US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we going to talk about the horrifying reality that the DNC is going to name a man accused of sexual assault as the Democratic nominee? Meanwhile, I don't see CNN or MSNBC even pretending to give a shit about this, despite a list of similar accusations extending back many years and a long history of inappropriate behavior captured on camera.

""For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you've got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she's talking about is real." Let's keep that same energy when it regards democrats.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Trump and the Democratic candidates are not held to the same standard of behavior. Bernie receives a negative mark for being supported by a coalition of obnoxious internet trolls. Meanwhile, Trump's mainstream base couldn't care less that he's beloved by openly violent white supremacists. The GOP has normalized reprehensible behavior by decades of playing dirty.

Maybe the narrative I'm fearing will never take shape, but yeah...not getting good vibes.

Yep I said something similar on Facebook but I'm not worried. It's the equivalent of Jeffrey Dahmer taking issue with Hannibal's dietary choices.

Yep I said something similar on Facebook but I'm not worried. It's the equivalent of Jeffrey Dahmer taking issue with Hannibal's dietary choices.
It's not even that. These accusations are only flying on Twitter because they're obviously and laughably false.

That comparison would fit Bernie's troll army vs Trump's red hat brigade if Trump tried to use it against a fictional Sanders nomination.

It's not even that. These accusations are only flying on Twitter because they're obviously and laughably false.

That comparison would fit Bernie's troll army vs Trump's red hat brigade if Trump tried to use it against a fictional Sanders nomination.
Very true. I guess my analogy would only work in a situation where Biden was actually guilty of something.

these accusations are "only flying on twitter" because the time's up legal fund didn't want to take her case because they were worried about jeopardizing their non-profit status by taking a presidential candidate (whose top campaign adviser is the managing director of their PR firm) to court.

the aggressively hostile reaction here to the mere mention of this is quite frankly fucking disgusting. you two will instantly and unquestioningly accept any tweet with even the slightest little whiff of negativity about bernie sanders, but a serious accusation of sexual assault against a man with a decades-long history of being inappropriate with women gets this reaction. you honestly should be ashamed of yourselves.

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, has been accused of sexual assault by a former staffer. Tara Reade, who worked with Biden when he was a Delaware senator, alleges he inappropriately touched her and penetrated her with his fingers without consent in 1993.

“It happened all at once, and then … his hands were on me and underneath my clothes,” Reade recalled in an interview with podcast host Katie Halper on Wednesday. “He said ‘come on, man, I heard you liked me. For me, it was like, everything shattered … I wanted to be a senator; I didn’t want to sleep with one.”

Rightwing news outlets have gleefully seized upon the accusations against Biden; the story has also been discussed by leftwing commentators. However, the mainstream media has largely ignored the allegations. Instead there have been headlines like The top 10 women Joe Biden might pick as VP (CNN) and Joe Biden’s inner circle: No longer a boy’s club (AP).

It is hugely frustrating to see conservatives, who couldn’t give a damn about the multiple sexual assault allegations against Donald Trump, weaponize the accusations against Biden. However, it’s also frustrating to see so many liberals turning a blind eye. The accusations against the former vice-president are serious; why aren’t they being taken seriously?

One obvious reason is that Reade’s accusations are very hard to prove. The incident happened a long time ago and there weren’t any witnesses. Reade also gave a slightly different version of events last year; she accused Biden of touching her neck and shoulders in a way that was inappropriate and uncomfortable, but did not say anything sexual took place. This inconsistency obviously doesn’t mean she’s lying; unfortunately, it is easy to use against her.

Reade’s story may be impossible to verify, but this is the case with the vast majority of sexual assault allegations. It is nearly always a case of “he said, she said” – and it is nearly always the “he’ that is automatically believed. The #MeToo mantra “Believe Women” doesn’t mean that women never lie; it means that our systems of power are biased towards believing men never lie. It means that it takes decades of allegations and scores of women coming forward for powerful men like Harvey Weinstein, Jeffrey Epstein and Bill Cosby to be brought to justice. All the mantra means is that you shouldn’t automatically disbelieve women.

You know who has talked publicly about the importance of taking women seriously? Biden. During the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, Biden stood up for Dr Christine Blasey Ford, noting: “For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real.”

Does this presumption not apply when the guy being accused is a Democrat running for president? It would seem that way. In January, according to reporting from the Intercept, Reade asked for help from the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund, which has supported accusers of high-profile people like Weinstein. Reade was reportedly told by the National Women’s Law Center, the organization within which the Time’s Up fund is housed, that it couldn’t assist with accusations against a presidential candidate because it would jeopardize their non-profit status. The Intercept further notes that “the public relations firm that works on behalf of the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund is SKDKnickerbocker, whose managing director, Anita Dunn, is the top adviser to Biden’s presidential campaign”.

There are some people who will insist that drawing attention to the new allegations against Biden is playing into the Republicans’ hands. That it will destroy Biden’s campaign and guarantee us four more years of Trump. Not only is that argument hypocritical, it is also hugely unlikely that Reade’s accusations will do any damage whatsoever to Biden’s ambitions. Allegations of sexual assault certainly haven’t posed any hindrance to Trump. The allegations against Kavanaugh didn’t stop him from becoming a supreme court justice. The allegations against Louis CK didn’t kill his career in comedy. And the multiple women who have accused Biden of touching them inappropriately in the past haven’t exactly derailed his career.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ault-allegations-why-has-media-ignored-claims

Last edited:
these accusations are "only flying on twitter" because the time's up legal fund didn't want to take her case because they were worried about jeopardizing their non-profit status by taking a presidential candidate (whose top adviser is the managing director of their PR firm) to court.

the aggressively hostile reaction here to the mere mention of this is quite frankly fucking disgusting. you two will instantly believe any tweet with even the slightest little whiff of negativity about bernie sanders, but a serious accusation of sexual assault against a man with a decades-long history of being inappropriate with women gets this reaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ault-allegations-why-has-media-ignored-claims
I appreciate you editing out the personal attack on Headache and I because that was rather unfortunate.

I didn't even accuse Joe of anything. As strange as his hands-on approach to interacting with women has proven to be over the years, there is a jump from shoulder touching to sexual assault. Of course, anyone willing to make that jump will do so.

It's crucial that we talk about this accusation and properly vet it now because, if it festers, it's a more character-damaging, relatable and concrete version of "b-but the emails!" No way that this just disappears. Trump will just switch the nickname from Sleepy Joe to Rapey Joe.

I appreciate you editing out the personal attack on Headache and I because that was rather unfortunate.

yeah, well it pissed me off a little bit that you two decided to act in literally the exact same way that MAGA-turds do to instantly dismiss it out of hand whenever a woman comes forward with a claim about trump.

Last edited:
I didn't even accuse Joe of anything. As strange as his hands-on approach to interacting with women has proven to be over the years, there is a jump from shoulder touching to sexual assault. Of course, anyone willing to make that jump will do so.

It's crucial that we talk about this accusation and properly vet it now because, if it festers, it's a more character-damaging, relatable and concrete version of "b-but the emails!" No way that this just disappears. Trump will just switch the nickname from Sleepy Joe to Rapey Joe.

i understand that you aren't accusing biden of anything and i'm not by any means saying that this accusation is definitely true or not. i have no idea. i hope that the accusation is properly investigated and, if it is true, that the appropriate legal measures are taken, and if it isn't, that's given attention and acceptance as well.

and thank you for bringing this up - i was considering it last night but i was a little tipsy and couldn't think of a way to formulate the post without getting accusations of just being a divisive bernie bro hurled at me.

it's of course laughably hypocritical that the trumpists are acting like this gives anyone on their side moral superiority. but like you said they're going to weaponize this regardless of its veracity. people here might find it hilarious for trump et al to accuse anyone else of being a sexual predator, but the danger here is that the label sticks (rightfully or not) and large swathes of people stay home on election day because they see it framed as a choice between two rapists.

yeah, well it pissed me off a little bit that you two decided to act in literally the exact same way that MAGA-turds do to instantly dismiss it out of hand whenever a woman comes forward with a claim about trump.
I really don't think the fact that we're hesitant to throw the books at Joe Biden warrants both a maga comparison and "fuck you guys" response. And on a personal level, it's disappointing after trying to make nice with you.

Yea that's what I'm doing

not willing to talk about this "clear bullshit story" (instant dismissal, no reasoning given)

"but bernie and that one is true" (but bill)

"only flying on twitter" (if it was true he would be charged)

"obviously and laughably false" (again, no reasoning given, subject quickly changed)

it's like straight out of the /r/the_donald playbook, bro.

Last edited:
I really don't think the fact that we're hesitant to throw the books at Joe Biden warrants both a maga comparison and "fuck you guys" response. And on a personal level, it's disappointing after trying to make nice with you.

after rereading the last page, in hindsight and fairness i shouldn't have lumped you in with headache. you didn't react in nearly the same way as he did. apologies.

after rereading the last page, in hindsight and fairness i shouldn't have lumped you in with headache. you didn't react in nearly the same way as he did. apologies.
Thanks man. Appreciate it. [emoji106]

You know where to find me. I'm done.

Well I can email you or something.

Ok but in all seriousness times are hard, but you do realize you’re part of this place right? I don’t want you to go away. Personally, I think we need you here. We need everyone who contributes (maybe not gzus, since his contributions are really just like roping bricks to your feet and jumping in a deep lake).

It’s going to be a long gazillion months of this shit, so maybe we fight a little bit, disagree, etc etc, but this is a really good outlet. I’m also one who thinks that varying your tasks whilst bound to your home is critical to getting by. Don’t go ❤️

"I'm leaving because someone called me out on labeling a sexual assault allegation against the Democrat frontrunner 'bullshit' "

Headache is obviously normally flexing some muscle around here on the regular, but maybe just have some patience in times like these? You know he’s going through a lot because everyone is going through a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom