US Politics XXII: Idk About You, But This Is Thread 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I lived there (for the most part) until I was 18 in 1993. Younger years in Appleton, later outside Milwaukee, And came back 2 years later and went to UW Madison. Incredible town.
The state was having a nice blue streak. Madison, blue collar workers, unions, and then with Scott Walker, and Reins Pubis, and Paul Ryan, came an unleashing of corrupt dirty tricks out of the state house.
I'm afraid for 2020 election shenanigans here.

Nice!!! I work in Appleton but live in Green Bay.

I'd love to see what the Saturday night mating ritual in the Conway household consists of.
I assume its the throwing of pots & pans and ashtrays followed by 38 seconds of wild animal sex then loud snoring.

My thought is this is all a good cop bad cop type routine.

Kellyanne will need somewhere to fall after this is over and with George being on the other side it gives her someone and somewhere to land.

They’re both grifters

I'd love to see what the Saturday night mating ritual in the Conway household consists of.
I assume its the throwing of pots & pans and ashtrays followed by 38 seconds of wild animal sex then loud snoring.

You left out that she yells out oh Donald, then the pots and pans and ashtrays start again

[tweet]1253013143732858881[/tweet]

Don't worry, everyone. If you are out of money and out of a job, just go get a job as an essential worker to make up the difference.

Objectively, a job well done with that ad.

Manipulative though.

Anyways, we should now see what Donald Trump’s many fridges look like. You fucking kidding me... how anyone can see this commercial and not wonder how Donald Trump is 100x worse is beyond me.
Of course it's manipulative. The issue is never that the Republicans are worse. Anyone who's not already a full-throated GOP voter can see that. The issue is trying to convince people that the Democrats aren't also out of touch and unable to get anything done to actually help people. And that is the thing the Democrats always have to fight against, because they refuse to stand up for anything beyond "look at the alternative!" Pelosi is the perfect avatar for portraying Democrats as smug and out-of-touch.

The first time around, they could have fought, but they decided to wait for next time:

EWKMIBHWsAAjAQ8

Next time comes around:

EWKMIBJXYAIeDS2

It's always the promise of the next time with the Democrats. You could criticize them as being feckless, unable to understand negotiation and leverage, but this happens far too frequently for me to believe it's not deliberate.

Absolutely, of course regarding Trump's wealth and excess. But the current Trump supporters don't even seem to view him that way at all. They seem to think he's just a plain talking tough guy who loves America and them. Standing up for the little guy.

If they actually cared about his wealth and privilege the whole delusion would be shattered. They'd have to see his narcissism too, and that ain't ever going to happen.

I think they're also trying to get Democrats who are really suffering financially during the pandemic. The ad portrays the highest profile Democrat as not giving a damn about their suffering.
Any idea as to when this interview with Pelosi happened?

:hmm: For many Trump supporters his racism, sexism, anti-imigrantism etc overshadow his wealth, and narcissisim. HH
How many know he got $$$ from his dad when starting out as a relator.

It's on the Democrats to run endless ads about Republican multi-millionaire Senators selling millions of bucks of their stock based on insider trading.
Hopefully this'll be part of ads post Labor Day.
Whatever happened to that? Poof, they got away with it.
:( So far, anyway
donald could show off his diet coke collection.

mcdonald's delivers now so there's definitely no food in there.
:lol:

You left out that she yells out oh Donald, then the pots and pans and ashtrays start again
Bwaaahahahhaaaaaaa! Thanks for that!

[tweet]1253013143732858881[/tweet]

Don't worry, everyone. If you are out of money and out of a job, just go get a job as an essential worker to make up the difference.

Is that really your only takeaway from that entire 5 minutes? I watched the whole thing and he’s cut off right after the single line you’re mocking making it feel as if it was intentional. What would you have him say?

Last edited:
I think it's easy for a very wealthy man to say the things he said. It does create the impression of an ivory tower mentality. I really don't like what he said about domestic violence. Yeah, put up with that because at least you're not dead. That is repulsive to me.

Trump is disgusting, the way he demeans female reporters in these briefings. Yes he demeans all reporters. But lately with his keep your voice down, nice and easy, and more to female reporters. He just did it again.

I wonder if he speaks to Melania that way.

Of course it's manipulative. The issue is never that the Republicans are worse. Anyone who's not already a full-throated GOP voter can see that. The issue is trying to convince people that the Democrats aren't also out of touch and unable to get anything done to actually help people. And that is the thing the Democrats always have to fight against, because they refuse to stand up for anything beyond "look at the alternative!" Pelosi is the perfect avatar for portraying Democrats as smug and out-of-touch.

I'm sorry but are there really on-the-fence/undecided American voters who can truly be persuaded to vote one way or the other who are going to be astonished that Nancy Pelosi is rich? Like, really?

There aren't poor people in the Senate, the Congress or the boardrooms of America. The question is really how rich they are relative to one another.

I'm sorry but are there really on-the-fence/undecided American voters who can truly be persuaded to vote one way or the other who are going to be astonished that Nancy Pelosi is rich? Like, really?

There aren't poor people in the Senate, the Congress or the boardrooms of America. The question is really how rich they are relative to one another.

There are people who justify their vote for republicans because they hate the democrats. Nancy Pelosi being a unlikeable as she is (and Chuck Schumer) can be drawn directly to their political smugness. Similar to Rubio Cruz, Trump, etc.

Joe Biden doesn’t have that smugness, but then again neither did Clinton really.

Some of what I've been saying about who exactly is protesting and organizing the protests.

Lest one think this is a rudderless, organic movement of misguided privileged citizens, think again. The rallies were organized and funded by wealthy, right-wing political groups like the Tea Party Patriots, the Devos-backed Michigan Freedom Fund and the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a GOP-supporting, gun-rights organization. Wisconsin’s much-publicized protest didn’t take place in Milwaukee, where the black population has been ravaged by COVID-19. Instead, it took place in nearby Waukesha County, which is 89.5 percent white and only 1.4 percent black.

There is one other interesting fact about the Waukesha County, home to the downtrodden, huddled masses who are desperate to open up their decimated local economy:

Waukesha County is the wealthiest county in Wisconsin.

https://www.theroot.com/open-the-economy-is-the-new-white-lives-matter-1842987034

There are people who justify their vote for republicans because they hate the democrats. Nancy Pelosi being a unlikeable as she is (and Chuck Schumer) can be drawn directly to their political smugness. Similar to Rubio Cruz, Trump, etc.

Joe Biden doesn’t have that smugness, but then again neither did Clinton really.

As you said, those people hate the Democrats, and are therefore not voting for them.

What "undecided" (because really, we just don't know enough at this point to make an informed choice about Donald Trump) voters will be swayed by Nancy's fridge?

As you said, those people hate the Democrats, and are therefore not voting for them.

What "undecided" (because really, we just don't know enough at this point to make an informed choice about Donald Trump) voters will be swayed by Nancy's fridge?

Some of them will vote for a Joe Biden who says Chinese virus and criticizes Trump for being weak on China, because Joe is a strong man and dont you forget it.

It’s all a game lol

https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status/1253085110066466818

New @FoxNews

state polls out tonight:

Michigan

Biden 49%, Trump 41%

Pennsylvania

Biden 50%, Trump 42%

Bottom line is there won’t be between 8-12% of these states not voting for either of these two candidates, mix that in with coffee turnout and [emoji1304] same shit as Clinton’s polls. Probably a solid amount of people not willing to admit they’re going to vote for Trump, for the record.

The first time around, they could have fought, but they decided to wait for next time:

EWKMIBHWsAAjAQ8

Next time comes around:

EWKMIBJXYAIeDS2

It's always the promise of the next time with the Democrats. You could criticize them as being feckless, unable to understand negotiation and leverage, but this happens far too frequently for me to believe it's not deliberate.

What leverage do they have in these negotiations, though? Is there even a path to winning? My impression is, the Republicans don't really care if a bill is delayed by hours or even days. They'll just wait it out. But the Democrats feel the pressure of urgency. Would it have been realistic to expect the Democrats in the Senate to get Republicans to budge?

McConnell's bullshit should be shot down. The US government doesn't need to worry about debt. It can't go bankrupt. Meanwhile, millions of "job creators" and "hard-working Americans" (to use their vernacular) are amassing debt that will bankrupt them.

This is the crux of the issue. By way of comparison:

When the British economy ground to a halt a few weeks ago, Reda Maher suddenly found himself among the ranks of the unemployed, alongside untold millions of other people around the world.

But unlike many others, Maher can rest easy, knowing that money will keep flowing into his bank account until he's called back to work.

"I woke up a couple of hours later than I normally would. I won't lie," Maher said one afternoon earlier this month. "I took a nice long masked and gloved walk. I've got a remote personal training like fitness session in about 20 minutes."

The United Kingdom recently began paying 80% of the salaries of workers laid off because of the coronavirus pandemic. The government caps the pay at about $3,000 a month, but many employers, including the London-based video streaming service where Maher works, add to what the government hands out.

Maher also doesn't need to worry about being left without health care coverage, thanks to Britain's National Health Service.

Across Europe and in Canada, governments are easing the plight of workers idled because of the coronavirus pandemic by essentially paying part of their salaries, says Gabriel Zucman, a professor of economics at the University of California, Berkeley.

"What it means is that people remain on the books. ... They keep receiving their salaries," Zucman says. "And when social distancing ends, they will just return to work, as if they had been on a long, government-paid leave."

It's much more humane than in the United States, where some 26 million workers have lost their jobs over the past five weeks, Zucman says. Under the American system, workers are typically fired. They file for unemployment benefits and have to look for new work, he says. Many risk losing their health insurance benefits altogether.

Even if they are eventually rehired — and there's no guarantee of that — the experience is brutal and anxiety-ridden, Zucman and fellow Berkeley economist Emmanuel Saez wrote in a recent op-ed in The New York Times.

The European systems are also less disruptive for businesses, who know that when the current crisis ends, they can simply call their employees back to work right away, picking up where they left off.

"It basically means we will survive and we will be able to keep the workforce on board. So that's a pretty powerful tool actually for us," says Alexander Kranki, who runs a software development company near Düsseldorf that employs 130 people.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/23/8380...too-but-jobs-didn-t-disappear-like-in-the-u-s

In Canada, the wage subsidy is 75%, also up to a capped amount. But many businesses are topping up to close to 100% or all the way to 100%.

In Canada, the wage subsidy is 75%, also up to a capped amount. But many businesses are topping up to close to 100% or all the way to 100%.

Still seems to me the most logical, encompassing relief program we could enact in the USA is debt suspension. No rent or mortgage payments, no student loan payments (public or private), and no credit card interest accumulation until shelter orders have passed.

Credit card companies have plenty to subside on and could still charge a nominal transaction fee or something; private landlords are generally using rent money to subsidize their own mortgage anyway, so that might offset. I don't know what the financial situation looks like right now for the major mortgage agencies, but they should be able to absorb a few months' worth of deferment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom