US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hilarious. I'm hoping it gets pulled from social media since it's whole premise is a lie.
Biden had two Latina's in the running, and he has never promised that his pick would be an African American woman.

On top of that, does talking about how Latino's are somehow more valuable to America than African Americans, really a message you want to be running?

Oh, and there's two misspellings in it as well. Sigh...

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1289236481618219008

That’s like the Belgian strategy in Africa - turn different groups of local/indigenous populations against each other while picking a side randomly.

LAW AND ORDER!!

ABC-Ipsos online poll:

Federal agents responding to protests in cities

Make the situation better 30%
Make the situation worse 52%

Trump's handling of protests around the U.S.

Approve 36%
Disapprove 64%

Trump's handling of the COVID pandemic

Approve 34%
Disapprove 66%

It doesn't look good that he can't seem to make a decision about this. Plus Susan Rice would be a mistake, too much negative Obama admin baggage.

Biden's running mate announcement pushed back, likely will not come next week

REBECCA MORIN | USA TODAY | 14 hours ago

As talk swirls around Joe Biden's pick for a VP, the presumptive Democratic nominee was seen holding a note with Sen. Kamala Harris' name at the top.

USA TODAY

WASHINGTON – Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, previously said the announcement of his running mate would be in the first week of August.

But that announcement has been pushed back.

A source familiar with the process said that an announcement isn't likely next week. According to the New York Times and CNN, the announcement will come the week before the Democratic National Convention, which is scheduled for Aug. 17 to 20.

Three candidates, Karen Bass of California, Sen. Kamala Harris of California and former national security advisor Susan Rice, have emerged as the top contenders for Biden's running mate, according to the reports from the Times and CNN.

Truth. And Biden should call this crap out.

BY LAUREN LEADER, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR
The Hill

Last April, I wrote an op-ed for these pages calling out the sexist double standards that the six women running for the Democratic nomination at that time were facing. I showed that not only were women running getting overlooked by the media and receiving less coverage than the men, but the coverage they did get was also overwhelmingly negative. In particular, women were more likely to be described as "ambitious," a term meant as a slur, not a compliment. The piece went viral and was picked up by the Daily Show. They did a spoof ridiculing this kind of blatant misogyny. Women everywhere nodded in agreement. A year later, nothing has changed.

Explosive reporting from CNBC found that Biden "insiders" were actively campaigning against the prospect of Kamala Harris as VP because she is "too ambitious" struck a nerve. Twitter lit up immediately with comments from women everywhere, pointing out the outrageous sexist double standard that is so glaring in a story like this.

You may feel Harris is not the right person for the ticket based on the disorganization and infighting reported from her presidential run. Or there may be strategic reasons why a senator for California is not the right choice. But targeting Harris based on her ambition is deeply offensive blatant sexism.

Biden will announce his VP pick next week, and interest is running high. He has committed to picking a woman, and there's the widespread belief it is likely to be a Black woman. There are many highly qualified, talented women running, but the ambition trope leaked from the campaign gives us a small preview of what's to come to no matter who he picks.

Women everywhere are bracing for a barrage of sexist and thinly veiled racist attacks likely to head her way, whoever she is. We've seen it all before. Women who dare to have ambition, who want to lead at the highest levels and ask others to support them in their do so are expected to become an impossible combination of kind, warm, modest, tough but not too tough, hardworking but not driven, pretty but not too sexy, smart but not a know it all. These pervasive double standards are so impossible no wonder we've not yet elected a woman president. Who could meet these impossible standards?

It should be obvious to everyone how ridiculous the ambition trope is. How is anyone expected to rise to high office or high achievement without it? And yet for women, the undercurrent is one of cold, ruthless calculation. None of these subtle and destructive implications apply to ambitious men. They are rewarded for their ambition. In the case of Harris, the implication that her ambition makes her disloyal to Biden because she would dare to seek the Presidency herself encapsulates centuries of sexism that continue to hold all women back. Vice President Biden should call it out and shut it down immediately. Regardless of if he decides to pick Harris, the narrative sets women back.

It's worth noting that while we may celebrate the milestone of a female Democratic vice presidential nominee next week, it's been 36 years since Geraldine Ferraro broke that barrier. Fifty-nine other nations have elected a female head of state. This month marks the Centenary of the 19th Amendment, and yet the U.S. ranks 86th in the world for the political empowerment of women. Yes, there is a historic number of women in Congress, but it's still barely 25 percent. Barely 5 percent of CEO's of major companies are female. Why is the United States so slow to get to anything like gender equity in positions of power? Because as a society, we cannot move past the pervasive sexist double standards that hold women back.

As we speed into the last 90 days of the 2020 presidential cycle, it's incumbent on everyone in the campaigns, in the press and in public to challenge ourselves not to repeat and reinforce the same old sexist tropes that hold back not only women running for high office but women everywhere. We can do better, and it's way past the time that we did.

Lauren Leader is the co-founder and CEO of All In Together, a non-partisan non-profit dedicated to women's political education and empowerment

This may end up benefitting Harris in the end, especially if Biden calls it out. An ambitious woman - the horror! Especially now.

I don't think he will call it out, and I think he'll pick Karen Bass. Honestly I didn't even know who she was. Hopefully she's not too ambitious :rolleyes:

Truth. And Biden should call this crap out.

BY LAUREN LEADER, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR
The Hill

Last April, I wrote an op-ed for these pages calling out the sexist double standards that the six women running for the Democratic nomination at that time were facing. I showed that not only were women running getting overlooked by the media and receiving less coverage than the men, but the coverage they did get was also overwhelmingly negative. In particular, women were more likely to be described as "ambitious," a term meant as a slur, not a compliment. The piece went viral and was picked up by the Daily Show. They did a spoof ridiculing this kind of blatant misogyny. Women everywhere nodded in agreement. A year later, nothing has changed.

Explosive reporting from CNBC found that Biden "insiders" were actively campaigning against the prospect of Kamala Harris as VP because she is "too ambitious" struck a nerve. Twitter lit up immediately with comments from women everywhere, pointing out the outrageous sexist double standard that is so glaring in a story like this.

You may feel Harris is not the right person for the ticket based on the disorganization and infighting reported from her presidential run. Or there may be strategic reasons why a senator for California is not the right choice. But targeting Harris based on her ambition is deeply offensive blatant sexism.

Biden will announce his VP pick next week, and interest is running high. He has committed to picking a woman, and there's the widespread belief it is likely to be a Black woman. There are many highly qualified, talented women running, but the ambition trope leaked from the campaign gives us a small preview of what's to come to no matter who he picks.

Women everywhere are bracing for a barrage of sexist and thinly veiled racist attacks likely to head her way, whoever she is. We've seen it all before. Women who dare to have ambition, who want to lead at the highest levels and ask others to support them in their do so are expected to become an impossible combination of kind, warm, modest, tough but not too tough, hardworking but not driven, pretty but not too sexy, smart but not a know it all. These pervasive double standards are so impossible no wonder we've not yet elected a woman president. Who could meet these impossible standards?

It should be obvious to everyone how ridiculous the ambition trope is. How is anyone expected to rise to high office or high achievement without it? And yet for women, the undercurrent is one of cold, ruthless calculation. None of these subtle and destructive implications apply to ambitious men. They are rewarded for their ambition. In the case of Harris, the implication that her ambition makes her disloyal to Biden because she would dare to seek the Presidency herself encapsulates centuries of sexism that continue to hold all women back. Vice President Biden should call it out and shut it down immediately. Regardless of if he decides to pick Harris, the narrative sets women back.

It's worth noting that while we may celebrate the milestone of a female Democratic vice presidential nominee next week, it's been 36 years since Geraldine Ferraro broke that barrier. Fifty-nine other nations have elected a female head of state. This month marks the Centenary of the 19th Amendment, and yet the U.S. ranks 86th in the world for the political empowerment of women. Yes, there is a historic number of women in Congress, but it's still barely 25 percent. Barely 5 percent of CEO's of major companies are female. Why is the United States so slow to get to anything like gender equity in positions of power? Because as a society, we cannot move past the pervasive sexist double standards that hold women back.

As we speed into the last 90 days of the 2020 presidential cycle, it's incumbent on everyone in the campaigns, in the press and in public to challenge ourselves not to repeat and reinforce the same old sexist tropes that hold back not only women running for high office but women everywhere. We can do better, and it's way past the time that we did.

Lauren Leader is the co-founder and CEO of All In Together, a non-partisan non-profit dedicated to women's political education and empowerment

I think what we have here is an incredibly overblown story about what happens behind the scenes in every campaign during this process. Every time there are going to be some people with some contrary ideas and that's ok. The candidate takes in all the input and makes the decision that he or she wants.

And from what I've heard, he's not pushing back the decision. He had said August 1st a long time ago. That got changed a while back to the first week of August. Word now is that it will still be the first week of August, but maybe late in the week.

James Clybern who was instrumental in Joe's success in the primary, came out last week and made a statement that he believes Biden needs to focus on a candidate with passion above all. That Joe has the experience and the wisdom, but needs to have someone that brings excitement. I would say that was a sign to Biden that Rice and Bass are probably not who he would choose. And more of a boost to Harris or Abrams.

I don't like how even this article makes it seem like Biden's team which is the most diverse of any we've seen, is somehow teaming with misogynists reflecting poorly on him. Yeah, I think he could come out and call it out, and say these rumors are ridiculous. But he also could just make the call that he thinks is best and this story will be forgotten before the end of that day.

Just a comment here.

We as a country, as a people have become so numb to daily corruption and plain horribleness that comes every day from Trump, that a story that is probably one of the worst I've heard in the last 3.5 years doesn't hardly make the news.

Vanity Fair article - pretty much to sum it up. Trump administration decided that it was ok for people who lived in states that didn't vote quite as much for him, to die. That is so off the charts, monstrous and depraved and sick, that it's almost hard to comprehend. Yet, I've seen way more coverage of Biden VP, "too much ambition" story the past two days than this.

Two take-aways here.
One, the media hasn't learned or changed one bit since 2016.
and two, if we don't get rid of Trump in November, our country will be lost.

womanfish; Two take-aways here. One said:
I think our country is lost already. At least for the short term.

Electing Biden stops some of the bleeding. But the infection still exists in this country.

We have 30-40% who think of their fellow Americans as the enemy. That want to be ruled by a king. Hate science. Just want a white nation.

The amount of work Biden and his team will need to perform to get us out of

A pandemic
A depression
Racial and national divide

Will be asking too much of one term, or even two. The 2008 recession was a big challenge for Obama and he did a pretty good job. A great job is you consider he had every step along the way fending off the GOP and Joe Fucking Liberman (who killed the public option)

Our number one goal is get trump out. Then focus on the pandemic. Economy can only come back once the virus is managed or destroyed.

Then we investigate every crime Trump and his party did

Some random polling stuff

Biden's eating Trump's Rust Belt base. He looks like he's posting double-digit gains over Clinton with white voters & non-college whites in MI+PA+WI. That gives Biden clear leads in those states. If that holds, Biden has a clear path to 270 electoral votes

Two state polls out today

GA: Biden +1
NC: Biden +4

Two quick points on North Carolina: No Republican has won the presidency without it in over 60 years. Biden is up there. Two, Cunningham has opened up a small lead in the Senate race. Puts him in better position than Ross ever was 4 years ago in NC Senate.

He “isn’t wrong” if you’re worried about a culture war. China doesn’t use our Facebook but we use their tik tok. At the end of the day, being scared what becomes of the data is sort of like playing China’s game.

BREAKING: Vote By Mail ballot returns for Aug. 18 primary:

FL Democrats: 507,007
FL GOP: 390,565

At this point in 2018,
GOP had a 60,000 edge over Dems in returns

Today, Dems have 116,442 edge in returns

It's generally not a great idea for an adversary to have access to the movement of millions of civilians.

Worth the big deal that it's turned into? Probably not. But still would be better if the app were owned by someone else

The “adversary” is such a wishy washy term. I work around that term on the daily and I hate it. It’s polite and fitting and all, and you’re not wrong in the sense that it’s not like they’re not opportunists just like us.

But my point is, as a country, as a government, as an entity, you have multiple options of how to mitigate that threat. Look how russia uses Facebook lol.

I finally see how she looks like Donald Trump and it’s just as unsettling at the other two Trump kids making the mouth-anus face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom