US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) has chosen June 26 to hold the first floor vote in a generation on D.C. statehood, hoping to harness a*national reckoning on race*and*capitalize on widespread outrage over the federal response to street protests in the nation’s capital.

Officials expect legislation making the District the 51st state to pass the House of Representatives with an overwhelming majority of Democrats, which would be a watershed moment for pro-statehood activists and the first time in U.S. history that either chamber of Congress has advanced a statehood bill.

Forty of 100 senators have announced they support D.C. statehood. But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)*strongly opposes the legislation*and has said it will not get a vote in the Senate as long as he’s in charge.

Flip the Senate.

It definitely feels like 400 years of suffering every time.

giphy.gif

When we’ve turned a virus into a red vs blue issue i have zero faith that we can actually solve real problems.

Even something like banning chokeholds or other unnecessary use of force can’t be agreed upon.

Why would a cop need to use a choke hold ? Why can’t cops get better hand to hand / grappling training ? There are so many other ways to restrain someone without the risk of chasing serious harm or death.

Another issue is why no oversight for cops ? Why are cops with multiple complaints working in the field ? Why not fired ? Bad apples need the root of the tree pulled out.

If we can’t fix the system that allows for bad behavior then we’ll continue this cycle over and over.

I read that LAPD will start sending unarmed officers to assist with non violent or serious crime disputes.

It does make me wonder how much guns play into all of this. Every time you interact with a cop, there’s a gun now involved.

It changes the atmosphere of every encounter.

Let’s set aside the training issue that seems to be a huge problem with cops using their guns without real reason (like shooting a drunk guy running away)

If someone is resisting arrest and decides they will take on the cop, it’s now a potential life or death struggle for both parties. The cop absolutely has to be aware of the person going for the gun, which probably makes them more likely to pull it

I don’t think we can go the England route and disarm all cops because we have a society that is armed for war.

I think it goes without saying that police do not need military weapons. Even in Iraq / Afghanistan the army found it more productive to not roll fucking tanks down neighborhoods when trying to work with the citizens there.

So why are we rolling out tanks for peaceful protests ? Even for the looting and fires that went off you don’t need a military force.

Obama tried to limit the sale of military gear to cops, but Trump rolled it back in 2017.

Man so much of this is tied to guns. Of course there is systemic racism - but it's like the whole gun issue is just being ignored in the entire police reform conversation.

Systemic racism leads to crime which leads to more police which leads to more police shootings.

More guns leads to more shootings.

More shootings in an area makes for cops who are more afraid for their lives, and more likely to use deadly force.

It's all connected.

Man so much of this is tied to guns. Of course there is systemic racism - but it's like the whole gun issue is just being ignored in the entire police reform conversation.

Systemic racism leads to crime which leads to more police which leads to more police shootings.

More shootings in an area makes for cops who are more afraid for their lives, and more likely to use deadly force.

It's all connected.

The problem with that, I like to hunt. If you start pulling this shit, how am I supposed to go up north every November and get so drunk with my buddies that I'm too hungover to see straight when I'm shooting at deer?

imagine if Bolton had decided to give us this information when it could have been useful:

Mr. Bolton describes several episodes where the president expressed willingness to halt criminal investigations “to, in effect, give personal favors to dictators he liked,” citing cases involving major firms in China and Turkey. “The pattern looked like obstruction of justice as a way of life, which we couldn’t accept,” Mr. Bolton writes, adding that he reported his concerns to Attorney General William P. Barr.

The book, “The Room Where It Happened,” was obtained by The New York Times in advance of its scheduled publication next Tuesday and has already become a political lightning rod in the thick of an election campaign and a No. 1 best seller on Amazon.com even before it hits the bookstores. The Justice Department filed a last-minute lawsuit against Mr. Bolton this week seeking to stop publication even as Mr. Trump’s critics complained that Mr. Bolton should have come forward during impeachment proceedings rather than save his account for a $2 million book contract.

While other books by journalists, lower-level former aides and even an anonymous senior official have revealed much about the Trump White House, Mr. Bolton’s volume is the first tell-all memoir by such a high-ranking official who participated in major foreign policy events and has a lifetime of conservative credentials. It is a withering portrait of a president ignorant of even basic facts about the world, susceptible to transparent flattery by authoritarian leaders manipulating him and prone to false statements, foul-mouthed eruptions and snap decisions that aides try to manage or reverse.

Mr. Trump did not seem to know, for example, that Britain is a nuclear power and asked if Finland is part of Russia, Mr. Bolton writes. He came closer to withdrawing the United States from NATO than previously known. Even top advisers who position themselves as unswervingly loyal mock him behind his back. During Mr. Trump’s 2018 meeting with North Korea’s leader, according to the book, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo slipped Mr. Bolton a note disparaging the president, saying, “He is so full of shit.”

A month later, Mr. Bolton writes, Mr. Pompeo dismissed the president’s North Korea diplomacy, declaring that there was “zero probability of success.”

Intelligence briefings with the president were a waste of time “since much of the time was spent listening to Trump, rather than Trump listening to the briefers.” Mr. Trump likes pitting staff members against one another, at one point telling Mr. Bolton that former Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson had once referred to Nikki R. Haley, then the ambassador to the United Nations, by a sexist obscenity — an assertion Mr. Bolton seemed to doubt but found telling that the president would make it.

Mr. Trump said so many things that were wrong or false that Mr. Bolton in the book regularly includes phrases like “(the opposite of the truth)” following some quote from the president. And Mr. Trump in this telling has no overarching philosophy of governance or foreign policy but rather a series of gut-driven instincts that sometimes mirrored Mr. Bolton’s but other times were, in his view, dangerous and reckless.

[...]

The book confirms House testimony that Mr. Bolton was wary all along of the president’s actions with regard to Ukraine and that Mr. Trump explicitly linked the security aid to investigations involving Mr. Biden and Hillary Clinton. On Aug. 20, Mr. Bolton writes, Mr. Trump “said he wasn’t in favor of sending them anything until all the Russia-investigation materials related to Clinton and Biden had been turned over.” Mr. Bolton writes that he, Mr. Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper tried eight to 10 times to get Mr. Trump to release the aid.

Mr. Bolton, however, had nothing for scorn for the House Democrats who impeached Mr. Trump, saying they committed “impeachment malpractice” by limiting their inquiry to the Ukraine matter and moving too quickly for their own political reasons. Instead, he said they should have also looked at how Mr. Trump was willing to intervene in investigations into companies like Turkey’s Halkbank to curry favor with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey or China’s ZTE to favor President Xi Jinping.

Mr. Bolton also recounts a discussion at the Group of 20 summit meeting in Osaka, Japan, last summer at which the president overtly linked policy to his own political fortunes as he asked Mr. Xi to buy a lot of American agricultural products to help him win farm states in this year’s election. Mr. Trump, he writes, was “pleading with Xi to ensure he’d win. He stressed the importance of farmers, and increased Chinese purchases of soybeans and wheat in the electoral outcome.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/us/politics/bolton-book-trump-impeached.html

he's a POS. but he's a POS who knows where the bodies are buried and we can learn things from him.

i won't buy this, since i don't want to give Bolton any of my money. i'm so thankful that the good parts will be up on Twitter soon.

Hooo, boy.
Thanks, Irving.

Damn you, Bolton you could have done some real could by testifying! :angry:
Still maybe somehow this'll make a meaningful different? :sigh: (idk)
------------------
and FU - Donnie wanna be dictator! :gah:

YO- is anyone suddenly NOT seeing their
Quick Link window??!!?

Last edited:
What’s fun is that there‘s an honesty to Trump. He’s not different when the cameras aren’t rolling. He’s exactly the ignorant, amoral asshole everyone already thinks he is.

I bet there's someone out there also named John Bolton saying "Why should I change my name? He's the one that sucks"!

What’s fun is that there‘s an honesty to Trump. He’s not different when the cameras aren’t rolling. He’s exactly the ignorant, amoral asshole everyone already thinks he is.

You mean anyone thought otherwise?

Bolton is a day late and a dollar short. Well not really short many dollars. F him too.

It's all connected.

I keep thinking about this angle, too. Saw a documentary on ABC last night called "Let it Fall" that was about the events leading up to the 1992 riots, and there was a section in there that talked about people shooting each other, be it as part of gangs or, when the riots were happening, store owners arming themselves to shoot at anyone they perceived to be a threat. There was a particularly heartbreaking story about a store owner shooting a teenage girl, Latasha Harlins, just days after Rodney King was beaten up.

Yes. Gun control absolutely needs to continue to be part of the conversation.

Regarding everything with Bolton and his book, this part from what Irvine quoted is just...wow:

Mr. Trump did not seem to know, for example, that Britain is a nuclear power and asked if Finland is part of Russia

I mean, I'm not surprised, 'cause that's how much of a dumbass Trump is, but just knowing we've got someone THAT incredibly stupid as our president, and that people see nothing wrong whatsoever with having someone that dumb as president...:banghead:.

I love this comment in the replies:

We want him to serve multiple terms, he is right about that. But not as President...

There was an absolutely hilarious clip shown on Colbert last night where Barr, who's been working with Trump to try and put a stop to Bolton's book's publication, apparently was shocked to learn that the book had already been published. It's at about 4 minutes in if you want to skip to that part:

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1273100555846631425

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1273302731965464578

This is also happening while McTurtle and Trump don't want to extend unemployment benefits. Wonder how many in this line think the economy is roaring back??

Also heard that Trump wants to have a "back to work bonus" in the next stimulus instead of extended unemployment. Because it makes perfect sense to give a chunk of money to people who are lucky enough to find work, and to drop those that have no income. Your 2020 GOP Fucksticks at work!

and sacrifice the profits that releasing this book less than 5 months before the election is going to bring in?? why, that's just crazy!

Disagree about profit motive. By testifying, he just becomes another turncoat reject from Orange don’s regime. He wasn’t going to turn 50% of republicans against Trump with a testimony.

But what he’s done now is 1) drawn this out even further and 2) just put every anti impeach republican vote on a pedestal for their re-election campaigns. John Bolton just fucked them all.

John Bolton is a true believer in his own world view.

And he is extremely petty.

So this was always going to be the path that he would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom