US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the last 48 hours

Romney, Condi Rice, Bush, not voting for Trump, and Colin Powell endorsing Biden.

Also. Mittens marching in the street in DC saying Black Lives Matter.

Woooooooeeeeee.

I’ve seen a couple people say they wish Bush would endorse Biden. Not sure if that would be a good thing or not. I guess if it swung TX it would be. But still skeptical

Mitt really out here this year distancing himself as much as possible from the GOP, huh? Damn. 2020 truly is wild.

But hey, if all these people continuing to speak out helps get more people voting against Trump, then fantastic. Keep it up.

“Abolish the police” does not mean there will be no policing. It just means that you start afresh with a new institution rather that trying to fix a corrupt one with powerful unions. Look at what Camden, NJ did. Move towards community policing. It’s a global best practice.

John Oliver mentioned the example of Camden on tonight's show. Sounds like a logical step to me.

(Great episode of that show tonight as well, definitely worth watching for any who are interested.)

I’m all for it. All these points are valid and often Good Ideas.

But, please. Step away from that phrase “Defund The Police” until January 21, 2021.

That’s all I ask. That will keep real, meaningful change possible, instead of inspiring backlash.

If we’re on to cheap sloganeering, then Make the Police Great Again.

That Bolton book will be great. He is an incredibly petty person so you know what content you can expect. Fox News will quickly rebrand him as a liberal in cahoots with George Bush, the infamous progressive.

That sort of polling is why you can see (predictably) that the rats are abandoning the ship.

It's no coincidence that we have W Bush, Condi Rice, Mittens, Jeb, Colin Powell and now Paul Ryan and John Boehner are "declining" to say who they will support in November. These people are either posturing for 2024 or trying to re-write history by allowing this hideous man to "govern" for 3.5 years without so much as a whisper of opposition. Remember all of them, that entire party.

Susan Collins' brow will soon need a muscle relaxant to stop furrowing.

Let's not get too excited about current polling - there's still a lot of time before the election.

A whole lifetime in politics.

Nevertheless, Biden is polling considerably better than Hillary (she struggled to reach 50%).

I have hope that seeing 4 years of this utter disaster will ensure that anyone who may have been "ahhh what's the difference they're all the same" back in 2016 will feel a tad differently this time around.

That said? There's no celebrating this time till the job is done and.the cancer is removed.

Looking ahead - can you imagine what a Trump transition would look like? Add in the potential for a second wave of COVID hitting around that same time?

Fun times fun times.

Holy shitballs :ohmy:

new CNN national poll:

Biden 55%
Trump 41%

I don't get all amped up for these. But what I do get amped up is that many of the demographics that swung in Trump's favor in 2016 are all polling for Biden in what looks like a huge swing so far. Even Whites without a college degree.

Looking ahead - can you imagine what a Trump transition would look like?

At least Biden would have the benefit of having done it again so Trump's uselesness during hte transition can be mitigated .

I still think that he won't concede - he'll hit up Twitter with accusations of Mexicans voting 18 times each, BLM thugs intimidating the real "good people" of America, the postal system and voting-by mail being bought out by George Soros and directed by Hillary Clinton and who knows what other nonsense.

At least Biden would have the benefit of having done it again so Trump's uselesness during hte transition can be mitigated .

I still think that he won't concede - he'll hit up Twitter with accusations of Mexicans voting 18 times each, BLM thugs intimidating the real "good people" of America, the postal system and voting-by mail being bought out by George Soros and directed by Hillary Clinton and who knows what other nonsense.
I'm not talking about his inevitable complaining - moreso the damage he could do in two and a half months.

Oh he will definitely do all these things and more. And expect no conceding phone call. That’s why the bigger the defeat the better.

I’m not celebrating these polls too much, and know they will tighten a lot. But the bigger lead Biden can get now will make more ground for trump to make up later. Also good to see the highest rated pollsters are showing 7-14 point lead while the crappy pollsters are showing a tie to 5 point lead.

It is going to take everything we’ve got to get this done. Hoping Biden can start to get a bit more visibility and that Trump ignores his advisors advice to push a more hopeful message and sticks with Putin as his guide.

Last edited:
Finally a smart play.

Dems putting forward major police reform bill. This is the perfect way to set up who is looking, not to defund the police, but to support huge structural change, and see if the Repubs will back it or block it.

This pretty much will take away the whole Trump campaign narrative saying that Biden wants to defund the police. It will show that Trump has no actual plan, and the only people that Reps and Trump will make happy with this are his base, and many police officers. All of which are already with him.

Very good move, and really good to do it so quickly.

I think it was the Intercept they published a story about the GOP being on tape saying the plan is to have retired SEALS and cops provide security at polling stations this November. You know, to keep the peace. Secure the integrity of the election....

What we will definitely see is what happened in Wisconsin a month or so ago. There will be 2 polling stations for the entire state of Georgia, Pennsylvania, etc.

We will most likely be in another wave (rate we’re going it’ll be a 3rd or 4th) of the pandemic. So will Trump or swing states try to implement shutdowns / curfews to limit voter turnout ?

Or he could just Nuke us all out of fear of prison

As for the defund the police, now Biden has to respond to this question over and over and over. I’ve seen some posts on twitter where people are saying “this is what we mean when we say defund....”

USE THE APPROPRIATE WORD!!! Reallocate, reform, demilitarize, rebuild

Defunding is going to be pounced on the literal meaning of no more $$ which means no more police

The people in the suburbs that Trump is losing may think twice if they fear losing their protection and the gangs will move in....

Point is, please drop this slogan and rebrand

The comments on the articles I have been reading about police de-funding (not the best source of information, I know) have been filled with people talking about how it would be a victory for the second amendment and a return to the idea of the citizenry protecting themselves. Interesting how the phrase "police de-funding" can appeal to both sides of the political spectrum in different ways.

Yes. He will want to lose ina way where he can throw a tantrum and scream “RIGGED! RIGGED! DADDY, THEY RIGGED THE VOTE!” Thst way, the deplorable 33% will follow him over to Trump TV where he can do his lounge act of grievance nightly.

The plot twist, however, is if he thinks the only way he can stay out of jail is to win re-election. Trump will do a lot of things to stay out of jail.

Also, should note that Romney has, I believe, a black grandchild.

If anyone has ever read conservative evangelical writer David French, you can see his evolution on race issues that began in 2010 when he and his wife adopted a little girl from Ethiopia. All the things that black people talk about and conservatives deny, well guess what, they happen to his daughter.

Another example of conservatives telling people to fuck off, and then the mea culpa when it happens to them and they become aware that people who are different from them are still people (see Reagan, Nancy and “stem cells”).

Some tweets from the timeline where Trump loses on election night 2020:

GEORGE SOROS BOUGHT THE ELECTION. SAD!

ANTIFA AND THE BLACK PANTHERS COWED THE INNOCENTS OF AMERICA

WITHOUT MY LEADERSHIP, ENJOY 4 YEARS OF SODDOM AND GAMERA

YOU CAN'T SILENCE THE TRUTH WITHOUT A FIGHT

SAVE THE BABIES FROM OBAMAGATE #OBAMAGATE

I HAVE MANY FRIENDS IN THE MILITARY

CHINA!!!

Last edited:
Pretty sure everyone’s mind is made up already, and voter turnout is all that matters.

I said the same thing about a month ago. But it truly has shifted a significant amount over that time. I think that with the polling we are seeing now though. You probably are right. I think we have hit the bottom of the barrel of the scum that will stick with Trump no matter what. I do think some will stray back if the economy picks up well, but it is all about turnout.
And Trump has himself to blame. He chose to do the divide the country thing, but he didn't realize his part of the divide was much smaller. Lets hope it stays that way.

If you think Trump hasn’t gone completely batshit and would acknowledge he’s done something wrong, you’re wrong. He’s more likely to try to amend the constitutional term limits than he is to try consciously acknowledge any wrongdoing.

If you think Trump hasn’t gone completely batshit and would acknowledge he’s done something wrong, you’re wrong. He’s more likely to try to amend the constitutional term limits than he is to try consciously acknowledge any wrongdoing.
"I had no choice! The system is rigged! The Democrats would have made up fake news to keep me from telling the people the truth on my new news network!"

Guy's about self preservation and spin. If the walls are closed in he'll so whatever it takes to get out of it. Much like his bankruptcies.

And I’m arguing he’s more willing to use extreme tactics for self preservation right now, as he has entirely lost it and if he admits defeat then his four years of refusing to ever acknowledge minor defeats will have been for naught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom