US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one positive side effect of Trump is that the evangelicals have been thoroughly exposed for the hypocrites that they are.

While most of us knew this long before he showed up to run for President, there was still a general reluctance on the left or in the media to call them out - we had been conditioned for decades to allow them an undeserved deference and, at least in the public realm, operate on the assumption that agree with them or not, they are coming to the “right to life” and other questions in good faith.

Well that’s all gone out the window. These people deserve scorn and mockery instead of a seat at the table.

Yeah, I especially appreciated AOC making a point of talking about how communities of faith have been weaponized. Indeed, there are plenty of religious people of all stripes who actually do live up to their teachings, who do not support any of the horrors that this administration has committed, who are very inclusive and welcoming. And unfortunately, their voices get drowned out in the conversation, because the right likes to think that every religious person thinks the way they do. And they don't.

On a similar level, it's the same thing with people here in middle America. The right likes to think that everyone in this part of the country is like them. No. I think they'd be shocked at how many people here would align much closer with those "scary New York values" that they deride. Unfortunately, like with the above, those voices get drowned out, too.

Also, I wasn’t going to say anything at first, but really I do believe that it needs to be said.

Everyone rushing out to glorify what Pete Buttigieg said about women and the right to choose - THAT EXACT SAME THING has been said just as eloquently if not more by literally dozens of women legislators (and beyond) hundreds of times. But now a dude steps up and we’re suddenly all like Eureka! It’s really, really tiresome.

And I don’t mean to take anything away from his take - he’s 100% correct, he expressed it as well as it could be expressed and he’s a breath of fresh air in today’s discourse. He’s not the problem, it’s the reaction that’s a bit eyerolling.

Bravo AOC, you understand what being Christian is truly supposed to mean. I have no idea what her faith is, but I am 100% aligned with her in what she said. Fantastic video. My Catholic Mom would have agreed with her too.

She is mocked for having been a bartender, by people who profess to follow the teachings of a carpenter. And I did come up with that myself, must be the ice cream :wink:

It's like all of those GOP Senators today whining about alleged religious discrimination against Amy Coney Barrett. All the while they want to take health care away from Americans in the midst of a pandemic. And no matter what she claims, she does too.

Also, I wasn’t going to say anything at first, but really I do believe that it needs to be said.

Everyone rushing out to glorify what Pete Buttigieg said about women and the right to choose - THAT EXACT SAME THING has been said just as eloquently if not more by literally dozens of women legislators (and beyond) hundreds of times. But now a dude steps up and we’re suddenly all like Eureka! It’s really, really tiresome.

And I don’t mean to take anything away from his take - he’s 100% correct, he expressed it as well as it could be expressed and he’s a breath of fresh air in today’s discourse. He’s not the problem, it’s the reaction that’s a bit eyerolling.

I'm glad you said it. I agree

2020, and a dude still has to validate

As a person of faith, if not a strictly religious man, I felt that AOC clip.

If you claim to be an "evangelical," a representation of Christ in the world of politics, you are making a mockery of your religion by doggedly supporting Donald Trump, a man who represents the absolute worst aspects of humanity. Greed, narcissism, a total lack of empathy. There is nothing Christ-like about compromising your morality to forward the agenda of a man-made political party.

Dr. Fauci is not happy about his words being taken out of context in that Trump ad. He also said Trump should be wearing a mask at his rally in FL that's happening right now.

No distancing, not many masks that I can see. But it's outside, and Orange Super Spreader told them not to be afraid of the virus and let it dominate them. I would like to know the percentage of Trump supporters who would be willing to die for him. Probably frighteningly high.

No distancing, not many masks that I can see. But it's outside, and Orange Super Spreader told them not to be afraid of the virus and let it dominate them. I would like to know the percentage of Trump supporters who would be willing to die for him. Probably frighteningly high.

He said he wanted to kiss everyone, so there’s an image to make you regurgitate your dinner.

I’m so glad Joe Biden’s team understands the appropriate way to win votes in 2020. That kind of content is what Hillary was missing. It’s the kind of content that U2 is missing, too. That ad = cool.

I hear you, and since I posted the video, I'll say that I did so because I have generally disliked Buttigieg a great deal since the primaries, but over the last week he has come out with a bunch of statements that I was impressed with - this being one of them (the others were around the debate). But in no way do I think he is a particularly enlightened figure on that topic or that other people have not said that before.

It’s funny because they’ve just now realized their odds of dying are very low if they contract it, but that statement had always been true. But the odds of someone dying from them is extremely high. Since it’s inevitable that someone will die from the White House event, I hope it is one of them rather than an innocent second degree of separation.

It’s funny because they’ve just now realized their odds of dying are very low if they contract it, but that statement had always been true. But the odds of someone dying from them is extremely high. Since it’s inevitable that someone will die from the White House event, I hope it is one of them rather than an innocent second degree of separation.

And that's exactly it-they only care about themselves. And plenty of people in this country are exactly the same. It's either that or they STILL don't understand or believe the science of how this virus is transmitted.

DeSantis high fiving at that rally is the symbol of how he has put Trump over the people in his state. He is not a normal individual. I refuse to accept that people like him are the new normal, politician or not.

In my little SoCal world, most assume since they’re in shape or young enough that they’ll be asymptomatic. The idea of complications of a long haul isn’t a possibility “i run like 5 miles a day, my lungs are strong!!”

I wad asked multiple times over the last few days why I’m not teaching at some of the studios that have opened back up

Cause i don’t want to risk the health of myself and others. You’re in a small space and most owners aren’t following the capacity rules.

Maybe if teaching was my primary income the mindset would change, but for now I’m ok avoiding yoga studios, gyms, and indoor dining.

And there are also many cases being reported of serious cognitive issues being reported in people who didn't even have any other serious symptoms when they had covid. People say they feel like they have dementia, and they can't function well every day or keep a job. These are younger people too.

And there are also many cases being reported of serious cognitive issues being reported in people who didn't even have any other serious symptoms when they had covid. People say they feel like they have dementia, and they can't function well every day or keep a job. These are younger people too.

I was living in New York earlier this year and left — not due to the virus — in mid-March, and still don’t know how I never got it (had multiple tests as well as an antibody test). The last week I was there I went to the theater three times and also a big birthday party where a lot of people wound up getting sick — this was when we thought it was about hand washing and not about masks. I never wore a mask, but was obsessive about my hands. It would have been helpful to know that it was airborn back then. I wouldn’t have done any of those things.

At least 15-20 of my friends got it, two wound up in the hospital, and thankfully no one died. Some people had mild cases, others were sick for weeks. Several still say they aren’t right, that they are different after having had it. And these are all men in their 30s and 40s, generally in good healthy.

So polling has been a bit spotty lately. We still see a pretty large gap between national and swing state polling. While some states have crept up a bit, it would be nice to see some more substantial movement.

Right now the USC national tracking poll has hit it's highest point. +13/14. State polls out yesterday and today have been sorta meh for Biden, with a couple of bright spots from Morning Consult and NYT.
NYT had WI Biden +10, and PA Biden +8.
And Morning Consult had FL Biden +5, PA +8 and NC +4. Those are really good number for some of the most important and closest states.

Looking more big picture, you can see Biden is still in a strong position in state polling. Nate Silver listed out the swing states here. And as you can see Biden has a decent to overwhelming lead in 10 of the 14 states, and is virtually tied in the remaining 4. Also, having your average at +7.3 in your tipping point state is not a bad place to be in.

NH: Biden +10.9
MN: Biden +8.9
MI: Biden +8.0
WI: Biden +7.7
NE-2: Biden +7.5
PA: Biden +7.3 <-- TIPPING POINT
NV: Biden: +6.9
FL: Biden +4.6
AZ: Biden +3.8
NC: Biden +3.4
ME-2: Biden +1.3
IA: Biden +1.1
GA: Biden +0.6
OH: Biden +0.2
TX: Trump +1.5

And please, someone smarter than me - I can't seem to find a clear answer. Do early in person votes get treated like same day in person votes (meaning counted at the same time) or are they thrown in the same bucket as mail-in votes?

Common sense would seem to say that since you are voting on the same machines as the same day votes, that they would be counted with the same day votes. But it seems like they are often referenced as something different.

Anyone know a real answer?

I was living in New York earlier this year and left — not due to the virus — in mid-March, and still don’t know how I never got it (had multiple tests as well as an antibody test). The last week I was there I went to the theater three times and also a big birthday party where a lot of people wound up getting sick — this was when we thought it was about hand washing and not about masks. I never wore a mask, but was obsessive about my hands. It would have been helpful to know that it was airborn back then. I wouldn’t have done any of those things.

At least 15-20 of my friends got it, two wound up in the hospital, and thankfully no one died. Some people had mild cases, others were sick for weeks. Several still say they aren’t right, that they are different after having had it. And these are all men in their 30s and 40s, generally in good healthy.

Ultimately it’s up to nature. We can control certain aspects of our bodies and health. What we eat, how active, rest.

But have no control how the immune system will respond.

I’ve done all that i can to make sure i live a happy and healthy life. This virus may change that if / when i get it.

It’s been very disheartening to see friends or people i was close to just shrug it off cause they HAVE to get in a sculpt or spin class.

Back into politics tho

ACB seems to not have an opinion on anything

Can President cancel or move election? I dunno
Calling homosexuality a sexual preference aka a choice
Doesn’t think striking down ACA will affect pre existing conditions

Monmouth NC - Low Turnout - Biden +1, High Turnout - Biden +4

I think we can safely say that this will be a high turnout election.

And please, someone smarter than me - I can't seem to find a clear answer. Do early in person votes get treated like same day in person votes (meaning counted at the same time) or are they thrown in the same bucket as mail-in votes?

I can't remember where I read this but I believe they are counted together with the in person votes. It depends on the state itself as to whether they are pre-counted (before election day) or whether they are treated the same as election day votes in terms of counting starting on election day and even then some states allow for it as soon as polls open, while others don't allow for any counting until polls close.

Common sense would seem to say that since you are voting on the same machines as the same day votes, that they would be counted with the same day votes. But it seems like they are often referenced as something different.

Anyone know a real answer?

i believe it differs state by state

which is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom