US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #441
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
All the early promising vaccines are likely not going to be fully effective and appear to require two doses. The probability of us producing 14 BILLION doses + administering them in short order is basically zero.

A global pandemic justifying the proliferation of vaccine blueprints globally seems like the only humane thing to do, and mutually beneficial. The govt should band together with the wealthiest of nations and buy out the winning company or some shit.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #442
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
All the early promising vaccines are likely not going to be fully effective and appear to require two doses. The probability of us producing 14 BILLION doses + administering them in short order is basically zero.

I’ve been told Jared is on it!!

Old 07-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #443
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So the national and some state polling has been a bit crazy lately. Of course there will be fluctuations, and with Biden having one of the largest leads at this point in recent history, it is only rational to think that the polls will tighten as we go.

So we see the average starting to tighten. Biden from +9.5 to now about +7.8. While still a very large lead, its tightening nonetheless.

But a closer look shows that it really is just one pollster that is responsible for the majority of this tightening. The normally right leaning Rasmussen has seemingly gone much farther in that direction.

If you take Rasmussen out of the last week of national polling, Biden is at +9ish.
Which has been his lead since June 1st.
But Rasmussen has put out two polls in the last week with Biden +2 and Biden +3

The average approval/disapproval for Trump without Rasmussen is about 17-18 disapproval. Rasmussen has him tied at 49 approve, 49 disapprove.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

https://youtu.be/GiretpoRICY

Representative Ocasio-Cortez responds to Yoho's non apology on the House floor. Bravo
Old 07-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #445
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
yes let's not discuss the campaign statements of a major candidate for president of the united states in the US politics thread lest we get distracted.
Of course campaign statements can be discussed here. And I think it was more a political statement by Biden to show how extreme Trump is than an actual misstatement. Because yes, there have been other US presidents that were very racist. And Biden likely knows this as well. But that does not make Trump's racism normal.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #446
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Of course campaign statements can be discussed here. And I think it was more a political statement by Biden to show how extreme Trump is than an actual misstatement. Because yes, there have been other US presidents that were very racist. And Biden likely knows this as well. But that does not make Trump's racism normal.
I agree. I do think this was a kind of a stupid statement. I think he was trying to make a point that Trump is the most vocal, unapologetic racist in our modern history. Was Nixon a racist. Yeah, I would say so. In the same way as Trump? No. So Biden would have been better off saying that Trump is the only modern president that has so brazenly and outwardly used race to divide the American people, and to put forward both policies and actions that make people of color suffer more than they have already had to endure.

That said, I think the push back here comes more from the viewpoint that when we have a white nationalist in office, currently deploying paramilitary troops to beat and round up protesters, that talking about how bad Andrew Jackson was 200 years ago doesn't really matter right now. And to jump on Biden for a statement that didn't focus on them, is walking that line of the false equivalence nonsense of 2016 that still is bitterly held by Democrats.

We get enough of it from the media. Trump has one day of wearing a mask, he's a hero. He has one day of making a Covid statement read directly from notes and he has changed his tone and is serious! Even while wishing a child sex trafficer all the best.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #447
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 PM
I find this line of reasoning that "Trump exists therefore Biden should be immune to criticism" to be really bizarre TBH. No one has forgotten that Trump is in office because of the quote Dave posted.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
it was a profoundly stupid thing to say. and it wasn't a misstated word or a simple slip of the tongue, he went for several sentences on this. i agree 100% that there is a decent point in there about *modern* presidents and their actions in office, but either it was horrifically written or biden fumbled the delivery badly.

people in this thread can put their fingers in their ears and cry "distraction! non-event!" all they want, and they are right to a point, but these kind of things feed very easily into the fox news/facebook narrative that biden isn't fit for office. it's not likely to make anyone vote for trump who wasn't going to already, but the right is pushing this whole "biden is senile" narrative so hard because potential voters are more likely to just stay home if they think that both candidates have oatmeal for brains. they did the same thing to clinton last time with the "fainting" video and it worked. the entire GOP campaign this time around is going to be about making sure turnout is as abysmal as possible and biden making this kind of dumb statement is like shit for horseflies.

this was an easily-avoidable own goal. he (and his speechwriters) needs to be a lot more careful about mistakes like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #449
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

this was an easily-avoidable own goal. he (and his speechwriters) needs to be a lot more careful about mistakes like this.
I agree, they need to be clear about their statements so they don't give either any fuel to the opponent or any reason for apathetic voters who are thinking of voting Biden just to oust Trump to change their minds and either stay home or vote 3rd party.

We've seen too many times how one bad soundbite can torpedo a campaign in recent history. And Trump's people are just waiting for that soundbite.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #450
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The saddest part of all is that’s what our politics and country have come down to

People make their decision not based on policy or the good of the nation

It’s who says the least stupid thing.

Or emails

Or he’s the kinda guy i can have a beer with

Idiocracy
Old 07-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Totally agree.

A good % of the population (and no, not just the lunatics) believe that both candidates are senile at best and suffering from significant dementia at worst.

Contributing to this belief is not a productive way to get votes.

Is it unfair that Biden has to worry about saying something like this while his opponent wishes Ghislaine Maxwell well? Of course not, but we have the reality we have, not the one we wish we had.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #452
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
it's my own mistake. i shouldn't have posted something off-topic in the Orange Man Bad Thread.

Whereby the horseshoe theory fits again like a glove ... even the same terminology.

If you have something substantive, like policy or strategy, beyond “old man yells at cloud,” I won’t object.

But he misspoke. That’s it. What else is there to say?
Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #453
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I find this line of reasoning that "Trump exists therefore Biden should be immune to criticism" to be really bizarre TBH. No one has forgotten that Trump is in office because of the quote Dave posted.

Stop. No one is saying Biden is above criticism. He is above what is presently masquerading as a criticism.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #454
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Whereby the horseshoe theory fits again like a glove ... even the same terminology.

If you have something substantive, like policy or strategy, beyond “old man yells at cloud,” I won’t object.
death, taxes, and irvine smugly condescending to anyone to the left of him.

my apologies for not deferring to your rules as the Gatekeeper of the Thread before posting.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

Vote Biden 2020
Complain about him the whole way there

We can marry these concepts
Old 07-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #456
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
death, taxes, and irvine smugly condescending to anyone to the left of him.

my apologies for not deferring to your rules as the Gatekeeper of the Thread before posting.

I’m not the gatekeeper. Post anything you want.

I will respond, or not, if I want, and you can respond back. That’s how it works, I think.

I don’t feel these powers attributed to me. Not in the slightest.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #457
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Vote Biden 2020
Complain about him the whole way there

We can marry these concepts

That’s what happened in 2016. Look where we are.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #458
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder if Geraldo ever went to the island..Maybe Trump should just offer Ghoulaine a job at the WH. Is Chief Of Scum a thing?

Geraldo Rivera Calls Donald Trump “Brave” For Ghislaine Maxwell Well Wishes, Says Alleged Procurer’s Detention Is “Woke Politics”
Greg Evans
July 22, 2020, 12:02 PM

Fox News’ Geraldo Rivera says President Donald Trump was “brave” to offer well wishes to accused sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell. And Rivera didn’t stop there, saying the pre-trial detention of Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged procurer of underage girls is just “woke politics.”

In a soon-to-trend tweet this morning, Rivera wrote, “When asked @realDonaldTrump
said he wished #GhislaineMaxwellArrested well. With media mob eager to see her lynched it was brave to weigh in. Fact: cases vs her are for crimes allegedly committed more than 25 years ago. She deserved bail & got solitary confinement: woke politics.”
Old 07-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

You really have to ask yourself what the backstory is with Geraldo. Why would anyone in their right mind white knight for this brazen criminal? Like, that's the hill he wants to die on?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #460
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
yes let's not discuss the campaign statements of a major candidate for president of the united states in the US politics thread lest we get distracted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Exactly. We shouldn’t elevate non-stories into stories because it gives us a chance to virtue flex.

This wasn’t a “campaign statement” either.

Consider this, DAVE and Irving:
perhaps; now, I've read nothing but the headline yet - I had to cut down from my news following Trump & Co non/actions by 30% since Tues because I was getting really emotionally ragged (serious ) -

...Biden is saying Drumph is the first modern way more dog whistling, to occasional straight out comments, to full on train siren we've had in modern times.

Reagan while invoking "States Rights" () I'd have gotten had I'd been listeningbut I wasn't paying much attention to him at first campaigning - but the Philadelphia, Miss location of his rally would've been super ultra-high frequency (!); totally over my head. I was a few years too young to have known about that and even afterwards (too young to be watching the news regularly). It's where the 3 Civil Rights were slaughtered.
Nixon usually kept his racism, and anti-Semitism under cover. Only when the tapes came out...

The Bushes soft peddled their words, anyway (vs some policies). Clinton was mixed.

Think about it...