US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, but then the rest of your post has to apply too - if he has to explain why he is giving MORE $ to already bloated police budgets, that in itself is a policy fail.

From my perspective, nobody seems to be crying out for more $ to flow to the police. If they need additional training or whatever he's proposing, that should come from the demilitarization and the savings to their budgets that will flow from that (not just the purchase of military equipment but the very costly ongoing maintenance of it).

That’s true. And it’s part of my biggest issue with Sleepy Joe is he’s not the best communicator and he’s still living a dream of potential unity with GOP post Trump (if that ever happens). To him the GOP is under some spell and once he’s gone they’ll magically go back to a John McCain style of politics....which isn’t much different policy wise, but a little more subtle in their disdain for 80% of the country

I wish he’d pick his VP already and let her do the talking. This is where a policy junky like Warren would help. I think she’s smart enough on messaging and we know she’s brilliant with the details.

Let Joe do what Joe does best, connect with people.

No, it's true. If you're a police officer, you're either a piece of shit, or covering up for pieces of shit. There are no good police officers. The nature of the position itself is an immoral one.

I just let my cousin and a close family friend know that they are pieces of shit because you said so.

As much as I would love to jump into this conversation, :|

This again, is another day in Trumpworld

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1270770336418709505

Jesus Christ, what a fuckhead :doh:.

If this is how he reacts now, I can't even begin to imagine his meltdown if he loses in November. Maybe they shouldn't wait until January for him to leave the White House in that case.

The replies show CNN's response to that-such an eloquent way of telling him to stuff it.

i'm sure it's just a krazy kooky koincidence that trump is holding his first campaign rally in months on juneteenth in tulsa at a time like this.

gee i wonder why every dog in the neighborhood is barking? :hmm:

Last edited:
That’s true. And it’s part of my biggest issue with Sleepy Joe is he’s not the best communicator and he’s still living a dream of potential unity with GOP post Trump (if that ever happens). To him the GOP is under some spell and once he’s gone they’ll magically go back to a John McCain style of politics....which isn’t much different policy wise, but a little more subtle in their disdain for 80% of the country

I wish he’d pick his VP already and let her do the talking. This is where a policy junky like Warren would help. I think she’s smart enough on messaging and we know she’s brilliant with the details.

Let Joe do what Joe does best, connect with people.

I gotta disagree here. Joe may be a genuine "aw shucks" sorta guy. But he's also politically savvy enough to know what lane to fill when running against Trump. He saw 2018 like the rest of us, and how moderates, independents and women were shifting away from Trump on a moral/personality level, and they had seen what Trump had done for 2 years.

Biden knew that in order to capitalize on what was already happening, he had to appeal to those groups and not turn away people that are ready to vote for a decent Trump alternative. Biden was part of the Obama white house for 8 years. He knows better than anyone that Republicans have become the party of blocking anything from the opposing party, pretty much no matter what. McTurtle vowed to oppose anything Obama put forward without ever looking at it.

Now it's gone up a level. These same groups are now dealing with job losses, losing loved ones from Covid, protesting in the streets, and all the while they see Trump making each situation worse, not better. 80% of the public feel the country is in chaos. 3.5 years of Trump has been a non-stop, daily scandal, corruption, abuse of power, shameful and disgusting rhetoric, etc... They want some sense of normalcy and comfort from someone with experience that they can trust.

You see this born out in the primaries. People were not looking for a revolution. People were looking for stabilization. And if it means Biden outwardly projects an aura of "we all have to pull together, and work together for a better country", then that's the angle that he's using to build a coalition. And from what we've seen in the past few weeks of polling, it's working. Well.

And he never said there would be "unity" with Republicans. He said that he could imagine there "could be a few" that may see the light after Trump is gone. But you know that he isn't under any illusion that this actually will happen. He's seen obstruction at it's highest.

The good part about how things are right now, is that Biden actually is a good communicator when he is making speeches. And he's been able to do that over these past few weeks, to really show a contrast with Trump. But I agree, a VP like (Val, Stacey, or Kamala) could be out just tearing it up right now.

I know that behind the scenes, they have set up an advisory committee made up of equal parts Sanders people and Biden people. And they discuss and hash out the best way forward to be able to appeal to a wide range of Dems. So far the Sanders people have been happy with what Joe has put forward on police justice reform, but are still pushing a couple of areas for him to go further.

The other problem IMO is that the phrase "defund the police" actually knee-capped and was counterproductive to Biden actually going further. If defund the police hadn't been picked up by Trump and started to be used as a political weapon, I think Biden could have come out stronger. But now, how is Biden gonna come out and say, yes we have to cut police budgets across the board? Just watch the blue tide that has gathered wash away... As much as you want the average voter to get the nuanced definition of "defund the police" - 90% do not. They take it for what it sounds like and what narrative gets shoved out by Trump.

The bill put forward by Dems is a great start, and it already has been declared DOA by republicans. Biden's plan is a good start as well. But again, none of it matters if Biden isn't in office, and we don't have the Senate. None of it. Because if Dems get the white house and the Senate, then these bills will change, not to try to compromise with Reps, but to shift to much more progressive and full scale change.

i'm sure it's just a krazy kooky koincidence that trump is holding his first campaign rally in months on juneteenth in tulsa at a time like this.

gee i wonder why every dog in the neighborhood is barking? :hmm:
We now go to a live shot at Steven Miller after he proposed the idea

7luMFxsXgh3aHdSa3arLjIC2Fx6E0BDUcG1UIxX4cskt8nequvatDDiXsyAjWzTb6PrdM02rDAaaX7KfDSLjRhsgfvWOFYhKrcWcPTYDw4qTBVq9_WK4FGqEfbXm2dqI4LvGgQ4YvIubu7cCceRW4k5gHz79wkEwfe5_G-SQZh0P3cj5xrVnR_FPwXhcJf7-CY_uLxABTo6Zp202b7E1EuDvuS4d9TgWrAQ9PH__i7pIitK7_iX2m3kGaiP4luMFxsXgh3aHdSa3arLjIC2Fx6E0BDUcG1UIxX4cskt8nequvatDDiXsyAjWzTb6PrdM02rDAaaX7KfDSLjRhsgfvWOFYhKrcWcPTYDw4qTBVq9_WK4FGqEfbXm2dqI4LvGgQ4YvIubu7cCceRW4k5gHz79wkEwfe5_G-SQZh0P3cj5xrVnR_FPwXhcJf7-CY_uLxABTo6Zp202b7E1EuDvuS4d9TgWrAQ9PH__i7pIitK7_iX2m3kGaiP4

Sorry, he’s not 100% in line with my views so I’m not comfortable voting and therefore i forfeit any chance of my agenda getting passed for 50 years.

This election comes down to choosing between your 238th preferred candidate or turning into some form of orange fascism.

If Trump were to win, the courts will be stacked against minorities, women, liberals for decades and there’s really no guarantee that you’ll have another chance to change it.

This isn’t even bringing up the destruction of climate change

No, it's true. If you're a police officer, you're either a piece of shit, or covering up for pieces of shit. There are no good police officers.

Oh, come on, over generalization!!

Still, there are too many racist and sexist cops in the force! :sad:

But, sorry, "Defund" = Elimination in too many peoples mind! That will totally play against the Dems! :(
Drumph's people are already out there with this!

I want to see demilitarization real soon! Then I want some (1/3?) of their budget to go to better education for people of color, poor people over all, more social services, more arts education, etc. Other types of help so police won't be involved in some of the things they're involved with now.

Look, I've been out in demonstrations by myself, or with one other person usually.
I/we got out when we saw the beginnings of beginning where it looked like the police might be getting ready to do something. So I know this. I've also been listening to, or reading about African-Americans experiences with police (among other difficult situations) for 50+ yrs. So I know things should have changed a looong time ago. There have been changes, but not enough which is evident to more (white) people now. Who more might become allies.

Then we can take it from there.
Beginning to learn about Police being originating (I know bad grammar) in either finding slaves, or suppression post-Reconstruction.

Last edited:
sorry, he’s not 100% in line with my views so i’m not comfortable voting and therefore i forfeit any chance of my agenda getting passed for 50 years.

This election comes down to choosing between your 238th preferred candidate or turning into some form of orange fascism.

If trump were to win, the courts will be stacked against minorities, women, liberals for decades and there’s really no guarantee that you’ll have another chance to change it.

This isn’t even bringing up the destruction of climate change

this.

The only thing and person near and dear to Trump's cold dead heart is himself. They'll make sure they have plenty of African Americans within camera range "Hey look, my African American over there"!

(CNN)White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters Thursday that President Donald Trump will resume campaign rallies on Juneteenth, a holiday marking the emancipation of slaves, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, a city with a history of a racial massacre. She claimed Trump will "share some of the progress that has been made" for black Americans -- but that explanation is being rejected by many African American leaders.

"The African American community is very near and dear to his heart. At these rallies he often shares the great work he has done for minority communities," McEnany said, citing criminal justice reform and funding for historically black colleges and universities. "He's working on rectifying injustices ... So, it's a meaningful day to him, and it's a day where wants to share some of the progress that's been made as we look forward and more that needs to be done."

But given Trump's history of racist statements, including the birther movement, many instead see a call out to rally white supremacists.

Sen. Kamala Harris, a California Democrat who is widely viewed as a top contender to be Joe Biden's vice presidential pick, blasted Trump's decision to hold the rally there on Juneteenth.

"This isn't just a wink to white supremacists -- he's throwing them a welcome home party," she tweeted Thursday

Now I'm not a person of colour, so I can't speak from that perspective, but there is nothing quite like a privileged white (alleged) billionaire buffoon standing on stage in one of the whitest states on Juneteenth to whitemansplain exactly how much African Americans have progressed and have to be thankful for under his bigly leadership.

Now I'm not a person of colour, so I can't speak from that perspective, but there is nothing quite like a privileged white (alleged) billionaire buffoon standing on stage in one of the whitest states on Juneteenth to whitemansplain exactly how much African Americans have progressed and have to be thankful for under his bigly leadership.

Do we know the contents of the speech yet? White Nationalist and putter-of-children-into-cages Stephen Miller is writing it, so it’s gonna be a doozy.

How many people here believe that Trump even knows what Juneteenth is? Someone had to tell him, hopefully not Miller.

Talk about the ultimate insult-Trump making a speech about how great he is for African Americans-written by Miller, on Juneteenth, after all the murders of African Americans, the protests and riots, and Trump's ridiculous Bible stunt. What a phony dumpster fire.

Add to that unemployment for African Americans is currently even higher than it is for others. After all of Trump's bragging since 2016 regarding how low he got it.

The location is not just because it's one of the whitest. It's because it's the location of the largest race riot in history. The Tulsa Race Massacre, with mobs of white people attacked black residents, their homes and businesses. 150 or more dead, hundreds more injured. But you know, maybe its just cause Tulsa is so nice in late June.

So the Marmalade Molester did a "roundtable" on racism and policing today in Dallas. He didn't invite the three top black law enforcement officials, or the AG, I believe.

To sum up the highlights - paraphrasing as best i can.

Trump doing the painful reading of pre-written notes. "We need to heal wounds and come together" But we wont make any progress if we label millions of good Americans as racists or bigots.

"We are the greatest country in the world, but we get off topic - thinking about things that don't matter, or don't matter much.

Police are wonderful. You always have a bad apple. In any group theres a bad apple. But with the police there aren't many i can tell you that.

So it went really well. :D

Do we know the contents of the speech yet? White Nationalist and putter-of-children-into-cages Stephen Miller is writing it, so it’s gonna be a doozy.

Are we sure that this is still gonna be the "race" speech? Was thinking this was just gonna be a rally...

Are we sure that this is still gonna be the "race" speech? Was thinking this was just gonna be a rally...

Here's the thing - at the end of the day he's just a reality tv show star (+ con man).

And sooner or later, people get sick, tired and/or bored of the schtick. So aside from our revulsion at everything he is and stands for, less politically-interested people who aren't brainwashed by him are just sick to death of this shit 24/7. Who wants 5 more months of this, nevermind another 4 years.

Here's the thing - at the end of the day he's just a reality tv show star (+ con man).

And sooner or later, people get sick, tired and/or bored of the schtick. So aside from our revulsion at everything he is and stands for, less politically-interested people who aren't brainwashed by him are just sick to death of this shit 24/7. Who wants 5 more months of this, nevermind another 4 years.

This is so true. i tell this to people a lot. At this point, you see polling asking people questions like - How much of what Donald Trump tweets do you believe is factual.

Something like 17% say they believe everything he tweets. Around 70% or so said they believe little to none. People know that game. Many were amused by it during 2016. It got under Dems skin, and the contempt for government by republicans had grown because a black man held the office for 2 terms. So anything they could do to just throw a wrench in the gears, they wanted. The base, racist part of the party, have been waiting for someone like this their entire lives.
The people that were amused, have for the most part grown tired of it. The ones that thought he would be better once in office have been over it for almost 2 years now, the repubs that just voted repub because they always have are done with it. The repubs and moderates that hated Hillary so much, now have a candidate with a much higher positive rating they can turn to.

Back to your point. He has no new tricks. He is replaying the exact playbook from 2016. Everything is rigged, Biden is the most corrupt person in history, oh yeah, and Obama! Everyone except him is corrupt!! Dems are weak, I'm strong... blah blah blah.

He is being tuned out, even more so these past few months. His plan was to divide the country. He did that. Now his slice is about 40%. He didn't really think that one through all the way.

People know that game. Many were amused by it during 2016. It got under Dems skin,

Honestly, I did kind of laugh at the way he shat on Ted Cruz and how he (with Chris Christie) exposed Marco Rubio as a total empty suit and so on. It was all funny until it wasn't.

Honestly, I did kind of laugh at the way he shat on Ted Cruz and how he (with Chris Christie) exposed Marco Rubio as a total empty suit and so on. It was all funny until it wasn't.

Yes. I remember laughing about Lil’Marco in a bar with friends. It seemed like he was taking the piss, and it was kind of funny. And we laughter at the mouth-breathing fools taking him seriously and finding him inspirational — a way of burning everything down.

And here we are.

The good thing — which is a bad thing — is that he’s hugely incompetent. A good way to get re-elected is to be good at governing and he isn’t good at that. We know this now. In 2016 he got the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom