US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #801
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I’m concerned the polls are meaningless if the election is tampered with.
This is why Biden desperately needs huge margins, everywhere.

The tightening in the polls doesn't really worry me regarding the ultimate (true) outcome, but it's incredibly concerning from the point of view that it's one thing to steal a close election and another to steal one where the other guy's actual lead and votes received are in the double digits.
__________________

anitram is offline  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #802
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 07:35 PM
A majority of swing stated don’t count mail ballots if they arrive after Election Day, despite having post mark before.

Reports are coming in from all over the country that mail is already falling behind. Vets not getting their meds, people not receiving paychecks on time.

Trump always tells us what he’s doing by accusing his opponent of doing the same thing
__________________

BEAL is offline  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
This is why Biden desperately needs huge margins, everywhere.

The tightening in the polls doesn't really worry me regarding the ultimate (true) outcome, but it's incredibly concerning from the point of view that it's one thing to steal a close election and another to steal one where the other guy's actual lead and votes received are in the double digits.
I think that we can definitely expect ANY state that Trump loses by less than 3 points to be held up in court for weeks or more. Right now that possible list is fairly long. NC, OH, FL, GA, AZ, (88 total Electoral Votes) and possibly TX and Alaska (another 41 Electoral Votes)
womanfish is offline  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #804
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
A majority of swing stated don’t count mail ballots if they arrive after Election Day, despite having post mark before.

Reports are coming in from all over the country that mail is already falling behind. Vets not getting their meds, people not receiving paychecks on time.

Trump always tells us what he’s doing by accusing his opponent of doing the same thing
I totally am infuriated by the Post Office thing. But I do think that for the most part early voting is now a long period in almost every state. That helps. Mail in ballots can be sent weeks in advance as well. 95% of those ballots will be traveling locally, so even if a 2 day trip is now 4 or 6, most should be ok.

The biggest trouble we will have are these states:

If a voter's mail-in ballot arrives after Election Day in the following states, it will not be accepted by officials: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Of these, WI and AZ probably scare me the most. But funny enough. My old home state of FL, could be savior here. HUGE amounts of people have been voting by mail in FL for years and years. I voted by mail every year, even though i didn't have to.
The system is longstanding and I think even the corrupt Gov. and Senator there want it to go smoothly, since they think that it could actually hurt Trump for it not to.
FL will also count ballots if they are postmarked by Election day.

I will be going in person in TN to vote for sure. I don't even trust the mailman with my ballot around here.
womanfish is offline  
Old 08-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #805
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,722
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
But funny enough. My old home state of FL, could be savior here. HUGE amounts of people have been voting by mail in FL for years and years. I voted by mail every year, even though i didn't have to.
The system is longstanding and I think even the corrupt Gov. and Senator there want it to go smoothly, since they think that it could actually hurt Trump for it not to.
FL will also count ballots if they are postmarked by Election day.
There was a story a while back about how Florida's getting a lot more registered Democrats, and then recently there was the whole thing of Trump trying to sue Nevada over its mail-in voting, but was okay with leaving Florida be.

If that leads to Florida going blue, I'm going to fucking laugh.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #806
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 03:35 PM
I see no reason to believe Trump is worried about his DeSantis or Kemp mail votes - a luxury he doesn’t have in Nevada.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 AM   #807
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I see no reason to believe Trump is worried about his DeSantis or Kemp mail votes - a luxury he doesn’t have in Nevada.
Yeah Nevada is safe territory. I also think that MI has their shit on lock with a good Sec of State and Governor that is going to making sure it will run well. Probably the biggest doubt that GA or TX will go blue are the governors and state legislatures there.
womanfish is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 02:18 AM   #808
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Woah!!
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #809
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Some polling starting to roll in.

National

A/B rated pollster - Biden +13

State

WI - Biden +6
PA - Biden +9
Mi - Biden +4
AZ - Biden +4

Expecting a lot of polls today through Wednesday or Thursday. Will be interesting to see how things shake out especially with some of the larger pollsters.
womanfish is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #810
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 07:35 PM
https://twitter.com/abcpolitics/stat...683599872?s=21

This was only three weeks ago.

I’m sure in another month Trump will display another shift and finally become presidential
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #811
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,469
Local Time: 03:35 PM
given the looting last night along the Magnificent Mile, this seems like an excellent opportunity for Biden/VP to call out the looters and distinguish them from the protestors, and condemn the looting and emphasize their position that there are real, tangible reasons for the police are for and why we should not defund them.

call out the bad guys in order to highlight the good guys, while at the same time vowing to protect law and order to put the suburbs at ease ... which will also put the inner cities at ease, as most people don't like it when stores are smashed up, regardless of race or income level.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...mpression=true

neutralize this. something like this is all Trump has left to make his case for re-election.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #812
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Launching a position that smells of anything less than “I’m on your side” is not a good move. Joe Biden’s best most is to ignore looters entirely, because taking a tone against them is immediately perceived as the same position as Trump - giving looters the platform ignores the fact that, “some, I assume, are good people.”
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #813
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,469
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Launching a position that smells of anything less than “I’m on your side” is not a good move. Joe Biden’s best most is to ignore looters entirely, because taking a tone against them is immediately perceived as the same position as Trump - giving looters the platform ignores the fact that, “some, I assume, are good people.”


Who’s side are we talking about?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #814
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 07:35 PM
https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/st...260175360?s=21

Life is about trade offs guys

These college kids should definitely risk their health to covid cause they kinda already are risking it with football! Brain injuries are so much worse than covid, which is nothing more than a flu to these finely tuned athletes.

Please don’t take my football away.
/sarcasm
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #815
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Who’s side are we talking about?


Obviously Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter. I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Signaling some “responsible” response is as stupid as Hillary Clinton going out there and apologizing stating not all Trump supporters are deplorables. Yes they are, the games of politics have changed, and that moment was a quintessential example of why she lost.

If Joe Biden goes out there and sounds off “these looters though...” he will immediately be perceived as not being in full support of Black Lives Matter because his tone and his rhetoric is apologetic and not firm.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #816
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Lol did Ben Sasse actually cite Justin Fields ans Trevor Lawrence? True voices of authority - how shameful.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #817
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 07:35 PM
https://twitter.com/thedailyshow/sta...453815296?s=21

They’ve done some funny clips lately
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #818
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,469
Local Time: 03:35 PM
US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Obviously Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter. I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Signaling some “responsible” response is as stupid as Hillary Clinton going out there and apologizing stating not all Trump supporters are deplorables. Yes they are, the games of politics have changed, and that moment was a quintessential example of why she lost.

If Joe Biden goes out there and sounds off “these looters though...” he will immediately be perceived as not being in full support of Black Lives Matter because his tone and his rhetoric is apologetic and not firm.


You’re equating the looters with BLM? What happened in Chicago was unconnected to any sort of protest, at least that Im aware of.

I think the right move is to do not that.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #819
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,455
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
You’re equating the looters with BLM? What happened in Chicago was unconnected to any sort of protest, at least that Im aware of.

I think the right move is to do not that.


You have an incredibly bad habit of twisting an argument to project some form of bad behavior on your target.

I’m not “equating” it to BLM. There is anti-police sentiment and a national debate over police reform, of which Donald Trump and Joe Biden are on two different sides. Or, should be. Do not bend my words. Do not simplify my words to be a convenient takedown for your argument.

Joe Biden has the responsibility of not sounding like he has a soft position on BLM. Donald Trump has a hard position on BLM, which equates ultimately to “Antifa are terrorists, all of these protesters are criminals and we should come down hard on them, and some, I assume, are good people. Real shame. We love our police!!!”

What’s going on in Chicago is not a national event. It’s a state event. The appropriate individuals at the city and state level have condemned all criminals. Joe Biden has no reason to project as “in support of law enforcement” right now. It’s foolish and it’s apologetic. He doesn’t need to make anything clear and does not need to make a play to the center to ensure anyone that he loves police. He needs to shut the fuck up and not say anything.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #820
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,232
Local Time: 07:35 PM
I used to also think that Biden should come out and make some bold statements about looting and how it should be stopped, and that it takes away from real protesters message, etc...

But I gotta side with Lucky on this one.
Maybe at the get go of the protests, but by now, people's views on this are locked in. And what we've found from polling is that a large majority of people support the protests, and people are hardly concerned at all about either looting or crime in general. It comes in about last among people's concerns right now. Also, Trump's manly LAW and ORDER, sending secret military police to Portland was viewed by over 2/3rds of people as making the problem worse, and the same number gave him a dissatisfied with his handling of the protests in general.

Biden piping in would just allow his words to be twisted around to make it sound like he is either anti-protester/BLM or anti-police. Neither of which is a win for him. Right now, Biden is viewed as being on the "right" side of all this, without saying a word.

He's gonna get these questions soon at the debate anyway. Hopefully it's well rehearsed.
__________________

womanfish is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×