US Politics XXVIII: But His Laptop From Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a devastating poll.

I have never understood the concept of undecided voters who end up deciding the weekend prior to an election. It’s strange enough under normal circumstances but when one of your options is Donald Trump, who in the world doesn’t have a strongly positive or negative reaction immediately? Nevertheless, these people do exist. And they tend to be swept up in last minute momentum, so it’s far more likely than not that they will break in favour of Biden.

I have to admit I don’t really remember Election Day 2016 too clearly, except for when the calamity about to hit us became obvious. Anyone here recall what the exit polls were like? I distinctly remember the shocked reactions of the pundits on tv generally which leads me to believe that exit polls didn’t clearly point to Trump - and how could they, given the tiny split in 3 states that handed him the victory.

I had said, I didn't think the Trumpers would sit back and watch millions vote and wait til election day. Well that seems to be the case. I don't think we will see the enormous split between early and ED voting that was being reported in the polls weeks or months ago.

When you have 70 to over 100% of the 2016 total already, I'm guessing that while Dems will obviously be heavier, it won't be as lopsided as once thought.
Two in particular are FL and TX. FL always has a lot of mail ins, usually used more by older Reps, and TX has very little mail in vote.

As long as it wasn't anyone in your family Junior. Yes I always go to his Instagram for factual information.

Donald Trump Jr. downplayed the impact of the coronavirus in the U.S. Thursday night, saying the death rate has dropped to "almost nothing" amid a rise in confirmed cases.

In an on-air interview with Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham, President Trump's son said he's examined Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics that show proper therapeutics and better knowledge on how to deal with COVID-19 have greatly reduced fatalities.

"The reality is this. If you look - I put it up on my Instagram a couple days ago because I went through the CDC data because I kept hearing about new infections but I was like, 'Why aren't they talking about deaths?' " he said, referring to the dramatic surge the U.S. has seen in the past week.

"Oh! Oh! Because the number is almost nothing. Because we've gotten control of this thing. We understand how it works - they have the therapeutics to be able to deal with this. If you look at that, look at my Instagram, it's gone down to almost nothing."

I have never understood the concept of undecided voters who end up deciding the weekend prior to an election. It’s strange enough under normal circumstances but when one of your options is Donald Trump, who in the world doesn’t have a strongly positive or negative reaction immediately? Nevertheless, these people do exist. And they tend to be swept up in last minute momentum, so it’s far more likely than not that they will break in favour of Biden.

I have to admit I don’t really remember Election Day 2016 too clearly, except for when the calamity about to hit us became obvious. Anyone here recall what the exit polls were like? I distinctly remember the shocked reactions of the pundits on tv generally which leads me to believe that exit polls didn’t clearly point to Trump - and how could they, given the tiny split in 3 states that handed him the victory.

I think the signs were there even a few days before the election, but once the returns started to come in after polls closed, it was pretty clear on the basis of district-level results that Clinton was doing really badly with the white working class. If I remember correctly, even as NH results were coming in (Clinton won it by a hair), that started to become quite obvious. I remember the NYT Needle going completely nuts.

At the same time, there were always people trying to interpret the early voting result in places like Florida and telling us that there was no way that Clinton could lose...

LM with a nice "if you think Trump is getting PA might as well call all 50 states for him".

I'm glad I was not online that day!

My recollection is that I was pretty on edge the whole last week leading up to the election after the Comey letter. I was damn confident in a Hillary victory until that point. Then, that last week after the letter, I was extremely nervous. You could feel it. When he won, I was sickened, but not actually shocked.

As long as it wasn't anyone in your family Junior. Yes I always go to his Instagram for factual information.

Donald Trump Jr. downplayed the impact of the coronavirus in the U.S. Thursday night, saying the death rate has dropped to "almost nothing" amid a rise in confirmed cases.

In an on-air interview with Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham, President Trump's son said he's examined Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics that show proper therapeutics and better knowledge on how to deal with COVID-19 have greatly reduced fatalities.

"The reality is this. If you look - I put it up on my Instagram a couple days ago because I went through the CDC data because I kept hearing about new infections but I was like, 'Why aren't they talking about deaths?' " he said, referring to the dramatic surge the U.S. has seen in the past week.

"Oh! Oh! Because the number is almost nothing. Because we've gotten control of this thing. We understand how it works - they have the therapeutics to be able to deal with this. If you look at that, look at my Instagram, it's gone down to almost nothing."

These morons still don't understand the concept of a lag. Hospitalizations in the midwest and places like El Paso are reaching alarming levels, mortality will follow. Not at the rates we saw in the spring, but a surge in deaths is coming.

These morons still don't understand the concept of a lag. Hospitalizations in the midwest and places like El Paso are reaching alarming levels, mortality will follow. Not at the rates we saw in the spring, but a surge in deaths is coming.

Yes. Not to mention the fact that most people don't have access to therapeutics the way his Daddy did.

Junior will really need lots of "coffee" Tuesday.

My take on undecided voters in 2016 and beyond remains constant: the silent minority. They’re voting for Trump they just can’t admit it.

let's just say we all had a stressful day and leave it at that

My stance on third party voters is unwavering still, but I’d like to revisit a point I made then and now. 1.7% voted for Gary Johnson. 46% did not vote at all.

People should vote third party if they believe they have to. Anyone who doesn’t vote sucks (unless they were gonna vote for Trump, then just stay home pls).

this is a bracing read:

https://www.vulture.com/article/ele...57.1555016849.1603840362-474630385.1530293108

LM with a nice "if you think Trump is getting PA might as well call all 50 states for him".

I'm glad I was not online that day!

And with the tipping point calculations being what they are, nothing has changed in four years!

the president has no legal authority to order any state to stop counting ballots, except for maybe DC. the question there though is if R-controlled states would listen to him anyways and subsequently order the count to stop, because they most likely will be legally able to do that.

Legally that's absolutely true.

But I don't see him issuing a black-and-white edict from the Oval Office to stop counting. Though he is fully capable and stupid enough to suggest this, I think what's much more likely is him declaring, as soon as practicable on the night of the 3rd/4th that states with mail-in voting are posting highly suspicious numbers of ballots/unbelievable rates of return, that his poll watchers have observed countless irregularities and dozens of buses full of Mexicans and Guatemalans being driven to the polls from God knows where, vague stories of Republicans who were forced to submit provisional ballots and other such stories. And take that and proclaim that everyone has to step back until we can "figure out what the hell is going on" and get "to the bottom of what's going on" and that will absolutely be enough for his insane supporters to start heading to state capitols with pitchforks.

The most potentially harmful demographics for Trump in this election, ranked:

1. White suburban moms
2. Disenfranchised southern blacks
3. The elderly

Maybe seniors up to number 2 as FL and PA have the two highest elderly populations in the country.

And i'll add two more

4. 18-30 year old vote if the numbers we are seeing hold
5. New voters and non voters from 2016 (not a demographic really, but one that seems to be a substantial group)

ngl, a small part of me would like to see him try this "i'm not leaving" gambit, because at 12:01pm on january 20th, president biden/pelosi will just order the secret service to remove the trespassers from the restricted area of the white house. how dope would it be to see them literally get thrown out of the white house at the end of all this.
A part of me as well, particularly as a NYC'r I'd SO love to see that!

For you Americans or anyone living in the US at the moment, what do you feel would happen if he took the view that this must go through the courts, Dem cheating is out of control, they won't count past midnight, etc. Is there a tipping point scenario? I would imagine there would be a different response if they were challenging the votes in one state as opposed to claiming widespread cheating in half a dozen states?
If real shit is pulled - there is serious talk beginning of a general strike by the unions.

from The Guardian

"Maloney, president of the Rochester-Genesee Valley Area Labor Federation, said his 100,000-member group adopted the resolution to get people discussing the idea – from local unions to the AFL-CIO, the nation’s main labor federation which represents more than 12.5 million people"
While they are focused on last minute GOTV, more of the unions across the country are now talking about a general strike as a "break glass in emergency" situation.

