US Politics XXII: Idk About You, But This Is Thread 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
White House has also removed the CDC warnings regarding church choirs and sharing cups.

Jesus Christ.

I don't know why we are surprised anymore. Just wait for some asshole to show up to the protests with the bazooka to start shooting.

I just wonder at what point will Moscow Mitch and gang will realize that their reelection chances are looking worse and worse and finally turn on Trump to save their own seats.

I think that ship has sailed. They are all in on the MAGA train.

I just wonder at what point will Moscow Mitch and gang will realize that their reelection chances are looking worse and worse and finally turn on Trump to save their own seats.

Yeah, the Senate is looking very grim for them right now, and I see no action from Comrade Turtle. None of them have the humanity or the balls or the imagination to go against Trump, even when a study of the midterms showed that the large majority of the seats that Trump endorsed lost.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...publican-seats-us-election-2020-a9537886.html

I feel like there’s two scenarios

One, they’ve given up and are perfectly OK with Trump’s scorched earth policies. Burn America down as they go, and maybe they get lucky to hold on.

Two, they aren’t afraid at all because they’re not going to lose. The game is rigged in their favor, and by letting the country get sick and fight, it only increases their odds. Even without cheating

Any other time in history the GOP would have ditched with these type of polling numbers. But they’re acting like a party that knows they won’t lose power

Orange Lives Matter!

The Daily Beast

Laura Ingraham to Black Americans: Trump Understands Police Violence Because of Russia Probe

Justin Baragona
May 28, 2020, 11:41 PM EDT

Fox News host Laura Ingraham attempted to explain to African-Americans on Thursday night that President Donald Trump can empathize with inequality and police brutality due to his “own experience” with federal investigators during the Russia probe.

With protests raging across the nation over the death of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis police custody, Ingraham lectured protesters over the demonstrations devolving into violence and looting.

After chastising the non-Fox media for supposedly fanning racial flames over the police killing and subsequent protests, Ingraham then decided to address the black community as a whole to tell them how they should properly protest the killing of George Floyd.

“Now, I’m not going to pretend for a millisecond to know what it’s like to be a black person in America,” she said. “I don’t. But the only thing I do know is that we all need to do better.”

Reiterating that we need to “do better,” the conservative Fox News host—who once told LeBron James to “shut up and dribble”—said the “real change agents in America are those who stay in their communities and build them up, not burn them down” before invoking a civil rights icon.

“Rosa Parks is a beloved, global symbol of freedom and justice because of the determination and dignity to which she carried out her civil disobedience,” she said. “Would burning a store have been more powerful and transformative? I don’t think so.”

Without skipping a beat, the pro-Trump Fox star then referenced the president’s anger at the FBI and Justice Department during the Russia investigation to let black people know Trump understands their experience.

“And to our African-American fellow citizens, I say this: Given his own experience with an out-of-control FBI and unfair investigation, given all the work on criminal justice reform, President Trump knows how poisonous and out-of-control law enforcement process can be,” Ingraham proudly declared, concluding her mini-monologue.

I feel like there’s two scenarios

One, they’ve given up and are perfectly OK with Trump’s scorched earth policies. Burn America down as they go, and maybe they get lucky to hold on.

Two, they aren’t afraid at all because they’re not going to lose. The game is rigged in their favor, and by letting the country get sick and fight, it only increases their odds. Even without cheating

Any other time in history the GOP would have ditched with these type of polling numbers. But they’re acting like a party that knows they won’t lose power
Anyone in their party who actually thinks Trump is bad (the number is way lower than you think it is) also knows that going against Trump is a death knell electorally. The base is all-in on him. His polling among GOP voters is through the roof. They can't afford to untie themselves from him.

The GOP has one serious ideological commitment: making money for themselves and their friends and families. Trump helps them do that. The social conservatism is essentially an aesthetic choice at this point.

I think that ship has sailed. They are all in on the MAGA train.

They're in a real bind (and no, I don't feel sorry for them).

On the one hand they need massive MAGA turnout in order to have a fighting chance. On the other hand, suburban educated women and independents hate Trump and each additional disgusting thing he does turns them off more.

This also isn't particularly out of step for the GOP. Peggy Noonan wrote during Katrina that she was hoping they would shoot looters, before the National Guard had even arrived. They've always been craven racists who hate the poor and want them to suffer.

i'm feeling the opposite. they are aware that a tsunami is coming.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/graham-asks-older-judges-to-retire-so-trump-can-replace-them.html

There have been three well-established indicators that Republicans in the Trump era are working to maximize the value of lifetime judicial appointments, far more than Democrats or their predecessors have done.

The first is the ideological vetting machine for federal judicial nominations set up originally by former White House counsel Don McGahn, relying heavily on advice from the conservative Federalist Society.

The second is an increasingly efficient operation for quickly confirming judges in the Senate, supervised by Mitch McConnell, who has made this chore a top priority even during the coronavirus pandemic.

The third is an emphasis on choosing younger judges with longer career lifespans in the federal judiciary, as exemplified by recent D.C. Circuit appointee Justin Walker, who is 37.

And now a fourth prong of the GOP strategy — as articulated by Senate Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham — is appearing at that popular right-wing water cooler, Hugh Hewitt’s radio show, as reported by the Washington Post:

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday urged federal judges who are in their mid-to-late 60s to step aside so that Republicans, increasingly nervous about holding the Senate majority in the November election as they eye President Trump’s poll numbers, can fill the vacancies now …

Depending on the number of years they have served on the bench, judges who are age 65 and older are eligible to take a reduced workload known as “senior status.”

According to a recent analysis by judicial expert Russell Wheeler of the Brookings Institution, a total of 66 court of appeals judges are now or will soon be eligible for senior status. Thirty-eight of those judges are Democratic appointees, while 28 are Republican appointees.

So the idea is to shuffle some old conservative goats off to retirement, making way for some young conservative kids who will be able to serve for two or three decades more. As Graham made clear, there’s no time for dilly-dallying about it since the November election threatens both Trump’s tenure and Graham’s own chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee:

Hewitt asked Graham whether he could assure judges who take senior status now that their successor “will indeed be confirmed before the election.”

“Well, if you wait, you know, November the 1st, no,” Graham said. “So do it now … I need some time.”

Graham also endorsed Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s view that if a Supreme Court vacancy occurs before the November election, the Senate should fill it.

I don’t have any way of knowing exactly which old conservative goats Graham would like to put out to pasture. But there is a bit of a tradition in the judiciary of judges wanting to make sure the party that originally appointed them to the bench gets to pick their successor. That’s probably why Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy made way for his former clerk, Brett Kavanaugh, out of gratitude for the faith Ronald Reagan had in him, even though most Republicans at the time of his retirement thought of him as a baby-killing gay-loving liberal who wanted to submit America to satanic international law.

Graham’s basically reminding older Republican-appointed judges that there’s no time like the present for them to strap on the party harness and do one more solid for the GOP. If it produces a few more appointments and confirmations that are bankable even if Biden wins the White House and Democrats take away the Senate, it will have been worth the effort.

Trump called white nationalists in Charlottesville very fine people. Their actions led to the death of a young woman. They carried torches and chanted racist and anti Semitic slogans. But the people protesting the murder of an African American man by a "police officer" in a
hideous gruesome way in broad daylight, he called thugs.

There you go, what else do people need to know?

But they didn't threaten capital!

If you turn on Fox News it's literally all about the loss of revenue/profit for the burned out stores and the economic impact of having to rebuild/renovate.

You wouldn't know a man was killed. :shrug:

Orange Lives Matter!

The Daily Beast

Laura Ingraham to Black Americans: Trump Understands Police Violence Because of Russia Probe

Justin Baragona
May 28, 2020, 11:41 PM EDT

Fox News host Laura Ingraham attempted to explain to African-Americans on Thursday night that President Donald Trump can empathize with inequality and police brutality due to his “own experience” with federal investigators during the Russia probe.

With protests raging across the nation over the death of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis police custody, Ingraham lectured protesters over the demonstrations devolving into violence and looting.

After chastising the non-Fox media for supposedly fanning racial flames over the police killing and subsequent protests, Ingraham then decided to address the black community as a whole to tell them how they should properly protest the killing of George Floyd.

“Now, I’m not going to pretend for a millisecond to know what it’s like to be a black person in America,” she said. “I don’t. But the only thing I do know is that we all need to do better.”

Reiterating that we need to “do better,” the conservative Fox News host—who once told LeBron James to “shut up and dribble”—said the “real change agents in America are those who stay in their communities and build them up, not burn them down” before invoking a civil rights icon.

“Rosa Parks is a beloved, global symbol of freedom and justice because of the determination and dignity to which she carried out her civil disobedience,” she said. “Would burning a store have been more powerful and transformative? I don’t think so.”

Without skipping a beat, the pro-Trump Fox star then referenced the president’s anger at the FBI and Justice Department during the Russia investigation to let black people know Trump understands their experience.

“And to our African-American fellow citizens, I say this: Given his own experience with an out-of-control FBI and unfair investigation, given all the work on criminal justice reform, President Trump knows how poisonous and out-of-control law enforcement process can be,” Ingraham proudly declared, concluding her mini-monologue.

..this may well be one of the most asinine, dumbass takes on the situation I've ever read. Wow, that woman is an idiot :doh:.

(I guess she totally forgot about Trump's thoughts on the Central Park Five, huh?)

As someone commented, it really would be just awful if they trashed the lobby of the Trump Hotel.

I am glad that these protests are racially diverse. I’ve also protested many things in that exact square. That’s kind of where one goes to do these things.

Feels like a powderkeg.

I mean, given the context it was inevitable. Having Trump in office the last 3.5 years was like throwing gasoline on the fire.

If even half those willing to protest show up in November he is cooked.

If you turn on Fox News it's literally all about the loss of revenue/profit for the burned out stores and the economic impact of having to rebuild/renovate.

You wouldn't know a man was killed. :shrug:
Ah yes, the logical conclusion of a staunch "pro-life" ideology.

Gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom