US Politics XXXII: Cancel my subscription to the insurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LSKQDR64NZCHDBSOK5K7ZDPU3Y.jpg

That's got to be a Fox reporter who asked the press secretary why the Bidens weren't masked the entire time on federal property yesterday. Since Biden signed the mandate for federal property.

Dr. Fauci said today that it's not true that the Biden administration is starting from scratch with vaccine distribution, because "there has been some activity" with distribution.

Not ashamed to admit that I shed some tears watching the first woman VP sworn in. I wonder if there will ever be a female President sworn in. But I definitely celebrate today.
I'm almost never ashamed to cry. I cried and laughed with joy seeing her sworn in! :hyper:
There will be. Not sure it will be soon (unless Uncle Joe kicks the bucket), but it will happen.
Hopefully w both of my parents long lives I've got some chance, and I better be cogent, too. (A very good chance)

Just wish so badly that my Mom had lived to see the first woman VP. And to see Trump leave, she couldn't stand him and all he stands for.
:( :hug::hug::hug:
I'm so sorry.

My mom was gone. She might have just made it to the campaign/win if what happened didn't (all long lived siblings!) As a staunch liberal, a serious golden rule person who taught me (my dad too but was around her more), a kind of sjw before her time. She would hated, abhored drumph's cruelty, vile racism, and violent sexism, kids in cages, etc! omg

They were made by a teacher from VT, he wore them on the campaign trail. They're made from repurposed wool sweaters and lined with fleece made from recycled plastic bottles.
Yeah saw that last night . Very cool!
I just hope somewhere, Trump is watching this and weeping uncontrollably.
:lmao: So THIS.
Same. So cool to see her making history like this :up: :).

Absolutely lovely inauguration. The speeches were wonderful, the performances beautiful and moving. I know we've got a long road ahead in terms of all that needs to be repaired and improved and whatnot. I do not for one minute believe things will be resolved overnight, nice as that would be, nor do I envy Biden and Harris the Herculean task ahead of them.

But I definitely wish them, and the Democrats as a whole, well in their efforts going forward. I hope there will be many significant positive changes coming our way at long last, and that the dark days of Trumpism and all the ugliness that comes with it will soon be nothing but a distant, awful memory, and an important lesson we carry with us going forward, so we never go through this sort of nightmare again.

In the meantime, today, I'm going to celebrate and breathe. I'm going to rejoice in the fact that Trump is at long last GONE, and I will no longer have to give a shit about what he said or did today, and I can feel safe and comfortable going to sleep again at night. It's a strange feeling to adjust to, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

I hope he and his family are nervously staring at their door, awaiting a potential knock from law enforcement, and worrying about which criminal/civil battles they'll have to deal with first.
Great ceremonies! Loved Lady Gaga's singing and outfit!
Amanda's Gorman's poem was magical, magnificent, and majestic! :heart: The night celebration was wonderful, and oh, those fireworks!!!

I'm soooo looking forward to his trial(s)! :hyper:

I read an article earlier about Q Anon losing their minds today..oh wait, that already happened.

I would say though, there could have been a hidden message in Bernie's mittens. And Lady Gaga's giant dove.
Absolutely! :huh:

Out of curiosity can these EO be challenged by the courts ?

I assume that the GOP being out of power in DC leaves them the only option to fight everything up to the SC

Otherwise why work so hard to install these judges ?

Ugh, you make sense, unfortunately. But maybe not all will be defeated. And if it takes time at least some good will come of it.

Last edited:
The United States has re-joined the Paris Accord, the Muslim Ban is gone, DACA is safe(among several other executive orders were signed), and Democrats officially have control of the Senate, completing the trifecta. It's a good day.
:love:
The past few hours of first “official duties” have been a breath of fresh air. Hope it stays that way for as long as possible. ❤️
Yes. We gotta work hard.

If you don't mind me asking what's your feeling on Puerto Rico Statehood, or Free Country. I'd send blessings what ever is decided. Welcome you as a State. As a country I'd hope to somehow make enough $ to revisit - spend some money on ya! And I never got to see the second Western part of Old Town. Nor walk the Paseo del Moro!
As a NYC'r known a lot of Nuricans. :) (I don't know hink that's spelled quite right!
I'm looking forward to politics being boring again.
Omg, waaaaay less doomscrolling! Pheeeew!

Oh, yeah, his fucking hands in the Insurrection Pie! Making and Baking! Take him mto trial now!

Springsteen. Land Of Hope And Dreams. Perfect.
Love that song! Perfect.
So let us leave behind a country
better than the one we were left with
Every breath from my bronze-pounded chest,
we will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one
We will rise from the gold-limbed hills of the west,
we will rise from the windswept northeast
where our forefathers first realized revolution
We will rise from the lake-rimmed cities of the midwestern states,
we will rise from the sunbaked south
We will rebuild, reconcile and recover
and every known nook of our nation and
every corner called our country,
our people diverse and beautiful will emerge,
battered and beautiful
When day comes we step out of the shade,
aflame and unafraid
The new dawn blooms as we free it
For there is always light,
if only we’re brave enough to see it
If only we’re brave enough to be it
WHAT a poem! My sis and I were there for Clinton's first Inauguration and so we heard Maya!

And, oh, Art, The Arts & Culture in the WH Again!!! :love:

Last edited:
I’ve been out of commission for a bit as we had to deal with a very sudden death of our dog - from healthy to dead in a week, and he was only 7 (a GSD). Just a devastating experience for us and our kids and today was the first day I really plugged back into work, other things. And honest to God just seeing Trump on that plane felt like enormous relief, like we’d all been so damn tired for so long and now he was gone.

And not going to lie, the thought of Biden’s two shepherds moving in today, shortly after we said goodbye to ours makes it a bit easier. Dogs >>> people.

Oh, anitram, I am SO sorry! :hug:

A very good friend lost her handsome boy cat back in Nov. She couldn't even talk on the phone for a few days just a little text at first. I was one of her main virtual shoulders from suspected illness to aftermath of weeks, so yeah. Glad I could be there for here.

Glad you'll get get some comfort from the First Doggos.

Last edited:
:slant:

I don't know about any of you but while
I am taking some deep wonderful breaths I
also don't quite feel it's real.
It's not like I'm checking every few hours if he's there,
but it doesn't feel totally solid yet.

I definitely chalk it up to PTSD.
Which I had due to being stuck with a verbally, and violent roommate for years.
-trigger warning-

Which because one of the things she did was
run down our long hallway after she went semi-psycho and I'd run from the living room to my room she'd be throwing herself at my door a bunch of times while screaming various invectives at me.

In this past late Oct onward I'd go and lay down on my bed and be on line for a few hours but not sleeping.
But the day after the Insurrection I kept falling a sleep as I followed stuff, every two hours or so for like over a week!
I'm very sure that that unconsciously triggered me.
Ugh!

Last edited:
I bet this will be successful

View attachment 12779

Apparently from what I've heard she never even wound up filing them, because she "thought it'd be easier" than it turned out to be to do such a thing. Yeah.

Also, just in case anyone needed more reasons to despise her, there's this news story that popped up today as well:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1352374176468840450

Somebody on Twitter started referring to her as "Klan of Green Gables" and now that's become a thing.

:slant:

I don't know about any of you but while
I am taking some deep wonderful breaths I
also don't quite feel it's real.
It's not like I'm checking every few hours if he's there,
but it doesn't feel totally solid yet.

I definitely chalk it up to PTSD.
Which I had due to being stuck with a verbally, and violent roommate for years.
-trigger warning-

I made the PTSD comparison the other day as well. It definitely seems a fitting description. I know how you feel-today when I got online I had to remind myself, "Oh, right, it's okay to read the news again."

Nearly 1 in 5 defendants charged in relation to the attack on the U.S. Capitol have served in the military, an NPR analysis finds.

To put that number in perspective, only 7% of all American adults are veterans.

[TWEET]1352668464134152193[/TWEET]

This is a pleasant surprise to me. Democrats must get out of the business of trying to help people in ways they won't understand. Direct aid is better than tax credits. It's better politics and it's simpler to understand, so long as you don't make it means tested to hell.

Effin' good! :angry: :censored: Track and get as much as possible the ws+ terrorists.

Source: Politico

President Joe Biden has asked the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to conduct a “comprehensive threat assessment” of domestic extremism following the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol by a violent mob that left five people dead.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki announced on Friday that Biden decided to ask for the review, which will be coordinated with the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, because “clearly more needs to be done” to address the rising threat posed by violent extremists across the country.

“The January 6th assault on the capitol and the tragic deaths and destruction that occurred underscored what we have long known: the rise of domestic violent extremism is a serious and growing national security threat,” Psaki said. “The Biden administration will confront this threat with the necessary resources and resolve.”

The pro-Trump rioters who breached the Capitol earlier this month included members of the alt-right, self-described “Western chauvinist” Proud Boys and far-right militia groups Oath Keepers and Three Percenters. All three groups have increasingly provided security or worked alongside neo-Nazi and white supremacist factions, according to national security experts.

Read more: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/22/white-house-assessment-domestic-extremism-461390

[TWEET]1352668464134152193[/TWEET]

This is a pleasant surprise to me. Democrats must get out of the business of trying to help people in ways they won't understand. Direct aid is better than tax credits. It's better politics and it's simpler to understand, so long as you don't make it means tested to hell.
This is effectively UBI for parents and I'm here for it. It could have a very significant impact on child poverty.

Sooooo

Trump tried to get his lackey to use the DOJ to overturn the GA election results but were stopped because the threat of mass resignations.

Our institutions didn’t hold cause they’re so strong and perfect, they held because of a few good men and women did the right thing.

Lastly, i see the media is going to continue the “Let’s ask what Trump voters want for the country!”

When do we get what Biden voters want ?

I imagine stories like the one about the DOJ may explain part, if not all, of why the trial isn't until the 8th. Plenty of opportunity for more stories like this to come out, and plenty more opportunity for the Democrats to gather as much evidence and and as many witnesses as needed, so they can present an airtight case.

And if the GOP still refuses to go along with conviction after all this, then that's just going to be one more gigantic stain on their party. And it'll give the Democrats even more reason to kick out as much of the traitorous GOP as possible.

Also, if anyone reads about the lengths Trump went to to try and overturn the results of this election, and still refuses to believe that Trump benefitted from Russian interference in the 2016 election, then they' really are a flat out moron.

This is really the last hope for the Republican party. Supposedly there is a small faction that is trying to convince GOP Senators to convict Trump and take the party back to some version of pre Trump days.

Sadly I don't see that happening.

This is really the last hope for the Republican party. Supposedly there is a small faction that is trying to convince GOP Senators to convict Trump and take the party back to some version of pre Trump days.

Sadly I don't see that happening.

Honestly the GOP are just really good at politics. Yes you can say they lost all branches in 2020 yet they still hold so much power and their messaging is always in lock step.

By them essentially saying they won’t convict Trump it turns people against bothering with impeachment. “Why bother with trial if no chance to convict???” “This only divides us more! Biden can’t afford to look like he’s mean to Trump!”

That’s the sentiment from people i talk to back in Iowa. That we should just move on and try to find compromises. I feel this is exactly how a democracy falls with this line of thinking.

I would rather we do the right thing no matter the outcome. If we get to 2025 and a new version of Trump has taken hold we’ll look back and say “Why didn’t we do something when we had the chance !!?!?”

My friend asked what if trying to impeach Trump, killing the filibuster ends up costing us the votes we need to win in 2022/2024 and my response is then our country is already lost.

I worry doing nothing tells the people who busted their asses, the minority communities that were literally voting to save their lives (while risking their own too) that nothing matters. If Dems suffer another Clinton like turnout it’s over and we’ll see that if they don’t at least try to bring some justice and pass legislation they said they would.

Or we can let Mitch continue to screw us over cause “unity”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom