US Politics XXVIII: But His Laptop From Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mighty Ducks reference ?? Coach Bombay was ahead of the times

Mighty Ducks reference ?? Coach Bombay was ahead of the times

I was going to tie it to that but no I was making the point that they are posing as subservient to her. She is their leader.

You see this with business portait photography or with bands or with tv show cast portraits, with the leader and their supporting cast in such a formation.

I assume those clowns blocking traffic call themselves pro life. How is an ambulance supposed to get through that?

They were stopping their cars and getting out-there is nothing law enforcement can do about that?

I was going to tie it to that but no I was making the point that they are posing as subservient to her. She is their leader.

You see this with business portait photography or with bands or with tv show cast portraits, with the leader and their supporting cast in such a formation.

the people standing to her left are definitely in a straight line, and i think the people to her right look more like they're behind her than they really are because the 3rd guy in line is standing diagonally.

in any case it's very common in military photos when a VIP visits the unit to put the guest(s) of honor in the middle and then stand in a line on either side or a V if it's required to get everyone into the photo. based on my stepmom's RCMP photos i doubt it's much different in law enforcement in general. i really wouldn't read anything much deeper into it than that. these cops aren't subtly pledging their allegiance to ivanka, she's just their guest.

for what it's worth, there's a photo of me out there somewhere with part of my unit standing in a V formation beside and behind the Aga Khan.

Last edited:
the people standing to her left are definitely in a straight line, and i think the people to her right look more like they're behind her than they really are because the 3rd guy in line is standing diagonally.

in any case it's very common in military photos when a VIP visits the unit to put the guest(s) of honor in the middle and then stand in a line on either side or a V if it's required to get everyone into the photo. based on my stepmom's RCMP photos i doubt it's much different in law enforcement in general. i really wouldn't read anything much deeper into it than that. these cops aren't subtly pledging their allegiance to ivanka, she's just their guest.

for what it's worth, there's a photo of me out there somewhere with part of my unit standing in a V formation beside and behind the Aga Khan.

Yes I thought the same of the officers to her left.

You’re saying she’s just their guest but there’s subconscious body language that you’re missing.

Imagine a scenario where a police officer takes a photograph with a citizen. The police officer would in fact stand as your equal, almost as though a celebrity.

Now imagine this scenario where the person taking a picture is in fact a celebrity. The officers would still stand as their equal, almost as though they are still the celebrity.

This absolutely has a stench of deference that officers rarely exhibit. Were this Donald Trump himself, ie the president, I could understand it because of the awkward relationship between police and the military and the sense of “commander.”

I’m not suggesting this is staged in some way. I’m suggesting there’s implicit subservience presented in body language. It’s a photograph though, would have to be there to really know.

hey, i'm not saying that cops don't love bootlicking whether they're giving or receiving. you could very well be right that they see her as an authority (her father does have the power to do a lot of shit to their careers after all, at least for now), but i don't think the way they're standing in the picture has anything to do with it.

either way this is purely subjective and it doesn't matter and i love you. go birds.

the second map is one of the most baffling things i've ever seen. it's literally unreadable in this context.

Why is it unreadable? Percent difference from 2016 in voter turnout. To nobody’s surprise, urban areas are more likely to avoid going to the polls on Election Day. Gee, wonder why... oh, right, global pandemic.

I don’t agree with trying to tie this to 2016 though. Also think people in those counties that haven’t showed up yet are precisely the ones that will show up on Election Day.

Correction: my images were out of order, I see what you’re saying now.

Last edited:
so those deep red counties had over 20% more people voting for clinton in 2016 than voted for beto in 2018?

even if that's the case there's no indication whether that's just total votes (texas has grown a lot in four years) or there's some math involved.

it's a bad map.

edit: we agree :hi5:

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone will know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

We all know that some states can start counting before election day while others have to wait until election day, but I was looking at lists of which states are which, and it appears that the states that have to wait until election day are split up into two further categories - those that have to wait until the polls close, and those that do not. The list of states that have to wait until the polls close does not contain any swing states or states where the outcome is in question.

The list of states that do NOT have to wait for the polls to close includes Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Georgia.

Does this mean those states could theoretically start counting the mail-in votes at 12AM on election day to get a head start and cut down on the waiting?

Ohio and Georgia are run by Republicans so I wouldn't count on them doing that, but is it possible the blue wall states(who all have Democratic governors) could do that? Could it make a difference?

I don't think all your info is correct. It is really hard to find solid consistent info on this subject. But from the best of my knowledge,

PA can not start counting until polls close. Also, PA has said they won't count any mail ins until Wednesday.
GA from what I've heard is counting mail ins now.
WI, MI can NOT start counting until 7am on Nov. 3rd
OH can start counting early, but there seems to be no set time frame.

It would be great if the Gov's of these states had any say, but they don't. It's up to the state legislatures, and I believe all of these are Repub controlled.

From what I have seen though, OH has been surprising in how by the book they are playing things, and MI Gov and Sec of State are top notch and have been laser focused on the balloting.

Good news is that we do have a handful of swing states that will tell us a lot.

If OH goes Biden, it's all over. If he is loses, but only by a point or two, it should point to a strong night for Biden.

If NC goes Biden, it's all over. If Biden loses NC, we may be in for a long and painful process

Unless GA goes Blue, but if not, same long and painful process

Unless TX goes Blue, then the heavens open the light of glory showers upon us.

Same with FL

If AZ goes blue later in the evening, it's pretty much locked up, but if Biden has a terrible night everywhere else, and only pulls a 270 win, then you can bet we will be headed for weeks of battles in several states.

so those deep red counties had over 20% more people voting for clinton in 2016 than voted for beto in 2018?

even if that's the case there's no indication whether that's just total votes (texas has grown a lot in four years) or there's some math involved.

it's a bad map.

edit: we agree :hi5:

Wow, you guys are right. Sorry I posted this. I didn't see the Clinton/O'Rourke bit at the bottom, I thought it was just showing the heaviest turnout counties were heavily Democratic.

Sorry!!

I don't think all your info is correct. It is really hard to find solid consistent info on this subject. But from the best of my knowledge,

PA can not start counting until polls close. Also, PA has said they won't count any mail ins until Wednesday.
GA from what I've heard is counting mail ins now.
WI, MI can NOT start counting until 7am on Nov. 3rd
OH can start counting early, but there seems to be no set time frame.

It would be great if the Gov's of these states had any say, but they don't. It's up to the state legislatures, and I believe all of these are Repub controlled.

From what I have seen though, OH has been surprising in how by the book they are playing things, and MI Gov and Sec of State are top notch and have been laser focused on the balloting.

Good news is that we do have a handful of swing states that will tell us a lot.

If OH goes Biden, it's all over. If he is loses, but only by a point or two, it should point to a strong night for Biden.

If NC goes Biden, it's all over. If Biden loses NC, we may be in for a long and painful process

Unless GA goes Blue, but if not, same long and painful process

Unless TX goes Blue, then the heavens open the light of glory showers upon us.

Same with FL

If AZ goes blue later in the evening, it's pretty much locked up, but if Biden has a terrible night everywhere else, and only pulls a 270 win, then you can bet we will be headed for weeks of battles in several states.

I got my info from Ballotpedia: https://ballotpedia.org/When_states...ng_absentee/mail-in_ballots,_2020#cite_note-3

It says PA, along with MI and WI, can start counting before the polls close. Either way, if PA is choosing to not even start counting the mail-ins until Wednesday, that is annoying to me. Doesn't that play right into Trump's hands? If PA is only counting day-of votes on Tuesday, then it might look like he's ahead there at the end of the night.

That’s a great guide. Means that the majority of polls will close at lunchtime Wednesday here in Aus, not expecting to get any work done that afternoon.

Flashbacks of standing in the office break room watching CNN and confidently stating that Trump will never win just before close of polls. Then came the slow, sick realisation that he was ahead in MI, WI and PA and Clinton wasn’t going to close the gap.

By the time I got home at dinner and the race was called it was like being in a bad dream. Can’t imagine how you all must have psychically felt.

My “head” would make a map that would look pretty close to this, maybe without OH and TX. Everything on paper tells us it should not be close when it’s all over.

But, man. My gut would not. That 2016 trauma. Still processing.

I’ve been doomscrolling for a week now. It isn’t healthy for politics to be so high stakes like this.

I think the difference is that I never thought Romeny or McCain or even W would actively come after us like Trump will do. He will seek to punish those who did not vote for him, and his voters will love it.

I do not think this is going to be a blowout but I do think Biden can win because like 2016, the map is pretty hard for a guy like Trump to win.

Trump campaign is like an ongoing real life VEEP episode. One more rally with thousands of people stranded in the cold.
And not to be outdone by their already baffling choice of music at their events (Macho Man, YMCA, You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Fortunate Son, etc) Tonight at a Georgia rally, you could hear REM’s Everybody Hurts, blaring over the speakers. :|

Biden should be the winner.

But it will have to be by a blowout so large that the cheating will not matter. Because they're going to cheat and cheat hard. If it's remotely close, Trump will win because they'll steal it away and there's nobody left in the federal government to do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom