US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's having another Twitter meltdown? Is it a day that ends in Y?

SCOTUS ruled AGAINST Drumph's withholding Financial Records!!!!!!
7 - 2
:laugh:

(hopefully nothing else can get in the way of their release!)

:corn: :corn:

More nuance from DU
The info will go to the NYS (not NYSD) grand jury so public probably won't see it unless there's a trial.
The House might be able to supeana info
Tax issues unfortunately sent back down to lower courts

Last edited:
The Trump campaign does really stupid things every day. But as far as the election goes - the one thing that could actually help Trump is the debates. And what are they doing? They are talking about how horrible Biden will be. Trump team is Lowering expectations to the floor for their opponent. This is astoundingly moronic.
Which I guess fits the MO.

The Trump campaign does really stupid things every day. But as far as the election goes - the one thing that could actually help Trump is the debates. And what are they doing? They are talking about how horrible Biden will be. Trump team is Lowering expectations to the floor for their opponent. This is astoundingly moronic.
Which I guess fits the MO.
They're trying to lure Biden into doing the debate, because they don't want him to use the pandemic to get out of doing it.

Interesting polling coming out today.

NC - Biden +4
NC Senate - Cunningham +8! This is a really really big deal. Showing him creating a larger, consistent lead over the last month.

Aaaaaaaaand - Alaska! Trump is only up 3. in ALASKA - That he won by 15 in 2016

Would be really interested in a South Carolina poll...

The Black Lives Matter being written on streets on many cities just feels incredibly hollow since there's no defunding of the police or rent/eviction freezes coming along with them. It's all symbolic gestures, never anything that will actually impact peoples' lives.

The Black Lives Matter being written on streets on many cities just feels incredibly hollow since there's no defunding of the police or rent/eviction freezes coming along with them. It's all symbolic gestures, never anything that will actually impact peoples' lives.

it accomplishes absolutely nothing except to make liberals feel smug about annoying the president for like 30 seconds.

Last edited:
While I agree for the most part. I do think that the fact that these are being painted on the streets shows the shift in public sentiment. It in a way, furthers a pride that can be felt in Americans of every race. That public sentiment is the key to getting the change that is needed. You may not see it now, but if that feeling among voters translates into electing more progressive candidates, more candidates of color, getting majorities in local and state houses, and winning both Congress and Senate along with the white house, then that is when real change can happen.

And while it may annoy Trump for a minute. The other thing is that it spurs him into making comments like, painting this would be glorifying a hate group! Which further drives away suburbanites and indys.

it accomplishes absolutely nothing except to make liberals feel smug about annoying the president for like 30 seconds.

I think we can all enjoy a flex like this. And recognize that’s all it is.

The point womanfish makes is a good one — white liberals have changed totally on BLM, much in the way that white liberals changed their mind on SSM around 2010-12. And white liberals vote. SSM ceases to be any sort of a contentious issue after 2015, and its now settled law.

This is what gay people did for a decade. This is progress. This is changing hearts and minds, and expect legislation to follow. Keep the pressure on, but this is what democracy looks like.

The point womanfish makes is a good one — white liberals have changed totally on BLM, much in the way that white liberals changed their mind on SSM around 2010-12. And white liberals vote. SSM ceases to be any sort of a contentious issue after 2015, and its now settled law.

This is what gay people did for a decade. This is progress. This is changing hearts and minds, and expect legislation to follow. Keep the pressure on, but this is what democracy looks like.

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

Symbolism IS important.
And now we keep on working on changing attitudes and policy.

wf and Irving make good points.

And as a born and bred NYC'r who despised Drumph for a long time it gives me great joy to see BLM painted in front his 5th Ave Trump Tower!!!!! :lmao: :lmao:
The fact that it enrages him makes me glad. :up:

Last edited:
Gay marriage cost people nothing, at the end of the day. Defunding the police and addressing inequality in incomg/healthcare/housing, which greatly impacts black communities, is quite a larger leap for white liberals to make. White liberal politicians have always been willing to follow the culture on social issues. Issues that impact the economy are quite another thing. You can only do so much through sloganeering. Real change? I'll believe it when I see it. Color me very skeptical that much actually comes about from this with real impact.

It gives me great joy that Trump campaign has to spend money running ads in states like

GA, IA, MN, NV, NM, NC, OH

Gay marriage cost people nothing, at the end of the day. Defunding the police and addressing inequality in incomg/healthcare/housing, which greatly impacts black communities, is quite a larger leap for white liberals to make. White liberal politicians have always been willing to follow the culture on social issues. Issues that impact the economy are quite another thing. You can only do so much through sloganeering. Real change? I'll believe it when I see it. Color me very skeptical that much actually comes about from this with real impact.

Use your vote. That’s how things change in a democracy.

Hahahahaaaaa!

We have to be totally on guard etc but yes.....
Hahahahaaaaa!

Wouldn't NV be in bold, too? Or much less population in relationship to NM, MN ?

I just bolded those two because Biden is up like almost 15 points in both of those. The rest are probably single digits, but I'm guessing NV is getting closer to double digits by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom