US Politics XXVI: Sorry you're not Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I guess the question here is not if Trump gets better. Looks like he will as he is stable and they are talking about discharging him (against protocol mind you)

But what happens then. I assume he as to stay isolated for 14 days since he tested positive, right?

And even then, this chart shows that he would still most likely have fatigue, labored breathing, for 4-6 weeks. and joint pain, chest pain and cough for 3-4 weeks. And we are 30 days out.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1312792030351953920

main-qimg-d36c345b99f842dc647c1e276bbfcda9

The GOP have every right to confirm a new justice right now. Elections have consequences. Had Mitch not fucked over Obama by blocking federal judges and the SC Garland nomination, probably wouldn’t be as big of an uproar (and the structure / balance of court would be different).

But the GOP need to accept their own medicine if Dems end up winning the senate and presidency and go on to expand and pack the court.

Elections have consequences
And when the GOP then inevitably gets control again? Are we to just have a pissing contest o we the Supreme Court every 4 to 8 years until there are 30 judges on the court?

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but if they do they're setting a dangerous precedent.

Yeah, adding justices is a bit risky. I think DC and possibly PR statehood is more important. GOP is way over represented in the Senate in respect to population, and these would help to make it more equal. It would also mean that future SCOTUS picks couldn’t be blocked when we have a Dem pres.

And bonus, all the other things that could go through the Senate that could actually benefit Americans

Interesting stuff. Mirrors a couple of the "talking to the voters" things I saw this weekend in OH and WI. several 2016 Trump voters were now voting Biden and this current Trump Covid confusion and misinformation seems to be top of mind.

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/1312803416935194624

We've done about 70 private polls this week and a very noticeable trend we're seeing especially the last few days is that where before Biden was maybe getting 6-8% of 2016 Trump voters, that's pretty consistently starting to be more like 10-12%

And when the GOP then inevitably gets control again? Are we to just have a pissing contest o we the Supreme Court every 4 to 8 years until there are 30 judges on the court?

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but if they do they're setting a dangerous precedent.

What other option do we have ? Suppose wait decades for justices to retire but do we have that long ?

The court is going to strike down everything Joe and a D congress pass.

Healthcare
Climate
Any regulation / tax

I don’t really know what options there are ? I’m still of the opinion that California becomes part of Canada and Mexico.

Yeah, adding justices is a bit risky. I think DC and possibly PR statehood is more important. GOP is way over represented in the Senate in respect to population, and these would help to make it more equal. It would also mean that future SCOTUS picks couldn’t be blocked when we have a Dem pres.

And bonus, all the other things that could go through the Senate that could actually benefit Americans

The courts are the only power the GOP has left. They will infect everyone in congress to get Amy thru.

So when they get destroyed on election night they still control the law

What other option do we have ? Suppose wait decades for justices to retire but do we have that long ?

The court is going to strike down everything Joe and a D congress pass.

Healthcare
Climate
Any regulation / tax

I don’t really know what options there are ? I’m still of the opinion that California becomes part of Canada and Mexico.
Probably should have thought about the ramifications of this when the Democrats just rolled over and accepted McConnell's will because they just assumed Clinton was going to win.

I get what's at stake. But what is the response when the republicans take things over in 2024 and just add two more? You can not stack the court without first solving that issue.

A 9-person SCOTUS makes zero sense given case load and population size.

Anyone who thinks that a 6-3 control of the court won’t fuck you for at least a generation is incredibly naive. Never mind that a number of the worst ones will be VERY young.

A 9-person SCOTUS makes zero sense given case load and population size.

Anyone who thinks that a 6-3 control of the court won’t fuck you for at least a generation is incredibly naive. Never mind that a number of the worst ones will be VERY young.

We should have a brilliant minimum age for the court and maximum age for the presidency equal to 65.

Some odds and ends

NBC/WSJ poll finds Biden up 27 (!) among SENIORS.

“The biggest declines for Trump in the poll come from seniors who are now backing Biden by a 62 percent-to-35 percent margin”

I guess the law and order thing didn’t work with suburban women. In this poll, the “housewives” back Biden 58% to 33%.

Wow. That's somethin'

Dr. Conley: "I didn't want to give any information that might steer the course of illness in another direction and in doing so it came off that we were trying to hide something, which wasn't necessarily true."
What the what?

Translation: I lied to you before. And I don't want you to ask me questions about things that I'm not sure how to lie about in the future...

Last edited:
Probably should have thought about the ramifications of this when the Democrats just rolled over and accepted McConnell's will because they just assumed Clinton was going to win.

I get what's at stake. But what is the response when the republicans take things over in 2024 and just add two more? You can not stack the court without first solving that issue.

If the GOP take over again, America the country (and the idea BONO!!!) are dead.

I don’t like the slippery slope were on and i think 9 justices probably is the right number but we’re talking about a clear threat to humanity if the GOP are allowed to be in power again.

And i agree, the Dems deserve a ton of blame for this situation too. It’s like we assumed electing a black man was enough.

If this happens, count on the GOP to find some very smart high school debaters.

Maximum age to be president doesn’t invalidate the minimum age to be president.

My comment was actually saying the Supreme Court must have a minimum age of 65 because it’s a lifetime appointment. ie let’s make “packing the court” less effective.

If the GOP take over again, America the country (and the idea BONO!!!) are dead.

I don’t like the slippery slope were on and i think 9 justices probably is the right number but we’re talking about a clear threat to humanity if the GOP are allowed to be in power again.

And i agree, the Dems deserve a ton of blame for this situation too. It’s like we assumed electing a black man was enough.
I think it's pretty naive to think that the opposition party won't rebound in some way if the Democrats sweep in November.

I know there's been so many books written about this administration already, but my god, we really haven't even begun to scratch the surface of insane stories surrounding this administration, have we? Just imagine what else we'll find out as time goes on once these people are finally out of here.

What’s really giving me confidence in polling numbers here is the repeated hits above or at 50 for Biden. The margin is less important because you can’t guarantee the “silent minority” doesn’t exist as many people aren’t willing to admit they’re voting for that orange goblin.

The more polls are hitting at or above 50, the less the likelihood of a loss profile with popular vote (Clinton, Gore). Though, state polls are more important.

What’s really giving me confidence in polling numbers here is the repeated hits above or at 50 for Biden. The margin is less important because you can’t guarantee the “silent minority” doesn’t exist as many people aren’t willing to admit they’re voting for that orange goblin.

The more polls are hitting at or above 50, the less the likelihood of a loss profile with popular vote (Clinton, Gore). Though, state polls are more important.

Absolutely. Right now Biden is at or over 50% in about 9 states. And around 48-49% in the other important ones. At this point Clinton topped out at 43%.

Undecideds are dwindling and in 2016 they went for mostly for Trump. This time they lean Biden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom