US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You never want to be sure too early in the game but the consensus seems to be moving in the direction of Michigan no longer being a battleground state. Trump has a million different problems there and my gut feeling tells me he's cooked in that state.

I don't trust Florida for one second to do the right thing so in my view they are deep red until proven otherwise.

No question that all of these polls, both national and state will tighten. Trump is trying to get a 2T bill passed. He knows that the first bill is the reason for the jobs number and he will do anything to get that higher. Then of course the usual. All of the voter suppression tactics.

And to be honest. With these poll numbers, I have little doubt that Trump campaign is in contact with foreign entities about interference.

The only good I take from these is that the larger the lead now, the more Trump has to eat into along the way. The plus is that there are far fewer undecideds this time around. He has fewer voters to pull from than he did in 2016 to climb back up the polls.

If you look back at 2016, There were wild swings in 538 projections over 5 months time. So we will see a swing back at some point. I'm guessing if we see another large jobs number, there will be some sliding back.

Just a side note. Still puzzled that the myth of the polls being totally wrong in 2016 still persists. In November, Clinton was +3.1 over Trump. That's within the standard margin of error. So looking at how the result came out, If Biden can make it to November north of +4 nationally, and +4 or greater in pivotal swing states, he should be ok. My hope is that he is more around +6 but that will be a tall order.

Polls really weren't wrong in 2016 - on a national level they were almost bang on. It was the state level that was the issue. Some states were not polled often enough, and pollsters did not amend their approach to reach people who had never been polled and who were neither likely nor registered voters.

The bigger the lead in states and nationally, the better because it will cause massive headaches for downticket races. There are now more than just a couple of Republican Senators chewing their nails. Trump doesn't care about anyone but himself and will absolutely not direct ANY campaign funds to save Susan Collins or Martha McSally or anyone else. So the Republicans have to raise massive amounts of $ for Senate and Congressional races and with each new state that becomes a toss up, those funds have to be spread out over a larger number of people. This is a real problem for McConnell primarily because I think the GOP has given up on the House.

This is interesting. I was expecting a big fight back and forth in the comments about progressives needing this and Warren is the best fighter, etc...

But reading through, I don't know if I saw one comment that backed Warren. Many, I love Warren, but... Warren was my vote in the primary but...
It was pretty much solidified that Harris is the pick for this moment.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1272719308561412096

After thinking about it these last couple weeks. There really are only two choices. Warren and Harris.
Biden's number one was having someone ready to be pres on day one. Of all the names, these two are the only ones that fit that bill. I am one of those people. I love Warren very much. But like I said before, to not go with a woman of color right now would be a big misstep in my opinion. But almost two months to decide, may bring a different perspective.
I do think Biden will pass the torch after one term.

Does anyone know how that works if Biden does one term? Does Biden serve out the term and then endorse the VP, and then the VP has to go through the whole primary process again? Could Biden effectively "step down" in the last week or month of the his term and literally make his VP pres??

Anyone smarter than me have any answers on this??

This is interesting. I was expecting a big fight back and forth in the comments about progressives needing this and Warren is the best fighter, etc...

But reading through, I don't know if I saw one comment that backed Warren. Many, I love Warren, but... Warren was my vote in the primary but...

After thinking about it these last couple weeks. There really are only two choices. Warren and Harris.
Biden's number one was having someone ready to be pres on day one. Of all the names, these two are the only ones that fit that bill. I am one of those people. I love Warren very much. But like I said before, to not go with a woman of color right now would be a big misstep in my opinion. But almost two months to decide, may bring a different perspective.

Does anyone know how that works if Biden does one term? Does Biden serve out the term and then endorse the VP, and then the VP has to go through the whole primary process again? Could Biden effectively "step down" in the last week or month of the his term and literally make his VP pres??

I think that Warren would be more useful in a different role than VP. Like I said Senate Majority Leader (this is a dream b/c of Chuck Schumer) or Treasury Secretary. The VP role is not that important BUT let's not forget that Biden is old and may not serve a second term. If he were to die (not to be morbid), Warren would be a far, far better president than Kamala Harris in my view. That's just about the only reason to keep her on the list.

Nobody can tell you how Biden will exit if he decides to serve only one term. He could leave early and "gift" the VP with the power of incumbency, but he'd have to do this fairly early on, like no later than 3 years in. The VP would then participate in the same primary process as an incumbent - obviously though you'd have far more people tossing their hat in should it play out this way so it's not a guaranteed path to nomination.

I don't know what the rules are about stepping down in the month or so before (at some point, ballots are finalized) but that is a terrible idea because even if possible it's ultimately undemocratic.

I've been told by a reporter friend that it's Warren and Harris and any other name being tossed around is merely that person's team trying to promote themselves by making it seem as if they might be a possibilty. And that Kamala is in the lead.

He writes for a periodical or note, so I tend to believe him - even if it means my +1600 bet on Abrams is down the shitter now.

LOL. You gotta see this asshole talking about his "police reform"

No specifics.
"I'll tell you. We are working on it" We are going to find new powerful non-lethal weapons, cost is no option"
Law Enforcement has told me that we need a tracking system for officers with problems. They say, anything you can do would be great. And I can tell you, we're working on that, in a big way. LOL

Nobody has ever delivered results like we have delivered. Not even close folks. We got it done powerfully.

I've been told by a reporter friend that it's Warren and Harris and any other name being tossed around is merely that person's team trying to promote themselves by making it seem as if they might be a possibilty. And that Kamala is in the lead.

congratulations. with this post, you've officially become a credible resident of Washington DC, where we get (usually correct) political info from our friends, neighbors, and hairdressers before anyone else.

congratulations. with this post, you've officially become a credible resident of Washington DC, where we get (usually correct) political info from our friends, neighbors, and hairdressers before anyone else.
tenor.gif

Larry Kudlow thinks systemic racism doesn't exist because white people voted for Obama, twice. The rest of the interview is just as ignorant.

Typical white privilege guy

Larry Kudlow thinks systemic racism doesn't exist because white people voted for Obama, twice. The rest of the interview is just as ignorant.

Typical white privilege guy

That was embarrassing to watch. white privilege at its highest and most ignorant.

p.s. - Can we all agree that we dodged a bullet with Bloomberg not getting the nomination.
I believe he would have been.. how do you say??? Fucked.

Biden would serve out the term, but most definitely would announce early enough that he wouldn't run for re-election and throw his support behind his VP, thereby making the primary process a moot point - it would essentially be the same as an incumbent running for re-election.

Of course, if there was a universal dislike for the VP that fractured the Democratic party, then all bets are off. The last time a sitting President decided not to run (Johnson in 1968), it was wide open as the country had turned on LBJ and his VP, Hubert Humphrey, especially when Robert Kennedy joined the fray.

People were hinting yesterday that today was going to be a bad day for Trump.

I was guessing it was the FL and MI polling.
Which I’m sure it was.

But I just saw Georgia- Biden +2

And just for a kicker. Mississippi - Trump is up just 9.

I know polls don’t matter 4.5 months out but this is really starting to look like a massive dumpster fire.

On the COVID side of things, everything is reopening except Arizona is now teetering on the edge and there are other southern states which, according to models, will have their healthcare systems overwhelmed in the September-October timeframe. You know full well that Trump won’t let those governors impose another lockdown, which might result in an even worse situation than models currently predict.

On the BLM side, everyone knows he’s racist, he has no plan, and the Democrats will not give him an inch on this - there is zero chance legislation is passed without them getting 100% of what they want, which is in diametrically opposed to what his base wants.

The economy is making a good recovery, but I think that we’re well beyond the point of voting on that basis alone.

I know polls don’t matter 4.5 months out but this is really starting to look like a massive dumpster fire.

On the COVID side of things, everything is reopening except Arizona is now teetering on the edge and there are other southern states which, according to models, will have their healthcare systems overwhelmed in the September-October timeframe. You know full well that Trump won’t let those governors impose another lockdown, which might result in an even worse situation than models currently predict.

On the BLM side, everyone knows he’s racist, he has no plan, and the Democrats will not give him an inch on this - there is zero chance legislation is passed without them getting 100% of what they want, which is in diametrically opposed to what his base wants.

The economy is making a good recovery, but I think that we’re well beyond the point of voting on that basis alone.

I was just thinking about this. I think there is some real hope that this lead has some staying power. The number of undecideds is way down from last time. If people are bailing on Trump because of COVID/BLM etc... What would bring them back. Sure some may stray back if the economy comes back strong. But i think some people are more sophisticated and know that Trump has nothing to do with the economy rebounding. It's businesses and companies hiring people back. The thing that made that happen was a Democratic lead bill to give them relief.

Is he going to stop being racist? Is he going to stop praising police and praise protesters? Is he going to boldly lead with empathy and compassion? I mean the stone is being set here. People know who he is. So yes, states like GA and NC may slip away. But WI, MI, AZ are looking good, Florida is cautiously good, PA is good, but needs some quality polls to be done. I am hoping that the whole Tulsa thing backfires in some way. As long as Trump keeps being himself, then we have real hope.

Well at least you know Dingleberry Donald hasn't a clue what the SC decision was or if there even was one.

https://twitter.com/AlexPattyy/status/1272625698893713413
Dingleberry!? Bwaaahahahhaaaaaaa :lol:

Putin will be paying a visit to Diemen.
:panic: :panic: :panic: Watch out!

That was embarrassing to watch. white privilege at its highest and most ignorant.

p.s. - Can we all agree that we dodged a bullet with Bloomberg not getting the nomination.
I believe he would have been.. how do you say??? Fucked.
Yup, quite probably.

And I feel that's another thing that will, or at least should, hopefully change when it comes to how people vote in the future. I know the whole "it's the economy" mantra has been a thing for a long time now, and I know that that's the thing people always point to as the main factor in which direction voters go.

But I also hope that people will also start to see that how a president conducts themselves on other issues, namely social ones, should be another very important factor in deciding whether they should be elected to office.

And the GOP Police Reform bill follows the same nonsense as Trumps executive order.

They "discourage" chokeholds and no-knock warrants.

This is like the Susan Collins of bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom