US Politics XXII: Idk About You, But This Is Thread 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so someone is really cooking the books.

In 2007 unemployment rate was 4.9% About 6 million jobs were lost in 2008 and 2009 and the unemployment rate hit 10%

In January 2020 the unemployment rate was at 3.7% We now have 36 million people lose their jobs, and they are saying the unemployment rate is at about 15%?!?!

Am I missing something here?

Unemployment is defined as out of work and actively looking for a job. A lot of jobless people right now might not be looking for work on account of quarantine measures and therefore won't show up in the official unemployment numbers.

not surprised.

n its final 20 minutes, the documentary film AKA Jane Roe delivers quite the blow to conservatives who have weaponized the story of Jane Roe herself—real name, Norma McCorvey—to argue that people with uteruses should have to carry any and all pregnancies to term.

McCorvey, who died in 2017, became Jane Roe when, as a young homeless woman, she was unable to get a legal or safe abortion in the state of Texas. Her willingness to lend her experience to the legal case for abortion led to the passing of Roe v. Wade in 1973, which legalized abortions in all 50 states (though red states do all they can to get around this; recently, several have even used the COVID-19 pandemic to make abortions functionally impossible to procure). But conservatives had a field day in the mid '90s when the assertive, media-savvy pro-choice advocate and activist McCorvey became an anti-abortion born-again ex-gay Christian with the help of leaders of the evangelical Christian right, Reverend Flip Benham (of the infamous Operation Rescue) and Reverend Rob Schenck. A conservative film, Roe v. Wade, starring Jon Voight and Stacey Dash, will dramatize McCorvey’s “conversion.”

But those filmmakers, and the rest of the pro-life evangelical community, have another curveball coming. In the final third of director Nick Sweeney’s 79-minute documentary, featuring many end-of-life reflections from McCorvey—who grew up queer, poor, and was sexually abused by a family member her mother sent her to live with after leaving reform school—the former Jane Roe admits that her later turn to the anti-abortion camp as a born-again Christian was “all an act.”

“This is my deathbed confession,” she chuckles, sitting in a chair in her nursing home room, on oxygen. Sweeney asks McCorvey, “Did [the evangelicals] use you as a trophy?” “Of course,” she replies. “I was the Big Fish.” “Do you think you would say that you used them?” Sweeney responds. “Well,” says McCorvey, “I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say.” She even gives an example of her scripted anti-abortion lines. “I’m a good actress,” she points out. “Of course, I’m not acting now.”

Sweeney shows the video of McCorvey’s confession to her friends and acquaintances on the pro-abortion and anti-abortion sides, including pro-choice activist Charlotte Taft who, on the verge of tears, says, “That just really hurts because it’s big stakes. It’s just really big stakes.”

Reverend Schenck, the much more reasonable of the two evangelical leaders featured in the film, also watches the confession and is taken aback. But he’s not surprised, and easily corroborates, saying, “I had never heard her say anything like this… But I knew what we were doing. And there were times when I was sure she knew. And I wondered, Is she playing us? What I didn’t have the guts to say was, because I know damn well we’re playing her.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jane-...iRmR_SxUjkbvHfqkKQDFERpJyRqNpZKh1CIfPiTIGzGjk

Unemployment is defined as out of work and actively looking for a job. A lot of jobless people right now might not be looking for work on account of quarantine measures and therefore won't show up in the official unemployment numbers.

That's an interesting thought... But aren't we getting the 36 million number from people who are filing for unemployment? Which by definition means that they are actively looking or they don't get benefits... I don't know. I just think something doesn't sound right.

Knowing that Trump only cares about that number and the stock market, makes me think that he is working overtime to suppress and manipulate those stats.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1262875693815382017?s=21

The entire federal government is appointed with Trump minions.

Trump owns:
Executive
Judicial - Supreme + Federal Courts
Congress
DOJ/FBI
Intelligence
Etc Etc

I think there’s a reason why the GOP don’t seem to be too concerned with the polling numbers (and probably same back in late 2016), they know the game is rigged in their favor.

Yep, the same reason you see Biden up across the board in the polls, but the betting markets still have him losing. He literally has installed a criminal enterprise within the government in DC, and a criminal network of GOP governors across the states. I am getting very worried about actual voting in November, and how much straight up, out in the open corruption is going to take place, which we all now know, can be done with no consequences.

Speaking of Michigan, they sold off dams to private owners. Those private owners tried to ransom locals to pay for repairs to the dams, even as they profited from them. The dams have now collapsed, as climate change has brought insane amounts of rain to the midwest. The city of Midland, Michigan and its Dow chemical plant are likely gone, as the projections are as much as nine feet of floodwaters.

Here is a photo of the owner of the dams, who refused to pay $83,000 to repair one of them. The hat feels very appropriate.

EYdxUznXsAAt7K7

Just a reminder of who resides in the Oval Office. The most complete list I've found and Trump doesn't miss any of them.

Top traits and sub-traits of a Sociopath. (interestingly this was used to be called "Moral Insanity" in the 1800's - quite appropriate)

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning - They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self - Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying - Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt - Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means.

Shallow Emotions - When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation - Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity is common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy - Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature - Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no concern for their impact on others.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability - Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity

Parasitic Lifestyle - Makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility - Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them

Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them

Authoritarian

Secretive

Paranoid

Seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired

Exercises despotic control

Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim's affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)

Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim

Incapable of real human attachment to another

Unable to feel remorse or guilt

Extreme narcissism and grandiose

May state readily that their goal is to rule the world

So the Marmalade Molester has threatened to cut off funding for Michigan because the Michigan AG followed the state constitution, and sent out applications to people for vote by mail.

Because according to the Mr. Morbidly Obese, following the state constitution is "ILLEGAL"

But these people don’t care. They will cut their nose to spite their face.

This is all about owning the other side. Collateral damage is acceptable.

I still think back to the Key and Peele short skit where the surgeon just finished heart surgery / transplant on a patient. The patient comes out of his haze and is so thankful to the doctor for saving his life.

The doctor informs him that none of this would have been possible without the ACA

The patient loses his mind over Obamacare!!!! And proceeds to rip his new repaired heart out of his chest. Laughing just before he passes away.

For the GOP and their cult, it’s about wins and losses. Win at all costs, even their own

He actually looks better pale and bald. He’s much more Krusty the Clown after he’s had his hair and makeup done.

What a paragon of masculinity and dominance.

Dofrom Business Insider

Trump tweets conspiracy theories and accuses cable-news host of murder while his lawyers argue to the Supreme Court that he is too busy being president to be investigated

And this National Guard timing thing?....

Have I told you lately how much I despise this excuse of a human being.

Last edited:
New study out today showing estimates of how many lives were lost because of this piece of shit.

It showed that if social distancing/quarantine measures had been put in place ONE week earlier, they estimated that 35,000 fewer people would be dead right now, and if it had been two weeks earlier, 54,000 fewer people dead.

This statistic needs to used in every Biden and Biden PAC ad from here until November. He is literally killing people because of his quest to be reelected.

Now threatening to cut off funding to MI and NV for setting up mail in voting. MI being devastated by flooding right now. So again, people may die because of his quest to be reelected.

I’m still shocked at how this country has just glossed over 100,000 deaths in three months.

Some of the sports forums i go to the talk is about “There better be college football cause this is all bullshit, it’s not worse than the 2018 flu!!” Basically talking around the fact that a bad flu season is like 40-50k dead over the course of half a year

Covid19 doubled that and that was with a majority of states shutting down quickly.

The other narrative is that this just kills old people, so that doesn’t affect college athletics.

I asked the hypothetical, What if some of the players get infected and that spreads to the coaching staff. The staff are ages 40-65. The staff spreads it to their families and some of them end up in the ICU for weeks fighting for their lives, and worse what if they lose their loved ones? And it’s all traced back to the team

Was it worth it to see a few games played? If games continue do you think the rest of season will mean anything ?

There’s just too much unknown at this point. And unfortunately this has turned into a partisan issue. Trump will start demanding sports teams open things up to the fans!!!! And it’ll turn into another “mask” issue

The other narrative is that this just kills old people, so that doesn’t affect college athletics.

The % of people with long-lasting lung damage is significantly higher than the rate of death. And that's in younger people.

I'm sure these college athletes would do just fine with 30% less lung capacity.

The % of people with long-lasting lung damage is significantly higher than the rate of death. And that's in younger people.

It’s been difficult to communicate with this crowd because they only see things through their addiction to sports.

It’s also true that for a lot of people (especially in the Midwest) they don’t know anyone who has been impacted by this (health wise). It all
Feels like an overreaction.

Even here in southern cal it’s a relaxed attitude. I had a side gig as a yoga teacher before this and theres no way I’m stepping back into a studio. At least not to teach in a hot room and intense class. But some of the fellow teachers have said they know others who got it, had a cough for a few days, and are fine. “i run x miles a day and workout hard so my lungs can handle this!!” Ugh

But what about those who don’t end up fine ? The assumption that nothing bad will happen to you, or your family/friends is pretty much how we got here.

He should be in a home with 24/7 care.

Nobody cares about him, which makes sense since he doesn't give a shit about anyone other than himself either.

Just a little update that I was very happy to see about the Biden campaign. This past week they hired Karine Jean-Pierre of MoveOn and Julie Chavez Rodriguez, granddaughter of César Chávez and former Harris advisor.

These are two amazing additions.

:ohmy: Oh, dear. That's terrible! :(

Just a little update that I was very happy to see about the Biden campaign. This past week they hired Karine Jean-Pierre of MoveOn and Julie Chavez Rodriguez, granddaughter of César Chávez and former Harris advisor.

These are two amazing additions.

Oh, wow, that is good news!

Steve Schmidt
@SteveSchmidtSES
·
May 20
I’ll bet no future President will ever hang Trump’s portrait in the White House. It will be impossible to shower even false praise on the most vile of men. His Presidency will be like Chernobyl. Something to be sealed off. A poison to be contained.

:hmm: They could hang it in the least used broom closet with a black cloth draped over it? :up:

I’m still shocked at how this country has just glossed over 100,000 deaths in three months.

Some of the sports forums i go to the talk is about “There better be college football cause this is all bullshit, it’s not worse than the 2018 flu!!” Basically talking around the fact that a bad flu season is like 40-50k dead over the course of half a year

Covid19 doubled that and that was with a majority of states shutting down quickly.

I asked the hypothetical, What if some of the players get infected and that spreads to the coaching staff. The staff are ages 40-65. The staff spreads it to their families and some of them end up in the ICU for weeks fighting for their lives, and worse what if they lose their loved ones? And it’s all traced back to the team

Was it worth it to see a few games played? If games continue do you think the rest of season will mean anything ?

There’s just too much unknown at this point. And unfortunately this has turned into a partisan issue. Trump will start demanding sports teams open things up to the fans!!!! And it’ll turn into another “mask” issue

A lot of people I know who are being obtuse about this don’t believe the 100K number. They think it’s just the normal flu or that there are people dying of other things and they’re just being wrongfully diagnosed. The horror of the actual disease is so bad that they need to not believe the numbers so they can justify wanting their conveniences back.

Example conversation I’ve had (over text of course) -

Acquaintance: “Well my friend who’s a doctor said the government is paying doctors and hospitals to change diagnosis codes to the corona virus.”

Me: “So the government is telling doctors and hospitals to commit insurance fraud, and the doctors and hospitals are just... doing it?”

Acquaintance: “I see you’re a sheep and have been trained well.”

Me: “Just thinking it through logically.”

Acquaintance: *responses end here, posts pictures on social media of themselves at the state capital protesting*

Beyond a POS! :angry: :gah:

Mitch McConnell promised House Republicans on Wednesday that the beefed up unemployment benefits enacted earlier this spring "will not be in the next bill."

The Senate majority leader told the House GOP minority in an afternoon phone call that he is comfortable waiting to see how the nearly $3 trillion in coronavirus spending previously approved plays out before moving forward on the next relief legislation. And he told them the ultimate end-product won't look anything like House Democrats' $3 trillion package passed last week, according to a person briefed on the call.

I'm not surprised per se, but still shocked at their cruelty. :sad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom