US Politics XXXI-Lame Duck Obese Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And 99% of your party refuses to acknowledge the winner and has gone along with an attempted coup

Not my party but I'll accept the label anyway. Makes it simpler.

When you or Irvinski reference an attempted coup, it triggers me a little. In a good way, though.

I chuckle :)

But are you chuckling because the notion is absurd?

If so, I mean, maybe from his agenda it’s absurd, but at the low level look at the nutjobs who are drinking the juice going around conveniently determining that sufficient fraud exists to nullify the election if and only if the president benefits from it. This makes me chuckle.

Not my party but I'll accept the label anyway. Makes it simpler.

When you or Irvinski reference an attempted coup, it triggers me a little. In a good way, though.

I chuckle :)

Do you believe there was massive fraud in the 2020 election that would warrant this behavior ?

Considering every court has struck down all but one case, what would you call the behavior of Trump and those working for him ?

Even today Trump refuses to concede or state that he lost the election without massive fraud.

A White House liaison tied to Stephen Miller has been banished from the DOJ for trying to gather sensitive investigation information regarding this “fraud”. So do you believe that the DOJ is part of the deep state cover up ?

Again, what do you call these actions taken by Trump, Rudy, and others?

Because it’s been so unsuccessful and frankly quite stupid doesn’t make it less of a coup.

The President is trying everything he can to overthrow the votes of the American public. At the same time he is grifting the shit out of his base.

Can’t wait for your one sentence comment that answers nothing

You guys are responding as if you're conversing with someone who is doing so in good faith.

The party of "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" and "drain the swamp of political elites" is shitting on a person for making an honest day's wage to support herself. The definition of hypocrisy, as if there was any doubt.

Exactly. And the Trump devotees who hate "elites" so much (even though he is the definition of one and they can't/won't even see that) shit all over her for that too.

Money well spent, I'm sure it's a literary masterpiece.

The Daily Beast

The Republican National Committee paid more than $300,000 in October to a company owned by Donald Trump Jr. to purchase copies of his new, self-published book.

Autographed copies of the book, Liberal Privilege, were given out to donors who contributed between $50 and $100 to the RNC, according to a source familiar with the arrangement. The source said the promotion raised substantial sums for Republicans in the final stretch of the election.

The RNC’s payment—for $303,892.47 on October 28—went not to Trump Jr. directly but to a company called Pursuit Venture LLC. Corporate records in Delaware, where the company was formed in late 2018, list the president’s eldest son as its principal. The RNC’s payment was itemized as “donor mementos.

It’s common for political groups to buy books written by prominent public officials and offer them as gifts for their financial supporters, and GOP committees have purchased books for their donor promotions this year that were authored by people who are not related to the president, including Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the RNC’s payment to Trump Jr.’s company in October was the largest single payment—out of more than 700—that the committee has ever reported for donor “mementos” or “gifts,” according to Federal Election Commission filings.

I'm all for student debt cancellation. But if it doesn't come with substantial higher ed reform that will prevent the situation from spiraling again, the relief won't be meaningful on a macro scale.

Agreed entirely. But I think the same thing about health care. Don’t bandaid an infected wound that needs to be flushed of bacteria first.

I'm all for student debt cancellation. But if it doesn't come with substantial higher ed reform that will prevent the situation from spiraling again, the relief won't be meaningful on a macro scale.

There's a real question of equity and fairness that makes it difficult though.
What about the person who worked their butt off to pay for college without taking loans, how is it fair to that person to see others get their loans wiped clean?
And how do they address the next generation of students?
All these people who have outstanding loans currently get them eliminated and the current high school kids have to take out loans to pay starting next year?

:shrug: i graduated 12 years ago and still have 9k left on a 32k student loan, and i really wouldn't mind at all if gen z's student loans were forgiven. that's one of those "a rising tide raises all boats" things.

the legislation for sure needs to be propped up with provisions that prevent the colleges and banks from just extracting that wealth from the next generation though. that's the hard part.

The main part of Hewsons point I’ll agree with is you can’t just cancel debt now and then let people re-debt themselves. Need a new plan.

We bit the bullet and paid off the rest of my husband’s student loans this year. I doubt we would have qualified to get them cancelled, but he comes from a background as economically challenging as I’m sure anybody posting on a U2 board, and he/we got it done. He basically has been paying his own way for everything since he was 18.

And it’s fine. This is where we understand that we are fortunate, just as we vote against our pure economic self-interests. Granted, I’ve lost my humanity over the years and am a bad person, so maybe that’s why I can understand why this could generate some resentment on a micro level.

I agree with the “rising tide” theory, as well as higher ed reform. But people are people. And this needs to be handled well so it doesn’t feel like getting screwed because you were diligent and responsible. Not that diligent and responsible people dont have student loans. But you see what I mean.

Are articles like these conservative plants to disincentivize Democratic voting or is there something here?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/4/trump-election-rhetoric-has-georgia-republicans-concerned

Trump’s election rhetoric has Georgia Republicans concerned

As control of US Senate hinges on upcoming Georgia runoffs, worries grow that Donald Trump’s supporters will not vote.

The Republican Party’s only hope for maintaining a majority in the United States Senate in the first years of Joe Biden’s presidency rests on Georgia runoff elections next month. But a vocal group within the party is undermining that effort by casting doubt on the legitimacy of the election.

Hundreds of supporters of President Donald Trump gathered on Wednesday for a rally in a park near Atlanta to hear lawyers Lin Wood and Sidney Powell, a former member of Trump’s legal team, and called for Georgians to boycott the vote on January 5.

Wood and Powell echoed Trump’s baseless assertions that the November election was rigged and openly discouraged Republican voters from casting ballots again this time around.

“We are not going to allow ourselves to go back in the polling booth,” said Wood at the rally, which was streamed online and viewed by thousands of people, before urging the crowd not to support Republican Senators David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler.

“They have not earned your vote. Don’t you give it to them? Why would you go back and vote in another rigged election?”

He added later: “Maybe it’s time to look beyond the Democrats and the Republicans.”

Powell, who was removed from Trump’s legal team in November, alleged without evidence that the voting machines used in Georgia and dozens of other states were compromised and that Georgians should refuse to vote again next month.

“There should not be a runoff,” she said. “Make it known that you will not vote at all unless your vote is secure.”

The rally highlighted the potentially severe consequences of having a president who constantly undermines the integrity of the US voting system, but who is also a member of a party that is trying to win another election.

“For Republicans, Trump can be a blessing and a curse,” Jessica Taylor, the Senate and Governors editor for the non-partisan Cook Political Report, told Al Jazeera. “You need Trump to get out the base, and he’s been effective at that. They need him to do that. But what is he going to say … He has spent weeks battling the Republican governor and the Republican secretary of state.”

The rally also set off alarm bells for members of the GOP, which is pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into the state for the elections, and leading members of the party are increasingly calling on people to ignore calls for a boycott and cast their ballots in the runoffs.

“Some have talked about staying home,” Georgia State Representative Vernon Jones, a Republican who is Black, said at the rally.

“I think about Dr Martin Luther King, and I think about all those people in the movement. They were kicked and they were beat and some of them were even killed just to be able to go and vote … You have to come out.”

[TWEET]1334481301701881858[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Well he’s not yet lost, nor like others who have come and gone. No reason to give up on him until he gives you one.

Thank ya kindly.

After 16+ years on the changing forum, though, maybe it's past time for this guy to be Gone.

At least we all had U2 in common. :up::heart::up:

(CNN)Rudy Giuliani, the personal attorney to President Donald Trump, has tested positive for Covid-19, Trump announced.

"Get better soon Rudy, we will carry on!!!" Trump wrote Sunday on Twitter.

Giuliani has not announced his diagnosis.

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace interrupted Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on Sunday after Azar referred to Joe Biden as "vice president" rather than "president-elect."

"We welcome Vice President Biden to the club," Azar said on "Fox News Sunday." "Since the middle of April ... the president's guidelines have called for -"

Before Azar could finish, Wallace interjected, "He's the president-elect, sir. He's the president-elect."

Azar did not respond to Wallace, pressing ahead and saying President Trump has "called masks patriotic."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom