US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So from all accounts, it seems as though Pompeo and Cotton are trying to line themselves up for a 2024 run. The great thing about this is, as Trump is imploding from being... Trump. These two clowns are vying to attract the same base of support. Now in the high 30% range. And doing it without the same charisma or sociopathic charm that Trump has. Hilarious.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1271235503564771328

Also what could be making Trumptown shit their pants.
Looking at Right Track/Wrong Track polls over the last 6 months.

Up until March - Wrong Track +15
By end of April - Wrong Track +25
By end of May - Wrong Track +30
Now - Wrong Track +40

WASHINGTON (AP) — Joe Biden’s search for a running mate is entering a second round of vetting for a dwindling list of potential vice presidential nominees, with several black women in strong contention.

Democrats with knowledge of the process said Biden’s search committee has narrowed the choices to as few as six serious contenders after initial interviews. Those still in contention include Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kamala Harris of California, as well as Susan Rice, who served as President Barack Obama’s national security adviser.

The process remains somewhat fluid, according to those with knowledge, and additional candidates may still be asked to submit to the extensive document review process now underway for top contenders. Those familiar with Biden’s search spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the process.

Biden, who has already said he will pick a woman as his running mate, is facing increased calls from Democrats to put a woman of color on the ticket — both because of the outsize role that black voters played in Biden’s road to the nomination and because of the reckoning over racism and inequality roiling the nation following the death of George Floyd. The black Minneapolis man died after a white police officer pressed his knee on his neck for several minutes, an episode that was captured on video.

Terry McAuliffe, the former Virginia governor and former Democratic National Committee chairman, said that while Biden’s choice was likely to be “all about personal chemistry,” it would be “exciting for the party” to have a black woman on a major party presidential ticket for the first time.

The campaign’s short list includes several black women, including Harris and Rice. Advisers have also looked closely at Florida Rep. Val Demings and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, both of whom are black, and New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, a Latina.

Biden’s vetting committee had conversations with a larger group of women earlier this spring; those continuing on in the process have been asked to turn over financial records, past writings and other documentation. Biden has had various public and private interactions with many of the women his vetting committee has considered thus far, but has not yet had any formal one-on-one interviews expressly to discuss the No. 2 spot on the ticket. Those aren’t expected for several weeks.

https://apnews.com/cfb9f51767aeee83f1f426fb42070a9e

i just can't see Rice, i've never found her all that compelling, but that's just me. unless maybe people are thinking she's Stealth Obama?

i'd say it's between Harris and Warren with Demings the dark horse.

Harris v Warren is a very interesting choice. can make lots of arguments in either direction. for me, these should be the top two because they are both qualified to be president from Day 1 -- which i always took to be the #1 quality one should look for in a VP, although that has since been tossed aside in recent years. although it should be noted that everyone in this article is more prepared than a real estate developer from Queens.

not seeing Abrams anywhere in this article.

i just can't see Rice, i've never found her all that compelling, but that's just me. unless maybe people are thinking she's Stealth Obama?

Harris v Warren is a very interesting choice. can make lots of arguments in either direction. for me, these should be the top two because they are both qualified to be president from Day 1 -- which i always took to be the #1 quality one should look for in a VP, although that has since been tossed aside in recent years. although it should be noted that everyone in this article is more prepared than a real estate developer from Queens.

Pretty surprised at no mention of Abrams. And sort of surprised at Warren still being in the running. I just can't see it not being an African American at this point. And totally agree that Rice, while smart, has never been elected to office, is pretty low key, and brings baggage of being in a prior administration. I think, if Stacey is out, then it has to be Harris or Demings.

Pretty surprised at no mention of Abrams. And sort of surprised at Warren still being in the running. I just can't see it not being an African American at this point. And totally agree that Rice, while smart, has never been elected to office, is pretty low key, and brings baggage of being in a prior administration. I think, if Stacey is out, then it has to be Harris or Demings.

But if it is Rice, we’ll have 157 more Benghazi hearings to look forward to.

I thought it was unofficially confirmed that Abrams is out of the running on some sort of theory that she tried too hard to get it.

For the reasons above and the fact that Joe Biden is in my view senile (yes, I know we're not allowed to say that but just because the other guy, who has far more advanced dementia, will use it against Biden doesn't make it any less true) and I don't believe for a second that he'll be in shape to run for a second term, if he finishes the first one - Val Demings IMO is a non-starter. We are living in very challenging times on a global scale - the pandemic, Russia's sphere of influence and their open warfare on democratic elections, the Chinese government and potential for unrest, the continuing clusterfuck in the Middle East - I don't think that we can gamble on someone with very little experience.

The smart money is probably on Harris - the big question there is what their internal polling tells them about how the progressive wing will vote and whether a very centrist Harris with her AG history has the potential to depress turnout. Honestly I think that's the only reason that Warren is still in the running. I've always thought she'd end up with a very high-profile Cabinet position. I'd rather see her as Senate Majority Leader because Chuck Schumer is, in the words of Trump, a swamp creature, and should move aside for somebody who is willing to fight in a way that he's not. However, Biden would have to expend enormous political capital to push him out of that spot.

US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

Bottoms' visibility soared recently in a very positive way, but man would those campaign signs and bumper stickers be easily mocked.

And? If you haven’t learned anything at this point, it’s to mock him right back. Except, for justifiable things. Like being a fucking moron.

Meanwhile we can laugh at the concept of laughing at Biden bottoming.

Heh... late night news - from Raw Story

Trump changes course and won't hold Tulsa rally on Juneteenth and claims over 200,000 want to attend
Source: RawStory

President Donald Trump reversed course for one of the first times in his presidency with a late-night announcement on Twitter on Friday.

After 11 p.m. in New Jersey, where he is staying at his Bedminster resort, Trump announced he would change the date of his first post-coronavirus rally back a day, after widespread criticism.

I thought it was unofficially confirmed that Abrams is out of the running on some sort of theory that she tried too hard to get it.

For the reasons above and the fact that Joe Biden is in my view senile (yes, I know we're not allowed to say that but just because the other guy, who has far more advanced dementia, will use it against Biden doesn't make it any less true) and I don't believe for a second that he'll be in shape to run for a second term, if he finishes the first one - Val Demings IMO is a non-starter. We are living in very challenging times on a global scale - the pandemic, Russia's sphere of influence and their open warfare on democratic elections, the Chinese government and potential for unrest, the continuing clusterfuck in the Middle East - I don't think that we can gamble on someone with very little experience.

The smart money is probably on Harris - the big question there is what their internal polling tells them about how the progressive wing will vote and whether a very centrist Harris with her AG history has the potential to depress turnout. Honestly I think that's the only reason that Warren is still in the running. I've always thought she'd end up with a very high-profile Cabinet position. I'd rather see her as Senate Majority Leader because Chuck Schumer is, in the words of Trump, a swamp creature, and should move aside for somebody who is willing to fight in a way that he's not. However, Biden would have to expend enormous political capital to push him out of that spot.

Abrams may be out more on lack of resume. I get it. But, I’ll tell you this. It has to be Demings or Harris (or Bottoms). I think Bottoms might look like a cheap cynical choice ala Palin, chosen only because of a recent feud with Trump.

But I digress. There are millions of people out marching in the streets in support of racial justice and BLM. Biden won the nomination solely because of the relationship that Biden had made with black voters in South Carolina. To choose Warren right now would a slap in the face. And I really like Warren.

Biden needs to hitch his wagon to the energy of this, and to not choose a black vp, would be a huge deflation.
Not really sure if Warren would really boost the ticket much either. The only hardcore Bernie supporters that don’t want to vote for Biden, most likely are the same ones that hated and trashed Warren during the primaries. She isn’t from a swing state.
And while she has lots of experience, I think this election isn’t really about that.

This one is all about emotion and (not trying to sound insensitive) representation. The voters - of all races, would like to see a black voice, now more than ever. Black voters I’m sure would love to have a VP, they feel can understand and speak to their experience.

Like I said, I don’t think it will be Warren - and there are far better roles that she can play in his administration.

If we are going on experience plus a person of colour, I would still bet on Harris.

Trump needs an MRI.

I'm sure he's had many.

I've been saying for a long time that he's obviously suffering from dementia.

The fact that this hasn't been discussed more openly in the media is totally irresponsible.

It's questionable what state he'll be in by November.

I was a caregiver for my grandmother who had AD, ultimately she ended up in a home. Once you get to the stage where Trump is...it's a fast decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom