US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
25 million people losing their health insurance disagree. But thanks. I guess we all wait for M4A to breeze through the Houses.

Dude what are you talking about? Your retort doesn’t make any sense.

The affordable care act does not stop people from acquiring loads of debt even if they’re fully covered. Like, even platinum plans will charge $250 a day in the hospital, with a maximum out of pocket of like $5000.

So yeah, contract COVID-19 and someone making $40,000 could easily acquire crippling debt should they get stuck sedated on a ventilator for a week and survive.

BUT THANKS

Gilead just attained orphan drug status for their Covid treatment, meaning they can jack up the price. Thank you to Joe Biden for helping Republicans to table the 2000 proposal to eliminate this possibility on drugs whose R&D was taxpayer funded!

Dude what are you talking about? Your retort doesn’t make any sense.

The affordable care act does not stop people from acquiring loads of debt even if they’re fully covered. Like, even platinum plans will charge $250 a day in the hospital, with a maximum out of pocket of like $5000.

So yeah, contract COVID-19 and someone making $40,000 could easily acquire crippling debt should they get stuck sedated on a ventilator for a week and survive.

BUT THANKS

I'm saying that Biden trying to save 25 million people who have insurance really isn't a great opportunity to say, well, why should we save it cause it's crap anyway (sorry, not saying you said that, but sort of the meaning i took from it)...

So yes, someone gets a 5,000 bill. That sucks, agreed. But it's not a 100,000 dollar bill. So saving what's there now is important, and making it better is even more important.

Gilead just attained orphan drug status for their Covid treatment, meaning they can jack up the price. Thank you to Joe Biden for helping Republicans to table the 2000 proposal to eliminate this possibility on drugs whose R&D was taxpayer funded!

Oh Christ. You know how much shit they had to change and shelve in order to get any form of the ACA passed? But yes, the blame lands squarely on Biden's shoulders. :doh:

Tell me the story about how M4A would have gone over in 2000...

oh shit he wrote them a letter saying "stop it", republicans better fear president biden.

Are you seriously going down this road again?

Every day Bernie's IG feed is just one spouting after another of telling someone to stop something or how something should be. Yet, when Biden does it, and not just on social media, it's ridiculous.

I'm saying that Biden trying to save 25 million people who have insurance really isn't a great opportunity to say, well, why should we save it cause it's crap anyway (sorry, not saying you said that, but sort of the meaning i took from it)...

So yes, someone gets a 5,000 bill. That sucks, agreed. But it's not a 100,000 dollar bill. So saving what's there now is important, and making it better is even more important.

$5,000 or $100,000, it’s not going to be paid. It’s foolish for someone making $40,000 to pay the $5,000 bill. They should accept their credit being obliterated for seven years until the debt collectors can no longer legally take action on your credit score. That’s the only logical play for someone in that position.

They should owe $0, and they shouldn’t have to suffer lack of access to credit / have no financial credibility for the next decade thanks to a pandemic.

The affordable care act, during business as usual, is better than nothing. Yes. But it is not protecting a large amount of people from crippling debt due to covid-19.

Are you seriously going down this road again?

Every day Bernie's IG feed is just one spouting after another of telling someone to stop something or how something should be. Yet, when Biden does it, and not just on social media, it's ridiculous.

at this point, he's the presumptive nominee. i want to hear him talking about what he intends to try to write into law or what orders he intends to pass as president to try to fix the situation.

it's a letter from a civilian (albeit a powerful one) to congresspeople. in the grand scheme, it's a relatively empty gesture that's being spun to appear as if Joe Is Doing Something. i get that he doesn't really have the power to do anything now but right now he definitely has an enormous amount of power to drive a lot of valuable discussion about the best solutions for when he does have the ability to actually do anything substantial. take the request to CEOs to "commit" to no stock buybacks for a year, sure it's a gesture, which i agree is valuable sometimes, but what is it actually doing for anybody?

i suppose my point is, so he wrote this letter. what actual good does it serve if there's no threat of a legal and permanent follow through from the biden administration? like, "no more stock buybacks please CEOs" is all well and good, but why isn't he following it up with "i'm going to make them illegal anyways when i'm president so you might as well adjust now"?

Last edited:
$5,000 or $100,000, it’s not going to be paid. It’s foolish for someone making $40,000 to pay the $5,000 bill. They should accept their credit being obliterated for seven years until the debt collectors can no longer legally take action on your credit score. That’s the only logical play for someone in that position.

They should owe $0, and they shouldn’t have to suffer lack of access to credit / have no financial credibility for the next decade thanks to a pandemic.

The affordable care act, during business as usual, is better than nothing. Yes. But it is not protecting a large amount of people from crippling debt due to covid-19.

I see your point on the covid-19 and agree with you. It would be great to get student loan debt and medical bills reduced or elimanated for people who were hospitalized for covid-19, even if it were on some sliding scale.

at this point, he's the presumptive nominee. i want to hear him talking about what he intends to try to write into law or what orders he intends to pass as president to try to fix the situation.

it's a letter from a civilian (albeit a powerful one) to congresspeople. in the grand scheme, it's a relatively empty gesture that's being spun to appear as if Joe Is Doing Something. i get that he doesn't really have the power to do anything now but right now he definitely has an enormous amount of power to drive a lot of valuable discussion about the best solutions for when he does have the ability to actually do anything substantial. take the request to CEOs to "commit" to no stock buybacks for a year, sure it's a gesture, which i agree is valuable sometimes, but what is it actually doing for anybody?

i suppose my point is, so he wrote this letter. what actual good does it serve if there's no threat of a legal and permanent follow through from the biden administration? like, "no more stock buybacks please CEOs" is all well and good, but why isn't he following it up with "i'm going to make them illegal anyways when i'm president so you might as well adjust now"?

Very good points all around. I see what you mean, and I agree with you.

Sorry, I'm a bit edgy lately. The thought of not making my mortgage in a few months is making me a walking asshole as of late.

Very good points all around. I see what you mean, and I agree with you.

Sorry, I'm a bit edgy lately. The thought of not making my mortgage in a few months is making me a walking asshole as of late.

no worries, lots of us are being walking assholes here as of late :wink:

i hope we all make it through this safe. i'm glad i have this place and these friends to talk to while i'm shut off from the world, even if we argue like estranged relatives at a tense thanksgiving sometimes.

no worries, lots of us are being walking assholes here as of late :wink:

i hope we all make it through this safe. i'm glad i have this place and these friends to talk to while i'm shut off from the world, even if we argue like estranged relatives at a tense thanksgiving sometimes.

LOL. Yeah, crazy enough, this place helps keep me sane. I know its lame to say it's been nice to get to know this group so well over the past year or so. It helps when I just can't listen to another covid report.

I see your point on the covid-19 and agree with you. It would be great to get student loan debt and medical bills reduced or elimanated for people who were hospitalized for covid-19, even if it were on some sliding scale.

For the record, Joe did suggest this. But I don’t see anyone anywhere practically pushing for this. Still waiting. And that’s not a dig at joe, it’s a dig at the current government in its entirety.

If anyone is wondering how eliminating student debt is relevant right now, I pay $1000 a month in student loans. If $10,000 was wiped away, and payments frozen, I could support my sister with that $1000, who is pregnant and has three kids and is going to file for bankruptcy for her business because there’s no viable way to save it. Canceling that student loan debt does very little in the way of damaging the economy.

I can’t think of a better time to cancel student loan debt.

You do realize that “canceling student loan debt” just changes who pays for it, right? It’s never really cancelled.

So you have a six figure income, at least partly based on the student loans you took out, but now think that taxpayers, i. e. other people, should have to pay for it.

I don’t think I should have to pay for your student loans, I’m sorry.

Totally agree. I wasn't replying to your post. But all I'm saying is that we have two parties so that one can't just pass whatever they want. This impasse is only because Democrats want to make the bill better for working people, small businesses, local governments, etc. and stopping slush funds and stock buybacks. That's not dysfunction, but literally the definition of how our system should function when one party, with some moral compass, has to step in to try and do all they can to stop a party of greedy, corporate knob-sucking, goons.

Of course. It's the height of dysfunction when we are sitting here during this unprecedented time waiting for this to get done. I turned on Hannity last night for the small amount of time I could tolerate, just to observe what is going on there. He had Lindsey Graham on and Kevin McCarthy if that's the correct name and person. And of course they all painted it as the GOP standing up for the average American and the Democrats getting in the way of that. The lies and half truths and media manipulation are all part of the dysfunction too. To be fair Democrats are guilty of that too, they all play the game in that way.

Last edited:
You do realize that “canceling student loan debt” just changes who pays for it, right? It’s never really cancelled.

So you have a six figure income, at least partly based on the student loans you took out, but now think that taxpayers, i. e. other people, should have to pay for it.

I'd rather pay for that than pay for all of Trump's golf trips.

I'd rather pay for that than pay for all of Trump's golf trips.

Same here. Ditto for any taxpayer expense related to Trump and Trump family excesses. A reporter actually asked Trump last week if his company would be asking for government relief. That made me very angry. I believe he said he didn't know. He knows, they will.

Who pays for the massive tax cuts the wealthy received first under W Bush and then under Trump?

The answer is in your post.

You do realize that it’s already paid for, right? Like, my loans were disbursed three years ago.

Right now we are desperate to free up capital because everyone is losing their jobs. This is a no brainer.

You do realize that it’s already paid for, right? Like, my loans were disbursed three years ago.

Right now we are desperate to free up capital because everyone is losing their jobs. This is a no brainer.

So, gzus, if the loans are already paid for, do you have any further objections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom