US Politics XXX: The type of film Donald wants to watch Ivanka in - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #321
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,902
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Warren deserves a prestigious position in the cabinet. I hope she gets it, though I guess there is always the matter of the Senate balance.
I guess if Democrats lose the Senate it doesn't particularly matter, but I think the issue with her is that the Republican governor of MA would appoint a replacement?
__________________

gump is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #322
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,458
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I am also thrilled to give credit where it's due.



I'm not sure that any of the other D candidates could have pulled it off. Obviously we can never know and it's also a damn shame that it seems like women who are overqualified are still unable to take the lead. But at the end of the day, you have to take the win, and the whole world desperately needs this despot to fuck off to wherever he is going, as soon as possible.


This is silly. It bothers me that people are immediately crediting a white old man for retaking WI. And GA. And MI. And PA. AZ? Sure. The rest? Black people unanimously stood up to Donald Trump. Any candidate would have gotten the same luxury - it’s time we start actually paying attention. Joe Biden is not our hero. They are.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #323
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
This is silly. It bothers me that people are immediately crediting a white old man for retaking WI. And GA. And MI. And PA. AZ? Sure. The rest? Black people unanimously stood up to Donald Trump. Any candidate would have gotten the same luxury - it’s time we start actually paying attention. Joe Biden is not our hero. They are.
They absolutely are. And I wasn't giving credit to Joe Biden, but to womanfish.

I've said clearly here it's the people of colour and women in the suburbs who delivered the victory.

However, it's fairly clear that the socialist/communist/leftist/marxist attacks continue to work among certain segments of the population. And so long as that holds, it remains the case that Joe Biden, among the many candidates, was the only one who could pull it together enough to drag the EC across the line.
anitram is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #324
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,458
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
They absolutely are. And I wasn't giving credit to Joe Biden, but to womanfish.



I've said clearly here it's the people of colour and women in the suburbs who delivered the victory.



However, it's fairly clear that the socialist/communist/leftist/marxist attacks continue to work among certain segments of the population. And so long as that holds, it remains the case that Joe Biden, among the many candidates, was the only one who could pull it together enough to drag the EC across the line.


I disagree though. Biden isn’t showing anywhere on the map that he won a state by virtue of not being this “socialist” that he’s being accused of.

Reds showed up for Trump in GA like mad. In Florida he built a brand new source of votes that made the state not-competitive. Ohio was not competitive. This was a referendum on Trump from people within cities, and black people showed up. You could’ve had Vermin Supreme or Kanye West be the candidate, the results would’ve been the same. GA is in fact a testament to that. 29% of white people voted for democrats. You’ve got to figure that *it can’t get much worse* as in republican turnout “against socialism” or “in favor of trump” set records
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #325
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,195
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I may have written this earlier, but as the popular vote goes, this was t all that close, and will be even less close once they finish counting CA and NY.

This is a center/center-left population where the electoral system favors land over people, making the Senate and the Electoral College skew everything to the right of where the population as a whole is.

It doesn’t matter if you win DC by 93%. Or Sunnyside, Queens by 98%. Or Santa Monica. You have to win places like NC and GA and AZ. It sucks and the EC should go, but that’s simply the task at hand. I voted for Warren, and I think she would have been crushed.

So let’s enjoy this. And then figure out how to change our electoral process to prevent permanent minoritarian rule.
If we can't get rid of the EC, which, let's face it, we're not... I would really like more states to look at the model used by Maine and Nebraska.

It seems like a logical loophole around the bigger problem.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #326
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,911
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
If we can't get rid of the EC, which, let's face it, we're not... I would really like more states to look at the model used by Maine and Nebraska.

It seems like a logical loophole around the bigger problem.


It’s not even a loophole. The Constitution specially gives the states the right to determine that.

And yes, more states should do it.
phanan is online now  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #327
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Lost amidst all the chaos. Get with the program, or off with your head.

(CNN Business)Twitter permanently suspended an account belonging to former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon after he suggested Thursday morning that Dr. Anthony Fauci and FBI Director Christopher Wray should be beheaded. His comments were made in a video posted to his Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter accounts.

Bannon falsely claimed President Trump had won reelection, despite several key states still being too close to call, and said that he should fire both Fauci and Wray.

He then said he would go further: "I'd put the heads on pikes. Right. I'd put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats. You either get with the program or you are gone."


The comments came during a livestream of Bannon's "War Room: Pandemic" online show.

The video was live on Bannon's Facebook page for about 10 hours Thursday and had been viewed almost 200,000 times before Facebook removed it, citing its violence and incitement policies. CNN has reached out to Bannon for comment.


Earlier Thursday evening YouTube removed the video for violating its policy against "inciting violence." Twitter said it had permanently suspended the account of Bannon's "War Room" podcast for glorifying violence.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #328
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I disagree though. Biden isn’t showing anywhere on the map that he won a state by virtue of not being this “socialist” that he’s being accused of.

Reds showed up for Trump in GA like mad. In Florida he built a brand new source of votes that made the state not-competitive. Ohio was not competitive. This was a referendum on Trump from people within cities, and black people showed up. You could’ve had Vermin Supreme or Kanye West be the candidate, the results would’ve been the same. GA is in fact a testament to that. 29% of white people voted for democrats. You’ve got to figure that *it can’t get much worse* as in republican turnout “against socialism” or “in favor of trump” set records
MI, PA, WI.

If you didn't have those states, nobody would care about the GA result.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Biden outperformed Hillary with white men, while Trump performed better than in 2016 with virtually every minority group. I love Elizabeth Warren, but I don't see her having raised the % of white male voters in those three states.
anitram is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #329
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 10:54 PM
i will say that it is time for Nancy to let go of the gavel. i think she's done a good job these past two years. Trump was impeached, and despite some loses (which i'm sure we'll talk about soon) in the House, Trump has lost and we have 2 more years of Democratic control.

but time to step down. fresh blood. young blood.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #330
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,458
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
MI, PA, WI.



If you didn't have those states, nobody would care about the GA result.



You seem to be ignoring the fact that Biden outperformed Hillary with white men, while Trump performed better than in 2016 with virtually every minority group. I love Elizabeth Warren, but I don't see her having raised the % of white male voters in those three states.


All of those states have demographic splits to prove that black people by and large carried us on their backs, and I’m willing to bet a gazillion bucks it was not because they love Joe Biden.

Biden outperformed Hillary for two main reasons: 1) some white people in fact changed their mind about Donald Trump (hence the down ballot losses for democrats... all red cards with one not-red for president), and 2) Hillary Clinton was one of the most reviled candidates for president in modern times. Until, of course, Donald J. Trump.

I can’t express #2 enough. That’s how he got elected and that’s also how he is going to lose. Were this a regular republican I would buy your argument 100%, but given that it’s Trump, they didn’t care. They hated Trump, just the same way they didn’t care that Trump was a piece of shit because they hated Clinton.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #331
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,471
Local Time: 10:54 PM
apparently Kayleigh has started deleting her tweets on the way out.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,902
Local Time: 09:54 PM
I'm curious about how the GOP reacts to this. I think the inroads they had with Latinos as well as the really high turnout they had might be a mirage. Trump is not easily replicated even if one emulates him, and I am not sure the Trump base will be there next time without agitator-in-chief. I assume their next primary will be a bloodbath between the "polite" Republican and the Tom Cottons of the world.

But really, the point above about how to fight minority rule is the key question. Unfortunately Democrats seem to be pretty doomed here as this is the cycle that determined re-districting. It was a bloodbath on the local/state level. So I expect even more entrenched minority rule through the next decade.
gump is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #333
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,911
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i will say that it is time for Nancy to let go of the gavel. i think she's done a good job these past two years. Trump was impeached, and despite some loses (which i'm sure we'll talk about soon) in the House, Trump has lost and we have 2 more years of Democratic control.

but time to step down. fresh blood. young blood.


Definitely agree.
phanan is online now  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #334
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,902
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
All of those states have demographic splits to prove that black people by and large carried us on their backs, and I’m willing to bet a gazillion bucks it was not because they love Joe Biden.

Biden outperformed Hillary for two main reasons: 1) some white people in fact changed their mind about Donald Trump (hence the down ballot losses for democrats... all red cards with one not-red for president), and 2) Hillary Clinton was one of the most reviled candidates for president in modern times. Until, of course, Donald J. Trump.

I can’t express #2 enough. That’s how he got elected and that’s also how he is going to lose. Were this a regular republican I would buy your argument 100%, but given that it’s Trump, they didn’t care. They hated Trump, just the same way they didn’t care that Trump was a piece of shit because they hated Clinton.
I don't know where I stand on the "could another candidate win" question. But I really don't think you can make this claim given that black people overwhelmingly gave Biden the nomination in the primaries, and that Warren/Sanders really underperformed in that group. Biden's primary campaign was dead until South Carolina.
gump is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #335
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,081
Local Time: 08:54 PM
Arizona just went up for Biden!
mikal is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I may have written this earlier, but as the popular vote goes, this was t all that close, and will be even less close once they finish counting CA and NY.

This is a center/center-left population where the electoral system favors land over people, making the Senate and the Electoral College skew everything to the right of where the population as a whole is.

It doesn’t matter if you win DC by 93%. Or Sunnyside, Queens by 98%. Or Santa Monica. You have to win places like NC and GA and AZ. It sucks and the EC should go, but that’s simply the task at hand. I voted for Warren, and I think she would have been crushed.

So let’s enjoy this. And then figure out how to change our electoral process to prevent permanent minoritarian rule.


Same. Voted for Warren, and really thought a mom could win over the divide. Not a chance.

As you said most of the country is left of center but when it comes to the election

Medicare for all
Defund the police
Identity politics
Green New Deal

Those won’t win you the few states that matter. Joe was smart to basically provide non answers when asked about any of the above. And for the record I’m for all of the above minus the wording of the police one. I’d like to see complete overhaul of how we police a society.

The Dems need to figure out why minority voters flocked in even greater numbers to Trump and GOP this time. I read that the LBG&T community doubled in voter turnout for Trump.

We need to focus on an agnostic system versus always focusing on race. Fix the laws which will in turn fix racial biases.

Maybe Medicare for all picks up steam in those purple to red communities if the Supreme Court does indeed gut the law or make it worse.

I believe Biden needs to focus nearly all of his presidency on getting covid under control. Win the pandemic and you set up 2024 a little easier.

But it’s going to be challenging. GOP have every reason to block Joe and recovery as they see it as a way to win back power
BEAL is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #337
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,973
Local Time: 09:54 PM
DaveC is online now  
Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #338
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i will say that it is time for Nancy to let go of the gavel. i think she's done a good job these past two years. Trump was impeached, and despite some loses (which i'm sure we'll talk about soon) in the House, Trump has lost and we have 2 more years of Democratic control.

but time to step down. fresh blood. young blood.
I absolutely agree. 2022 will be very important and she needs to not be at the helm.
anitram is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #339
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,195
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I don't know where I stand on the "could another candidate win" question. But I really don't think you can make this claim given that black people overwhelmingly gave Biden the nomination in the primaries, and that Warren/Sanders really underperformed in that group. Biden's primary campaign was dead until South Carolina.
This.

African American voters are the reason why Biden won the primary, and they will be the reason he wins the presidency.

Obviously that vote is not a monolith, but I don't know how you can make the statement that Biden had nothing to do with it when it's been consistent since South Carolina.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #340
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,195
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
i absolutely agree. 2022 will be very important and she needs to not be at the helm.
100%
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×