US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Well this is some news. I know not a lot of polling happening right now. But this one is, well... fairly shocking.

https://twitter.com/AstorAaron/statu...28548170407936

Old 06-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
This speech by Biden is striking me as being really very good. Tons of empathy.
I'll give him credit: I thought he handled it about as well as he is able to handle it, considering the things he cannot say because of his record and stances. He's certainly handling this better than Nancy Pelosi, who is coming across once again as insanely out-of-touch.

Why is she obsessing over the Bible thing and not the violence police are committing against citizens? Because she can only view her relationship to Trump as some sort of petty meme war. She just wants to make fun of him. It's fine to make fun of Trump, so long as you're making an effort to right his wrongs. But she's content to not even bother putting up actual opposition, because she's more concerned with not taking "losses" on legislation.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
I'll give him credit: I thought he handled it about as well as he is able to handle it, considering the things he cannot say because of his record and stances. He's certainly handling this better than Nancy Pelosi, who is coming across once again as insanely out-of-touch.

Why is she obsessing over the Bible thing and not the violence police are committing against citizens? Because she can only view her relationship to Trump as some sort of petty meme war. She just wants to make fun of him. It's fine to make fun of Trump, so long as you're making an effort to right his wrongs. But she's content to not even bother putting up actual opposition, because she's more concerned with not taking "losses" on legislation.

Old and out of touch I agree with, but I don't think anyone can argue that Pelosi isn't very religious. She's not reading the bible for the first time as a prop or something.
But you're right. She's trying to beat Trump on petty meme's. She needs to just talk about standing with the peaceful protesters right now and leave out the other shit.

Been happy with what I'm seeing from Biden. I get genuine compassion and that he is really trying to be better by understanding and listening. Sometimes you have to give people a chance and know that they can change and grow. Everyone makes mistakes and bad choices in their past. Many people held beliefs that they change and grow from over the years. Holding candidates to selective past votes or choices they made over decades, and ignoring what they are doing now to try to be better isn't good for anyone.

Anyway. Also agree with the "healing" part. That's the easy thing for white people to say once the demonstrations are over. Oh, it's all healed now, lets move one. We gotta do better than that.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post

This is literally a 10 minute walk from my house. I was outside protesting while this was happening. Felt good to flip off the motorcade.

Also, the protest was small (this is a small neighborhood) but very diverse, lots of kids, all ages. Also, the police were great.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #25
War Child

https://www.gq.com/story/why-violent-protests-work

Why Violent Protests Work

Quote:
I’ve studied protest from the 1950s to today, and I’ve looked at this across a host of different issues in which individuals can see change, whether electoral shifts or policies or donations. The reality is that—objectively examining protests—violent protest has a positive impact on political and policy change. Nonviolent protest brings awareness to an issue; violent protest brings urgency to an issue. It forces individuals to pay attention to these important discussions of race relations, but also prompts the international community to join in and say, “Hey, there’s something wrong there.” We see protests breaking out in Berlin and other cities throughout the world right now. So there is a positive, influential aspect of violent protest. Saying that, naturally I don’t condone violence, and I’m not pushing for individuals to engage in unlawful behavior, but if we are objectively examining the influence of protests, we’re being disingenuous to say that violent protest does not bring individuals to the table, that it does not lead to policy change. That simply isn’t true.

One of the most contentious protests we’ve seen that we can relate and compare to what we’re seeing now in 2020 is the Rodney King riots in the 1990s. This is a protest that became very violent, and if you look at the representative for that area, it was Maxine Waters in South Central L.A. When she spoke about these events, she referred to it as “righteous anger,” because she understood the pain individuals were going through. And it led her to engage in more policy actions in the House. Before the riots took place, she was looking at initiatives involving international things, women’s rights— but after this took place, she began focusing on bills dealing with the concerns of protesters. We saw her work on public housing, we saw a neighborhood infrastructure bill pass, we saw an inner city job creation bill she introduced. In addition to that, George Bush had several meetings looking at how he should address this. Later Bush came out and he had no choice but to acknowledge the reality of the times. He said, “In the wake of the L.A. riots, can any one of us argue that we have solved the problem of poverty and racism?” And the answer is no. Every day discussions at the water cooler actually changed because of that.

Oftentimes, when people say “violent protest has no impact,” it’s not because they have empirical evidence. They’re relying on their optimistic notions of seeing King and hearing his rhetoric. And those things are true, that nonviolence can be effective, but the violence can also be effective if you look at the data and follow the protests and see the impact it has on policy.

Ferguson is a great example for us to assess activism and policy, because with Ferguson, we didn’t see a massive change in many things. But the point we gotta take from Ferguson is that it fits into a larger narrative. Sometimes we see protests today, and then we wait 24 hours, and see that nothing happened the next day. We say to ourselves, “This is useless, we’re wasting our time.” But the way in which I approach protest influence is through a larger, broader lens. What protest does, especially Ferguson, is it fits in this larger narrative of racial and ethnic minority protests that have pushed back on police brutality throughout the years. So we’re seeing the Ferguson arrests around 2014—what’s the impact it has? It begins to bring awareness and urgency to this issue. Shortly after that, there’s more attention and more interest in Black Lives Matter. There are more protests in 2016, and Black Lives Matter begins to grow in strength. By the time we get to 2020, the reason why George Floyd becomes a protest that bubbles over into the streets and leads to various forms of violence and resonates across the world is because of all the protests that preceded it. George Floyd is not necessarily the catalyst—it’s the crescendo.

It was like this in the ‘60s. Some might have said, “Why didn’t we see some kind of change immediately following the protest in 1961 or ‘62 or ‘63?” Take your pick. But then we see the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and all of a sudden we have the policy change we’re looking for. But it took time.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
hewson doesn't know how roman numerals work.

Ha, fat finger must have hit an extra X.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #27
War Child

Old 06-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

it's not a matter of if. it's a matter of when. this will end badly.

https://twitter.com/alexvnews/status...08370782978048
Old 06-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
it's not a matter of if. it's a matter of when. this will end badly.

https://twitter.com/alexvnews/status...08370782978048

Did you hear about bow-and-arrow man in SLC?
Old 06-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Did you hear about bow-and-arrow man in SLC?
I did. Things went about as well as they should have for him.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well this is some news. I know not a lot of polling happening right now. But this one is, well... fairly shocking.

Woah... That is pretty surprising!

Quote:
This is literally a 10 minute walk from my house. I was outside protesting while this was happening. Felt good to flip off the motorcade.

Also, the protest was small (this is a small neighborhood) but very diverse, lots of kids, all ages. Also, the police were great.
We wuz with you in spirit!

Glad you had a good protest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Ha, fat finger must have hit an extra X.

Or too teeny type!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
Uggggh, fecking asshat.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/sta...383596032?s=21
Old 06-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 AM
https://youtu.be/vP4iY1TtS3s
Old 06-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wow

If you were wondering why Trump is going on his bible holding tour.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/stat...13171798183937
Old 06-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
wow

If you were wondering why Trump is going on his bible holding tour.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/stat...13171798183937
Quote:

Good. Let this trend continue. Let him have to leave office like the disgrace that he is.

ETA: As noted in the one poll, Trump supporters may be dissatisfied because they feel he isn't being tough enough, but hell, if their disappointment makes it so they stay home on Election Day, that can only be a positive for the rest of us.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Large march headed to the White House - but a larger military presence as well.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Large march headed to the White House - but a larger military presence as well.

I’m still quietly worried people could jump the gates. There’s heavy firepower on the roof. Shooting a single person making a mad dash at the WH is one thing. But if 200 people jump the fence at the same time? What happens then?
Old 06-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Really strange. About halfway through the Biden speech from today, I realized that I had completely forgotten what this was like. To have a president. One that speaks genuinely and thoughtfully. That is about inspiring and empathizing. That has heart and leadership.

We haven't heard it in 3 and a half years. It was sort of startling to hear again.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Irony: A Play In One Tweet

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1267918269798850563
Old 06-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

Quote:
Really strange. About halfway through the Biden speech from today, I realized that I had completely forgotten what this was like. To have a president. One that speaks genuinely and thoughtfully. That is about inspiring and empathizing. That has heart and leadership.

We haven't heard it in 3 and a half years. It was sort of startling to hear again.

I have the sense that Obama might have written, or edited, or closely advised that speech.

Let’s have him continue to do so.