US Politics XXVI: Sorry you're not Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1312442502968877057

AcclaimedTemptingInchworm-size_restricted.gif

never mind the tackiness of doing a $250,000 buffet. that's a separate issue (although not overly surprising considering the host).

a buffet. during a pandemic.

when the guest of honor and countless others surrounding him were well aware, at minimum, that they had been exposed to covid - and possibly aware that they HAD covid.

She has interesting insights regarding Trump's attitude towards covid

The Guardian

Mon 5 Oct 2020

Mary Trump, the niece of Donald Trump, has said the United States is “in the horrible place we’re in” because members of the family, including the president, see illness as “a display of unforgivable weakness” whether it is in themselves or others.

Speaking on NPR’s All Things Considered, Mary Trump, who recently published a tell-all book about her family, said: “That’s why we’re in the horrible place we’re in, because he cannot admit to the weakness of being ill or of other people being ill.”

She spoke as the US president was criticised by doctors for unnecessarily exposing his staff and his security detail to coronavirus by performing a drive-by to wave to supporters outside Walter Reed military medical center where he is being treated for the disease.

Mary Trump is suing the president and two of his siblings, alleging that they cheated her out of millions of dollars over several decades while squeezing her out of the family business.

On Sunday, Mary Trump said both the president and his father, Fred Trump, held the view that illness was “unacceptable”. “Which sounds incredibly cruel, but happens to be true,” she said.

She recounted the way this belief affected her grandmother, who had osteoporosis, saying that she would return from the hospital and need care and physical therapy, but that her grandfather, Fred Trump, “was unable to tolerate it. You know, he’d be in the room with her. And as soon as she started showing that she was in physical pain, he would say ‘everything’s great, right. Everything’s great.’ And he’d leave the room.”

Asked how the reaction to illness was expressed, Mary Trump said that the attitude was driven by the fact that her grandfather was “never sick. Ever.”

Donald Trump entered the 2020 pandemic already practising many of the measures that epidemiologists have been calling for – avoiding ill people, frequent handwashing and use of alcohol gels, and eschewing handshakes.

As far back at 1993, he told radio host Howard Stern that he suffered “germ phobia”, admitting it “could be a psychological problem”. A year ago, the president’s mindset was thrust into the open when he was filmed reacting strongly to coughing in the Oval Office. “I don’t like that. If you’re going to cough, please, leave the room,” Trump said, shaking his head.

According to Politico, during the 2016 election campaign it was his then-spokeswoman Hope Hicks – who possibly transmitted Covid-19 to Trump last week – who would be on standby to offer Trump squirts of hand sanitiser.

Fred Trump’s adherence to the philosophies of Norman Vincent Peale, an American minister and motivational speaker who was close to the Trump family and officiated at Trump’s first marriage, was taken to “such an extreme level that it was toxic because it left no room for expressions of what he considered negativity of any kind, you know, sadness, despair, being physically ill,” Mary Trump said.

Friedrich Trump, Mary Trump’s great grandfather and the president’s grandfather, was killed by Spanish influenza in the 1918 pandemic, something Mary Trump said her uncle “seems to have forgotten”.

I for one see no problem with Trump being discharged today - day 5 of a viral infection that usually has it's worst effects around day 8-10, of a 74 year old, obese man, with a history of mini-strokes, and has taken a cocktail of unproven medicines, one of which has a history of making the moderately ill patient worse. Usually around day 8-10 is when you may see infection travel to the lungs, and create hardening of heart tissue.

So yeah. Everything seems fine.

never mind the tackiness of doing a $250,000 buffet. that's a separate issue (although not overly surprising considering the host).

a buffet. during a pandemic.

when the guest of honor and countless others surrounding him were well aware, at minimum, that they had been exposed to covid - and possibly aware that they HAD covid.

This is making me furious and I'm not sick. I can't begin to imagine how incredibly pissed off the loved ones of those who've died from this virus, or those who are still dealing with nasty, potentially life-altering symptoms months after having it, must feel upon reading this kind of news.

Because it cannot be said nearly enough, fuck Trump.

my favorite trump era phenomenon is as follows...

person a: I AM GOING TO SUPPORT A CANDIDATE WHO MOCKS THE DISABLED, SPEAKS OPENLY OF RAPE, SAYS BOTH SIDES OF A CLASH BETWEEN NAZIS AND NON NAZI HAVE GOOD PEOPLE, AND HAS MORE DOG WHISTLES THAN PETCO.

person b: that guy's an asshole and if you support him you might be an asshole, too.

person a: DEMOCRATS HAVE NO DECENCY!

Honestly, at this rate, even if their party were to win in November, are there going to be enough Republicans healthy enough to still work past this election? At some point you gotta see the writing on the wall.

It's really kind of amazing...all the efforts they've put into trying to rig this election in their favor, and they may not be able to reap the benefits because they let themselves get sick and potentially put themselves out of work for a long time, either because they'll be laid up with the virus or because they got voted out (or both). It'd be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic. Again, I marvel at how these people can be both so corrupt and incompetent all at the same time.

Good lord. Just when you think they can't get any dumber.

ETA: I loved this reply to that video:

Other things Trump should now try to get first hand experiences at: 1. Paying taxes. 2. Paying all health-expenses out of pocket. 3. Living below minimum wage 4. Working 3 jobs to make ends meet.

I have never wanted to bitch slap so many people so hard before, I swear to god...

Last edited:
Sienna/NYT poll - Arizona Biden +8

NEW: BIDEN leading TRUMP 49-41 in Arizona, according to a new @nytimes-@SienaResearch poll. Little changed from our survey last month.

What's driving?

Over half of Ariz women "strongly disapprove" of Trump

KELLY up 50-39 over MCSALLY

Also per Nate Cohn:
Lots of new voters and they are overwhelmingly Biden.

Last edited:
I’m just waiting for them to make comments like “Trump has experience working with Bill Barr and Steve Mnuchin ans Mark Esper- Joe Biden won’t have those experiences if he’s elected.

Looks like the WH press corps has been summoned to Walter Reed.

Watch him be walk out of there "triumphantly", hopped up on steroids and God knows what else.

29 days.

Morning Consult national poll - Biden +9

PPP - North Carolina - Biden +4

RMG national - Biden +8 (not head to head) Up from Biden +6 a little over a week ago.

Were it not for 2016 and the PTSD that came to all of us since then and the hell that is 2020, I'm pretty sure looking at it rationally, one would conclude that this has all the makings of a blowout.

Were it not for 2016 and the PTSD that came to all of us since then and the hell that is 2020, I'm pretty sure looking at it rationally, one would conclude that this has all the makings of a blowout.

No point in talking about it. Just focus on winning. Imagine you’re playing Risk and you’ve cornered your final opponent into Australia and you have every other continent. Just wait a few turns and collect the bonuses before striking. Don’t mention that the game is over until it’s over.

The way they are refusing to answer when his last positive was makes me think that he willingly went to the debate after testing positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom