US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's his birthday today too. Oh crap, forgot to send him a card.

The Guardian

Amid widespread comment about his apparent difficulty walking down a ramp at West Point on Saturday, Donald Trump tweeted a predictably angry and dismissive response.

“The ramp that I descended after my West Point commencement speech was very long and steep,” the president wrote, “had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery. The last thing I was going to do is ‘fall’ for the Fake News to have fun with. Final ten feet I ran down to level ground. Momentum!”

In equally familiar fashion, the tweet only stoked the flames, prompting observers to note that West Point superintendent Darryl A Williams did not seem to find the ramp difficult, and that Trump did not in fact run its last section, instead taking just a few quicker steps.

Others noted that, as so often, Trump had previously tweeted a complaint about his predecessor … running down a slope.

“The way President Obama runs down the stairs of Air Force 1,” Trump wrote on 22 April 2014, “hopping & bobbing all the way, is so inelegant and unpresidential. Do not fall!

Footage was also uncovered of Obama walking confidently up a ramp at West Point.

Trump, who turned 74 on Sunday, was the oldest person ever to assume the presidency, after an election in which he questioned the health of his opponent, Hillary Clinton, notably mockingly imitating her stumble at a 9/11 memorial ceremony in New York. Speculation about Trump’s health has duly dogged his time in office.

Such speculation continued on Saturday with regard to an unscheduled visit to hospital last November, which the White House said at the time was for Trump’s annual physical. No such results have yet been published.

Observers focused on Trump’s familiar use of two hands to drink from a bottle of water during his West Point visit.

Bandy Lee, a Yale psychiatrist and editor of The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, wrote on Twitter: “This is a persistent neurological sign that, combined with others, would be concerning enough to require a brain scan.”

Trump’s apparent struggles with the ramp echoed scenes from January 2017, shortly after his inauguration, when he seemed unsteady while walking on a gentle slope at the White House and took the then British prime minister Theresa May awkwardly by the hand.

Of Trump’s walk down the ramp at West Point, Lee added: “The uneven gait is something I have remarked at least since his fall visit to Walter Reed, and a forward-leaning posture is associated with the difficulty holding a cup. Note that there has not been an annual report on his health this year.”

The fact that he’s now made his obvious neuro impairment an acceptable point of discussion is fabulous.

Also the GOP Senators up for election are collectively and individually going down in flames basically all around the country. Turtle will have to make a decision soon about how much staying Senate Majority Leader mean$ to him.

Just updating the large swings we are seeing away from Trump - and this is mostly happening in "red states" will they still be red in 2020? Sure, but the dramatic swing is still very telling about what is happening across the country and the mood of the electorate.

TN in 2016 - Trump +26
Latest poll has Trump up 9.

He won Kentucky by 30 points
Latest poll has him up 17

Won Michigan by .3%
Latest poll Trump down 15 points.

Missouri 2016 - Trump +19
Now - Trump + 6

AZ 2016 Trump +4
Now - Biden +4

OH 2016 - Trump +8
Now - tied

Utah 2016 - Trump +18
Now - Trump + 10

Texas 2016 - Trump +9
Now - Trump +1.5

Washington state 2016 - Trump lost by 16
Now - Trump down 26

South Carolina 2016 - Trump +15
Now - Trump +8

Again, the swing states are still really tight - with TX, FL, GA, AZ, WI, NC being the most important, and have only shifted maybe 3-5 points blue. Although now we can add OH, and IA as actual swing states because of Trumps weakness. Just interesting to see that there is what seems to be about an 8 to 15 point shift away from Trump in many states across the country.

Just a quick question. Is anyone here a veteran? Does anyone have military family or friends that they are close with and may talk politics?

Heard James Carville the other night say that he has always known the military to be about 75-80% republican, but from talking with his veteran friends now, that Trump may struggle to break 30-40%.
I'm a bit skeptical, but wondered if anyone in that world, is seeing anything that would suggest that.

The fact that he’s now made his obvious neuro impairment an acceptable point of discussion is fabulous.

Also the GOP Senators up for election are collectively and individually going down in flames basically all around the country. Turtle will have to make a decision soon about how much staying Senate Majority Leader mean$ to him.

Yeah, this is going to be very interesting. Up until this last month, it looked like Mitch could kind of hold onto the fact that while they would lose a couple seats, they would probably hang on. Now... It's looking closer to a tie or a couple seat swing to Dems.

From the underlying polling, it looks like this is being driven a lot by - seniors.
Looks like Biden's 20 point swing with seniors (from 2016) that his coat tails down ballot with this group is a making a big difference.

And beyond that, Trump as usual is his own worst enemy. He caused the senior shift with his Covid response. He picked fights now with MI, NV, FL (seniors and Puerto Ricans), and now most recently NC with the convention.
Three of those are some of the most consequential states in the 2020 election.

US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

Just updating the large swings we are seeing away from Trump - and this is mostly happening in "red states" will they still be red in 2020? Sure, but the dramatic swing is still very telling about what is happening across the country and the mood of the electorate.

TN in 2016 - Trump +26
Latest poll has Trump up 9.

He won Kentucky by 30 points
Latest poll has him up 17

Won Michigan by .3%
Latest poll Trump down 15 points.

Missouri 2016 - Trump +19
Now - Trump + 6

AZ 2016 Trump +4
Now - Biden +4

OH 2016 - Trump +8
Now - tied

Utah 2016 - Trump +18
Now - Trump + 10

Texas 2016 - Trump +9
Now - Trump +1.5

Washington state 2016 - Trump lost by 16
Now - Trump down 26

South Carolina 2016 - Trump +15
Now - Trump +8

Again, the swing states are still really tight - with TX, FL, GA, AZ, WI, NC being the most important, and have only shifted maybe 3-5 points blue. Although now we can add OH, and IA as actual swing states because of Trumps weakness. Just interesting to see that there is what seems to be about an 8 to 15 point shift away from Trump in many states across the country.

Most of these swings you listed are really luxuries. All Biden has to do is retain the states Hillary won and take back MI, WI, and PA, and it’s done.

I would also not discount the hidden Trump vote we like we saw last time.

If the lead is 4, assume the lead is 2. Don't leave anything to chance.

The problem is that they're not really hidden. Initially there were a lot of theories about how people were too embarrassed to say that they were going to vote for Trump when polled. The reality is that most of the hidden voters are those who simply are not reached by polls and haven't been. The genius - in the Trump victory and in Brexit - is having reached people who had been entirely outside of the political process their entire lives and getting them to vote. You don't even need a whole lot of them - just the right number in a few right places.

That was one of the issue with the state polls. But on the flip side, it now becomes a challenge for Trump - lightning doesn't strike twice and mining for more people who are totally apolitical and have no clue as to what's going on is virtually impossible this year. COVID-19 mostly and BLM subsequently have forced people to tune in, directly or indirectly.

Almost all the bad breaks are going in the GOP direction - most richly deserved.

However, as Bruce says, no retreat, no surrender. Heaven knows what this band of criminals is capable of in October. A vaccine, even if largely ineffective, is not beyond them.

Let’s not forget that Manafort shared polling data with Russians (and was it Cambridge Analytics too?) which probably allowed them to fine tune their message and thread the needle.

Most of these swings you listed are really luxuries. All Biden has to do is retain the states Hillary won and take back MI, WI, and PA, and it’s done.

Headache is right that you can bet with on the ground voter interference, purging rolls, shutting polling places, denying vote by mail, you can easily add 2-3 for Trump, putting PA, NC, AZ, FL, all in dead heat.

I know that the states I listed are luxuries. But Biden can't win by a little. This must be an outright destruction of Trumpism and Rep. Senators. period.

If it's not. Trump leaves with much more influence than he would otherwise.

Just to revisit after the whole #trumpnotwell thing yesterday. It's hard to deny. This isn't Trump "trying to look tough by sticking out his chest" This is an extremely strange front leaning tilt of the body. When you stick out your chest, your back is tilted backward, not leaned forward.
And it seems to track pretty perfectly with the symptoms. Add this on top of being a sociopath, and Jesus, an unstable monster would be an understatement.

https://twitter.com/CleverBib/status/1271989718264147968

EacD57gU0AAFKf0

Although now we can add OH, and IA as actual swing states because of Trumps weakness. Just interesting to see that there is what seems to be about an 8 to 15 point shift away from Trump in many states across the country.

I really hope Iowa does go blue. Even if Biden does wind up winning the election, it'd be so depressing if my state remained as one of the ones that went for Trump twice.

I know that the states I listed are luxuries. But Biden can't win by a little. This must be an outright destruction of Trumpism and Rep. Senators. period.

If it's not. Trump leaves with much more influence than he would otherwise.

Agreed. I want there to be absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the country at large is beyond done with Trump and his shit. Trump voters shouldn't have anything left to crow about after this election.

Just to revisit after the whole #trumpnotwell thing yesterday. It's hard to deny. This isn't Trump "trying to look tough by sticking out his chest" This is an extremely strange front leaning tilt of the body. When you stick out your chest, your back is tilted backward, not leaned forward.
And it seems to track pretty perfectly with the symptoms. Add this on top of being a sociopath, and Jesus, an unstable monster would be an understatement.

https://twitter.com/CleverBib/status/1271989718264147968

EacD57gU0AAFKf0

Stop sharing this, it’s misinformation.

How is it misinformation? It's a theory.

I don't necessarily buy into it, but it's not totally made up. I don't understand when people say that he stands like that because he wears lifts - what an absurd idea, do you see women in high heels assume that pose? In fact, anyone who has worn stilettos knows that you in fact shift you weight into your heels to stay stable - leaning forward like this would be just about the least comfortable/safe position.

I don't necessarily buy into it, but it's not totally made up. I don't understand when people say that he stands like that because he wears lifts - what an absurd idea, do you see women in high heels assume that pose? In fact, anyone who has worn stilettos knows that you in fact shift you weight into your heels to stay stable - leaning forward like this would be just about the least comfortable/safe position.

It’s literally someone’s Microsoft paint job at splicing together the way a fucking obese centaur of a man stands with an 1800s sketch of a man and a disease name.

Sharing a picture of his posture and playing WebMD with some convenient pictures and selective facts is not a diagnosis and is irresponsible and absolutely misinformation. Twitter is not a doctor.

There are other things that could be causing the issues we see in Trump and arm chair MDs should stop saying that he (and every older candidate btw) absolutely has dementia because a) you don't know, and b) it lessens the evilness of this administration.

"He's a piece of shit" works just fine.

And if you must play arm chair MD with Trump? Syphilis is the much more entertaining diagnosis.

Last edited:
There are other things that could be causing the issues we see in Trump and arm chair MDs should stop saying that he (and every older candidate btw) absolutely has dementia because a) you don't know, and b) it lessens the evilness of this administration.

"He's a piece of shit" works just fine.

And if you must play arm chair MD with Trump? Syphilis is the much more entertaining diagnosis.

I don't like all the focusing in on his dementia (yes, he has it) because one day that will be used as an excuse. As you say, he's a piece of shit and always has been.

However, there is an important distinction to be made - it is one thing for the GOP to support a piece of shit. That's their prerogative and ultimately there isn't anything "wrong" with it per se. It is entirely another thing if they are covering up his real medical files and covering for a man who is literally unable to lead the nation due to severe mental impairment. That is unconscionable and they all have to be held to account.

Unrelated, but this is a pretty big burn:

https://youtu.be/g5Xpwyd4aMM

I mean, we all knew Trump cut off health insurance for his nephew with cerebral palsy as retaliation for that side of the family contesting the Trump Sr will, so you can only imagine what this woman will be ready to unload.

Sharp as a knife and dry like a desert! :lol:

Yeah. Otherwise your prone to leaning more forward, and more precarious! Because way back my ankles were weaker (pronation) I only tried serious pumps in a friend's house. Thicker lower> 1 1/2 - 2 inches were my go to.
Tai Chi strengthened my ankles later on! :up:

Hey, headache>>>
That sudden Drumph visit you mentioned Last Fall is coming up again as per relating to "Rampgate" and Waterglassgate (just made that one up :D) !

Last edited:
this is a big deal. i'd forgotten what good news feels like. maybe we can have nice things?

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled Monday that a landmark civil rights law protects LGBT people from discrimination in employment, a resounding victory for LGBT rights from a conservative court.

The court decided by a 6-3 vote that a key provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 known as Title VII that bars job discrimination because of sex, among other reasons, encompasses bias against LGBT workers.

“An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids,” Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote for the court.

https://apnews.com/ef3c19a79b65c060fd9e82b9dd87a1d9

that's right. Gorsuch wrote the 6-3 majority opinion that you can't fire someone for being gay.

racking my brain, but i'm not sure where else it is legally possible to discriminate against LGBTQ+ people. this could be total legal equality? in many ways, this is more important than marriage. i suppose there could be a federal Equality Act, and Conversion Therapy is still out there.

this is, however, what real change looks like. the Overton window was moved in 2003 in Massachusetts when the first same-sex marriages, and then the real work began.

the people who voted for Trump solely on the basis of SCOTUS must be banging their heads against the wall this morning.

and since SCOTUS is totally politicized, i think they (and especially John Roberts) have read the tea leaves: anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, whether religiously motivated or not, has been relegated to the basket of deplorables, alongside racism, anti-semitism, and sexist. all will continue to exist, gay people will still be beaten in the streets, but at least it won't be reflected in our laws.

intereference played a big part in my understanding of my life as a gay man, insofar as here is where i came to write down my political thoughts, and share some of my life, because the relative anonymity allowed me to do so. this was a very different place in 2003/4, America (and the western world) was a different place in 2003/4, and there were people who were seemingly well meaning ("civil unions should be fine") to the clearly discriminatory ("it's against the Bible") to those feigning concern as a way to wrap their bigotry in something seemingly kinder ("I just think all children need a mother and a father.") here was where i sharpened my arguments, was forced to do more research on the fly, and think and write, and think and write some more.

it almost feels like this is the end of a road. i can't force anyone to like me. if your book and your sky friend think i'm going to hell, well, that's fine, but you really can't do anything about it legally.

this is how it happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom