US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a big deal. i'd forgotten what good news feels like. maybe we can have nice things?

that's right. Gorsuch wrote the 6-3 majority opinion that you can't fire someone for being gay.

racking my brain, but i'm not sure where else it is legally possible to discriminate against LGBTQ+ people. this could be total legal equality? in many ways, this is more important than marriage. i suppose there could be a federal Equality Act, and Conversion Therapy is still out there.

this is, however, what real change looks like. the Overton window was moved in 2003 in Massachusetts when the first same-sex marriages, and then the real work began.

the people who voted for Trump solely on the basis of SCOTUS must be banging their heads against the wall this morning.

and since SCOTUS is totally politicized, i think they (and especially John Roberts) have read the tea leaves: anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, whether religiously motivated or not, has been relegated to the basket of deplorables, alongside racism, anti-semitism, and sexist. all will continue to exist, gay people will still be beaten in the streets, but at least it won't be reflected in our laws.

intereference played a big part in my understanding of my life as a gay man, insofar as here is where i came to write down my political thoughts, and share some of my life, because the relative anonymity allowed me to do so. this was a very different place in 2003/4, America (and the western world) was a different place in 2003/4, and there were people who were seemingly well meaning ("civil unions should be fine") to the clearly discriminatory ("it's against the Bible") to those feigning concern as a way to wrap their bigotry in something seemingly kinder ("I just think all children need a mother and a father.") here was where i sharpened my arguments, was forced to do more research on the fly, and think and write, and think and write some more.

it almost feels like this is the end of a road. i can't force anyone to like me. if your book and your sky friend think i'm going to hell, well, that's fine, but you really can't do anything about it legally.

this is how it happens.

Just spoke to one of my good friends in Florida. In his late 50's, evangelical Christian. He has a trans child. He voted for Trump. He has been not liking him for a while, really didn't like the Church photo-op. But he said what got him was this past week, and Trump admin stripping rights from LGBTQ's. He's done with him.

Just spoke to one of my good friends in Florida. In his late 50's, evangelical Christian. He has a trans child. He voted for Trump. He has been not liking him for a while, really didn't like the Church photo-op. But he said what got him was this past week, and Trump admin stripping rights from LGBTQ's. He's done with him.

it's one of the ways in which being LGBTQ+ is unique. you can segregate yourself based on race, or class, or religion, or whatever. but gay/trans kids are going to pop up in your family, no matter your race, religion, income, location, nationality, etc. we exist, and always have.

it's one of the ways in which being LGBTQ+ is unique. you can segregate yourself based on race, or class, or religion, or whatever. but gay/trans kids are going to pop up in your family, no matter your race, religion, income, location, nationality, etc. we exist, and always have.

Yep, hard to ignore and/or hate something when its your kid. My father in law had to come to terms with one of his sons being gay, though in a largely unspoken way, but it was a big change for him, we used to refer to him as "the Italian Archie Bunker", so you can imagine his prior viewpoint on things.

It feels like the Supreme Court read the room of the country and said this isn’t worth the backlash that would happen. Talk about taking to the street had they gone the other way

My cynical side thinks the conservatives on the SC feel you gotta give the other side a win once and a while to keep the opposition held at bay.

Let’s not forget that Roberts basically claimed racism was over with the Voting Rights Act strike down.

And we’ll see what they say in regards to Trumps taxes, and what happens come election time if there is a close result and claims of voter fraud.

But overall it’s nice to have the court be on the right side of humanity for once

this is a big deal. i'd forgotten what good news feels like. maybe we can have nice things?

that's right. Gorsuch wrote the 6-3 majority opinion that you can't fire someone for being gay.

Good day for human rights and justice.

Also notable is that John Roberts joined Gorsuch in penning the opinion - this was the big surprise actually because he was extremely hostile to the plaintiffs during oral arguments and the consensus view was that it would be a 5-4 decision and the 5th vote (either way) would be Gorsuch.

I'm sure they're both getting raked over the coals in Trumpland

Hilarious. In the first 10 days after Trump announced the Tulsa rally, Parscale came out and said - 200,000 tickets have been requested. 2 day later (yesterday) = 800,000! Now one day later - 1 Million!!!

Soon - 1 beeeeeellion tickets

6e5ec745b2335d82ab37b3ccc0c95ce604d4e087.jpg

Hilarious. In the first 10 days after Trump announced the Tulsa rally, Parscale came out and said - 200,000 tickets have been requested. 2 day later (yesterday) = 800,000! Now one day later - 1 Million!!!

It's only applications by black people they don't have enough of. Though you can always try to hire them to cheer for you...

new poll out today has biden within the margin of error in arkansas.

And the pollster is rated a B/C by 538, so not a completely shitty pollster.

I believe that he also was only up +4 in Kansas from a poll yesterday, but the pollster was a D+

Either way. There is some hard shifting going on across the country.

National polls out today

JUN 11-13, 2020
B/C
RMG Research
1,200 RV Biden
48%
36%
Trump Biden +12

JUN 11-13, 2020
Abacus Data
1,004 LV Biden
51%
41%
Trump Biden +10 (Likely Voters)

JUN 11-13, 2020
Abacus Data
1,224 RV Biden
49%
35%
Trump Biden +14 (Registered Voters)

I'm sooo glad some righteous folk at the US SK embassy did this, and documented for all to see! :lol:

there are still DACA and abortion SCOTUS decisions to come. today is nice, but the news could get very bad, very quick.
Yeah, it likely will :sad:

Until then let's celebrate this Serious Win!
:happy: :happy: :happy:

I'm So Happy for the LGBTQI community in general and my past/present friends, aquaintences, co-workers, and bosses!

Last edited:

Wow.

Hoo-fucking-ray to that SC decision :)! That was a nice headline to see upon getting online. I'd like to hope they'll continue to be more supportive with the other issues mentioned, but yeah, not holding my breath :|. Still, nice to get some genuinely positive news.

And Irvine, excellent post :up:.

Another national poll came in today on 538.

If you average the polls from the 4 pollsters today, Biden is averaging +10.5
Average of all the polls taken in the last week (27) - Biden +9.7

This is all from 538. RealClearPolitics has a lot fewer polls. But if you take the 4 polls they have on their site from the last week, they average Biden +9.8

I like that they are thinking this way.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/trump-glide-reelection-republican-officials-316457

“The more bad things happen in the country, it just solidifies support for Trump,” said Phillip Stephens, GOP chairman in Robeson County, N.C., one of several rural counties in that swing state that shifted from supporting Barack Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016. “We’re calling him ‘Teflon Trump.’ Nothing’s going to stick, because if anything, it’s getting more exciting than it was in 2016.”

This year, Stephens said, “We’re thinking landslide.”

I like that they are thinking this way.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/trump-glide-reelection-republican-officials-316457

“The more bad things happen in the country, it just solidifies support for Trump,” said Phillip Stephens, GOP chairman in Robeson County, N.C., one of several rural counties in that swing state that shifted from supporting Barack Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016. “We’re calling him ‘Teflon Trump.’ Nothing’s going to stick, because if anything, it’s getting more exciting than it was in 2016.”

This year, Stephens said, “We’re thinking landslide.”
That he went with Teflon Trump just shows how dumb this guy is.

So Trump is shooting himself in the foot again later today.

Instead of getting a real bill passed through and signed on police reform, Trump is grandstanding and putting through a phony executive order.
I guess they put it together by "talking to law enforcement agencies" :doh:

Word is that it is a lot of suggestions, nothing concrete on anything. Nothing about racial problems, nothing specific on use of force, just a whole lot of nothing.

So to recap. This will give his racist 36% base something to throw around on social media, saying that he has done more for police reform than any president in history, but it will be a laughable slap in the face to the millions of people that are out in the streets, and the millions of Americans that actually want to see real change happen.

I don't think this will be the positive thing he's thinking it will be.

So Trump is shooting himself in the foot again later today.

Instead of getting a real bill passed through and signed on police reform, Trump is grandstanding and putting through a phony executive order.
I guess they put it together by "talking to law enforcement agencies" :doh:

Word is that it is a lot of suggestions, nothing concrete on anything. Nothing about racial problems, nothing specific on use of force, just a whole lot of nothing.

So to recap. This will give his racist 36% base something to throw around on social media, saying that he has done more for police reform than any president in history, but it will be a laughable slap in the face to the millions of people that are out in the streets, and the millions of Americans that actually want to see real change happen.

I don't think this will be the positive thing he's thinking it will be.

I was talking with a friend yesterday who is a police officer. Horrible guy because remember, they're ALL horrible. But he said that there's a lot of nervousness around what Trump is going to say and that overall there's a lot of nervousness around the country's leadership going around the office from what he said is a pretty Pro-Trump crew. Just an overall feeling of lack of concrete policies or direction on how this will be resolved.

Some high quality state polls out so far this morning:

New Mexico: Trump vs. Biden PPP (D) Biden 53, Trump 39 Biden +14

Michigan: Trump vs. Biden EPIC-MRA Biden 55, Trump 39 Biden +16

Ariz.
JUN 13-15, 2020 Civiqs
Biden 49%
Trump 45%

Mich.
JUN 9-12, 2020
TIPP
Biden 51%
Trump 38%

FLORIDA
JUN 9-11, 2020
TIPP
Biden 51%
Trump 40%

Dear Trump. MI has left the building. Average of polls from Michigan over the last 9 days - Biden +14

That FL number from a good pollster. WOW. Average of polls from FL over the last 2 weeks - Biden +7

Looks like Biden is locking up a +4 lead in AZ.

Trump under 40% on some of these should have them shitting a bit. This is going to send Trump through the roooof. :lol::D

Last edited:
You never want to be sure too early in the game but the consensus seems to be moving in the direction of Michigan no longer being a battleground state. Trump has a million different problems there and my gut feeling tells me he's cooked in that state.

I don't trust Florida for one second to do the right thing so in my view they are deep red until proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom