US Politics XXII: Idk About You, But This Is Thread 22 - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2020, 01:20 AM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:42 AM
If you're wondering where the swing voters are, we have seen what happened in the midterms. College educated white women and other suburbanites shifted, and I think will continue to trend that way after all that's happened these past couple months.

Shit, if Meghan is voting for Joe, then... there are plenty more

https://twitter.com/BravoWWHL/status...51435904167936

Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 AM   #262
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Holy shit

The female Trump reveals herself. (AKA, fucking clueless, heartless, moronic piece of shit)

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1253041723510587394

Old 04-23-2020, 02:40 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status...85110066466818

New @FoxNews

state polls out tonight:

Michigan

Biden 49%, Trump 41%

Pennsylvania

Biden 50%, Trump 42%

Bottom line is there won’t be between 8-12% of these states not voting for either of these two candidates, mix that in with coffee turnout and same shit as Clinton’s polls. Probably a solid amount of people not willing to admit they’re going to vote for Trump, for the record.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:37 AM   #264
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
The first time around, they could have fought, but they decided to wait for next time:

Next time comes around:

It's always the promise of the next time with the Democrats. You could criticize them as being feckless, unable to understand negotiation and leverage, but this happens far too frequently for me to believe it's not deliberate.
What leverage do they have in these negotiations, though? Is there even a path to winning? My impression is, the Republicans don't really care if a bill is delayed by hours or even days. They'll just wait it out. But the Democrats feel the pressure of urgency. Would it have been realistic to expect the Democrats in the Senate to get Republicans to budge?

McConnell's bullshit should be shot down. The US government doesn't need to worry about debt. It can't go bankrupt. Meanwhile, millions of "job creators" and "hard-working Americans" (to use their vernacular) are amassing debt that will bankrupt them.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #265
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:42 PM
https://twitter.com/DanRiffle/status...77332857507841
Old 04-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

I literately made this case here and to my friends and everyone has suggested its extreme.

Maybe I should yell it like a New Yorker

The number one cardinal sin in our society is to not pay debt. Debt is not helpful to society at this moment. In fact, it threatens society.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #267
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/sta...457902080?s=21

If it wasn’t clearer, FoxNews runs the country
Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This is the crux of the issue. By way of comparison:

Quote:
When the British economy ground to a halt a few weeks ago, Reda Maher suddenly found himself among the ranks of the unemployed, alongside untold millions of other people around the world.

But unlike many others, Maher can rest easy, knowing that money will keep flowing into his bank account until he's called back to work.

"I woke up a couple of hours later than I normally would. I won't lie," Maher said one afternoon earlier this month. "I took a nice long masked and gloved walk. I've got a remote personal training like fitness session in about 20 minutes."

The United Kingdom recently began paying 80% of the salaries of workers laid off because of the coronavirus pandemic. The government caps the pay at about $3,000 a month, but many employers, including the London-based video streaming service where Maher works, add to what the government hands out.

Maher also doesn't need to worry about being left without health care coverage, thanks to Britain's National Health Service.

Across Europe and in Canada, governments are easing the plight of workers idled because of the coronavirus pandemic by essentially paying part of their salaries, says Gabriel Zucman, a professor of economics at the University of California, Berkeley.

"What it means is that people remain on the books. ... They keep receiving their salaries," Zucman says. "And when social distancing ends, they will just return to work, as if they had been on a long, government-paid leave."

It's much more humane than in the United States, where some 26 million workers have lost their jobs over the past five weeks, Zucman says. Under the American system, workers are typically fired. They file for unemployment benefits and have to look for new work, he says. Many risk losing their health insurance benefits altogether.

Even if they are eventually rehired — and there's no guarantee of that — the experience is brutal and anxiety-ridden, Zucman and fellow Berkeley economist Emmanuel Saez wrote in a recent op-ed in The New York Times.

The European systems are also less disruptive for businesses, who know that when the current crisis ends, they can simply call their employees back to work right away, picking up where they left off.

"It basically means we will survive and we will be able to keep the workforce on board. So that's a pretty powerful tool actually for us," says Alexander Kranki, who runs a software development company near Düsseldorf that employs 130 people.
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/23/83808...ike-in-the-u-s

In Canada, the wage subsidy is 75%, also up to a capped amount. But many businesses are topping up to close to 100% or all the way to 100%.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #270
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
In Canada, the wage subsidy is 75%, also up to a capped amount. But many businesses are topping up to close to 100% or all the way to 100%.
Still seems to me the most logical, encompassing relief program we could enact in the USA is debt suspension. No rent or mortgage payments, no student loan payments (public or private), and no credit card interest accumulation until shelter orders have passed.

Credit card companies have plenty to subside on and could still charge a nominal transaction fee or something; private landlords are generally using rent money to subsidize their own mortgage anyway, so that might offset. I don't know what the financial situation looks like right now for the major mortgage agencies, but they should be able to absorb a few months' worth of deferment.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
pretty much what i yell at my computer every day as i see what bill needs to be paid next, and knowing no more money is coming in.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This is the crux of the issue. By way of comparison:

Oh come on! It was you specifically who was lobbying for individuals to have to honor debts to enforce the integrity of the system.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Oh come on! It was you specifically who was lobbying for individuals to have to honor debts to enforce the integrity of the system.

What are you talking about? Lobbying who? Because I said that I don’t generally support student debt forgiveness?

I am in favour of considerably increased government spending during this time to keep people afloat as it is the only way to return to some sort of normality. This includes the suspension of student debt (without accumulation of interest) for a long time.

I think that there are reasonable debates to be had about the broader topic of student debt outside of the parameters of the pandemic.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #274
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

Maybe I should yell it like a New Yorker
I've been trying to tell you this for years now...
Old 04-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
What are you talking about? Lobbying who? Because I said that I don’t generally support student debt forgiveness?

I am in favour of considerably increased government spending during this time to keep people afloat as it is the only way to return to some sort of normality. This includes the suspension of student debt (without accumulation of interest) for a long time.

I think that there are reasonable debates to be had about the broader topic of student debt outside of the parameters of the pandemic.

No, quite literally when I called for freezing all unpayable debts, you said the failure of hotels and airlines and the was inevitable and that banks must have money so they can “help” those who won’t fail.

If these companies that are left without profit had a freeze on debt, they wouldn’t be eliminating assets and millions of jobs.

Just the same way that the federal government did in fact put a freeze on both student loan interest and on payment, if an entity (person or organization) is unable to pay their debts right now they should not have to, to the maximum possible extent without adversely causing financial institutions themselves an inability to pay their own employees.

And yeah I said it before and I’ll say it again... fuck those financial institutions. They can fake a hit. They got their asses bailed out by tax payers when they fucked ip. So yeah, now that (far more) lower-middle and middle class workers for hotels and airlines are suffering because their companies failed to be financially prepared, fuck the big banks. Their asses can wait to get paid, and no they don’t get to go be the decision makers on liquidating an airline’s assets. It’s not good for literally anyone but them. It’s horrible for the workers and it’s horrible for the job economy.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Dr. Trump is in the building.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1253448138813173760

I call for all Republicans to follow his medical advice. I also think Trump should go first, to lead by example.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #277
Blue Crack Distributor

I've got some Windex that I'm more than happy to run down his way. Will only take like 20 minutes door to door
Old 04-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Trump MD, at it again

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...52350347309056
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I've got some Windex that I'm more than happy to run down his way. Will only take like 20 minutes door to door
Maybe shove a lightbulb up his ass as long as you're making the trip.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...52350347309056
Old 04-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #280
War Child

Quote:
I'm sorry but are there really on-the-fence/undecided American voters who can truly be persuaded to vote one way or the other who are going to be astonished that Nancy Pelosi is rich? Like, really?

There aren't poor people in the Senate, the Congress or the boardrooms of America. The question is really how rich they are relative to one another.
I'm saying she, and the center-to-right portion of the Democratic Party, contribute to the hopeless feeling that causes the biggest group of voters in the United States to be those who don't vote. The greatest weapon of capital is the feeling of inevitability and hopelessness, that nothing will ever change because both sides of the aisle are in it to enrich themselves and their wealthy donors.

In related news, Joe Biden has brought Larry Summers on as an adviser on the economy.