Last edited:
[TWEET]1322214250413215744[/TWEET]

The tipping point may be behind us already.

ngl, a small part of me would like to see him try this "i'm not leaving" gambit, because at 12:01pm on january 20th, president biden/pelosi will just order the secret service to remove the trespassers from the restricted area of the white house. how dope would it be to see them literally get thrown out of the white house at the end of all this.

I have been longing for a scenario like that for some time now. It'd be great if his time in office ended in the most humiliating way imaginable, the kind that gets played on a constant loop on TV and becomes a lasting image of the embarrassment that was his presidency.

Wow, I feel such a loss of respect for a person I've always admired. His right of course, but I just don't get it.

Bobby Orr endorsed Donald Trump for president in a newspaper ad

October 30, 2020 | 12:57 PM

Bruins legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Bobby Orr says he’s supporting Donald Trump for president.

Orr, a Florida resident, made the endorsement in an ad in Friday’s edition of the New Hampshire Union Leader, the state’s largest newspaper. A note at the bottom says “Paid for by Bobby Orr.”

“When I look at America during these turbulent times, I keep trying to separate style from substance, fact from fiction,” Orr wrote. “This much I know. Our current President has had to operate under extremely difficult conditions over these past several years. In addition, no leader anywhere signed up with the idea that dealing with a worldwide pandemic would be a part of their mandate. The attacks on our president have been unrelenting since the day he took office. Despite that, President Trump has delivered for all American people, regardless of race, gender, or station in life.

I'm not familiar with this guy, but, okay, first off, regarding his last sentence, the hell kind of crack is he on?

Second, uh, yeah, dude, I'm sure there's lots of things presidents in general don't sign up for when taking this job. Like terrorist attacks. Or world wars. Or extreme natural disasters that affect a great deal of the country. Or things of that sort. I imagine most, if not all, of them hope their time in office is relatively calm and uneventful. It's how they deal with those extraordinary moments when they happen that matters.

And I'd remind him that Trump was given a heads up about a potential pandemic, and even had an entire staff and playbook in place that the previous administration had prepared in order to help him manage it better should it happen. And yet he fucked that up on a grand scale.

Also, he can spare me the crap about Trump being "attacked" since the day he took office. 1) Every president has gone through that-hell, some of them have been assassinated, or come close to being assassinated. Trump wanted to be president, his supporters wanted it, this is what comes with the job. Suck it up and deal.

And 2) Considering Trump himself spent virtually all of Obama's presidency fanning the flames of racist birther crap against him, and considering how much shit Obama and his family got from people who couldn't deal with the fact we had a black guy in office, Orr can frankly sit down and be quiet.

Even Walmart is taking guns and ammo out of their stores in some states.

I never thought I'd live to see such times, honestly wish I hadn't.

And the big reason people are worried about violence is because the guy in charge couldn't just shut his fucking mouth and let our elections run smoothly. In a year where we were already dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety, he decided, "Hey, let's just up the ante!"

Fucking asshole. He can't leave soon enough.

That said, however, while all the concerns about Trump contesting the results are valid, if it does turn out to be a blowout, and if any attempts he makes to contest the results don't wind up going anywhere, who here wonders about the likelihood of Trump trying to flee the country? 'Cause he has also spent the last month on the campaign trail talking about how he may never return to certain states if he loses and whatnot. He knows his goose is cooked in terms of him facing a mountain of legal troubles once he leaves. I truly wouldn't put it past him to try and get out of here and go to a country where he can hide out, too.

let's just say we all had a stressful day and leave it at that

All I mainly remember of the 2016 election is sitting here that night and begging states to start turning blue, and becoming increasingly horrified as the night went on.

I try not to think about that night if I can help it.

There's also the fact that even if people survive this, it's still a problem. It's still a tough virus to deal with, and many survivors have reported lingering health effects afterwards, some of which may be permanent.

But psh, who cares about those pesky facts and logic, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom