US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So just wanted to get some thoughts from the thoughtful people here.

I know that these are just the videos that we've seen. But does anyone else here think it's strange and kind of depressing, that 90% of the videos that we see of someone in a store flipping out, screaming at people, threatening staff and customers, throwing things, coughing on people, spitting on people, calling people n#$%^rs, calling people slaves, telling people they will teach their grand kids to hate them, etc... are women?

The real reason the NH rally didn't happen was again because of attendance, Not a storm.
staff saying they were scared when no one lined up, they had much less feedback than normal leading up to this rally.

This is awesome. So the guy that HAS to have rallies to stay even marginally sane, and not go off the deep end, pretty much is now too scared to hold a rally.
Biden meanwhile has stayed committed from the beginning on not doing rallies until it was safe, has spent pennies on the dollar compared to Trump so far, and has chosen perfect times to come out and speak in order to draw contrast, but elusive enough that Trump has no way of attacking him or labeling him.

It's pretty much another nightmare for Li'l Donny.

Just an encouraging update and yet another way that this is not 2016.

The Lincoln Project, just one of several Never Trump Republican outfits, raised 17 million last quarter. Had 90,000 people on their first virtual town hall, and along with expanded ad buys, will soon be running ground operations to try and take out Ernst, Collins, Tillis and Graham.

and p.s. This is what Bloomberg should be doing. Not running some anti-gun ads in North Carolina.

Last edited:
He’s my president now!!

Another photo op and you could tell it had nothing to do with the soldiers he was visiting since the media pushed the mask!!! Narrative hard.

This is the same cycle since 2015. He does the least he can do as a leader, like read a speech, wear a mask, and everyone fawns over it. Then no more than 24 hours later he does something horrible.

I love how a mask makes him look presidential a day after commuting his criminal buddy and basically destroying the rule of law here.

Defund the media.

Which means reform the media, we still need a honest and free media to be a democracy. But like the police, they really need a makeover. Serve the public, not spam us

Interesting state polls this morning

TX Trump +1
TX Biden +5
AZ tied
FL Biden + 6

So just the trend over the last month seems to show TX drifting a little more towards Biden, AZ seeming to tighten, and FL seeming to settle into a +6 groove.

Given the weird numbers coming out of Texas and Georgia, it’s so strange to see Arizona being the one that isn’t swinging more.

Trump campaign meeting:

Ok, we are hemorrhaging support from white women, college educated, suburban voters and seniors. What do we do to fix this?!?!

everyone sitting around rubbing chins, looking at ceiling...

I've GOT IT!! Attack schools, teachers and put lives of their children at risk!!

NICE! great work, what else?

Threaten to pull funding if they don't want to put their lives at risk?!?!

This is GOLD Jerry, GOLD! There's gotta be more.

Well, I think maybe attacking Dr. Fauci would be a good first step. I mean, who trusts this guy anyway??

Woo!! THIS is what I'm talking about! Let's get this rolling

Big back slaps all around

There is no way that anybody is having the discussion with him about how to bring him suburban and/or college educated women. First, because he doesn't give a shit about this demographic. Second, because anyone advising him who has a brain knows he is cooked. Third, because it's obvious that they are hoping for some sort of victory like last time - super excited racist base + foreign help + October surprise (vaccine) + their perception that Biden doesn't excite people + pollsters being wrong + some combination of states where they pull off a Hail Mary.

There is no way that anybody is having the discussion with him about how to bring him suburban and/or college educated women. First, because he doesn't give a shit about this demographic. Second, because anyone advising him who has a brain knows he is cooked. Third, because it's obvious that they are hoping for some sort of victory like last time - super excited racist base + foreign help + October surprise (vaccine) + their perception that Biden doesn't excite people + pollsters being wrong + some combination of states where they pull off a Hail Mary.

I'm under no illusion that they are trying for this. But thought maybe their could be some that might give at least a second thought about not making it even worse.

But you are very right. And here we are this morning

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1282669015794618373

Even if there’s a vaccine and/or political surprise (someone arrested from Obama administration), the damage he’s done may not matter.

His goal is to cause as much destruction as possible. A narcissist will burn the world down with him and it’s hard to argue he isn’t doing exactly that with the pandemic.

Hitler was still sending Troops to their death even tho everyone knew the war was over. Trump will do the same

This is an interesting profile on a current Democrat representative from quite a Republican-leaning district (in Michigan).
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/10/elissa-slotkin-congress-trump-351513
It shows the difficulties some representatives have in trying to win the election when the left wing of the party has very different priorities than what her constituents have. Plus, she warns about the picture that the current polls are showing.
Rather than rely on outside assessments, she bases every maneuver, every tactical decision, on what she’s seeing and hearing for herself. That means dismissing advice from the national party. That means distancing herself from nascent ideological demands on the left. That means, in the summer of 2020, with a torrent of polling fueling a narrative that Trump has fallen way behind in his campaign for a second term, warning Democrats not to trust what they’re being told.

[...]

Is her gripe that these snapshots—the polling, both public and private, that shows Republicans bleeding support across the board—are accurate in the present, yet subject to so much volatility in the future as to be worthless? Or does she believe the snapshots themselves are inaccurate here and now?

“I think they’re inaccurate,” she replies without hesitation. “Here’s the thing. When I started to run and I had to hire a pollster, I interviewed a bunch of different folks and I decided to do what we do sometimes at the Pentagon, which is to take a ‘bad cop’ approach to the interview. … It was five or six folks that I interviewed, and I said, ‘You got something wrong. You screwed up in 2016. What did you get wrong? And how are you going to fix it?”

Only one pollster, Slotkin says, admitted that he got it wrong. That was the person—Al Quinlan of GQR, a large Washington-based firm—she hired.

“He told me that they fundamentally undercounted the Trump vote; that the Trump voter is not a voter in every single election, that they come out for Trump, so they’re hard to count,” she explains. “On a survey, if someone says, ‘I’m not sure I’m going to vote,’ you don’t usually continue the conversation. And some of them didn’t have any desire to be on those poll calls; they didn’t have the 20 minutes to talk to somebody. They didn’t want to do it. And so, they were fundamentally undercounted.”

Slotkin, ever the intel analyst—identifying trends, compiling a report, presenting a conclusion—tells me, with a high degree of confidence, “I believe that same thing is happening right now.”

It may be a nerve-wrecking couple of months then.

"i hired the one guy that told me what i wanted to hear instead of the truth" is certainly a galaxy-brained strategy.

Last edited:
Some interesting poll stuff

GOP Gov. Doug Ducey approval rating: 35/63 in Arizona.

Was 59-37 just last month.

Also, Kanye is sending shockwaves through the race.

Biden 48
Trump 40

But add Kanye

Biden 48
Trump 39
West 2

So just wanted to get some thoughts from the thoughtful people here.

I know that these are just the videos that we've seen. But does anyone else here think it's strange and kind of depressing, that 90% of the videos that we see of someone in a store flipping out, screaming at people, threatening staff and customers, throwing things, coughing on people, spitting on people, calling people n#$%^rs, calling people slaves, telling people they will teach their grand kids to hate them, etc... are women?

I'm still thinking on this. Beginning to form an idea. :up:

This is an interesting profile on a current Democrat representative from quite a Republican-leaning district (in Michigan).
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/10/elissa-slotkin-congress-trump-351513
It shows the difficulties some representatives have in trying to win the election when the left wing of the party has very different priorities than what her constituents have. Plus, she warns about the picture that the current polls are showing.

It may be a nerve-wrecking couple of months then.

Yeah, I saw that on democratic undergeound yesterday.
:ohmy:

Hopefully this they are wrong! :(

Wait, you don't think the Senate majority leader would follow the Merrick Garland precedent and let people vote and decide?

Oh look at the poll numbers in Tex...

giphy.gif

Some serious Millionaires just asked to have their taxes seriously raised.
Courtesy of DU.

Raise taxes on people like us. Immediately. Substantially. Permanently.’

"SNIP.....

Over 80 men and women worth seven figures from the U.S., U.K., Germany, New Zealand, Canada and the Netherlands calling themselves the “Millionaires for Humanity” have signed an open letter asking their governments to “raise taxes on people like us. Immediately. Substantially. Permanently.”

“So please. Tax us. Tax us. Tax us. It is the right choice. It is the only choice.”

The signatories include Walt Disney Co. DIS, +2.09% heiress Abigail Disney, Ben & Jerry’s co-founder Jerry Greenfield, former BlackRock managing director Morris Pearl and “Love, Actually” director Richard Curtis.

Some, like Disney and Pearl, are also members of the “Patriotic Millionaires” club, a couple hundred ultra-wealthy Americans who have pushed to be taxed more to help close the wealth gap.

The “Millionaires for Humanity” note in their new letter that they are not driving ambulances, restocking supermarket shelves or delivering food as essential workers have been doing throughout the pandemic. “We owe a huge debt to the people working on the frontlines of this global battle,” the millionaires write. They add that 70% of health care workers are women, and most essential workers are “grossly underpaid” while putting themselves and their families at risk of contracting the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 every day.

......SNIP"

The Dali Llama talked about enlightened self interest. These multimillionaires can see that a Society has more fairness, and social safety net will have a better workforce, and areas and people who have been degraded in some form or fashion that when their lives are improved there's a certain vibrancy to the society that's in the air. Maybe some don't always want to live a totally gated in and removed from most of the rest of society.
It's thought imho. :)

this is just kanye doing crazy shit to get his name in the news right before his album comes out. he always does this with every album. he's not going to file any paperwork to be on ballots or hire real campaign staff or do anything else that actually costs money and effort. absolutely nobody should be taking this seriously.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/kany...-dropped-out-of-the-presidential-race-2707866

Outside of his presidential aspirations, West released a new single, entitled ‘Donda’, earlier this week (July 13).

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom