US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She deserves to be voted out along with the whole lot of them.

Maybe you're the monster!!! She said that she'll be praying for RBG. That's enough for me. You can take your athiest antifa ass straight outta here!!

She should just say “but we had a black president back then, we have a very white one now. It’s a totally different situation.”

https://twitter.com/joshuapotash/status/1285853129884553217?s=21

I see two parts to this

It’s a show for Trump and Barr to use as bait for 2020 election. To try and scare the burbs into thinking a Biden presidency will bring more of this

It’s also just straight up fascism. We look at this from our screens and are safe but this army is actually harming people in Portland. They’re taking people away and using violence.

I don’t get why democrats aren’t screaming about this ? It’s been almost a month since we discovered Russia put bounties on our troops and still have no answers from the White House

Oh no! A misstatement!

Guess I better get distracted by that rather than focus on the federal “troops” being deployed to Chicago and ABQ to crack skulls.

yes let's not discuss the campaign statements of a major candidate for president of the united states in the US politics thread lest we get distracted.

yes let's not discuss the campaign statements of a major candidate for president of the united states in the US politics thread lest we get distracted.

Exactly. We shouldn’t elevate non-stories into stories because it gives us a chance to virtue flex.

This wasn’t a “campaign statement” either.

Exactly. We shouldn’t elevate non-stories into stories because it gives us a chance to virtue flex. .

Exactly. We shouldn’t elevate non-stories into stories because it gives us a chance to virtue flex. .

Trump wishes Ghislaine Maxwell well from the podium.

Trump-speak for, keep your mouth shut about me and I'll pardon you after I lose in November.

Yep, that's one of the sickest things he has ever done. Sex abuse trafficker groomer abuser enabler, good people. Gabe Kapler, bad people.

He was signaling to her and it's outrageous. But the shitshow is so huge that you barely hear a word about it. And of course Bill Clinton was involved with Epstein, not Trump. Not that fine upstanding American DJT.

It's not the appropriate time to criticise the Democrat ...

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/status/1286240408884961292?s=21

This could go over into the Covid thread but i think since the context is policy it can go here.

There’s been a lot of talk, maybe, maybe too much talk about vaccines.

Yet there’s been no discussion on the plan to provide them to the country. We hear things like front line workers and the elderly are first

But after that? This virus seems to be more harmful to people of color so would it make sense to give minority class higher priority? How would the rest handle this ?

Here’s the only given i see. If trump is still in charge if a vaccine is available his admin will fuck it up. His government can’t even supply medical equipment during the pandemic. State governments had to bid against each other on the open market. How ugly will it get when he dangles vaccines for favors ??

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1286307582060007424?s=21

At this point i do not care what Joe Biden says. His gaffes or even if he proposes some shitty policy

It cannot be worse than what Trump and Barr are doing to this country.

Every day, every week Trump is going to drag us further than a hole that will be difficult for literal Saint to pull us out of.

By the weekend we’ll be seeing these same tactics in Chicago and Cleveland

All the early promising vaccines are likely not going to be fully effective and appear to require two doses. The probability of us producing 14 BILLION doses + administering them in short order is basically zero.

All the early promising vaccines are likely not going to be fully effective and appear to require two doses. The probability of us producing 14 BILLION doses + administering them in short order is basically zero.

A global pandemic justifying the proliferation of vaccine blueprints globally seems like the only humane thing to do, and mutually beneficial. The govt should band together with the wealthiest of nations and buy out the winning company or some shit.

I’ve been told Jared is on it!!

So the national and some state polling has been a bit crazy lately. Of course there will be fluctuations, and with Biden having one of the largest leads at this point in recent history, it is only rational to think that the polls will tighten as we go.

So we see the average starting to tighten. Biden from +9.5 to now about +7.8. While still a very large lead, its tightening nonetheless.

But a closer look shows that it really is just one pollster that is responsible for the majority of this tightening. The normally right leaning Rasmussen has seemingly gone much farther in that direction.

If you take Rasmussen out of the last week of national polling, Biden is at +9ish.
Which has been his lead since June 1st.
But Rasmussen has put out two polls in the last week with Biden +2 and Biden +3

The average approval/disapproval for Trump without Rasmussen is about 17-18 disapproval. Rasmussen has him tied at 49 approve, 49 disapprove.

Of course campaign statements can be discussed here. And I think it was more a political statement by Biden to show how extreme Trump is than an actual misstatement. Because yes, there have been other US presidents that were very racist. And Biden likely knows this as well. But that does not make Trump's racism normal.

Of course campaign statements can be discussed here. And I think it was more a political statement by Biden to show how extreme Trump is than an actual misstatement. Because yes, there have been other US presidents that were very racist. And Biden likely knows this as well. But that does not make Trump's racism normal.

I agree. I do think this was a kind of a stupid statement. I think he was trying to make a point that Trump is the most vocal, unapologetic racist in our modern history. Was Nixon a racist. Yeah, I would say so. In the same way as Trump? No. So Biden would have been better off saying that Trump is the only modern president that has so brazenly and outwardly used race to divide the American people, and to put forward both policies and actions that make people of color suffer more than they have already had to endure.

That said, I think the push back here comes more from the viewpoint that when we have a white nationalist in office, currently deploying paramilitary troops to beat and round up protesters, that talking about how bad Andrew Jackson was 200 years ago doesn't really matter right now. And to jump on Biden for a statement that didn't focus on them, is walking that line of the false equivalence nonsense of 2016 that still is bitterly held by Democrats.

We get enough of it from the media. Trump has one day of wearing a mask, he's a hero. He has one day of making a Covid statement read directly from notes and he has changed his tone and is serious! Even while wishing a child sex trafficer all the best.

I find this line of reasoning that "Trump exists therefore Biden should be immune to criticism" to be really bizarre TBH. No one has forgotten that Trump is in office because of the quote Dave posted.

it was a profoundly stupid thing to say. and it wasn't a misstated word or a simple slip of the tongue, he went for several sentences on this. i agree 100% that there is a decent point in there about *modern* presidents and their actions in office, but either it was horrifically written or biden fumbled the delivery badly.

people in this thread can put their fingers in their ears and cry "distraction! non-event!" all they want, and they are right to a point, but these kind of things feed very easily into the fox news/facebook narrative that biden isn't fit for office. it's not likely to make anyone vote for trump who wasn't going to already, but the right is pushing this whole "biden is senile" narrative so hard because potential voters are more likely to just stay home if they think that both candidates have oatmeal for brains. they did the same thing to clinton last time with the "fainting" video and it worked. the entire GOP campaign this time around is going to be about making sure turnout is as abysmal as possible and biden making this kind of dumb statement is like shit for horseflies.

this was an easily-avoidable own goal. he (and his speechwriters) needs to be a lot more careful about mistakes like this.

this was an easily-avoidable own goal. he (and his speechwriters) needs to be a lot more careful about mistakes like this.

I agree, they need to be clear about their statements so they don't give either any fuel to the opponent or any reason for apathetic voters who are thinking of voting Biden just to oust Trump to change their minds and either stay home or vote 3rd party.

We've seen too many times how one bad soundbite can torpedo a campaign in recent history. And Trump's people are just waiting for that soundbite.

The saddest part of all is that’s what our politics and country have come down to

People make their decision not based on policy or the good of the nation

It’s who says the least stupid thing.

Or emails

Or he’s the kinda guy i can have a beer with

Idiocracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom