US Politics XXXII: Cancel my subscription to the insurrection - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #981
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:46 PM
I hear a lot of complaints, but no solutions.

If they had complete party support to kill the filibuster, it could feasibly happen. But they don't.

If they had the votes to pass a minimum wage increase, they would. But they don't.

Fighting the GOP to a draw isn't the way to pass sweeping legislation. They had the chance to make significant gains on election night and they blew it. So now we're forced to settle for a scenario where a couple of defectors can crash the party.

I'm less pessimistic than many about the Senate midterm elections because the map is pretty favorable, but they're going to get their ass kicked in the House and watching party control flip flop in Congress so frequently has mentally prepared me for this circumstance.

Our system of governance is fundamentally broken and I'm not sure what to do about it with the country so divided.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #982
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:46 PM
There is a solution. Win more seats.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #983
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Yes. Win more

OR....

Split the country up.

Both seem nearly impossible to happen. The former has a chance because of it being a simpler solution, but for democracy to survive relying on such massive turnout every single cycle feels a bit hopeless too.

I’m not really afraid of Trump winning again, but what someone much smarter can do with what the roadmap he created

https://twitter.com/jaynordlinger/st...178553350?s=21

https://twitter.com/jaynordlinger/st...705296392?s=21
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #984
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
There is a solution. Win more seats.

My hope, and it is a small one, is that Trump turns out a nonvoter who will go back to nonvoting.

Suburban revulsion at the GQP has to be sustained for the next 2 years, and a credible argument must be built that basically says “we’ve done well passing legislation that is clearly popular and helpful and which the other side also opposes opposes because they do not wish to help you; imagine what we could do if you vote these psychopaths out.”

I hope the racist gerrymanders underway in red states blow up in their faces, as if often does. A great way to get someone to vote is to try and prevent from from voting.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #985
Blue Crack Addict

Things are not looking good for Gov Cuomo

(CNN)A second former aide to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is accusing him of sexual harassment, according to the New York Times.

The former aide, Charlotte Bennett, alleges that Cuomo asked her questions about her sex life, whether she had monogamous relationships and if she ever had sex with older men, according to the Times. Bennett told the newspaper that the alleged incidents happened late last spring, during the height of the state's fight against the coronavirus.

Bennett was previously an executive assistant and health policy adviser in the Democratic governor's administration until she left in November, according to the Times. Bennett recounted one particular episode to the Times that allegedly occurred on June 5, in which she was alone with Cuomo in his office in Albany.
The 25-year-old, according to the Times, said the Democratic governor had asked her a series of personal questions, including stating that he was open to relationships with women in their 20s, which Bennett interpreted as clear overtures to a sexual relationship.

CNN has reached out to Bennett for comment on the latest accusation.

In a statement on Saturday, Cuomo denied the allegations saying he believed he had been acting as a mentor and had "never made advances toward Ms. Bennett, nor did I ever intend to act in any way that was inappropriate."

Cuomo said he had requested an "outside review" of the matter and asked that New Yorkers await the findings "before making any judgments."

"I will have no further comment until the review has concluded," Cuomo said.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #986
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/domeniconpr/stat...002356227?s=21

That’s a lot of states introducing new laws. Not every one of them are nefarious and evil intent, but a lot of them are.

Needing miracles to win every election isn’t a recipe for success. We did it in 2020, but 2022 and 2024 seem like it’ll take a bigger effort.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #987
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Not every one of them are nefarious and evil intent [...]
Maybe not, but why is there acceptance for voting being so complicated in the first place? When I turned 16, I became eligible to vote in local elictions. At 18, I became eligibe to vote in all elections. All I need is to register at a physical address, then I automatically start to receive a letter a few months before the election.

Why do people accept that voting is being made so complicated, and so many people get barred from voting?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #988
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:46 PM
They accept it for the same reason they accept a party where not one Senator, not a single one, voted to offer them economic relief. It's tribalism, and we've been rendered completely ineffective by it.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:19 PM   #989
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

In a statement on Saturday, Cuomo denied the allegations saying he believed he had been acting as a mentor and had "never made advances toward Ms. Bennett, nor did I ever intend to act in any way that was inappropriate."
Cause what most 25 year old women are looking for when they start a job in the political world is mentoring from a man in his 60s about sex with older men.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #990
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
My hope, and it is a small one, is that Trump turns out a nonvoter who will go back to nonvoting.

Suburban revulsion at the GQP has to be sustained for the next 2 years, and a credible argument must be built that basically says “we’ve done well passing legislation that is clearly popular and helpful and which the other side also opposes opposes because they do not wish to help you; imagine what we could do if you vote these psychopaths out.”

I hope the racist gerrymanders underway in red states blow up in their faces, as if often does. A great way to get someone to vote is to try and prevent from from voting.
Well lets be honest about 2022 for a second - it's a one issue election for the average American.

If life is normal again, the Democrats have a huge advantage in 2022; suppression tactics be damned.

If it isn't, all bets are off.

These next few months will decide the balance of power in 2022.

If we've got full schools and full ballparks and people going on vacation and a booming economy (even if it's an artificial one built on good feelings vs sound economic policy)? We win.

If there's a fuck up in the vaccine distribution, if one of these varients or perhaps a new one renders vaccines ineffective, if a few major school districts in key areas are still virtual in the fall? We're in deep shit.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #991
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Cause what most 25 year old women are looking for when they start a job in the political world is mentoring from a man in his 60s about sex with older men.
Thanks for commenting. By many accounts he's an arrogant person who likes to intimidate and bully people. Speaking that way to a woman in the workplace is clearly sexual harassment. So if he did, the jig is up.

She reported it to that same woman who wrote about the nursing home situation. I believe she was then transferred.

My gut tells me that many people have covered up his behavior for a long time, including women working for him. I wanted to believe in the guy last year, mostly because Trump was so hopeless regarding covid.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #992
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Thanks for commenting. By many accounts he's an arrogant person who likes to intimidate and bully people. Speaking that way to a woman in the workplace is clearly sexual harassment. So if he did, the jig is up.

She reported it to that same woman who wrote about the nursing home situation. I believe she was then transferred.

My gut tells me that many people have covered up his behavior for a long time, including women working for him. I wanted to believe in the guy last year, mostly because Trump was so hopeless regarding covid.
Yeah I wanted to give him benefit of the doubt when the first allegation surfaced, always possible a one off is a disgruntled former employee or something, but when the second allegation surfaces, hard to believe there's no fire when there's that much smoke.
He's in the age range (I've seen it) where a certain percentage of folks just think that it is OK to talk to people in the way his accusers described and say he never intended for it to be uncomfortable for the women or whatever the excuse is. Workplace behavior has largely (thankfully) undergone a big (and quite needed) dynamic shift in recent years, but old school guys like a Cuomo probably don't see any need to adjust their behavior until they get in trouble.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #993
Blue Crack Addict

Cuomo's statement is offensive-to call it flirtation and use the words misinterpreted and joking. He knows damn well what sexual harassment is.

If he wants to pursue women who don't have any work association with him and are his daughters' age, that's his business. This second woman even told him that she had played school sports against his daughters.

So gross. What if some guy his age did that to his daughters in their places of work?
Old 03-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #994
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
He's in the age range (I've seen it) where a certain percentage of folks just think that it is OK to talk to people in the way his accusers described and say he never intended for it to be uncomfortable for the women or whatever the excuse is. Workplace behavior has largely (thankfully) undergone a big (and quite needed) dynamic shift in recent years, but old school guys like a Cuomo probably don't see any need to adjust their behavior until they get in trouble.
Yes, this is a real struggle in many workplaces.

We basically have a generation of troglodytes on their way out, but unfortunately they are mostly in positions of power due to age and seniority. While it's not fair to call them all out, a very high percentage still says things that are shocking in this day and age. I experienced it today, and I'm a 41-year-old member of senior management, so you can only imagine. I'd say the generation of men under 45 is by and large of a different vintage.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #995
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/dianneg/status/1...619696641?s=21

The kicker is denying food and water to those waiting in line
Old 03-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #996
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Cuomo is done, I think.

Good riddance if he does go.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #997
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Cuomo is done, I think.

Good riddance if he does go.

She has never been employed by the governor or the state. But yes, what a creep

https://nypost.com/2021/03/01/gov-cuomo-accused-of-making-unwanted-advances-at-wedding/
Old 03-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #998
Blue Crack Addict

So Trump and Melania were vaccinated in Jan at the WH before they left, and it wasn't made public until now. Strange
Old 03-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #999
Blue Crack Distributor

Can't let the maga crew know that the Wuhan flu is real.

It's just an Ordinary Spring

Again.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #1000
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/tbishup/status/1...365163010?s=21

At least they’re open about it