US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1243509432748781569?s=21

How? Are people really not believing this is going to be catastrophic? That it’s only a NYC issue like 9/11?

The rust belt and the south are a week or two away from becoming a disaster. I’m in CA but I’m not even sure if we’re testing at a good clip.

Guess once the real America starts dying it’ll become an issue

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1243509432748781569?s=21

How? Are people really not believing this is going to be catastrophic? That it’s only a NYC issue like 9/11?

The rust belt and the south are a week or two away from becoming a disaster. I’m in CA but I’m not even sure if we’re testing at a good clip.

Guess once the real America starts dying it’ll become an issue
It's inevitable. People will rally around the government in times of crisis.

Doesn't mean it will last - and frankly that it's only 48 is not exactly a good thing. W Bush's approvals were around 90% in the aftermath of 9/11. It jumped about 40%. Trump has jumped like 3-5%.

Yeah folks will take comfort in him telling them that we're going to beat this thing etc.
Approval will go up, but like Headache said his approval hasn't jumped a tremendous amount. If (when) things aren't all back to normal by Easter, his ratings will start to slip again.

Yeah folks will take comfort in him telling them that we're going to beat this thing etc.
Approval will go up, but like Headache said his approval hasn't jumped a tremendous amount. If (when) things aren't all back to normal by Easter, his ratings will start to slip again.

I hope none of the people who approve of how he's handling this get the virus and need a ventilator. Same for their loved ones. He says some governors are essentially exaggerating how many are needed, and ventilators are very expensive.

They also desperately need PPE.

These people who approve Trump right now think he's telling the truth about everything. And they think governors and medical people on the front lines are lying and exaggerating. All rational thought goes out the window.

Lol, unbelievable

Trump is threatening to take away licenses from television stations if they air an ad that is critical of his response to the coronavirus.

Via Bloomberg:

The Trump re-election campaign told TV stations they could lose their operating licenses for airing an ad criticizing the president’s actions in the coronavirus crisis — a challenge that may be more bluster than actual threat.

…..

Failure to remove the ad “could put your station’s license in jeopardy” before the Federal Communications Commission, the campaign said in the letter. “Your station has an obligation to cease and desist from airing it immediately to comply with FCC licensing requirements.”

There are a couple of huge problems with the Trump campaign’s threat. First, the President doesn’t have the power to take licenses away from television stations. Second, the ad is free speech. It is criticism of the government that is protected by the Constitution. If Trump tried to take a license away from a broadcaster for airing the ad, the issue would go to court, Trump would lose.

It is not surprising that after years of attacks on the free press, the Trump campaign would threaten the license of any station that airs criticism of him. However, the campaign’s over the top reaction reveals that they are sensitive to the criticism of Trump’s response, and it is up to the critics of this administration to loudly and repeatedly tell the truth about how Trump made America the world leader in coronavirus.

Lol, unbelievable

Trump is threatening to take away licenses from television stations if they air an ad that is critical of his response to the coronavirus.

Via Bloomberg:

The Trump re-election campaign told TV stations they could lose their operating licenses for airing an ad criticizing the president’s actions in the coronavirus crisis — a challenge that may be more bluster than actual threat.

…..

Failure to remove the ad “could put your station’s license in jeopardy” before the Federal Communications Commission, the campaign said in the letter. “Your station has an obligation to cease and desist from airing it immediately to comply with FCC licensing requirements.”

There are a couple of huge problems with the Trump campaign’s threat. First, the President doesn’t have the power to take licenses away from television stations. Second, the ad is free speech. It is criticism of the government that is protected by the Constitution. If Trump tried to take a license away from a broadcaster for airing the ad, the issue would go to court, Trump would lose.

It is not surprising that after years of attacks on the free press, the Trump campaign would threaten the license of any station that airs criticism of him. However, the campaign’s over the top reaction reveals that they are sensitive to the criticism of Trump’s response, and it is up to the critics of this administration to loudly and repeatedly tell the truth about how Trump made America the world leader in coronavirus.

and just listen to all the outrage over this coming from "muh freeze peach" crowd right now...

Trump saying "throw Massie out of the Republican party!" is maybe the first thing he's said that I applaud.

But lets also throw him out of Congress

Good to see the Republican dog and pony show at the bill signing practicing social distancing. I saw at least 6 CM between some of the shoulders of the entourage.

Lol, unbelievable

Via Bloomberg:

…..

And the funny part is that the ad is just clips of Trump speaking. So... yeah, the statements are false, I mean Trump said them so of course they are, but that's the whole point of the ad.

You do realize that “canceling student loan debt” just changes who pays for it, right? It’s never really cancelled.

So you have a six figure income, at least partly based on the student loans you took out, but now think that taxpayers, i. e. other people, should have to pay for it.

I don’t think I should have to pay for your student loans, I’m sorry.

You do realize that it’s already paid for, right? Like, my loans were disbursed three years ago.

So, gzus, if the loans are already paid for, do you have any further objections?

I don't understand.

I don't understand.

I borrowed some amount almost four years ago now. It was disbursed three to four years ago. I pay $1000 a month in student loans, to the US government. If the US government decided to forgive, let’s say $3000 off all student loan debt, and freeze student loan interest for 3 months, this gives me access to $3000 of cash to infuse into the system.

The catch here is that the government spent that money already on me. Years ago. The department of treasury, at the beginning of the fiscal year, allots their loan money to the department of education. They then distribute it out to the lenders (in my case, the state of Oklahoma owns my loan for some reason or another). I subsequently pay the lender, who in turn returns the funds to the department of treasury. And the cycle repeats.

The current bailout is collecting tax money to distribute to the people. It was never originally allocated, so it’s the government borrowing from the people instead.

In the case of student loans, next year’s funds haven’t been allocated. This year’s already have. Mine were allocated years ago. By forgiving some amount of loans, the government would be borrowing against itself and deferring an issue. Basically, there would be a shortage in loan money to distribute the year following. I think we can agree that that’s not a good thing, but this economy needs money injected now. We can deal with that loan money in the future (plenty of private loan money still exists). We can argue politics about that later. At this rate anyways, young people are probably cancelling their borrowing plans for fall programs anyways, especially if they’re forced to stay home due to a pandemic, or because their family is currently unable to financially support an educational endeavor.

I don't understand.

Yeah these responses were so stupid, I just let it lie.

Those two responses speak volumes. If they’re already “paid “, then who are you paying back?

Math and Economics are hard around here, oh, and logical thought.

Those two responses speak volumes. If they’re already “paid “, then who are you paying back?

You just let it lie! [emoji23] Listen to your ego man! We can play a little game of math if you want.

oh, and logical thought.

1: “Morality matters”

2: “Oh okay, so will you vote for Trump?”

1: [silence]

—-

1: “no one wants to talk about how Obama handled swine flu”

2: “here’s some simple facts that show how much better he handled it than Trump is handling coronavirus.”

1: [silence]

Last edited:
There are different, valid arguments for how to tackle student debt.

I am not in favour of debt forgiveness (for a number of reasons), but I am in favour if injecting significant federal funds to states to pass on to state/public universities to make their tuition free or near-to-free. Then you, as a student have a choice - free state school or take on debt if you want to go to Harvard.

I am generally a risk averse person so I would not have accumulated an enormous student debt when there were cheaper options. I understand it's not always as easy, particularly if you are looking for a specific program that isn't offered widely.

But in terms of the pandemic, I would absolutely support suspending student debt payments entirely, for a period of 3-6 months or whatever it ends up being in the end.

You have a superbly written, lucid explanation above from LN7.

Suggest you apply your logical thought to understanding that post.

Seriously, those who do nothing more than make the occasional drive by post full of multiple falsehoods and snide remarks, and who run away from engaging in any sort of thoughtful debate, are about the last people I want to hear mocking anyone else here.

It's clearly the hobby of some people here. Sad!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom