US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Defund the police” sounds like a great way to give Trump 4 more years. It’s right up there with “abolish ICE” and “open all borders.”

This isn’t to say that all three of these issues need significant reform, and that the ideas behind these slogans deserve attention and consideration.

But for people who routinely (and accurately) criticize the Democrats for bad messaging, these messages are far, far more politically stupid.

It’s really bad messaging.

Who will do the actual police work? Where will battered women or children go to? Who goes after sexual assault criminals and tracks the offenders ?

If we’re going to play the messaging game you better be fucking good at it. Reform the police seems to be a safer message and one that makes some sense. Demilitarize the police

Defund or disband. Yeah FoxNews and White House are already running this as a negative against democrats

Retrain the police would be far better messaging. Refocus on community policing and developing relationships with the public. Get the police involved in community projects, working alongside the public. Kick the bad cops off the force. Allow good cops to register complaints about fellow officers without fear of reprisals.

Defund the police is not going to work.

Defund the police is a message that gives no solution, just a punishment.

Disarm the police is the message we should be sending.

Disarm. The. Police.

I think better might be - Transform the Police

I agree with the disarm part (somewhat) I am more for stripping away the militarization of the police that has happened.

So here's the problem for Dems and Biden and here's the solution.

First, Trump has been the one cutting Federal Police grants, and Biden is proposing increases in those.

So right off the bat, we know the problem is that Trump and Reps will lie about this and say the exact opposite and Biden is fully on board with defunding the police and even disbanding them. We know this.

So that sets up Biden to have to walk a line between being strong on public safety and standing by GOOD cops and so that all of the progress with moderate and suburban voters isn't lost, while still being tough on the police and putting out detailed sweeping changes to how policing is done moving forward.

I think the best answer is for him to say -

I stand by our law enforcement officers. There are hundreds of thousands of dedicated, outstanding officers that protect and serve their communities as they are sworn to do. BUT, as we have seen, there are also a percentage of officers who should not be wearing the badge, and are breaking the oath they took.

I am proposing a detailed plan that increases federal grants to police agencies that meet or exceed the new guidelines on hiring, training, ongoing education and training, psychological testing, background checks and disciplinary action. For the agencies that don't meet the guidelines, I will not put forward federal money to an agency that may harm the public they are supposed to serve.

And there you go. For the most part - I think that the "defund the police" or abolish the police slogans that are flying around right now, are viewed by most as far left activists that are not representative of a perceived "moderate" like Biden. But he has to get in front of it. And not just for him but for the Senate and House seats.

Also, I would say Val Demings is probably flying up the VP list right now. Just hope there is nothing in her past as Chief of Police that would come up and bite em later.

I like that - Transform the Police

as you said walking the line between opposing positions

maybe defunding might be doable after people see how much is changed. I've only read bits of this POV, will educate myself more on the various ways of doing this.

So in the last 48 hours

Romney, Condi Rice, Bush, not voting for Trump, and Colin Powell endorsing Biden.

Also. Mittens marching in the street in DC saying Black Lives Matter.

Woooooooeeeeee.

I’ve seen a couple people say they wish Bush would endorse Biden. Not sure if that would be a good thing or not. I guess if it swung TX it would be. But still skeptical

Why is Biden proposing increasing grants?

Frankly any sort of increase to police budgets (at any level) will be met with understandable hostility. What’s the rationale?

So in the last 48 hours

Romney, Condi Rice, Bush, not voting for Trump, and Colin Powell endorsing Biden.

Also. Mittens marching in the street in DC saying Black Lives Matter.

Woooooooeeeeee.

I’ve seen a couple people say they wish Bush would endorse Biden. Not sure if that would be a good thing or not. I guess if it swung TX it would be. But still skeptical

If Bush endorses Biden, he should do it as part of a former President coalition with Obama, Clinton, and Carter. Where their message is that Trump has defamed the office. Might go over better. Safer for Bush, a message of unity.

If Bush endorses Biden, he should do it as part of a former President coalition with Obama, Clinton, and Carter. Where their message is that Trump has defamed the office. Might go over better. Safer for Bush, a message of unity.

If you want an endorsement from a former Republican President, the worst thing you can do is group him with 1) a Clinton and 2) a group of Democrats.

It’s impactful enough if Bush does it alone.

Just remember that people are skeptical of the old world order and are potentially unhinged enough to believe in conspiracies of their control over society.

It is a fact that many key areas of American society require better funding than they are currently receiving and most American cities place greater emphasis on funding their police forces than the average Canadian or western European city.

You can adjust the terminology away from "defund the police," but I'm tired of the US being funded like a police state. If education, parks and recreation, housing and infrastructure need reform, we know what can take a hit. "Police reform" is not enough when reforming life for minorities could make over-policing a thing of the past. It's especially important that this be presented to leaders while city budgets are being reimagined due to the pandemic.

Abolishing police is a stupid proposal considering our gun situation. We're not ready for that, or even close.

Last edited:
Well, well, look at that.

It is a fact that many key areas of American society require better funding than they are currently receiving and most American cities place greater emphasis on funding their police forces than the average Canadian or western European city.

You can adjust the terminology away from "defund the police," but I'm tired of the US being funded like a police state. If education, parks and recreation, housing and infrastructure need reform, we know what can take a hit. "Police reform" is not enough when reforming life for minorities could make over-policing a thing of the past. It's especially important that this be presented to leaders while city budgets are being reimagined due to the pandemic.

Abolishing police is a stupid proposal considering our gun situation. We're not ready for that, or even close.

I'm quite embarrassed :reject: I didn't realize that NYC's Police Budget equaled the combined budget of these several essential services.
I have been concerned about the militarization of the police over ?last decade (?)+ . :|

Well, well, look at that.

I'm quite embarrassed :reject: I didn't realize that NYC's Police Budget equaled the combined budget of these several essential services.
I have been concerned about the militarization of the police over ?last decade (?)+ . :|
It's a very complex issue, as fiscal budgets are already set in certain areas and money can't be readily shifted from one to another on a dime, but it's a matter of will and priority. The disenfranchised need to be heard and valued.

If you would like to read more about the situation in NYC, this article is illuminating:

https://ny.curbed.com/2020/6/5/2127...police-budget-affordable-housing-homelessness

The housing situation is dire and will only get worse once people can start being evicted again in August.

“Abolish the police” does not mean there will be no policing. It just means that you start afresh with a new institution rather that trying to fix a corrupt one with powerful unions. Look at what Camden, NJ did. Move towards community policing. It’s a global best practice.

“Abolish the police” does not mean there will be no policing. It just means that you start afresh with a new institution rather that trying to fix a corrupt one with powerful unions. Look at what Camden, NJ did. Move towards community policing. It’s a global best practice.

“Restart the police”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom