US Politics XXX: The type of film Donald wants to watch Ivanka in - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #801
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 08:00 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Old 11-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #802
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:00 PM
I find myself still anxious about the state of our body politic going forward, even with the Biden victory, for the following reasons:

1. Even with this victory, 70M people voted for Trump, and a good portion of them may view Biden as illegitimate, as ridiculous as it sounds. I truly hope that nothing suspicious happened in any state that matters, because they will run with any evidence of even the smallest irregularity.

2. If the GOP holds on to the Senate, it could both handcuff Biden and set them up to say, 'look, Biden hasn't gotten anything done' in 2022.

3. There is already infighting within the Democratic Party. Seems like the left wing of the party kept relatively quiet long enough to win this election, but now they're starting to speak up. I largely agree with the left wing's policy goals - Single Payer, Green New Deal, Living Minimum Wage, etc - but I am not a fan of the scorched earth tactics employed by AOC, Bernie, etc. I fear this kind of antagonism within the party could be a problem.

4. The question of where does the Lincoln Project fit into all of this. These are former Republicans who have made it their mission to defeat Trump and Trumpism. But if you look around, there is disagreement within the Democratic Party about how friendly we should be to them. Some say, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend, we need all the help we can get'. But other say, 'these people actively worked against most if not all of our policy goals for years if not decades, they are not our friends'. I guess this could be a part of #3 above.

5. The SCOTUS majority and how it could affect anything and everything going forward.

6. And finally - I know this election just happened, but I still think about it - the question of whether or not Biden will run again in 2024 and the question of whether or not Trump will run again in 2024. Many have assumed that given his age, Biden will not run again, but he himself has never said that. Whether or not he has to start a re-election campaign as soon as the 2022 midterms are over could be a factor in some things. And the spectre of another Trump run could hover over everything like an ominous cloud on the horizon.

I'm sorry, I know we just won this election and everyone is trying to be happy and optimistic right now, and I usually am annoyed by this doom-and-gloom posting style, but this is what I'm feeling right now. I want to be happy and excited, but I am struggling to relax.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #803
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yeah. But let's not lose sight of the fact that Trump's anti-scientific approach and profound lack of empathy made the pandemic uniquely challenging for his reelection chances. It did not necessarily have to sink him and there are leaders and governors throughout the west that did a good job with it, at least initially.

I'll never forget how popular Bush was after 9/11; it's always possible to take a historic low and spin it as a victory. Just not for Trump.
No question. He was handed an opportunity to lead and botched it about as badly as possible.
My point is that he would have won had no pandemic occurred cause he'd just have been riding the coat tails of a strong economy that he had little to do with (no President really has as much of an effect on the economy as large swaths of the populace perceive), because enough folks would have just voted with their wallets which is the norm.

Once Covid hit, his presidency came to a cross roads, and he didn't just take the wrong road, he drove straight off a cliff,
Old 11-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #804
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 AM
I think everyone can agree that the battle is faaaaaaar from over because it never actually ends.

Defeating Trump was just the end of this series. Like winning the World Series. Next season still comes along. But Trump’s career is almost over, and that juicing shitbag can’t haunt us forever.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #805
Blue Crack Supplier

Ben Carson the latest to have GOPvid-19.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #806
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I find myself still anxious about the state of our body politic going forward, even with the Biden victory, for the following reasons:

1. Even with this victory, 70M people voted for Trump, and a good portion of them may view Biden as illegitimate, as ridiculous as it sounds. I truly hope that nothing suspicious happened in any state that matters, because they will run with any evidence of even the smallest irregularity.
It doesn't even matter if there was anything legitimately suspicious or not. They'll just make some shit up to fit their narrative - i.e. the campaign met it's end at a landscaping shop in north philly not because they're dumb and thought it was a luxury hotel, but rather because the nefarious democrats are burning ballots in the crematorium next door.

we DO need to reconcile why so many people in our country voted for an obviously corrupt and inept person - but fuck i honestly don't know what else can be done if his obvious body of work wasn't enough. if he went on TV tomorrow and said that all of his supporters are idiots and admit to years of criminal wrongdoing and large swaths of his supporters will think it's fake.

it will take decades to unravel this mess. if we ever can.

Quote:
2. If the GOP holds on to the Senate, it could both handcuff Biden and set them up to say, 'look, Biden hasn't gotten anything done' in 2022.

3. There is already infighting within the Democratic Party. Seems like the left wing of the party kept relatively quiet long enough to win this election, but now they're starting to speak up. I largely agree with the left wing's policy goals - Single Payer, Green New Deal, Living Minimum Wage, etc - but I am not a fan of the scorched earth tactics employed by AOC, Bernie, etc. I fear this kind of antagonism within the party could be a problem.

4. The question of where does the Lincoln Project fit into all of this. These are former Republicans who have made it their mission to defeat Trump and Trumpism. But if you look around, there is disagreement within the Democratic Party about how friendly we should be to them. Some say, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend, we need all the help we can get'. But other say, 'these people actively worked against most if not all of our policy goals for years if not decades, they are not our friends'. I guess this could be a part of #3 above.
i'm trying all three of these together because to me they're all connected.

the biggest threat to the democratic party IS the democratic party.

Trumpism has driven people away from the republicans en masse and allowed them to circle the wagons around their special brand of xenophobic nationalistic conspiracy theory driven rhetoric. We know who they are.

Who are the democrats? With the GOP rejecting civility and decency it's made the democratic party too big for it's own good.

The left has made it clear that incremental change - slowly pushing the country left with each passing year - is no longer acceptable. OK. Fine.

But how do you pass a far left agenda if nobody on the right is willing to go along with you? You can't. And even a slim majority (if we win both GA seats) won't do anything because purple senators in red states will not always go along with a far left agenda. You need a healthy margin, which doesn't seem possible without some structural changes.

On the flip side -compromise too much with the right and you're going to lose the progressives. AOC is already making noise. My main issue with the left has always been not in their ideas, but in how they can possibly push those ideas through the way our government is structured. Compromise is necessary to get anything done.

Quote:

5. The SCOTUS majority and how it could affect anything and everything going forward.

6. And finally - I know this election just happened, but I still think about it - the question of whether or not Biden will run again in 2024 and the question of whether or not Trump will run again in 2024. Many have assumed that given his age, Biden will not run again, but he himself has never said that. Whether or not he has to start a re-election campaign as soon as the 2022 midterms are over could be a factor in some things. And the spectre of another Trump run could hover over everything like an ominous cloud on the horizon.

I'm sorry, I know we just won this election and everyone is trying to be happy and optimistic right now, and I usually am annoyed by this doom-and-gloom posting style, but this is what I'm feeling right now. I want to be happy and excited, but I am struggling to relax.
it's not just the issue of trump hanging out there as a possible 2024 candidate (which I think is more of a threat to the GOP than democratic candidate, be it Biden or whomever) - but you will also have jockeying for position amongst the left -from Kamala to Pete to a leftist candidate, be that AOC or someone else (i don't see Bernie running again in 2024).

but for now i'm just going to enjoy this and hope for the best.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #807
Blue Crack Addict

Trump in 2024 will be the same age as Biden in 2020.

I agree it's probably more likely that he'll just be a nuisance and not really run, but who knows with him.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #808
Blue Crack Distributor

if you were wondering whether or not the GOP would go along with Trump's insanity or try to keep it in check, wonder no more...

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...92732355817473

the GA SOS is, of course, a republican. They'll eat their own to bow down to the glorious leader.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #809
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Trump in 2024 will be the same age as Biden in 2020.

I agree it's probably more likely that he'll just be a nuisance and not really run, but who knows with him.
Difference is Biden isn't morbidly obese.
Trump probably needs to make a couple of life style/diet changes if he wants to see 2024, let alone run again.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #810
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm not breaking any news here but Jesus Christ McConnell is an insufferable prick.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #811
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I'm not breaking any news here but Jesus Christ McConnell is an insufferable prick.
Anybody who calls themselves "Jesus Christ (insert last name here)" is likely to be a little full of themselves.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #812
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
if you were wondering whether or not the GOP would go along with Trump's insanity or try to keep it in check, wonder no more...

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...92732355817473

the GA SOS is, of course, a republican. They'll eat their own to bow down to the glorious leader.
If anything, this will hopefully harden the Georgia SOS to stick by the results even more. And being a Republican, that carries weight.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #813
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Rumor is Trump will fire Wray at FBI, and Gina H over at CIA

GOP will not refer to Biden as President Elect

I think we’ve found out new Benghazi for the short term, election fraud!!!

Democrats will try to govern and help with covid

GOP will want hearings after hearings on voting
Old 11-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #814
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/MemawJohnston/st...27740766183426
Old 11-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #815
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Once you read every action from the angle of "nothing other than power matters to the GOP" those statements from the GA candidates make eminent sense.

On Trump's 2024 chances. My instinct says this is terrible for the GOP as it will prevent anyone else from emerging and running against a pretty old Biden or Harris. But my instincts also though Trump winning the 2016 primaries was terrible for the GOP, and look where that got us.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #816
Blue Crack Addict

Republican Philadelphia City Commissioner Al Schmidt says his office, which runs the vote count, has received death threats.

https://cbsn.ws/3eMlPze
Old 11-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #817
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

I think we’ve found out new Benghazi for the short term,
Interesting way of defining the next four years.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #818
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

If Biden doesn't continue for a second term and Bernie is too old to do it. Then I think Trump would be pretty successful in 2024. Imagine doing rallies for 4 years along with a TrumpTV spewing propaganda for 34,000 hours until then. And who would be able to win against him? Is Harris going to win the midwest? Florida? TX? Hell, even AZ or GA?

And if not her... who?
Old 11-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #819
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

And also, probably would have been good foresight of the founding fathers to not let a president that was impeached (convicted or not) be able to run again.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #820
Blue Crack Addict

Trump is not going to be in the physical or mental state in 2024 to run.

However, he could be very irritating in the immediate future - next year or two, imagine the possibility for grift if he starts charging for entry into his rally events and God knows what else.

I also think that the odds of Biden being able to run in 2024 are extremely slim. Barring something changing in the next 4 years, I don't see Kamala Harris running strongly in a number of key states, but to womanfish's point, who else is there?

Time to trot out Michelle Obama.