US Politics XXXII: Cancel my subscription to the insurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the people pumping this gamestop stock are the exact same people who pumped the price of tulip bulbs in holland in 1636.

I would think since the House already impeached, it's not really a conflict of interest for him to be there, since he's a rep, though, right? This is all in the senate's hands now.

I could be totally wrong, and am happy to admit it if so.

It would be weird if house members couldn’t meet with a president under trial, but alas he is not president anymore.

Same as i thought with Trump, it is what it is.

Congress is broken with a death cult holding everything and everyone hostage.

I think Trump showed us that these EO are basically for show. I do expect the courts to probably strike down a few more

Reading down the Twitter responses - I prefer having the Senate trial even though baring a miraculous conversion of enough Rethugplicans to convict - it will fail their votes will be recorded, for posterity, and able to be used in 2022 campaigns.
Thendo the censure thing.

How about that Marjorie Taylor Greene video, when she harassed David Hogg (Parkland shooting survivor) on the street a couple of years ago? She is DEPLORABLE.
That was disgusting. I don't know what his temperment is, but I would have wanted to smack the crap out of her.

David was just interviewed on one of MSNBC's night talkers - I think Lawrence, or Rachel; possibly Chris, or Joy. I believe he said he gets harrassed like that a lot. :(

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1355006754833108996?s=21

All this suffering from total incompetence plus malice
Effing wow. :gah:

Same as i thought with Trump, it is what it is.

Congress is broken with a death cult holding everything and everyone hostage.

I think Trump showed us that these EO are basically for show. I do expect the courts to probably strike down a few more
I'm not sure why you are sayng this. As far as I know his EOs went into effect, and most stayed active.

Important tangent to that: I've heard there will be far amount of Federal judgeships will need filling by Biden. So maybe some good effects down the road. :up:

Last edited:
Good to Know We're Still Choosing Death
New York's Governor has crunched the numbers and decided we can all stand to see a bit more death in the name of a nice meal indoors.
Jack Crosbie
2:52 PM EST on Jan 29, 2021

Andrew Cuomo is the governor of New York, one of the hardest-hit states in the coronavirus pandemic. For serving in this role he has been showered with many awards, such as: an Emmy, a book deal, and the promise of future political prospects.

This sucks, because Andrew Cuomo is an absolute fraud with blood on his hands.

This is a painful subject. Throughout the pandemic I’ve become somewhat close with the owner of the Italian place across the street from my apartment, a young guy who finished construction on his new space just as the entire world shut down. He majored in music in school and his place is set up to have a little stage where all of his friends from his music program were supposed to come play. He’s staying afloat, probably because he expected to take a loss in the first few years anyway, but he knows that any scrap of indoor dining is going to make those margins just a bit better.

The problem is it is also going to kill people. How many? I’m not entirely sure. This is from an article in the New York Times last week:

“There are people who are going to want to relax the controls we have in place,” Dr. Shaman said. “If we start thinking, ‘We’ve got a vaccine, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, we can stop in a couple of months’ — that’s way too soon.”

The coming months are critical in the race to reduce new infections and deaths, since there will ultimately be fewer people for the virus to infect as the pandemic drags on.

Lifting restrictions in early February, after most health care workers and nursing home residents are set to be vaccinated, would still mean far more infections in the long run than keeping restrictions in place until mid-March, for example.

That article also included a few charts and graphs, which I won’t repost here because of copyrights, but one of them indicated that if we were to ditch social distancing, masking, and other prevention measures in February it could cause 29 million more infections even as the vaccine goes round.

Obviously, Andrew Cuomo allowing people to have little Valentines’ dates indoors is not going to be solely responsible for double-digit millions of COVID cases, but the trend is there. (At the same briefing, Cuomo also said that people could get engaged in February and then have a 150 person wedding with rapid testing as early as March, when venues will open at half-capacity, which seems just completely insane). This is what we’re doing.

Cuomo has crunched the numbers and done the math and decided that New York’s restaurants at 25% capacity will cause the city an acceptable amount of deaths given the economic stimulus it will provide to the restaurants involved. (This, in turn, will be cheaper than directly giving money to subsidize those restaurants so they can remain in business doing take-out and delivery only). He is having his cake and eating it indoors too, and the only price that he will pay is that some more of his constituents will die. Restaurant workers, for instance, are second to last in the state’s tiered vaccine rollout plan.

The good news is that people are slowly catching on. Continued reporting on just how bad and shortsighted Cuomo was throughout all this is slowly convincing even the absolute dumbest of pundits in the mainstream media that maybe this guy isn’t a Genius Leader after all. I mean, Chris Cillizza has even figured out that something is up with the dude.

We have known how to stop this thing all along. You need to force people to stay inside their homes for weeks on end and you need to pay them to do so, while also ensuring that when they leave their homes they will still have their jobs and their business will not have crumbled. This takes a lot of money, which we have. The ways of getting through the pandemic are very simple: either you spend a lot of money, or you spend a lot of lives and maybe slightly less money. Andrew Cuomo, for his part, is continuing to write the book on the latter.
https://discourseblog.com/andrew-cuomo-indoor-dining-new-york/

This is discouraging!

He's been a joke since the beginning and bought a few months of good graces that have long been used up.

What really discourages me is California also folding.

This all, of course, goes back to the fact that this lock down has been too long and the federal response from the beginning caused it. I've given up caring what anyone else does, I'm just keeping my home safe. Even my family members who were being smart before are acting stupid. At least my mom and sister are vaccinated now.

He's been a joke since the beginning and bought a few months of good graces that have long been used up.

What really discourages me is California also folding.

This all, of course, goes back to the fact that this lock down has been too long and the federal response from the beginning caused it. I've given up caring what anyone else does, I'm just keeping my home safe. Even my family members who were being smart before are acting stupid. At least my mom and sister are vaccinated now.

Agree.

I think they screwed up by closing the outdoor dining and salons this second lockdown. It forced everyone indoors and people were tired of the restrictions. So we saw a huge increase in cases.

Now we are opening things back up just as the UK bug is set to take over.

Europe has shown the only way to stop that bug from wrecking everything is a complete and total lockdown. With our initial failures i don’t see how that would be a viable option

We’ll know by mid to end February if it spreads out of control

If the GOP continues to stay silent on these matters the extremist Q will become the party platform

If the GOP continues to stay silent on these matters the extremist Q will become the party platform
Too late for that, broseph.

https://youtu.be/x30fYiwKm4U

The last hope the GOP had of saving their party was to let Trump and how whole Patriot Party idea take hold. But as with everything over the past 5 years they were too scared to stand up to the orange menace.

To think... all they had to do was get a couple of these assholes to drop out of the 2015 primaries earlier and none of this would be going on.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Trumps legal team has quit about a week out before senate trial. Things are going swell

But jury intimidation is more important than a good lawyer

Paraphrasing but wasn’t it said difference between a cult and religion is about 100 years.

With social media i think it’s reduced the timeframe to 10 mins

Still have nightmares of the U2 suu ki masks.
That was maybe one of the worst moments in U2 history. I remember telling an Amnesty International person that I would refuse to wear that mask before the concert and she gave me a bunch of attitude. In hindsight I should have yelled "MY BODY MY CHOICE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom