US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this was an easily-avoidable own goal. he (and his speechwriters) needs to be a lot more careful about mistakes like this.

Totally agree.

A good % of the population (and no, not just the lunatics) believe that both candidates are senile at best and suffering from significant dementia at worst.

Contributing to this belief is not a productive way to get votes.

Is it unfair that Biden has to worry about saying something like this while his opponent wishes Ghislaine Maxwell well? Of course not, but we have the reality we have, not the one we wish we had.

it's my own mistake. i shouldn't have posted something off-topic in the Orange Man Bad Thread.

Whereby the horseshoe theory fits again like a glove ... even the same terminology.

If you have something substantive, like policy or strategy, beyond “old man yells at cloud,” I won’t object.

But he misspoke. That’s it. What else is there to say?

I find this line of reasoning that "Trump exists therefore Biden should be immune to criticism" to be really bizarre TBH. No one has forgotten that Trump is in office because of the quote Dave posted.

Stop. No one is saying Biden is above criticism. He is above what is presently masquerading as a criticism.

Whereby the horseshoe theory fits again like a glove ... even the same terminology.

If you have something substantive, like policy or strategy, beyond “old man yells at cloud,” I won’t object.

death, taxes, and irvine smugly condescending to anyone to the left of him.

my apologies for not deferring to your rules as the Gatekeeper of the Thread before posting.

Last edited:

my apologies for not deferring to your rules as the Gatekeeper of the Thread before posting.

I’m not the gatekeeper. Post anything you want.

I will respond, or not, if I want, and you can respond back. That’s how it works, I think.

I don’t feel these powers attributed to me. Not in the slightest.

I wonder if Geraldo ever went to the island..Maybe Trump should just offer Ghoulaine a job at the WH. Is Chief Of Scum a thing?

Geraldo Rivera Calls Donald Trump “Brave” For Ghislaine Maxwell Well Wishes, Says Alleged Procurer’s Detention Is “Woke Politics”
Greg Evans
July 22, 2020, 12:02 PM

Fox News’ Geraldo Rivera says President Donald Trump was “brave” to offer well wishes to accused sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell. And Rivera didn’t stop there, saying the pre-trial detention of Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged procurer of underage girls is just “woke politics.”

In a soon-to-trend tweet this morning, Rivera wrote, “When asked @realDonaldTrump
said he wished #GhislaineMaxwellArrested well. With media mob eager to see her lynched it was brave to weigh in. Fact: cases vs her are for crimes allegedly committed more than 25 years ago. She deserved bail & got solitary confinement: woke politics.”

You really have to ask yourself what the backstory is with Geraldo. Why would anyone in their right mind white knight for this brazen criminal? Like, that's the hill he wants to die on?

yes let's not discuss the campaign statements of a major candidate for president of the united states in the US politics thread lest we get distracted.
Exactly. We shouldn’t elevate non-stories into stories because it gives us a chance to virtue flex.

This wasn’t a “campaign statement” either.

Consider this, DAVE and Irving:
perhaps; now, I've read nothing but the headline yet - I had to cut down from my news following Trump & Co non/actions by 30% since Tues because I was getting really emotionally ragged (serious :crack:) -

...Biden is saying Drumph is the first modern way more dog whistling, to occasional straight out comments, to full on train siren we've had in modern times.

Reagan while invoking "States Rights" :)rolleyes:) I'd have gotten had I'd been listeningbut I wasn't paying much attention to him at first campaigning - but the Philadelphia, Miss location of his rally would've been super ultra-high frequency (!); totally over my head. I was a few years too young to have known about that and even afterwards (too young to be watching the news regularly). It's where the 3 Civil Rights were slaughtered.
Nixon usually kept his racism, and anti-Semitism under cover. Only when the tapes came out...

The Bushes soft peddled their words, anyway (vs some policies). Clinton was mixed.

Think about it...

Last edited:
That’s what happened in 2016. Look where we are.

Dave is a Canadian and young people don’t vote. I think it’s safe to assume that Donald Trump’s shoestring victory was based upon the middle not making a decision. Honestly, nothing has changed and 2020 will be the exact same thing. The middle making a decision. Their decision to vote against Hillary Clinton had nothing to do with Bernie Sanders supporters who expressed negative views of Hillary.

I'd say there's a difference between 2016 and 2020 in that voter disenchantment was the major enemy in the first but now it's voter suppression.

yes let's not discuss the campaign statements of a major candidate for president of the united states in the US politics thread lest we get distracted.
Exactly. We shouldn’t elevate non-stories into stories because it gives us a chance to virtue flex.

This wasn’t a “campaign statement” either.

Consider this, DAVE and Irving: perhaps; now, I've read nothing but the headline yet - I had to cut down from my news following Trump & Co non/actions by 30% since Tues because I was getting really emotionally ragged (serious :crack:) -
Biden is saying Drumph is the first modern way more dog whistling, to occasional straight out comments, to full on train siren we've had in modern times.

Reagan while invoking "States Rights" :)rolleyes:) I'd have gotten but I wasn't paying much attention to him at first campaigning - but the Philadelphia, Miss location of his rally would've beensuper ultra-high frequency (!); I was a few years too young to have known about that. Not allowed to fully watch the news yet

Nixon kept that vitreol mostly under wraps, later there were his tapes. 41 & 43, mostly under wraps verbally (vs policy). Clinton was mixed.

Really, think about this...

Last edited:
Dave is a Canadian and young people don’t vote. I think it’s safe to assume that Donald Trump’s shoestring victory was based upon the middle not making a decision. Honestly, nothing has changed and 2020 will be the exact same thing. The middle making a decision. Their decision to vote against Hillary Clinton had nothing to do with Bernie Sanders supporters who expressed negative views of Hillary.

I agree that 2020 is different than 2016. Trump doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore. You are right that independents don’t seem likely to break for him at the last minute.

What I do think happened (and many things happened), and what I worry about repeating in 2020, is a lack of enthusiasm for HRC, that came from many places — the candidate’s relative lack of charisma, a 25-year long hate campaign against her, Russians, misogyny, and a left wing that repeatedly complained that she was no better/different than Trump. The lack of enthusiasm was most electorally salient in underperforming Rust Belt cities where 77,000 votes could have easily be found in Milwaukee, Detroit, and Philadelphia with just a hair more enthusiasm.

I think it is important, as we head into the final 4 months, to not just vote for Biden but to actively support him. Turnout will be critical. There are very good things about Biden and his platform. In order to defeat Trump, I believe it will be important to focus on the good and not get bogged down in stories that only gain traction amongst the dissatisfied left — haven’t seen a whisper of this on any right wing website I’ve been to today, and I’m not that worried about charges of senility due to “PERSON WOMAN MAN CAMERA TV” being a thing right now.

So I am going to try to actively make a pro-Biden case in whatever political discussions I do have, because 77,000 votes is so small that tiny voices could make a difference.

I would do the same for any D nominee.

Last edited:
haven’t seen a whisper of this on any right wing website I’ve been to today, and I’m not that worried about charges of senility due to “PERSON WOMAN MAN CAMERA TV” being a thing right now.

Well, it would be a bit hard for right wing websites to really take advantage of Biden's statement. "No, Biden is incorrect, Trump isn't the most racist president ever! There was also Andrew Jackson and Richard Nixon!" Then Trump is still tainted with those associations.
And as you say, the current focus on senility is apparently "PERSON WOMAN MAN CAMERA TV".

Well, it would be a bit hard for right wing websites to really take advantage of Biden's statement. "No, Biden is incorrect, Trump isn't the most racist president ever! There was also Andrew Jackson and Richard Nixon!" Then Trump is still tainted with those associations.
And as you say, the current focus on senility is apparently "PERSON WOMAN MAN CAMERA TV".

That's not senility. Trump is clearly suffering from dementia, the exact form of which is best left to medical doctors to diagnose. The cover up of this will come out in the wash, maybe next year if he loses, maybe when he fucks off to hell or maybe years later, but it will come out, just like St. Ronnie's Alzheimer's did. The main difference being is that the Reagan administration actually had capable people in charge (regardless of what we think of the policies), had a fairly clear foreign policy that was eons above writing love letters to Kim Jong Un and neither Reagan nor those around him had a desire to inflict a scorched earth approach on their fellow citizens and the rest of the world.

Trump's probably going to tweet about the Black Lives Matter ceremony held by the Yankees and Nationals. They didn't actually kneel during the anthem, so maybe he's ok with that. Doubt it.

Poor Dr. Fauci can't throw a pitch. He should have pretended he had Trump's face as a target.

So the national and some state polling has been a bit crazy lately. Of course there will be fluctuations, and with Biden having one of the largest leads at this point in recent history, it is only rational to think that the polls will tighten as we go.

Today's state polls from Fox News and Quinnipiac are OOF-level bad for Trump. To be down 13 in Florida of all places...

Wow. I just saw these. Very welcome sight.
If someone would have told me 6 months ago that In late July Trump would be behind the same amount in FL and MN, I would have said they need to let me smoke a little of what they’ve got.

Add to Trump’s forthcoming troubles

Had to cancel the GOP convention in FL, now scrambling to find something, anything to scrape together in a month.

Looming military funding bill that he is promising to veto because it has the renaming of confederate names based.

Michael Cohen re-released from prison.

Obama will soon be getting more involved in the campaign.

Biden will be naming his VP within 2-3 weeks, which will dominate the cycle for a bit and may give a small bump depending on the choice.

The DEM convention which in itself will dominate the cycle and bring a bump.
So if they are smart, they will announce the VP at least a week or more before the convention. It would almost secure a solid two to three week block of holding the public conversation. That’s 14-21 days out of the 100 days we have left.

Not to mention the overarching unknown of Covid. At the moment, I’m guessing the economic and jobs numbers won’t be as rosy as last month. School is going to be a mess.
If a new bill with extended benefits isn’t passed by next week, or is passed with a much smaller amount, the shit will hit the fan. I know personally that my family will be in deep shit without extended benefits.
Still looking like a quarter million people will be dead by November.

I don’t see anything but landlines first Trump for the next couple months.

Last edited:

A leftist criticising the right-of-centre Democratic presidential candidate without mentioning Trump in the same post? That's horseshoe theory babey

I don’t see anything but landlines first Trump for the next couple months.

tru.jpg

You can tell there that he is stupid but that on top of that he has really neurologically declined at present day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom