US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #501
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,515
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
“Right of centre” ?
Not sure where you get that idea. Biden would be the farthest left of any President to take office.

I think progressives would be far better off highlighting and supporting Biden’s moves to the left on education, environment, criminal justice, child care, police reform, jobs plan and healthcare than jumping on his every perceived misstep. Or to continue to call him right of center or even a moderate at this point.


but how will i retain my sense of moral superiority if I can't dunk on a 77-year old man with a long history of verbal gaffs?





actually, i'd argue that Biden's relatively unsophisticated, 1970s white working class progressive views on racism is one of his electoral superpowers. it's way easier to understand.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #502
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 22,027
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Weren't you a Sanders supporter?
i would have preferred that sanders be the nominee in the sense that he was the only candidate with a chance who was proferring ideas that come even a little bit close to my own politics. if there had been a serious candidate further to the left of sanders i likely would have supported that person instead.

and i'm well aware that he would have had to make concessions to the center if he had become the nominee, i know a lot of what he was promising wouldn't be feasible right away - but having a president who publicly supported things like universal health care would have shifted the overton window to the left much more than having a president who supports expanding medicare (or whatever his stance is, too lazy to look it up right now) will. having a president trump has mainstreamed far-right ideas like building border walls and banning muslims and secret federal riot police - why wouldn't that work in the opposite direction?

my point with my last post is that we shouldn't consider campaign promises as solid evidence of where someone lies on the political spectrum. politicians will say and promise anything to get elected. it's cool that biden is releasing progressive policy promises but that doesn't mean biden is a progressive if he doesn't do a damn thing to enact those policies once he's elected.

i sincerely hope that the progressive wing of the party holds his feet to the fire and makes him follow through. but i'm skeptical that he'll actually have the will and political capital to be able to accomplish any of these things without them being watered-down compromises that cater to corporate america in the name of "bipartisanship".

i want really badly to be dead-ass wrong about biden and that he truly does become the most left-progressive president of modern times. his repeated statements about how the GOP is going to suddenly see the light, come to jesus and want to start working with D's again as soon as trump is gone gives me very little hope about that though.
__________________

DaveC is online now  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #503
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 22,027
Local Time: 10:58 PM
.
DaveC is online now  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #504
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I have to hand it to her, describing Trump as "selfless" is definitely exhibiting creative thinking.
anitram is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #505
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,515
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
.


oh, was going to respond, because i enjoyed (and respected) the clapback, but i'll let it go.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #506
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 22,027
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
oh, was going to respond, because i enjoyed (and respected) the clapback, but i'll let it go.
decided against it because it was approaching personal territory and i'd rather continue with the politics discussion than get into those weeds.
DaveC is online now  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #507
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,515
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Fair enough. Good point.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #508
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,253
Local Time: 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i would have preferred that sanders be the nominee in the sense that he was the only candidate with a chance who was proferring ideas that come even a little bit close to my own politics. if there had been a serious candidate further to the left of sanders i likely would have supported that person instead.

and i'm well aware that he would have had to make concessions to the center if he had become the nominee, i know a lot of what he was promising wouldn't be feasible right away - but having a president who publicly supported things like universal health care would have shifted the overton window to the left much more than having a president who supports expanding medicare (or whatever his stance is, too lazy to look it up right now) will. having a president trump has mainstreamed far-right ideas like building border walls and banning muslims and secret federal riot police - why wouldn't that work in the opposite direction?

my point with my last post is that we shouldn't consider campaign promises as solid evidence of where someone lies on the political spectrum. politicians will say and promise anything to get elected. it's cool that biden is releasing progressive policy promises but that doesn't mean biden is a progressive if he doesn't do a damn thing to enact those policies once he's elected.

i sincerely hope that the progressive wing of the party holds his feet to the fire and makes him follow through. but i'm skeptical that he'll actually have the will and political capital to be able to accomplish any of these things without them being watered-down compromises that cater to corporate america in the name of "bipartisanship".

i want really badly to be dead-ass wrong about biden and that he truly does become the most left-progressive president of modern times. his repeated statements about how the GOP is going to suddenly see the light, come to jesus and want to start working with D's again as soon as trump is gone gives me very little hope about that though.
Agreed on most here. I'm glad that Biden is using his current large lead to open the door to more progressive policies. Knowing that a lot of that lead comes from middle of the spectrum voters, I was thinking it was very possible he would go even more moderate to appease them.
But this election isn't about policy. So that helps a lot.

I admire Sanders for his lifelong work to bring more progressive issues into the mainstream. He's doing it in spades right now, and it's somewhat unnoticed because of all the fresh hell that's going on each day. But he and somewhat Warren have moved Biden considerably.

My hope is that we get the Senate and Biden pushes as much left leaning stuff as he can through the pipeline in the first two years. I too have my doubts on how it will pan out. But fingers are crossed.
womanfish is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #509
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,374
Local Time: 10:58 PM
The #1 goal of a Biden administration should be to stock the judiciary.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #510
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,548
Local Time: 03:58 AM
https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/sta...506178048?s=21

This is his only play left.

Try to project that carnage is a given under Biden, despite these images taking place with Trump in charge
BEAL is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #511
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,515
Local Time: 11:58 PM
He literally created the “American Carnage” of Steve Bannon’ sweat dreams that he said he would put an end to.

Also, in reality, it’s really not that bad. Crime is rising, yes, and we need to think about this when we think about the police, but it’s still way, way down compared to the 1990s, and most protests in most cities have subsided. Even PORTLAND was down to maybe 50 people a night.

It’s just to distract from COVID. As angry as these Putin-sequel “little green men” make me, the best thing to do is ignore them. Don’t give Trump the gasoline.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #512
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,253
Local Time: 03:58 AM
Further left we go...

NEW: The Democratic Party draft platform would take "regime change" operations in foreign countries off the table entirely.

The language marks a victory for the party's progressive wing—and another potential seismic shift in U.S. foreign policy.
womanfish is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #513
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I have to hand it to her, describing Trump as "selfless" is definitely exhibiting creative thinking.
Oh yes, he's a shining example of selflessness ! She's aboard the Trump train for selfish reasons. Remember the days when she actually criticized him?

These people will sell their souls at any price.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #514
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,253
Local Time: 03:58 AM
From a respected GOP pollster

https://twitter.com/EchelonInsights/...61545356185600

Biden leads Trump by 15 points in a direct match-up. , with 43% saying they would definitely vote for Biden. Only 31% saying they would definitely vote for Trump.

That's pretty crazy. To think that his definite voters are scratching at the 20's...
womanfish is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #515
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,253
Local Time: 03:58 AM
From Cook Political Report.

FLORIDA from Toss Up to Lean D
Missouri: Solid R to Likely R
Kansas: Solid R to Likely R
Indiana: Solid R to Likely R

Seeing Indiana move to Likely R... sheesh.
womanfish is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #516
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,253
Local Time: 03:58 AM
A couple new swing state polls

MICHIGAN
Biden 51% (+9)
Trump 42%

WISCONSIN
Biden 50% (+8)
Trump 42%

Also some beautiful Senate polls...

#AZsen:
Kelly (D) 51% (+9)
McSally (R-inc) 42%
.
#NCsen:
Cunningham (D) 48% (+8)
Tillis (R-inc) 40%
.
#MEsen:
Gideon (D) 47% (+5)
Collins (R-inc) 42%
womanfish is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #517
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Given the atrocious polling for incumbent Republican Senators, how long do we think this will be allowed to continue before McConnell starts profusely sweating about his position as Senate Majority Leader?
anitram is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #518
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,515
Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
From Cook Political Report.

FLORIDA from Toss Up to Lean D
Missouri: Solid R to Likely R
Kansas: Solid R to Likely R
Indiana: Solid R to Likely R

Seeing Indiana move to Likely R... sheesh.


I believe Obama won Indiana in 2008.

They’ve voted for Biden before.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #519
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,374
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Given the atrocious polling for incumbent Republican Senators, how long do we think this will be allowed to continue before McConnell starts profusely sweating about his position as Senate Majority Leader?
Hopefully come November he's sweating about staying minority leader.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 07-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #520
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,123
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Given the atrocious polling for incumbent Republican Senators, how long do we think this will be allowed to continue before McConnell starts profusely sweating about his position as Senate Majority Leader?
I think they truly believe that they’ll be able to suppress votes enough to win. Especially with the pandemic. And I’m not sure that they’re wrong.
__________________

mikal is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×