US Politics XXV: At Least We're Not Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1307378927573315586

Last night ActBlue shattered their hourly donation record twice. Two other Democratic downballot fundraisers also broke records last night.

Whatever happens. This is far more motivating to Dems than Reps and I don't really see how there's any debate here. 99% that they will place a nominee during the lame duck session. Doing it before the election would pretty much ensure the demise of the vulnerable Rep Senators. Right now, they can make the meaningless statement - "I believe we should not confirm a new judge before the election." Sounds good to those that don't pay attention. But again, meaningless.
For Dems, they now have a huge motivation to get to the polls. They know Trump will place someone, and with a 6-3 SCOTUS, you can be sure that the Senate is now top of mind, and importance. It may not bring voters out who weren't going to vote already. But I think it will bring out those that were not really motivated before, and will keep those that might have waited to vote til later, and then somehow end up not being able to, to vote early and be sure to be heard. Add to that a higher amount of donations and volunteers to make sure we have some counterbalance.

Shockingly, Susan Collins, actually made the meaningful statement, that the person that wins the election should pick the nominee.

Hell, honestly, if they do win and we get a Democratic majority in Congress as well, I say that once they're in office, they should just go right ahead and reverse/remove as many of Trump's judicial appointees as possible and start completely anew. Trump had no problem trying to dismantle every last thing Obama did, after all, so why shouldn't we play by those same rules?

What are the rules for reversing and removing as many judicial appointees as possible?

It’s time to break this shit up and figure out a new path forward.

There is no United Anything. There’s going to be a lot of pain, a lot of absolute shit but i don’t see how we reconcile anything.

Break the country up.

I’d argue the very dangerous precedent set forth is that rules don’t apply.

This. Trump and the GOP are getting to do whatever the hell they want, rules of law and norms be damned. So if the Democrats wanted to follow that same playbook if they take back power, and conservatives had a problem with it, well...:shrug:. I don't know what else to tell them.

Mind, I honestly doubt the Democrats would go that far, even if they had the opportunity and means to do so, because they're just not that kind of party. But considering how drastic the situation currently is, and how much effort it's going to take, if the Democrats win, to clean up all the mess Trump and his buddies left behind, it wouldn't surprise me if their efforts did require having to do a few things that aren't normally done, because they're doing so in response to a president who did things that presidents normally don't do.

And considering the fact that Trump is so compromised and was impeached in an election year over attempts to manipulate our elections, those would be rather special and serious circumstances that may require special and serious responses. If it were a Democratic president who'd been impeached for trying to manipulate elections in their favor, I guarantee the GOP would try and find a way to undo their policies or appointees or things of that sort.

Yet she'll vote for Trump's nominee with furrowed brow.

Of course she will. She's a zero integrity sell out, and Baker endorsed her last week.

I can't imagine a worse fate than selling your soul on a daily basis to Donald J Trump. And that includes his kids and the rest of his family.

Congrats on your judges. All it took was selling your souls to a philandering criminal who's been responsible for more abortions than your local Planned Parenthood.

Just like Jesus would have wanted, amirite??

Not to mention that before he declared himself to be a pro life Republican (save for forced hysterectomies and kids in cages and trying to dismantle the ACA including for people with pre existing conditions and covid deaths it is what it is), he was a pro choice Democrat who donated millions to pro choice Democratic politicians.

But DJT is nothing but an empty vessel means to an end. The emptiest most corrupt vessel imaginable. Ho ho ho that boat, gently down the stream.

Last edited:
So unless we all turn out to vote in person, Trump has basically made the mail in vote invalid.

He’s going to claim victory on election night, claiming the “live” vote is all that we can trust. Any ballots counted after 11/3 are bad. Will probably find a few rare cases of fraud by mail and then file lawsuit to settle it.

Two choices from there. It goes up to the SC and he gets the decision and win

No court decision but uses GOP states to block electors from casting and giving either person the 270 and it goes to the House.

The House gives the presidency to Trump

Exactly why 'we' need to pack the court, and make the District of Columbia a state :eyebrow:

You realize I have no representation in the Senate. And there are well over 700,000 of us. And until recently, the majority of them were Black.

But I suppose it’s not a rule that people deserve equal treatment under the law if they will vote for Democrats.

So unless we all turn out to vote in person, Trump has basically made the mail in vote invalid.

He’s going to claim victory on election night, claiming the “live” vote is all that we can trust. Any ballots counted after 11/3 are bad. Will probably find a few rare cases of fraud by mail and then file lawsuit to settle it.

Two choices from there. It goes up to the SC and he gets the decision and win

No court decision but uses GOP states to block electors from casting and giving either person the 270 and it goes to the House.

The House gives the presidency to Trump

Yeah, but have you heard about the people who want to make DC a state and add SCOTUS judges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom