US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh mah lord stop posturing yourself as though I’m claiming he’s not racist. He’s just not going out fucking saying “laziness is a trait in blacks”

Except the quote I used was attributed to him in a book written in 1991 by a former employee - a book to which Trump referred to in a 1993 Playboy interview thusly: “What [he] wrote about me is probably true.”

He’s not some unabashed outspoken racist who genuinely hates black people.

Is that the bar one has to meet to be labeled a racist? Even if you don’t hate them, believing your race to be superior to another race still makes you a racist.

I know you’re not relishing defending Trump, but you seem to be dismissing stuff as fake news with a little too much credit given to the man. It’s not like the man hasn’t had a storied career (well prior to his political fling) followed by accusations of racial prejudice (and federal cases to that effect: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html).

They should.
Dems are not above reproach on this.
Both parties are insisting on their pet project funds to be included instead of focusing strictly on getting the proper help to citizens in dire financial need.

Waaaaaaaaaiiit a minute. If by "pet projects" you mean funding state and local govt's to fund their teachers, fire, health facilities, schools, funding for the post office to actually function in this years election, to fund covid testing, to put funding into the actual election process for both mail and in person voting, then sure, both sides do it.

I mean, i'm sure there were some things in there at the beginning you put on a wish list expecting to get it negotiated out. But Reps pretty much started at No extended unemployment, no aid to states, no funding for USPS or voting, etc... Plus funding Trump's FBI building to protect his hotel in DC...

Both siding that is pretty ridiculous.

Except the quote I used was attributed to him in a book written in 1991 by a former employee - a book to which Trump referred to in a 1993 Playboy interview thusly: “What [he] wrote about me is probably true.”

Is that the bar one has to meet to be labeled a racist? Even if you don’t hate them, believing your race to be superior to another race still makes you a racist.

I know you’re not relishing defending Trump, but you seem to be dismissing stuff as fake news with a little too much credit given to the man. It’s not like the man hasn’t had a storied career (well prior to his political fling) followed by accusations of racial prejudice (and federal cases to that effect: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html).

My issue is that you’re citing an uncorroborated claim from an ex-employee with no recording and no firsthand evidence. We all know Trump is capable of saying disgusting things like that, and we have good reason to trust our instincts, but if you don’t honor a scientific and rigorous approach towards criticism, you’re part of the greater societal problem that we have. I made a claim in regards to Donald Trump being more selfish than he is racist because I genuinely believe that is true. I genuinely believe that his level of racism is not of the same caliber of his xenophobia or is hatred for poor people. That’s not dismissing that he has a racist issue and that he is racist, no more or less than my parents. He’s obscenely vulgar and even if he made such a comment, it would likely be out of sheer cocky vulgarity and hatred, on par with calling every last person here a homophobe for their repeated participations with words like “faggot” or “cocksucker” or need I go on over the last thirty years.

I don’t know why you quoted me and said whatever about some bar for being racist as though I suggested he’s not racist. I clearly just don’t think he thinks about race as much as you’re making it out to be. You can contest that with plenty of tools I’m sure, but attributing a quote to him like you did isn’t right we don’t know if he said that, and he doesn’t have a record on race language otherwise that is that direct or vile.

2 new national polls out this morning, one from the highest rated pollster on 538, one from an unrated pollster. Both conducted pre-Harris

Marist - Biden +11
Global Strategy Group - Biden +10

And more good news, Trump says that he is "putting NY in play" this year. He wants to be the first Rep since Reagan to win NY. I for one think he should start spending big there and give it all he's got. :lol: Biden is currently +25 in NY

So the Post Office is going to remove 671 high volume sorting machines. And communities are reporting that public mailboxes are actually being removed in their towns/cities.

It doesn't get more 5 alarm than this. Well, yet.

So the Post Office is going to remove 671 high volume sorting machines. And communities are reporting that public mailboxes are actually being removed in their towns/cities.

It doesn't get more 5 alarm than this. Well, yet.

Yes. This is a direct assault on the democratic process.

More Public mailbox removal

The Montana Letter Carriers Union just confirmed the removal of 13 in Missoula, 9 in Bozeman, and orders to remove 3 in Lewistown and 30 in Billings.

Thankfully, many Democratic senators, representatives, and governors have tweeted that someone should do something about the USPS, so we should be fine.

More Public mailbox removal

The Montana Letter Carriers Union just confirmed the removal of 13 in Missoula, 9 in Bozeman, and orders to remove 3 in Lewistown and 30 in Billings.

the more this stays alive as an issue and the more people talk about this and make it a central feature of the campaign, the more it will backfire as a suppressive tactic.

it will become a huge political liability for Trump. being shockingly open about his nakedly authoritarian cheating will blunt its effectiveness. Trump may be mean, but he's also completely fucking stupid.

I have decided that I will vote for Joe Biden, and I will vote in person since Pennsylvania has already announced that it cannot handle the mail-in ballots it anticipates it's going to have. I am furious with myself for doing so, but I do feel my hand is forced. We are so fucked in the '20s. There is zero incentive for the Democratic Party to listen to the people telling the truth from the left. But the last couple of months have convinced me that, despite not knowing who will be in charge (it will pretty obviously not be Joe Biden), I think someone may accidentally end up making some decision that will help get us through the pandemic. Unfortunately, then we're left with 2-3 more years of decisions from an administration that will very likely set up a Republican win in 2024. But we at least need to get there, I guess.

I'm really depressed. I have never been more despondent. I am strongly considering closing my retirement accounts and getting the money back, because I doubt we have a financial system or even a recognizable society in 30-40 years. This planet is going to be destroyed and eco-fascism will be the center in the United States by 2032. There really is no hope. I just see the most greedy, feckless people alive in the Democratic Party, and keep having to try to reconcile with the idea that this is the "resistance" in this country. How the fuck can we possibly survive? There really is no path.

I have decided that I will vote for Joe Biden, and I will vote in person since Pennsylvania has already announced that it cannot handle the mail-in ballots it anticipates it's going to have. I am furious with myself for doing so, but I do feel my hand is forced. We are so fucked in the '20s. There is zero incentive for the Democratic Party to listen to the people telling the truth from the left. But the last couple of months have convinced me that, despite not knowing who will be in charge (it will pretty obviously not be Joe Biden), I think someone may accidentally end up making some decision that will help get us through the pandemic. Unfortunately, then we're left with 2-3 more years of decisions from an administration that will very likely set up a Republican win in 2024. But we at least need to get there, I guess.

I'm really depressed. I have never been more despondent. I am strongly considering closing my retirement accounts and getting the money back, because I doubt we have a financial system or even a recognizable society in 30-40 years. This planet is going to be destroyed and eco-fascism will be the center in the United States by 2032. There really is no hope. I just see the most greedy, feckless people alive in the Democratic Party, and keep having to try to reconcile with the idea that this is the "resistance" in this country. How the fuck can we possibly survive? There really is no path.

If it means anything, I think while it’s fair to assume that history shows that what comes around stays around, just the same what you don’t know yet will take you by surprise.

Plenty of opportunity for something to shake the system that’s yet to be seen, and I think history time and time again proves that.

At this point absolutely nothing surprises me about Trump, he's capable of anything. But this post office thing is insane beyond words. And no one in the House or Senate can do anything about it? How did Trump get that postmaster in there unchallenged? Were there hearings, anything?

Just makes me furious. I feel like we are living under a dictatorship, anyone else feel that way? Screw every person who put this maniac in the WH.

So Kanye West registered as a Republican 4 days after he filed papers to run for president under another party. This possibly means he is invalidated across the board.

I hear you. I’m not as down on the Democrats as you are. Biden isn’t going to lead some revolution but if we can flip everything blue, it does give more younger, progressive folks time to get into the system. The country isn’t getting whiter, and it’s not getting more conservative.

We’ve seen tho how any progress can be stopped with a few bad elections and self gratitude over electing a black man and not paying attention to the local, state, and congress.

2020 can reverse that if it’s not stolen from us.

There are concerns no matter what.

We’ve done nothing about the climate and that’ll be another pandemic (not to mention who knows what bacteria or viruses will adapt or be released with it)
Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, and the biggest one, China, are all more dangerous than before. We are not safer as a global community compared to 2016

Wealth inequality will be the worst it’s ever been. Even the most progressive, perfect candidate is going to struggle to fix this. And if Trump is still in power.... i don’t even know what the bottom will be.

But there is hope. A pandemic gives us a chance to change everything. We won’t go back to the pre virus normal. We can use this horrible event to shape a better future.

Expectations tho. It will take time, and there’ll be a lot of pushback. We may go through a dark age (of a few years) to come into another enlightenment period.

That’s the hope i have

Wealth inequality will be the worst it’s ever been. Even the most progressive, perfect candidate is going to struggle to fix this. And if Trump is still in power.... i don’t even know what the bottom will be.

This is a huge problem, not just in the US but other western nations.

The wealthy and the professional class have not really felt the pain from COVID-19. And in many cases they've managed to save $ (for months going without nannies, housekeepers, dog walkers, cleaning services, home renos, kids' activities, expensive travel, expensive lifestyles which were curtailed and so on) and invest in a close-to-bottom market. The gap between them and everyone else has only widened.

Eric Holder
@EricHolder

Federal criminal law (18 USC 1701):

Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

images.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom