US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia attacked us and continues to do so. That is not hyperbole.

Do you think China isn’t doing the same thing? Or that these types of attacks aren’t more common than advertised? Russia launched a really big one because Trump was an opportunity, but they’d been doing it for years.

Don’t you think we also participate in propaganda warfare globally to suit our interests?

The point is that Trump is toxic because he is too stupid to do anything about it.

China scares me more than Russia.

Russia is definitely bad but China seems to dwarf Russia in every bad category.

And i assume with the US botching the pandemic more allies will work with China for trade / economic deals

I don’t promote the idea of launching a red scare and conflating Vladimir Putin and Soviet Russia/the Cold War as some giant US enemy.

It’s reductive.

Donald Trump is easily manipulated and foes take advantage of it, while he alienates our friends. That’s enough.

Yes, but the ad itself is amazing.

Do you think China isn’t doing the same thing? Or that these types of attacks aren’t more common than advertised? Russia launched a really big one because Trump was an opportunity, but they’d been doing it for years.

Don’t you think we also participate in propaganda warfare globally to suit our interests?

The point is that Trump is toxic because he is too stupid to do anything about it.
I never said that China wasn't an adversary. I was only refuting the point that Russia wasn't.

I also dispute the "Trump is so stupid he can't do anything about it" argument. It makes it seem as if his actions aren't intentional.

I prefer "Trump is so transactional he doesn't care"

Last edited:
I never said that China wasn't an adversary. I was only refuting the point that Russia wasn't.

I also dispute the "Trump is so stupid he can't do anything about it" argument. It makes it seem as if his actions aren't intentional.

I prefer "Trump is so transactional he doesn't care"

You were refuting what point that said russia wasn’t “an adversary”? I never said that.

I’m sorry but I entirely disagree with your evaluation of the president. He is in fact that stupid. His ego is so big that he believes himself to be a master deal maker who definitely knows what he’s doing, and his paranoia of how everyone thinks he’s wrong only drives his little egotistical brain to doing exactly whatever people criticize him for.

He gets criticized for trying to be businessy and clever on a world leader like Vladimir Putin, who is a million times smarter than him, so he doubles down and makes matters worse.

the UK had a bill of rights passed into law 90 years before the USA even existed. france was writing their declaration of the rights of man & of the citizen at literally the exact same time as the americans were writing the bill of rights amendments. the US bill of rights is in no way exceptional, other than the part about guns.

the electoral college, "drumph", "repugs", and all that supercharged gerrymandering and voter suppression are all also extremely american.

:eyebrow:
Hey, don't make me not want wish you a belated Happy Canada Day.

I do take your points about the UK, and France.
As for the other stuff - I've tried my best over decades to keep/get America back to genuine liberal, progressive policies.

I know there was some objection about using "a red scare" in ads against Republicans. But I think just the opposite. How long have we complained that Dem ads are all soft and blah, and Rep ads are more effective? And the reason I think it's not just ok, but crucial to do this, is that well, it's actually true this time. It's not a fake scare tactic like caravans, and Antifa. We have a Russian agent (whether knowingly or just a useful idiot) in the White House, and a Congress and Senate full of enablers to that agent. We have a president obsessed with leading as a dictator and not a president of a democracy.

This latest Biden ad actually has some balls

https://twitter.com/aishaismad/status/1278395370909962241

New polls out so far today

Monmouth (A+ pollster) - Biden +12

Hart Surveys (Dem pollster - B/C rated) - Biden +14

Reuters/Ispos (B pollster) - Biden +8

YouGov (B- pollster) - Biden +9

On average, Biden's led by 11 points in live interview national surveys over the last month

Another poll showing Biden holding an unprecedented 30 point lead w/college+ whites. That means Rs in House & Senate races haven’t nearly hit the bottom yet in the nation’s white collar suburbs.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Maybe we now know why they tried to take out the SDNY DA.

https://twitter.com/eliehonig/status/1278724724940509186

Now you'll have someone on the right gleefully bring up Bill Clinton.

Frankly anyone who is involved needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I don't care what side of the aisle they sit on.

This is sick.

And again, media, it's not "underage women" it's CHILDREN, thanks.

Now you'll have someone on the right gleefully bring up Bill Clinton.

Frankly anyone who is involved needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I don't care what side of the aisle they sit on.

This is sick.

And again, media, it's not "underage women" it's CHILDREN, thanks.

Absolutely. I don't care who it takes down. And really, don't give a shit if they "commit suicide" either. This went so far beyond Epstein and her, that there are plenty of people that should be getting locked up.

Flattening the cash on hand curve...

Not only has Biden outraised Trump for the last two months. He is spending almost nothing on ads yet.

Trump has ramped up his TV spending dramatically, spending $31M since May 11. Biden, on the other hand, has only spent $3.2M in this time period.

Herman Cain hospitalized with Covid.

This will sound awful, but after hundreds of thousands dead on what could have been less, and no end in sight, we desperately need to make an example of a high profile person who is failing us. It would normally be entirely unacceptable to wish death upon somebody, and I’ll stop short of saying I hope Herman Cain dies because I don’t really, but I do kinda wish that one of the Trump family members (preferably donald himself l) would have a fucking tube shoved down his throat sitting on the edge of life and death, just to be made an example of. It could genuinely save tens of thousands of lives.

On the flipside, his qanon crowd might go full loco and launch a civil war over a conspiracy that the Clinton foundation brought liberal Walt Disney out of cryostasis to invent a 6G phytoplanktoniananovirus injectable to incapacitate Trumpykins (hashtag deep state).

On the flipside, his qanon crowd might go full loco and launch a civil war over a conspiracy that the Clinton foundation brought liberal Walt Disney out of cryostasis to invent a 6G phytoplanktoniananovirus injectable to incapacitate Trumpykins (hashtag deep state).

Nailed it. You just left out pizza and Tom Hanks.

TOM%20HANKS%20POSES%20WITH%20A%20DRUNK%20FAN.

Amongst democratic voters in a USA Today poll for excitement:

Kamala Harris (white voters): 41%
Kamala Harris (black voters): 32%
Kamala Harris (overall): 33%
Kamala Harris (rejecting): 12%

Stacey Abrams (white voters): 20%
Stacey Abrams (black voters): 27%
Stacey Abrams (overall): 29%
Stacey Abrams (rejecting): 10%

Susan Rice (white voters): 20%
Susan Rice (black voters): 24%
Susan Rice (overall): 35%
Susan Rice (rejecting): 10%

Keisha Lance Bottoms (white voters): 16%
Keisha Lance Bottoms (black voters): 25%
Keisha Lance Bottoms (overall): 28%
Keisha Lance Bottoms (rejecting): 7%

75% of white voters believe a woman of color is important to as VP selection
60% of black voters believe a woman of color is important as VP selection

Going back to that old discussion of “how do black people feel about Kamala Harris,” I think this poll is pretty damning. It pretty much says “white people are obsessed with telling black people who to like” all over it. It clearly indicates that, despite the high profile name recognition, black voters are far less enthused about Kamala Harris than white voters. Meanwhile, while rejection of the candidate remains in the margin of error (5%) for all black candidates, white people dramatically favor Kamala Harris, while black voters remain in the margin of error on the top candidates, and are generally more enthused about lesser known candidates than white voters.

Kamala Harris (black voters): 32%

Stacey Abrams (black voters) 27%

Susan Rice (black voters): 24%

Keisha Lance Bottoms (black voters): 25%

Going back to that old discussion of “how do black people feel about Kamala Harris,” I think this poll is pretty damning. It pretty much says “white people are obsessed with telling black people who to like” all over it. It clearly indicates that, despite the high profile name recognition, black voters are far less enthused about Kamala Harris than white voters. .
Conversely one could interpret the data to say Harris is favored highest by black voters.

Conversely one could interpret the data to say Harris is favored highest by black voters.

That’s not converse. The factual statement is that black democratic voters are more excited about Kamala Harris than any other candidate. She’s also the least favored candidate amongst black voters. Because she’s the most well known, she draws the most immediate opinions.

The postulation is that lesser known candidates draw less excitement by simple fact that it is challenging to have opinions at all about things you don’t know about. This is incredibly common in opinion polling. It doesn’t mean that, we’re the other candidates to be more well known, they’d for sure be more popular than Harris. It does, however, clearly indicate that black voters show very little excitement for Harris relative to unknown black female candidates, whereas white voters have a significantly higher excitement.

The conclusion I’ve drawn from that is that Kamala Harris doesn’t excite black voters nearly as much as she excites white voters. You can refute that if you’d like, but that’s also a direct fact from these deltas across demographics, and I’m citing further evidence from deltas across the candidates. Using the margin of error here, one of the very few things you can infer from this data set, with statistical significance, is that Kamala Harris is the only VP candidate present whose black voter excitement is less than white voter excitement.

every single house republican, the supreme court, and both the upper and lower houses of every swing state need to all agree to blatantly ignore the results of an election that trump has plainly lost and go along with the convoluted plan because he says "china", and the democratic-controlled house of representatives is somehow simply going to let this vote go ahead to confirm donald trump for another term.

and i'm going to grow a pair of wings and fly to niagara falls this afternoon.

what's actually going to happen is that he's going to negotiate a deal with biden that he won't dispute the election results and will leave the white house and transfer power peacefully in exchange for an agreement that he and his family won't be prosecuted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom