US Politics XXII: Idk About You, But This Is Thread 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too early for polls to matter, but still notable that Biden is +9 nationally in a new Monmouth poll and Hickenlooper is up +18 on Gardner for the Senate seat in Colorado.

You have to wonder at what point Mitch McConnell starts sweating. Because if that day comes, he will serve up Trump's ass on a platter to save his own.

Too early for polls to matter, but still notable that Biden is +9 nationally in a new Monmouth poll and Hickenlooper is up +18 on Gardner for the Senate seat in Colorado.

You have to wonder at what point Mitch McConnell starts sweating. Because if that day comes, he will serve up Trump's ass on a platter to save his own.

Yeah, maybe people can fill in some gaps for me here on the Senate races, but:

NC now looking much better
Iowa is about tied
As you said, Hickenlooper looks to have CO sewn up
Michigan looks sewn up
Kelly ahead in AZ
Freaking Kansas is tied
Maine is tied
Limited polling show Bullock leaning ahead in Montana

My bet is that the slimy turtle is already sweating a bit...

Anyone think that Trump trying to open things up again quickly, knowing that we will see a rise in deaths, is a much more cruel long play plan, of thinking if the virus is still bad enough into the fall, that it will be a low turnout election, rather than trying to get the economy back on track?

Just a thought.

I'm not sure he's smart enough for that, but S Miller is.
:crack: :sad: :crack:

The more sinister side of letting the virus wash over the country is that it’ll have a larger impact on minority groups. And you bet he’s hoping that more brown deaths mean lower turnouts in November.

That could also backfire on the GOP, too, though...a lot of their base is elderly, and yet they seem more than okay with letting them die in order to save our economy.

Yet again I say, though, from Trump on down, every single politician and pundit who benefited financially from this crisis, who pushed dangerous misinformation and "advice", who encouraged these "protest" groups to walk around armed and intimidate people into doing their bidding, deserves to be punished for their roles in this mess when the time comes. Jail time, fines, being barred from ever being able to get involved in politics ever again or show up on TV to spout their bullshit...you name it, it all needs to be done. We need to go scorched earth on every last one of these assholes and make them pay.

I don't know if it will be so much a concerted "make them pay" type thing. It definitely will be for a lot of people like me), but I was going to vote against them already. But where this election will be won (hopefully) will be the wearing down and final breaking points for people that may not have voted for Dems until now. Their acceptance that Trump and the GOP in general has shown itself to be more greedy, corrupt and heartless than ever before.
They saw how none of them stood up to Trump on anything. And every time Trump did something, (the wall, kids in cages, Russia, Ukraine, Covid, etc... the list goes on sooooo very long) There was a group of more moderate-minded republicans that stepped away, or at least started to waiver on Trump. There were people that turned on their GOP Congressperson or Senator because they stood by kissing Trumps ass.

This is why Biden being the Dem nominee is particularly fortunate this time around. Those people slowly peeling off or wavering, may not have jumped over to vote for Sanders or Warren, or Harris or Pete. But the two biggest groups that are in play are suburban voters, particularly suburban college educated women, and for the first time maybe ever, 60yr old + voters. Biden is a safe port in the storm for these groups that are just exhausted by the constant bullshit and incompetence.

I also think that Trump may have dug his own grave with the Electoral College. Even if everything stayed the same from 2016 (which it will not) I think that Trump's feud with MI's governor was not smart. His shitting on Puerto Rico, was not wise for a group that makes up 6% of FL's population. I'm confident MI will go blue, and now feel that FL is actually not going to kick us in the balls like it did in 2016 and 2018. (I know, I may regret this remark)

Add to that - these idiots that are out with automatic weapons in state houses and capital buildings. Thank them for one thing. Confirming suburban educated voters that they do not want to be part of that shit. Energizing African American voters who just shake their head and go to the polls and vote.

So I do think Trump will pay. I think more than 3 or 4 Senators will pay. I keep dreaming that there will just be this moment of voters saying, enough of this shit, and there being this monumental wave, where Trump loses in a landslide and Dems pick up 7 or 8 Senate seats, including McConnell's.

aaaaaahhhhh.... I know, i know. but i can dream.

Side note -
Just saw that the latest poll in SC was taken 2/28-3/02 - So pre-Covid. And Trump was only up by 4.
That's fairly shocking. It is just one poll. But it was a reputable one.

I don't know if it will be so much a concerted "make them pay" type thing. It definitely will be for a lot of people like me), but I was going to vote against them already. But where this election will be won (hopefully) will be the wearing down and final breaking points for people that may not have voted for Dems until now. Their acceptance that Trump and the GOP in general has shown itself to be more greedy, corrupt and heartless than ever before.
They saw how none of them stood up to Trump on anything. And every time Trump did something, (the wall, kids in cages, Russia, Ukraine, Covid, etc... the list goes on sooooo very long) There was a group of more moderate-minded republicans that stepped away, or at least started to waiver on Trump. There were people that turned on their GOP Congressperson or Senator because they stood by kissing Trumps ass.

This is why Biden being the Dem nominee is particularly fortunate this time around. Those people slowly peeling off or wavering, may not have jumped over to vote for Sanders or Warren, or Harris or Pete. But the two biggest groups that are in play are suburban voters, particularly suburban college educated women, and for the first time maybe ever, 60yr old + voters. Biden is a safe port in the storm for these groups that are just exhausted by the constant bullshit and incompetence.

I also think that Trump may have dug his own grave with the Electoral College. Even if everything stayed the same from 2016 (which it will not) I think that Trump's feud with MI's governor was not smart. His shitting on Puerto Rico, was not wise for a group that makes up 6% of FL's population. I'm confident MI will go blue, and now feel that FL is actually not going to kick us in the balls like it did in 2016 and 2018. (I know, I may regret this remark)

Add to that - these idiots that are out with automatic weapons in state houses and capital buildings. Thank them for one thing. Confirming suburban educated voters that they do not want to be part of that shit. Energizing African American voters who just shake their head and go to the polls and vote.

So I do think Trump will pay. I think more than 3 or 4 Senators will pay. I keep dreaming that there will just be this moment of voters saying, enough of this shit, and there being this monumental wave, where Trump loses in a landslide and Dems pick up 7 or 8 Senate seats, including McConnell's.

aaaaaahhhhh.... I know, i know. but i can dream.

Oh, yeah, I fully agree with all of this, and your analysis about the things that will motivate people to come out and vote (I especially like your point about Trump making the mistake of going after states that could hurt him in regards to the electoral college). I too think, and hope like hell, that this election will send a huge message to the GOP, and they suffer a significant, and well deserved, defeat.

I was just thinking about what we need to do in terms of legal options, or other kinds of responses, beyond that to make these people face the consequences, too, is all. Something to show once and for all that they can't get away with this kind of incompetence and cruelty, and something that can hopefully send a message to any future politicians who want to try similar moves that if they do so, they'll face the same kind of punishment. Because sure, we can vote them out, but if they don't get held accountable any further, then they're just going to try and find ways to pull this same kind of shit again.

Oh, yeah, I fully agree with all of this, and your analysis about the things that will motivate people to come out and vote (I especially like your point about Trump making the mistake of going after states that could hurt him in regards to the electoral college). I too think, and hope like hell, that this election will send a huge message to the GOP, and they suffer a significant, and well deserved, defeat.

I was just thinking about what we need to do in terms of legal options, or other kinds of responses, beyond that to make these people face the consequences, too, is all. Something to show once and for all that they can't get away with this kind of incompetence and cruelty, and something that can hopefully send a message to any future politicians who want to try similar moves that if they do so, they'll face the same kind of punishment. Because sure, we can vote them out, but if they don't get held accountable any further, then they're just going to try and find ways to pull this same kind of shit again.

Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating. Actually... infuriating and disgusting. I hope there could be more that we could do beyond the vote. But when you are allowed to come into the capital building with assault rifles, well, that sort of just shows you where we are in so many places in this country.
I will say is this. The one thing above all that drives politicians, is power. The GOP uses hate, fear and misinformation to retain it. Dems, for the most part, try to use hope, and caring for your fellow Americans to retain their support.
Well fear and disinformation certainly won in 2016. But if, like you said, this election will bring a large, sweeping defeat that sends a message, of what the majority of Americans will and will not allow from their government and its representatives. And maybe when GOP politicians wake up on November 4th, that message will register with them just a little bit, because their power will be stripped away.

Imagine if they wake up to a President Biden, A 52-47 Senate, and a Dem controlled Congress. They will know it's because of Trump and how they were doormats for four years. They will know that it was because of the conspiracy ridden, gun toting, pieces of shit that were screaming at healthcare workers during a pandemic.
Imagine if they lose states like FL, OH, or GA. It will be a come to Jesus moment.

On a more cynical note. While this could temper the shittiness of the Rep Party, the flip side is that if they lose big. They really have no other playbook anymore, and with age and race demos shifting in a way that will soon grind their party into the dust, they may actually go even harder into the fear, hate and misinformation, because they will be like a cornered dog.
But let's hope for the former and not the latter.

I hope that the election isn’t close - if it’s obvious that Trump lost and if the Senate flips there is more of a chance of acceptance, at least among the not-totally-batshit crazies. Those are a lost cause either way.

It was nice to be reminded yesterday that it was Biden who forced Obama to show his hand in support of SSM back in 2012.

I can begin to imagine Biden winning by a large margin, but over the course of his term nothing changes on a fundamental level - potentially opening the door for a god forbid, halfway competent Republican who is just as reactionary as Trump.

I can begin to imagine Biden winning by a large margin, but over the course of his term nothing changes on a fundamental level - potentially opening the door for a god forbid, halfway competent Republican who is just as reactionary as Trump.

It’s wonderful watching the Left slowly but surely convince themsleves that the only moral thing to do is to vote for Trump and/or to stop the Democrats so that people can continue to suffer and be purified by that suffering so that they will one day realize that The Left is correct and always has been and now they are ready for the real people’s revolution.

I think a Biden Presidency will see loads of progress, but much of it will be from reversing literally everything Trump has done. On top of that i think some progressive ideas can pull through, especially if Dems take the senate.

What scares me the most about Biden is the potential for him to forgive or absolve the GOP of their sins. Thinking his “friends” on the other side were blackmailed or surviving against the Trump admin.

The GOP must be held accountable for the last four (should say 40) years. What they have done just since Trump took over goes far beyond politics. They’re evil. We’re somewhat lucky they’re also really fucking stupid.

If they are not held accountable, shamed on Election Day by getting thrown out, and forced out of policy making then we run the risk of another version of Trump. A more vile, sinister, and competent type of politician. Someone like Tom Cotton. A sociopath who appears normal to the masses and plays the game.

Example my parents are liberal, tho my dad leans a little towards the Mittens Republican (his days as Governor vs now).

They both thought Tom Cotton appeared to be a bright young man. Until the pandemic and he started spouting off his Chinese virus and war mongering.

My hope is that election 2020 kills off the Sarah Palin politician. No Ivanka or Junior for 2024. But what comes next the Dems have to be 100% prepared for cause it could be much more difficult to beat

It’s wonderful watching the Left slowly but surely convince themsleves that the only moral thing to do is to vote for Trump and/or to stop the Democrats so that people can continue to suffer and be purified by that suffering so that they will one day realize that The Left is correct and always has been and now they are ready for the real people’s revolution.

this looks like fun, maybe after work i'll build a strawman to feel morally superior over too.

Last edited:
this looks like fun, maybe after work i'll build a strawman to feel morally superior over too.

This is where the conversation is heading. An argument was recently put forward that, since Biden won’t give us what we need on global warming, we might as well vote for Trump since there will be no material difference between the two candidates. Logically, we should destroy moderate Democrats first, because they are the ones really standing in the way of the Left Democrats.

This has been the MO of certain media since at least 2016. They wind up siding with Putin in order to spite Hillary Clinton.

And the beat goes on.

This is where the conversation is heading. An argument was recently put forward that, since Biden won’t give us what we need on global warming, we might as well vote for Trump since there will be no material difference between the two candidates. Logically, we should destroy moderate Democrats first, because they are the ones really standing in the way of the Left Democrats.

This has been the MO of certain media since at least 2016. They wind up siding with Putin in order to spite Hillary Clinton.

And the beat goes on.

"an argument was recently put forward" by who? i highly doubt you read anything like that from a reputable media source.

idiotic accelerationists who want to burn the world down to make it better have been around on both sides in various forms since at least the french revolution.

they are nothing more than a small (but loud on twitter, sure) fringe that speaks for "The Left" as much as nazbols and sovereign citizens speak for "The Right".

nobody except violent extremists, adolescents, and sociopaths holds accelerationist positions like you've described and it's extremely disingenuous to assert so boldly that "The Left" as a whole is uniformly moving towards this stance.

That’s fair. It’s not all The Left. But there are voices in here who are the accelerationists you describe.

That’s fair. It’s not all The Left. But there are voices in here who are the accelerationists you describe.

seriously? you actually think there are leftists on this forum who are so morally and ethically bankrupt that they actively wish for suffering and death in order to pave the way for "the real people’s revolution"?

Last edited:
No one active on this forum has ever said or even implied anything remotely close to what Dave described above.

Call it the Susan Sarandon standard — hoping for moderate Democrats to lose, so they’ll wise up and go further Left next time. Then, punish the moderate Democrats however you can, root for them to lose elections, attack any attempt to address outside malfeasance in the election (Russia) so that you can continue to lay blame for 2016 solely at the feet of Hillary Clinton. And repeat. The result is the election of more Trump, which results in suffering and death. But this is worth it, Ms Sarandon said, for the future.

This is not remotely controversial as a thing. This was around in 2016. It is around today.

ah my bad, i didn't realize you were speaking about well-known leftist accelerationist susan sarandon, whose opinions broadly reflect those of The Left.

No one active on this forum has ever said or even implied anything remotely close to what Dave described above.

Directly? Of course not.

However...

The result is the election of more Trump, which results in suffering and death.

This is real.

My dad's a Trump supporter. It bothers me greatly. Eats away at me sometimes. I've never known my dad to be someone who hates; someone who is racist. I still don't. Yet I have to come to counter that with his support of an evil, hate filled, racist regime.

By his supporting Trump, he is supporting all of these things.

He can deny it, sure. But his denial rings hollow. He's been brainwashed. He's so far down the Fox News /conservative talk radio rabbit hole that he can't even see the results of his actions. The slow response to the pandemic, or the firing of the pandemic response team? Totally Obama's fault.

I still love my dad. I just refuse to discuss anything even remotely political with him because he's gone. He refuses to see Trump's actions for what they are.

So do I think there are any members here who are actively hoping that people die? That we descend further into the chaos and decay? Of course not.

Do I believe there are those who want to see Biden lose specifically in hopes of bringing Democrats further left? Are there those here who support and amplify those who have that as their primary objective? Yea, I do.

And by supporting that, you're supporting the end result - which is more Trump. You can deny it, but you are.

This doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad person. But you're gone. You're so far down a road that you can't see what the end result of your actions and the actions of those you support and amplify are.

So when the collective of rose emoji Twitter continues to jab and knock down the Democratic candidate at every turn, just like in 2016... sowing doubt in the candidate and pushing the oh so small number of undecideds to Trump? Totally the establishment democrat's fault for not listening to them.

Last edited:
So when the collective of rose emoji Twitter continues to jab and knock down the Democratic candidate at every turn, just like in 2016... sowing doubt in the candidate and pushing the oh so small number of undecideds to Trump? Totally the establishment democrat's fault for not listening to them.

it's almost as if the party establishment being openly hostile to one particular wing of the party over and over again might eventually inspire some anger and resentment among those people, or something.

i'm not saying they're right to be doing what they're doing, but it's not like the backlash is unjustifiable and unprovoked. the party establishment holds its own share of the blame for the current state of affairs. i'm pretty sure every single one of us has written a "they're really bad at this" post about the DNC at some point in the last four years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom