US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He literally created the “American Carnage” of Steve Bannon’ sweat dreams that he said he would put an end to.

Also, in reality, it’s really not that bad. Crime is rising, yes, and we need to think about this when we think about the police, but it’s still way, way down compared to the 1990s, and most protests in most cities have subsided. Even PORTLAND was down to maybe 50 people a night.

It’s just to distract from COVID. As angry as these Putin-sequel “little green men” make me, the best thing to do is ignore them. Don’t give Trump the gasoline.

Further left we go...

NEW: The Democratic Party draft platform would take "regime change" operations in foreign countries off the table entirely.

The language marks a victory for the party's progressive wing—and another potential seismic shift in U.S. foreign policy.

I have to hand it to her, describing Trump as "selfless" is definitely exhibiting creative thinking.

Oh yes, he's a shining example of selflessness ! She's aboard the Trump train for selfish reasons. Remember the days when she actually criticized him?

These people will sell their souls at any price.

From Cook Political Report.

FLORIDA from Toss Up to Lean D
Missouri: Solid R to Likely R
Kansas: Solid R to Likely R
Indiana: Solid R to Likely R

Seeing Indiana move to Likely R... sheesh.

A couple new swing state polls

MICHIGAN
Biden 51% (+9)
Trump 42%

WISCONSIN
Biden 50% (+8)
Trump 42%

Also some beautiful Senate polls...

#AZsen:
Kelly (D) 51% (+9)
McSally (R-inc) 42%
#NCsen:
Cunningham (D) 48% (+8)
Tillis (R-inc) 40%
#MEsen:
Gideon (D) 47% (+5)
Collins (R-inc) 42%

Given the atrocious polling for incumbent Republican Senators, how long do we think this will be allowed to continue before McConnell starts profusely sweating about his position as Senate Majority Leader?

From Cook Political Report.

FLORIDA from Toss Up to Lean D
Missouri: Solid R to Likely R
Kansas: Solid R to Likely R
Indiana: Solid R to Likely R

Seeing Indiana move to Likely R... sheesh.

I believe Obama won Indiana in 2008.

They’ve voted for Biden before.

Given the atrocious polling for incumbent Republican Senators, how long do we think this will be allowed to continue before McConnell starts profusely sweating about his position as Senate Majority Leader?

I think they truly believe that they’ll be able to suppress votes enough to win. Especially with the pandemic. And I’m not sure that they’re wrong.

joe biden is right of centre on every political spectrum that isn't "mainstream american politicians" only.

he only seems left because most of your politicians are even further right than he is. american politics as a whole is profoundly conservative.

there's a reason the entire mainstream establishment panicked en masse and started colluding the instant it looked like the guy who was promoting insane ideas like healthcare for everyone and sensible gun control might have a shot at winning something.

also, FDR says hello to the idea of biden being "the farthest left of any President to take office".

Biden would be a perfect fit for the moderate wing of our Liberals here. Though there is a noticeable overlap between the right faction of the Labor party with the Liberal moderates so he'd probably fit there too.

Joe Biden reminds me of David Cameron with pitchfork to his neck.

He might be classically center right, but in fairness he is tiptoeing left if only because he doesn’t wanna be on the right right now.

I was going to say that Biden being the most progressive US president in the last half century or so would be like saying David Cameron was the most progressive leader of the Tories.

i would have preferred that sanders be the nominee in the sense that he was the only candidate with a chance who was proferring ideas that come even a little bit close to my own politics. if there had been a serious candidate further to the left of sanders i likely would have supported that person instead.

and i'm well aware that he would have had to make concessions to the center if he had become the nominee, i know a lot of what he was promising wouldn't be feasible right away - but having a president who publicly supported things like universal health care would have shifted the overton window to the left much more than having a president who supports expanding medicare (or whatever his stance is, too lazy to look it up right now) will. having a president trump has mainstreamed far-right ideas like building border walls and banning muslims and secret federal riot police - why wouldn't that work in the opposite direction?

my point with my last post is that we shouldn't consider campaign promises as solid evidence of where someone lies on the political spectrum. politicians will say and promise anything to get elected. it's cool that biden is releasing progressive policy promises but that doesn't mean biden is a progressive if he doesn't do a damn thing to enact those policies once he's elected.

i sincerely hope that the progressive wing of the party holds his feet to the fire and makes him follow through. but i'm skeptical that he'll actually have the will and political capital to be able to accomplish any of these things without them being watered-down compromises that cater to corporate america in the name of "bipartisanship".

i want really badly to be dead-ass wrong about biden and that he truly does become the most left-progressive president of modern times. his repeated statements about how the GOP is going to suddenly see the light, come to jesus and want to start working with D's again as soon as trump is gone gives me very little hope about that though.

Reminds me of Keir Starmer's victory in the UK Labour leadership election ~4-5 months ago, he ran on a platform of unity whilst professing to retain many of the leftist program of his predecessor. In practice he has agreed with the government regularly (main disputes being regarding execution) and abandoned his campaign promises whilst trying to smash the left in his own party.

Further left we go...

NEW: The Democratic Party draft platform would take "regime change" operations in foreign countries off the table entirely.

The language marks a victory for the party's progressive wing—and another potential seismic shift in U.S. foreign policy.

That would be good - but it's still unfathomable to me. It's much easier to imagine having to deal with a US that still persists with regime change operations than with a US that doesn't.

This is very well done:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/10...-government.html?referringSource=articleShare

According to a good friend (a Navy vet, btw) it’s peaceful all night until 11:30/45 and the feds walk out and start indiscriminately tear gassing people and hurling flash bangs. It’s not entirely unprovoked, but the response is wildly disproportionate.

The feds are there to do one thing: create useable footage for Trump’s re-election campaign.

Confirm satire.

But not one of us would have doubted it being true.

Confirm satire.

But not one of us would have doubted it being true.

I had my doubts, but not because of the lineup, but because it would have meant that Trump/GOP would have actually had some sort of plan for their convention.

It's interesting. I think that one thing that will be a big factor in the election, will be the loss of support of doctors, nurses and teachers. While I'm sure they were not his biggest supporters before, I can only imagine that the percentage of support from them has dropped off a cliff.

And how many are there? In total about 8.6 million.

While schools will be opening soon. I have a question that I haven't seen anyone address.

For companies, at least i know the one that i work for, if someone tests positive in that building, it has to be shut down, or at least partially shut down and be sanitized, for two weeks, before opening again.

So when, not if, a person tests positive in a school, what happens? Are these rules out the window?

Looks like the "polls tightening" was a bit premature. What we are seeing in polling over the last 12 days is a solid 10+ point lead for Biden without the Rasmussen outliers being included. Rasmussen thrown in and you get 9.0.

These out so far today:

JUL 21-23, 2020
Harris Poll
Biden - 55%
Trump - 45%
Biden +10

JUL 16-20, 2020
AP-NORC
Biden - 46%
Trump - 34%
Biden +12

JUL 14-19, 2020
Kaiser Family Foundation
Biden - 47%
Trump - 38%
Biden +9

From Nate Cohn:
we've got another week in the books where Biden is maintaining a commanding lead without really any serious evidence to the contrary. We haven't seen a lead so large last for so long since you were upgrading to Windows 95

Rumor floated by Bill Kristal that Trump drops Pence as VP just before Dems virtual convention.

If so a lot of people think Niki Haley is your next person Trump destroys

He literally created the “American Carnage” of Steve Bannon’ sweat dreams that he said he would put an end to.

Also, in reality, it’s really not that bad. Crime is rising, yes, and we need to think about this when we think about the police, but it’s still way, way down compared to the 1990s, and most protests in most cities have subsided. Even PORTLAND was down to maybe 50 people a night.

It’s just to distract from COVID. As angry as these Putin-sequel “little green men” make me, the best thing to do is ignore them. Don’t give Trump the gasoline.

Been quite physically stressed out past 4 days... esp Fri, Sat so lost track, barely glimpses if, and couldn't cope with news anymore.

Protests, (and provacatours), and unmarked Feds not as bad? I'd still be very concerned about the "lgm" . Even while knowing it's partially a cv19 distraction. You don't think they're a dangerous trend any more. If I'm misunderstanding you, apologies.

Further left we go...

Interesting.

This is very well done:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/10...-government.html?referringSource=articleShare

According to a good friend (a Navy vet, btw) it’s peaceful all night until 11:30/45 and the feds walk out and start indiscriminately tear gassing people and hurling flash bangs. It’s not entirely unprovoked, but the response is wildly disproportionate.

The feds are there to do one thing: create useable footage for Trump’s re-election campaign.
Thanks to your friend for the info ... I'd sure hope so.

Wonder/what about Chicago? They seem to be holding off on NYC for now.

Anyone seen Pence lately? Has he got the COVID?
I heard he was supposed to attend John Lewis DC memorial today.
Which by the way was deeply moving as the motorcade slowed down, or stopped by significant places in DC before the arrival at the Capitol ceremony.

Later after 6pm his casket will be brought out to the back of The Capitol so the Public can pay respects as well. Good.

(-sigh- I miss visiting DC (travel $ issue pre-cv19 ). So watching the procession on the streets of DC it self was beautiful)

Last edited:
Ceremony for John Lewis today was so beautiful. Trump has no plans to pay respects.

The first African American member of Congress to lie in state in the Capitol rotunda, and our "President" won't even show him proper respect.

Trump isn't worthy, John Lewis was a million times better man than Trump will ever be. Maybe his family didn't want Trump there.

I didn't see Pence there either. Even Melania couldn't show up, she was busy announcing plans to renovate the Rose Garden :rolleyes:

Ceremony for John Lewis today was so beautiful. Trump has no plans to pay respects.

The first African American member of Congress to lie in state in the Capitol rotunda, and our "President" won't even show him proper respect.

Trump isn't worthy, John Lewis was a million times better man than Trump will ever be. Maybe his family didn't want Trump there.

I didn't see Pence there either. Even Melania couldn't show up, she was busy announcing plans to renovate the Rose Garden :rolleyes:

Trump leading by example. Rest of the "good people" of the KKK are proud I'm sure.

Rumor floated by Bill Kristal that Trump drops Pence as VP just before Dems virtual convention.

If so a lot of people think Niki Haley is your next person Trump destroys

She would a fucking idiot to accept that offer. As of now, she has a legitimate shot in 2024 at the big prize. Jumping onto a sinking ship, that is on fire, to be the VP... I don't think so. Even if she is just the on the ticket, that will stick with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom