US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that Biden and other Dems could do is to shift the focus off just the court and tell the American people just how unequal our representation is in respect to the majority of the country.

The majority of Americans have voted 4 out of the last 5 elections for Democrats. And even so have elected just 1 president (Obama twice) and now we are looking at a possible 6-3 conservative majority court, and we are at a place where 2/3rds of the American people are represented in the Senate by less than 40%. making the Senate far more conservative than the make up of the American people.

And they're asking Biden about adding two seats! Which would be able to be filled by any president of any party in the future? fuck off.

It’s fascinating watching Glenn Greenwald and Matt Tiabbi do everything they can to turn Hunter’s laptop into a story.

I mean, we all know why. But still fascinating to see it happen in real time.

Last edited:
Don Jr keeps bringing up Hunter because he wishes he had a dad like Joe

On this fairly non-existent polling day, Just thought I would point something out that is very troubling for Trump.

We talk about the vote share and Biden being over 50% is very important and a great sign.

But what normally happens in an election during the last month, is that the undecideds start to consolidate and you see both candidates gain more vote share, while their margins may stay even or not.

Well, if we take a look at what's happening from 30 days out, we see bad signs for Trump.

On October 3rd. Biden had 50.5% and Trump had 43.1% Biden just over 50 percent and Trump near his highest vote share since back in March when this all started.

Since then we look at today. Biden has gone up almost 2 points to 52.4% and Trump has not gone up along with him as people started consolidating. He has actually gone down, over a point to 41.8, near to his lowest point back in mid-July.

So i'm not sure what to think of this. I mean it's all happening as states were/are opening up for early in person voting. I saw Trumps schedule of the next couple days. WI, MI, PA, NV, California, and NC. And while the list makes some sense. It also kind of points out the states that he is probably just wasting time on. NC being the exception. Important note. EVERY path that the Trump campaign has plotted out as a potential way to win, includes them winning NC.
Dems have GOT to pull that one off, just to cut them off at the knees.

I really think that the GOP, almost to the last person, is completely missing the level of motivation on the left. They keep pointing out how there is more enthusiasm on an individual level for Trump than Biden but frankly many if not most on the left aren’t actually voting for Biden and would vote for a circus elephant if he was on the D ticket. People would walk and crawl through glass to get rid of Trump. And for a party who spent the last 4 years arguing that the left is deranged in their hatred of Trump, it’s absolutely mind boggling that they can’t translate that into what’s happening at the polls.

Some in their party leadership do get it but the MAGA crowd is 100% convinced Trump is cruising to re-election. These people will be crushed in 17 days and the reaction will be ugly.

Some in their party leadership do get it but the MAGA crowd is 100% convinced Trump is cruising to re-election. These people will be crushed in 17 days and the reaction will be ugly.

it's really baffling. i came across a tweet yesterday that predicted trump would win all 50 states, and it had thousands of replies agreeing with the tweet or arguing that maybe trump won't win NY and IL but yeah he has everything else in the bag and it's already a foregone conclusion. obviously a lot of those are bots and trolls but there also has to be a ton of real humans in there who completely and wholly believe this too.

it's really baffling. i came across a tweet yesterday that predicted trump would win all 50 states, and it had thousands of replies agreeing with the tweet or arguing that maybe trump won't win NY and IL but yeah he has everything else in the bag and it's already a foregone conclusion. obviously a lot of those are bots and trolls but there also has to be a ton of real humans in there who completely and wholly believe this too.

What you libs keep forgetting is that 1 boat = 25 votes.

It's not that baffling, really.

They've gone 4 years believing just absurd shit despite a ridiculous amount of evidence to the contrary. Why should the election be any different?

It's only baffling when you try and look at it logically, rather than through the lens of someone who thinks Trump and JFK Jr. are saving the world from Hunter Biden, Tom Hanks and a cabal of democratic pedophiles.

And yet I'm still nervous - because I have zero doubt that they're going to try and cheat their asses off (and afterwords, in the face of undeniable evidence, scream FAKE NEWS HOAX ACTUALLY HILLARY CHEATED FOR SLEEPY JOE)

Last edited:

There is a level of sophistication with bots on social media that is yet to be fully understood but I promise you a share of delusional comments you see are not real people and their synthetic behaviors are in fact designed for influencing readers into believing this alternative truth. I would argue more are bots than we think, but the readers are the ones who are still buying it.

Several Democratic Undergrounders who live in fairly to quite red areas of the country just reported less drumph signs /or more Biden signs.

I can't grab an url on my phone (as far as I know) vs when it shows up separately on my tablet)

If you haven't seen it yet google-
"did you vote for Trump Grandpa" Ad

Quietly devastating!
think it's only on social media so far.

Last edited:

Yeah this happened to me a few weeks ago. Trump visited California, and there was a tweet about Trump is going to win California this time. I looked at the replies and every one was saying, how he was going to win it, and it would be the biggest landslide ever, etc... and not many of these looked like bots. It's amazing to see the delusion in real time, but it also makes me feel good that they are so sure of Trump's victory and Dems are fretting over states that Biden is up 7 points in.

Their unifying theory is that Trump supporters are all terrified of going on record as voting for him given that the leftist media is in cahoots with Antifa and being honest with a pollster exposes them to violence. And it’s definitely not just bots - it’s all over right leaning blogs.

I really think that the GOP, almost to the last person, is completely missing the level of motivation on the left. They keep pointing out how there is more enthusiasm on an individual level for Trump than Biden but frankly many if not most on the left aren’t actually voting for Biden and would vote for a circus elephant if he was on the D ticket. People would walk and crawl through glass to get rid of Trump. And for a party who spent the last 4 years arguing that the left is deranged in their hatred of Trump, it’s absolutely mind boggling that they can’t translate that into what’s happening at the polls.

Replying to anitram's post here, because it's really good. And captures a lot of what I've been feeling as well.

Right now it's another dead polling day, and I'm guessing a slow week and then a complete tidal wave of polling post-debate/pre-election day.

So I'll muse on what we are seeing so far. We've been on edge for so long wondering when some surprise will come, that I don't think a lot of people realize exactly where we stand.

Media keeps saying, 100 days is a long time to go, 50 days is long time to go, 30 days is a lifetime in politics, 20 days, anything could happen. We are now on the cusp of being TWO WEEKS out from election day. Undecideds are polling around 3%, and no one really believes they are undecided. Most likely these are more "sporadic voters" that don't pay a lot of attention but are motivated to vote this time because of how big of an election this is.

So far this last month, we've seen where these undecideds are going. Biden gaining 2 points nationally and Trump losing almost 2 points. Which means even some of the ones that were "decided" have probably jumped ship.

And Vs. 2016, the October surprises that Trump/Guliani/Bannon are trying to pull, just aren't going to work this time. Guliani's already fell so flat, that it probably actually worked against Trump. Bannon is promising devastating information about Biden and China... Well. We are two weeks out and a quarter of people have already voted, so I would guess if he had anything - 1. He would have put it out already, and 2. It will be seen as Russian disinfo, which will do nothing to sway the regular voter, and will only make Trumps 36% cult yell and scream.

Ok. So voting so far. All of the polling aggregators are saying - Do NOT read anything into early voting numbers. You cannot make any inference from them. Big picture - true. We knew mail ins are heavily Dem, early in person, more Dem leaning, later/Election Day, heavily GOP.

But! I think there are things that we can learn from what we have so far.

1. Voting is historically record shattering. This means we can throw out the idea that this is going to be anything but a very high turnout election. Advantage Dems. You see how polls will do a high and low turnout model, and the high turnout can be anywhere from 2-5 points higher than the low one.

2. While mail in vote is heavily Dem, I do think Rep. early in person voting will be higher than many think. Do we really think the lines we saw those first days of early voting are 70% Dem?? You know that Trump's most fervent cult followers are going to be there as early as possible to vote for him. They line up a day before in scorching sun to go to a rally, but are going to sit back and wait til the last second to vote for him? I don't think so.
So again, that might mean that this huge number shift that we are expecting on election day, may not be as volatile as we have been led to believe.

3. Follow up to that, is that I don't think Election day votes may be as completely lopsided towards Reps as we think, and I also think ED voting will be a little light. There are a lot of traditional old school republicans that always vote on election day. It's a tradition, that's what they do, and will do. But I think that those Rep votes aren't going to be as reliably Trump this time around. I have two friends in FL that fit this description. They vote on election day, always. Lifelong Reps. They are voting for Biden. Obviously it means nothing scientifically, but it may be something that shows that old school reps on Election Day, are a bit more soft on Trump.

4. People are PISSED. And I don't think that it is just Dems. People don't stand in line for 10 hours because they think everything is going great. This is where anitram's post comes in. There is something in the air, people want this shit to end. They are voting so early because they can't wait for it to end. I think you will see those moderate republicans voting early cause they just don't want this guy as the symbol of their party any more. And of course Dems have wanted him out since day one.

I think that the bad thing is that no matter if Biden wins FL and/or NC, and we know that means he is the winner, we are still in for Trump demanding lawsuits and recounts in states like OH, IA, PA, etc... or any other state that Biden doesn't win by a decent margin, or has reported ballot issues.

Buckle up. On Tuesday we will be 2 weeks out. What a ride its been.

Last edited:
The sitting President incites violence on a regular basis, and gets away with it. That's how low we have sunk.

It needs to stop’: Whitmer condemns rhetoric at Trump rally, chants of ‘lock her up’

By Hannah Knowles, The Washington Post
October 18, 2020 | 8:11 AM

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, on Saturday slammed President Donald Trump’s attacks on her at his rally in her state where people chanted “lock her up,” denouncing the words as “exactly the rhetoric that has put me, my family and other government officials’ lives in danger while we try to save the lives of our fellow Americans.”

The chants – a familiar refrain deployed against political foes at Trump’s campaign events – came a little more than a week after authorities revealed a foiled plot to kidnap Whitmer, allegedly motivated in part by the belief that Michigan’s government was violating the Constitution with its coronavirus restrictions. Trump has repeatedly condemned Whitmer’s pandemic response as overly strict with calls to “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” and he reprised his criticisms at his Saturday campaign event in the swing state.

“You have got to get your governor to open up your state, OK?” he said to huge cheers at the rally in Muskegon, Mich. “And get your schools open.” The crowd began to chant for Whitmer’s imprisonment, and Trump did not move to tamp them down.

“Lock ’em all up,” he said.

Tori Saylor, deputy digital director for Whitmer, immediately criticized Trump’s behavior as dangerous.

“I see everything that is said about and to her online,” Saylor tweeted. “Every single time the President does this at a rally, the violent rhetoric towards her immediately escalates on social media. It has to stop. It just has to.”

Whitmer had the same message, tweeting Saturday evening: “It needs to stop.”

The alleged kidnapping plans detailed earlier this month fulfilled the worst fears of those who worried that the vitriol against Whitmer and her pandemic policies could escalate, while highlighting the threat of violence from extremist groups. According to the FBI, the plotters referred to Whitmer as a tyrant, experimented with explosives and discussed plans to storm the Michigan State Capitol.

After the plot went public, Trump doubled down on condemning the Democratic governor, saying she has done a “terrible job.” Whitmer has defended her policies, saying she made “tough choices to keep our state safe.”

Trump seemed to reference the recent threat against the governor at one point Saturday, as he addressed supporters in Muskegon.

“And then I guess they said she was threatened, right?” Trump said. “And she blamed me! . . . And our people were the ones that worked with her people, so let’s see what happens. Let’s see what happens.”

He went on to say the FBI “has to start looking at antifa.”

Members of an extremist group that trained for an anti-government uprising called the “boogaloo” are implicated in the plot against Whitmer, according to authorities. People connected to the right-wing “boogaloo bois” movement have been charged with killing a security guard and plotting to use explosives amid protests in the summer.

But the president has continued to focus on left-wing groups and movements such as antifa.

Whitmer was not the only political rival that drew Trump’s ire Saturday. At the rally, he also repeatedly criticized Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., appearing to mispronounce her name. The moment came a day after Republican Sen. David Perdue of Georgia was called out for mocking the first name of his Senate colleague and Democratic vice-presidential candidate Kamala Harris of Calif.

Trump on Saturday claimed that Omar “doesn’t love our country too much, I don’t think.” He accused unspecified people of craving power and then said, “God help us if they ever did get it . . . you just have to look all over the world in different places.”

Was not purposeful. Sure it wasn't, F you David whatever.

Sunday, Oct 18, 2020 at 7:00 AM
By Greg Bluestein - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Maya T. Prabhu - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Republican U.S. Sen. David Perdue inadvertently sparked a movement that benefited his rival’s campaign when he mocked the pronunciation of Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris' name.

Perdue delighted the crowd Friday at President Donald Trump’s rally in Macon when he butchered the California senator’s name multiple times, saying: “Kamala? Kamala? Kamala-mala-mala? I don’t know. Whatever.”

But the repeated mispronunciation, which his campaign claimed was not purposeful, competed for media attention with Trump’s remarks in Georgia and led to searing criticism on the airwaves and the campaign trail.

By Saturday evening, Democrat Jon Ossoff revealed he raised more than $1 million from at least 42,000 donors from Perdue’s viral moment. And the #MyNameIs hashtag trended on Saturday as social media users shared the meaning of their names -- along with criticism of Perdue.

Their unifying theory is that Trump supporters are all terrified of going on record as voting for him given that the leftist media is in cahoots with Antifa and being honest with a pollster exposes them to violence. And it’s definitely not just bots - it’s all over right leaning blogs.

Here is the Trump/polling delusion on full display. Ps. Must read the comments

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1317800612885524480

I'm very worried about the potential for violence over the next 90 days.

absolutely. The odds that Trump doesn't concede no matter what the numbers are on Nov. 3rd, and open up multiple lawsuits and request multiple recounts, is about 99%. Which means the militias that are "standing by" will be out in force in those states. MI being particularly concerning, in that they are allowing mail-ins to come in a week after Nov. 3rd. A stupid move to make in my opinion, since this just plays into Trump's strategy. Should have just said they all need to be in my Nov. 3rd and leave it at that. People have had plenty of time and warning to get their ballot in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom