US Politics XXVIII: But His Laptop From Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't PA holding off on counting the mail ballots for days? I'll need to find a link, but i recall reading that the PA GOP purposely had it this way so they can manipulate the narrative if it's close.

As part of whatever voting/election reform comes, there has to be assurance that there will be orderly counting of votes. "We can't finish" is a totally unreasonable explanation. Hire extra people. Procure additional ballot counting machines, etc. There is exactly zero rational explanation for why counting should take days or weeks (the only exception being mailed ballots received within typically 48-72 hrs of election day so long as postmarked by election day). CERTIFICATION of votes is another matter, and that can be done later as in many cases it's essentially an audit. But to not be able to get through the ballots received as of election day that night is unacceptable.

What’s an ominous sign is that we mostly all agree that Trump will win one of Florida or Ohio... and yet those states haven’t been wrong about the winner in god knows how long.

GA, AZ, NC, IA aren't typically this wide open for Democrats, so that offsets OH in the forecasts.

It's a very purple map.

Also I genuinely don’t understand why everyone thinks Iowa is a surprise. That’s a historically purple-blue state and the fact that it went so Trump was probably a testament to Clinton’s lack of appeal.

Federal Judge tells Texas GOP to go fuck themselves

This was really the most outrageous and brazen attempt at disenfranchising voters. They waited until over 125,000 had voted and THEN tried to throw out the votes. Not once did they challenge the concept of drive through voting in the courts before early voting began.

The judiciary has generally avoided meddling in election litigation as a matter of course. Yes we have this demented current SCOTUS but it really would be going far beyond what judges themselves believe is an appropriate role for the courts to play.

It's clear to me that Trump and his goon squad have been working on this strategy for months, to cheat their way to a win by any means possible. Too bad even half that effort didn't go into, I don't know...the pandemic?

It's classic Trump projection-to lie cheat and steal while he's accusing others of the same thing.

Set a precedent now before things get heated tomorrow. Keep the feds out of it, let the states decide. So far, so good.

Florida is Florida, but this surprised me:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1323368423578095616

[TWEET]1323368423578095616[/TWEET]

Also I genuinely don’t understand why everyone thinks Iowa is a surprise. That’s a historically purple-blue state and the fact that it went so Trump was probably a testament to Clinton’s lack of appeal.

Maybe it's a temporary thing, but I think at this point it is no longer useful to compare those really rural and white Midwestern states to pre-2016. Trump's rhetoric (much like European far right nationalists in some places before) has shifted the white working class vote to an extent that I think of OH and IA as light red states.

Maybe it's a temporary thing, but I think at this point it is no longer useful to compare those really rural and white Midwestern states to pre-2016. Trump's rhetoric has shifted the white working class vote to an extent that I think of OH and IA as light red states.

With Ohio I think it’s the same thing as Florida... greed is was reddening those states and the imports of people seeking tax relief are the dominant reason for the red shift. Not nationalism. These people just don’t care if it’s nationalism or not. Ends justify the means. They’re patriotic and cool with the nationalism and the YMCA singing and whatever because they’re like yeah that’s our guy, lower taxes! Woohoo! Give me the juice, I’ll drink it for lower taxes woohoo! Whatever means you aren’t taking MY money that *I* earned. This is absolutely 100% the mentality in Florida and I can only guess the same is true in Ohio since it’s a similar group of imports.

I’m really not sure the same is true for rural PA and IA and whatever. There, yes, nationalism etc. carried a big change in tune. But I think it’s nonsense to believe that he’s actually that popular there. Less people voted for Trump than Obama. What we witnessed was Clinton’s severe lack of popularity. Turnout was just down. Off margins from 2016, republicans gained 70,000 votes in Iowa from 2012. In exchange, Democrats lost 180,000 votes. This wasn’t a tale of Trump’s raging popularity. It was Clinton’s lack of popularity.

With Ohio I think it’s the same thing as Florida... greed is was reddening those states and the imports of people seeking tax relief are the dominant reason for the red shift. Not nationalism. These people just don’t care if it’s nationalism or not. Ends justify the means. They’re patriotic and cool with the nationalism and the YMCA singing and whatever because they’re like yeah that’s our guy, lower taxes! Woohoo! Give me the juice, I’ll drink it for lower taxes woohoo! Whatever means you aren’t taking MY money that *I* earned. This is absolutely 100% the mentality in Florida and I can only guess the same is true in Ohio since it’s a similar group of imports.

I’m really not sure the same is true for rural PA and IA and whatever. There, yes, nationalism etc. carried a big change in tune. But I think it’s nonsense to believe that he’s actually that popular there. Less people voted for Trump than Obama. What we witnessed was Clinton’s severe lack of popularity. Turnout was just down. Off margins from 2016, republicans gained 70,000 votes in Iowa from 2012. In exchange, Democrats lost 180,000 votes. This wasn’t a tale of Trump’s raging popularity. It was Clinton’s lack of popularity.

These days, i think it’s less about greed and more about being white.

Your earlier assessment about the absolute worst people from the north moving there is exactly right.

Which is interesting, since I remember Bill Clinton being pretty popular here in Iowa back in the day. But of course, he and Hillary had/have very different types of appeal, obviously. I do think your analysis of why Trump did well here is fairly spot on. Since then I have seen/read about so many people here railing against Trump. He's got a lot of support in western/northwestern Iowa, in the more conservative areas that supported people like Steve King, but it seems to me like most of the state is fed up with him and the GOP in general at this point.

So while I do get why people still think this state might go red, since they did go for Trump in 2016 and we have a Republican-controlled state government, I'd like to continue hoping that there's enough people here who are fed up this time around to change that. I know Democratic turnout has been very high here, and we've been having a great turnout in terms of early voters in general, so I'm really hoping that's a sign.

Opa-Locka, Florida(CNN)President Donald Trump suggested to a Florida crowd he may fire Dr. Anthony Fauci after the election, escalating his feud with the nation's leading expert on infectious diseases and providing a window into a potential post-November 3 administration purge.

Speaking after midnight following a full day of campaigning, the President was complaining about news media coverage of Covid-19 when the crowd broke out into a "Fire Fauci" chant.

"Don't tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election," Trump said to cheers. "I appreciate the advice."

Oh, fuck off, Trump.

If he does that, I hope Fauci just keeps showing up on every media outlet possible, both to continue to provide the necessary advice and facts and also just to bug Trump.

finally, scientific proof that Trump supporters are a bunch of Dicks

El0hNUBXUAcPJGj

Ha, my mom's name is Nancy, and she is very much NOT a Trump supporter.

And my dad's name was David, and he wouldn't have liked him, either.

I'm just blown away that we're going to hit 100m votes going into election day. I thought we would land somewhere around the 50-60% mark of 2016's total, but we're going to be at 72% or thereabouts. That's 39% of the voting age population before election day; we hit 55.5% in 2016.

Last edited:
Wow, just saw early vote is 53 Female, 44 Male. That is very good news for Biden if that gap continues. I guess the men are too busy running buses off the highway in their tiny penis trucks.

The things that frighten me the most about tomorrow

1. They're going to cheat
2. I expect wide scale voter intimidation in swing states, and possibly violence
3. They're going to cheat
4. This is really an unprecedented situation we're in. There is zero way to tell if the early voting is a signal of a huge increase in turnout or merely the result of holding an election in a pandemic.
5. They're going to cheat.

I am definitely fearful of 1, 3, and 5 on your list. Man, if somehow he could just pull out either FL, PA, or NC early. It's all about changing the narrative.

But....ultimately, if Trump is not successful in blocking votes from being counted, then Biden is going to win, imo.

The things that frighten me the most about tomorrow

1. They're going to cheat
2. I expect wide scale voter intimidation in swing states, and possibly violence
3. They're going to cheat
4. This is really an unprecedented situation we're in. There is zero way to tell if the early voting is a signal of a huge increase in turnout or merely the result of holding an election in a pandemic.
5. They're going to cheat.

I feel like I’ve seen several iterations of this list from you. Get a grip!

We are moving in 3 weeks and I cleared my schedule tomorrow except a couple of conference calls in the morning so that I could schedule all of our utilities, cable, etc relocations. I imagine that will be a frustrating experience that will take me most of the day, but least I won't be refreshing Twitter like a lunatic (until like 7 pm).

I have an appointment with my shrink tomorrow at 5, right in the thick of things. This was not an accident.

I have my kids tomorrow night which will help me keep my mind off of it until they go to bed. I’ll probably start checking my phone around 7CST to see what the buzz is and then after my son goes to bed, I’ll hopefully get to watch a good story (Biden winning) with my 11 year old daughter. She’s very interested in this election for the first time in her life and hopefully she’s not a witness to the end of our democracy.

I have an appointment with my shrink tomorrow at 5, right in the thick of things. This was not an accident.

Wednesday morning for me, though it’s my usual schedule, but perfect timing.

I have to say, being a non-citizen and thus not allowed to vote makes it even more stressful as I can’t channel my energy to the most productive thing one can do at this time.

Will be interesting if this map happens, and Biden is ahead in PA. Trump will be begging to count every last vote in PA for as long as it took.

E0Bpe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom