US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This debate on Thursday is going to be like debate #1 but on steroids (literally).

Lol. His closing message is to go to war with Fauci, who is probably twice as popular as he is.

And that's what pisses him off, because he's a narcissistic man-child. I haven't seen the interview, but apparently Dr. Fauci let it rip (in his usual careful way) about Trump on 60 Minutes.

We have a President who literally went doctor shopping for a guy who would support his false narrative about covid. A guy who is not even an epidemiologist. I just read that Dr. Birx tried to get Atlas off the task force.

Biggest lead from any poll this cycle. Biden hanging at +10.7 average.
I think YouGov just posted their highest Biden poll as well - +11. Up one from last week and up two from a week and a half ago.

One wonders what the swing state poll averages might look like if Trafalgar didn't release a poll of them every few days...

Just saw someone say something interesting yesterday. It's now more likely, if there is a 5 point polling error, for Biden to be at +15 than at +5. :shifty:

Last edited:
Bold to claim that Trump won that debate when it inarguably tanked his poll numbers.

Oh, right, those are fake. I forgot.

A man who’s been a public servant for more than half of his life, dedicated to the well being of others and has been nothing but pure class...

Is wanted dead by almost half the country.

That’s America now

Why is Trump pushing so hard to confirm a replacement for RBG before the election?

The Supreme Court Monday night allowed Pennsylvania election officials to count mail-in ballots received up to three days after Election Day, refusing a Republican request to stop a pandemic-related procedure approved by the state’s supreme court.

The court was tied, but that means a request to put the state’s court ruling on hold failed. The court’s four most conservative justices — Clarence Thomas, Samuel A. Alito Jr., Neil M. Gorsuch and Brett M. Kavanaugh — said they would have granted the stay.

But it takes five votes to issue a stay, and that means Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. sided with liberal Justices Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

Neither side explained the vote, which often is the case in emergency requests.

Ohh yeah, that's why.

I’m guessing we aren’t going to have to wait long to hear that Trump isn’t going to debate because the far left-wing Debate Commission mob (aka Antifa) has put this rule in place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1318341429781950464

Ps. The title is misleading, they will both have their mics muted during the 2. Minute speaking periods

Last edited:
Trump has no self awareness whatsoever, so he doesn't realize that being forced to shut the fuck up for 2 minutes is ultimately doing him a favor. The people he needs to convince have no interest in watching another shouting match with Biden.

Trump has no self awareness whatsoever, so he doesn't realize that being forced to shut the fuck up for 2 minutes is ultimately doing him a favor. The people he needs to convince have no interest in watching another shouting match with Biden.

I disagree. A debate where Donald Trump has to be level-headed and not doing improv is where he loses for sure.

His ability to talk over you is what neutralizes you. Biden did a fantastic job in the first debate of absolutely not letting Trump talk over him, which made the whole thing a giant mess. Clinton and the whole republican primary field let him bowl over them.

Trump is at a disadvantage if he can’t silence you with his but ugly gob.

Oh we're tired, alright.
*snort* heh

And that's what pisses him off, because he's a narcissistic man-child. I haven't seen the interview, but apparently Dr. Fauci let it rip (in his usual careful way) about Trump on 60 Minutes.
Yeah, he did. In his lower key manner.

Why is Trump pushing so hard to confirm a replacement for RBG before the election?

Ohh yeah, that's why.
You forgot the -

amiright :wink:
Chants of Lock Roberts Up incoming...

I disagree. A debate where Donald Trump has to be level-headed and not doing improv is where he loses for sure.

His ability to talk over you is what neutralizes you. Biden did a fantastic job in the first debate of absolutely not letting Trump talk over him, which made the whole thing a giant mess. Clinton and the whole republican primary field let him bowl over them.

Trump is at a disadvantage if he can’t silence you with his but ugly gob.
These debates aren't about winners and losers in a debate club sense anymore. We're way past that. "Undecided voters" are still holding out for the possibility that Trump will simply act like a human being for 90 minutes. A structured format is more likely to provide him that opportunity.

Trump's poll numbers fell off a cliff after the first debate not because intelligence and policy ruled the day, but because he made an ass of himself, and that isn't as accepted in 2020 as it was in 2016.

At least that's the way I see it. I would argue temperament is more important than policy in the wake of 2020's horrors.

Let’s be honest though. Trump will still do one thing that he did last time. The moderator will ask him a question, give him 2 minutes to answer and he will not answer but instead go into a raving red-faced rant, responding responding to something Biden said before, transitioning into a flurry of insane lies and accusations.
The problem with the mic mute, is that they didn’t give 90 second rebutted last time. So Trump can lie for a full 2 minutes over and over again, and Biden can’t rebuttt. That’s not a good thing.

These debates aren't about winners and losers in a debate club sense anymore. We're way past that. "Undecided voters" are still holding out for the possibility that Trump will simply act like a human being for 90 minutes. A structured format is more likely to provide him that opportunity.

Trump's poll numbers fell off a cliff after the first debate not because intelligence and policy ruled the day, but because he made an ass of himself, and that isn't as accepted in 2020 as it was in 2016.

At least that's the way I see it. I would argue temperament is more important than policy in the wake of 2020's horrors.

Hard to separate the debate from his illness when looking at the polls. Historically debates cause small shifts, and I would bet a big part of his decline was getting COVID after acting irresponsibly.

Also, it may have been more accepted in 2016 because of his opponent, not because of any inherent trait. Though he does seem a bit more unhinged than usual lately.

You’re right that it’s not about debate club victories. But I disagree that it’s about temperament. I believe it’s about appearing strong - or more importantly, projecting weakness. Clinton let Trump make her look small, weak, and defensive. So did Jeb!, Kasich, and Rubio. Biden didn’t let that happen, he made the debate about how absurd Trump was behaving and quite literally told him to shut up.

I reiterate that we can’t tell anything from early voting numbers yet, but one thing that is hopeful is that so far, black voting numbers are up. 1% in AZ, 3% in FL, while white voting is down 3-4% in each of those states.
Hispanic numbers are both the same as 2016.

NC, SC and GA are also seeing surges of black voters. But I have no specific numbers.

So as it stands, two things look good. Very high turnout and higher African American participation.

I reiterate that we can’t tell anything from early voting numbers yet, but one thing that is hopeful is that so far, black voting numbers are up. 1% in AZ, 3% in FL, while white voting is down 3-4% in each of those states.
Hispanic numbers are both the same as 2016.

NC, SC and GA are also seeing surges of black voters. But I have no specific numbers.

So as it stands, two things look good. Very high turnout and higher African American participation.

This is where the “Trump is getting 30%+ of the black vote” delusions come into play.

He's just having fun...

TheHill.com

Exxon Mobil on Monday sought to clarify a "hypothetical" conversation mentioned by President Trump at a campaign rally in which Trump said he could easily call on the company's executive to raise millions in campaign contributions.

"We are aware of the President's statement regarding a hypothetical call with our CEO...and just so we're all clear, it never happened," ExxonMobil tweeted just a few hours after the rally.

At the rally in Arizona on Monday afternoon, Trump had said he could easily out-fundraise Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden if he just reached out to oil and Wall Street executives.

"Don't forget, I'm not bad at that stuff anyway, and I'm president. So I call some guy, the head of Exxon. I call the head of Exxon. I don't know," Trump said before playing out a conversation.

"How are you doing? How's energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits?" he said. "When I call the head of Exxon I say, 'You know, I'd love [for you] to send me $25 million for the campaign.' 'Absolutely sir.' "

"I will hit a home run every single call. I would raise a billion dollars in one day if I wanted to. I don't want to do that," he said.

Trump had made the comment as a theoretical scenario as he discussed fundraising at the rally. Trump has trailed Biden in fundraising totals heading toward the final two weeks of the campaign.

Federal law prohibits soliciting campaign contributions in exchange for specific policy outcomes or other quid pro quos.

Trump's comments later trended on Twitter under the hashtag #QuidProQuo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom