US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
given the looting last night along the Magnificent Mile, this seems like an excellent opportunity for Biden/VP to call out the looters and distinguish them from the protestors, and condemn the looting and emphasize their position that there are real, tangible reasons for the police are for and why we should not defund them.

call out the bad guys in order to highlight the good guys, while at the same time vowing to protect law and order to put the suburbs at ease ... which will also put the inner cities at ease, as most people don't like it when stores are smashed up, regardless of race or income level.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...jqywrjvu-story.html?__twitter_impression=true

neutralize this. something like this is all Trump has left to make his case for re-election.

Launching a position that smells of anything less than “I’m on your side” is not a good move. Joe Biden’s best most is to ignore looters entirely, because taking a tone against them is immediately perceived as the same position as Trump - giving looters the platform ignores the fact that, “some, I assume, are good people.”

Launching a position that smells of anything less than “I’m on your side” is not a good move. Joe Biden’s best most is to ignore looters entirely, because taking a tone against them is immediately perceived as the same position as Trump - giving looters the platform ignores the fact that, “some, I assume, are good people.”

Who’s side are we talking about?

Who’s side are we talking about?

Obviously Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter. I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Signaling some “responsible” response is as stupid as Hillary Clinton going out there and apologizing stating not all Trump supporters are deplorables. Yes they are, the games of politics have changed, and that moment was a quintessential example of why she lost.

If Joe Biden goes out there and sounds off “these looters though...” he will immediately be perceived as not being in full support of Black Lives Matter because his tone and his rhetoric is apologetic and not firm.

Obviously Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter. I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Signaling some “responsible” response is as stupid as Hillary Clinton going out there and apologizing stating not all Trump supporters are deplorables. Yes they are, the games of politics have changed, and that moment was a quintessential example of why she lost.

If Joe Biden goes out there and sounds off “these looters though...” he will immediately be perceived as not being in full support of Black Lives Matter because his tone and his rhetoric is apologetic and not firm.

You’re equating the looters with BLM? What happened in Chicago was unconnected to any sort of protest, at least that Im aware of.

I think the right move is to do not that.

You’re equating the looters with BLM? What happened in Chicago was unconnected to any sort of protest, at least that Im aware of.

I think the right move is to do not that.

You have an incredibly bad habit of twisting an argument to project some form of bad behavior on your target.

I’m not “equating” it to BLM. There is anti-police sentiment and a national debate over police reform, of which Donald Trump and Joe Biden are on two different sides. Or, should be. Do not bend my words. Do not simplify my words to be a convenient takedown for your argument.

Joe Biden has the responsibility of not sounding like he has a soft position on BLM. Donald Trump has a hard position on BLM, which equates ultimately to “Antifa are terrorists, all of these protesters are criminals and we should come down hard on them, and some, I assume, are good people. Real shame. We love our police!!!”

What’s going on in Chicago is not a national event. It’s a state event. The appropriate individuals at the city and state level have condemned all criminals. Joe Biden has no reason to project as “in support of law enforcement” right now. It’s foolish and it’s apologetic. He doesn’t need to make anything clear and does not need to make a play to the center to ensure anyone that he loves police. He needs to shut the fuck up and not say anything.

I used to also think that Biden should come out and make some bold statements about looting and how it should be stopped, and that it takes away from real protesters message, etc...

But I gotta side with Lucky on this one.
Maybe at the get go of the protests, but by now, people's views on this are locked in. And what we've found from polling is that a large majority of people support the protests, and people are hardly concerned at all about either looting or crime in general. It comes in about last among people's concerns right now. Also, Trump's manly LAW and ORDER, sending secret military police to Portland was viewed by over 2/3rds of people as making the problem worse, and the same number gave him a dissatisfied with his handling of the protests in general.

Biden piping in would just allow his words to be twisted around to make it sound like he is either anti-protester/BLM or anti-police. Neither of which is a win for him. Right now, Biden is viewed as being on the "right" side of all this, without saying a word.

He's gonna get these questions soon at the debate anyway. Hopefully it's well rehearsed.

Whoa,

I was gonna wait to post more poll info. But this is a doozy.

RMG Research has Biden +8 nationally. That's cool, falls in line with his average.

State poll of Maine

Biden +11 (no surprise)

But the Senate Race!!

RMG has Gideon at +7!!!

Her average lead over the last month is now 4.7

He's gonna get these questions soon at the debate anyway. Hopefully it's well rehearsed.

Thank you for disagreeing with me without taking it personally.

This is what I’m saying: I don’t think Biden needs to make a statement TODAY about what happened in Chicago, but he needs to be aware that this is exactly the sort of thing that must not be allowed to be conflated with the protests/BLM. He needs to stay ahead of this, so if/when this continues and if/when it nationalizes, he’s prepared to make clear distinctions and effectively criticize one thing and defend the other.

There may well have to be a Sister Souljah moment when it comes to what are clearly rising crime rates in *some* cities (overall crime in the US is still much, much lower than it was in the 80s and 90s). The middle is what counts here. Suburban women. The gender gap is enormous and in Biden’s favor. He needs to keep it there.

Last edited:
State poll of Maine

Biden +11 (no surprise)

But the Senate Race!!

RMG has Gideon at +7!!!

Her average lead over the last month is now 4.7

the Dems will pick up AZ, NC, CO. They will lose AL.

control of the Senate may very well come down to Maine. anything beyond Maine is bonus.

Thank you for disagreeing with me without taking it personally.

This is what I’m saying: I don’t think Biden needs to make a statement TODAY about what happened in Chicago, but he needs to be aware that this is exactly the sort of thing that must not be allowed to be conflated with the protests/BLM. He needs to stay ahead of this, so if/when this continues and if/when it nationalizes, he’s prepared to make clear distinctions and effectively criticize one thing and defend the other.

There may well have to be a Sister Souljah moment when it comes to what are clearly rising crime rates in *some* cities (overall crime in the US is still much, much lower than it was in the 80s and 90s). The middle is what counts here. Suburban women. The gender gap is enormous and in Biden’s favor. He needs to keep it there.

I didn’t take it personally. I’m giving you shit for suggesting that there’s somehow a racist undertone in my post, where ironically my position is clearly that Joe Biden should be focused primarily on how pro-minority audiences might perceive him.

Just to show how completely corrupt this president is, when I saw the news that he abruptly ended his lie dispens... sorry, corona briefing, because the secret service shot someone outside the White House, my very first thought was - who did Trump pay to create some false threat and claim to be Antifa or some shit.
God that’s sad.

I didn’t take it personally. I’m giving you shit for suggesting that there’s somehow a racist undertone in my post, where ironically my position is clearly that Joe Biden should be focused primarily on how pro-minority audiences might perceive him.

It read to me that you were presenting the riots as a part of, or inevitable effect of, BLM, and I think it’s critically important to make these distinctions to a wider audience who agree with the phrase “Black Lives Matter” but aren’t familiar with the specifics of their highly specific platform — the suburban moms.

You’ve clarified, but that’s what I was seeking. The force with which you came at me suggested it had been taken in a far more personal manner than I had intended.

Tone is always an issue on line. I’m sorry if mine came off badly.

Last edited:
Interesting stat.

There are about 16 million Gen zr’s that came to voting age after Trump was elected. Right now, polling says they support Biden 94-6.

Now, I’m not a big fan of TikTok, but my experience with it has shown me how influential it is with young people and what they want to participate in. Right now it’s a hotbed if anti-Trumpism. I think it could have some real effects on young turnout.

Yes, I’m the first to bash young voter turnout, but even if they turnout in normal 15-20% fashion. That’s about 3 million fresh votes out there.

Trumps will be a death by a thousand cuts.
Movement away from him by women, by white voters, by veterans, by active military, by suburbanites, younger voters, by evangelicals, etc... it will be a collective shift that will doom Trump. And one that he alone is responsible for.

Just a caveat on an earlier post. The National poll with Biden +13 did not weight for education and was way over sampled on college grads.
Most likely the poll if weighted would be more in the +9 range. But I guess it evens out the Rasmussen’s. :D

Interesting stat.

There are about 16 million Gen zr’s that came to voting age after Trump was elected. Right now, polling says they support Biden 94-6.

Now, I’m not a big fan of TikTok, but my experience with it has shown me how influential it is with young people and what they want to participate in. Right now it’s a hotbed if anti-Trumpism. I think it could have some real effects on young turnout.

Yes, I’m the first to bash young voter turnout, but even if they turnout in normal 15-20% fashion. That’s about 3 million fresh votes out there.

I hope so. I thought similar things regarding the last UK election, it had been 3 years since the Brexit vote and pretty much every university student was a new voter since then. But the Tories were elected in a landslide on a Get Brexit Done platform.

Luckily, Biden is far less divisive than Corbyn and polling much better.

I hope so. I thought similar things regarding the last UK election, it had been 3 years since the Brexit vote and pretty much every university student was a new voter since then. But the Tories were elected in a landslide on a Get Brexit Done platform.

Luckily, Biden is far less divisive than Corbyn and polling much better.

Probably helps that Biden's in a party quite (rightfully) desperate to unseat the Republicans, unlike the Labour right who preferred to see the Tories win than their own party under a social democratic platform.

Probably helps that Biden's in a party quite (rightfully) desperate to unseat the Republicans, unlike the Labour right who preferred to see the Tories win than their own party under a social democratic platform.

Very true, Corbyn was divisive with both the public and his own party. Shame, his manifesto was a huge step in the right direction for the UK. Thankfully, the Dems have a wholesome American powdered toast man as their candidate and it’s the GOP who are more torn with their leader’s platform (even if they fall in line with the majority).

So, it might just be something to throw people off, but speaker schedule for the DNC was released.

Listed speakers included Warren, Whitmer and Harris. Also listed separately "VP nominee"

hmmmmm...

I really was hoping it would be Harris and not Rice. sigh. But again, it might just be something to keep us guessing.

so you're telling me my +1600 bet on Stacey Abrams is still alive?

That was first thought!

200w.webp

coughvaldemingscough

I would REALLY have to hand it to the Biden team if this was the case. To think that maybe they purposefully "leaked" that Rice, Bass and Harris were the final three the last couple weeks, only to come out with Demings, would be something. But alas, I doubt it.

Further thought on the DNC schedule, I kinda forgot that literally nobody but Biden and maybe one or two other people know the pick. Which means whoever was in charge of putting together a schedule, most likely had no information to work with. So probably not a tell of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom