US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything Trump does is about the appearance of doing a good job. His entire life has been about that, from blasting his name on everything, to his tv show, and now the Presidency.

The only word or promises he has kept have been his harmful ones. Muslim Ban, Tax Cuts, anything to fuck over the poor. Anything to actually help people, no.

Everyone who wants a mask can get one
The Medical Ship for NY, it won't get there for another two - three weeks
Invoking acts, he hasn't actually invoked anything to help. Just talked about doing it

At some point, the malice will overtake the incompetence. His administration does not care who is going to get sick and die.

70,000 more applications in the US for unemployment benefits last week as compared to the week prior. would be willing to bet that number is going to be MUCH higher for this week too. :|

Trump keeps saying he thinks the economy is going to be fantastic, he just said it again. He also said the reporters were too close together and he should probably have just two there that he likes. Ugh, he just can't stop. Self control of a child.

Just to lighten things up a little. I love swearing cranky Bernie

(CNN)Bernie Sanders has a decision to make about his campaign now that his path to the Democratic presidential nomination has effectively closed and the coronavirus pandemic has thrown into question the timing of future primary elections.

But on Wednesday, when asked during a question and answer session with reporters what his time frame for making that decision was, Sanders did not want to discuss it, telling CNN's Manu Raju, "I'm dealing with a FUCKING global crisis."

Sanders, who was at work in the US Senate to address the pandemic, added that "right now I'm trying to do my best to make sure that we don't have an economic meltdown and that people don't die. Is that enough for you to keep me busy for today?"

70,000 more applications in the US for unemployment benefits last week as compared to the week prior. would be willing to bet that number is going to be MUCH higher for this week too. :|

Yeah, this has all been kind of abstract for me up until now. My wife was transitioning from one job to another. They told her she got the job, she put in her notice at her old job, accepted the offer letter, passed the background and drug screen, and was going to start on Monday. They called yesterday saying there was a hiring freeze and she wouldn't be starting. So she is now jobless with no way to get unemployment benefits.

Any lawyery people on here? I get a hiring freeze, but it would seem that would mean future hires, and it seems that she WAS already hired. Just kind of shitting my pants right now.

The US is now in a recession:

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/488388-bank-of-america-the-us-is-now-in-a-recession

Trump is putting the onus on individual states, saying the feds are "not a shipping clerk."

The US is the new epicentre of this disease.

Trump needs to be removed immediately. You guys and the rest of the world can no longer survive this sociopath.

ETA: My husband has been on the phone with US clients all day. These are top echelons of financial institutions. Trump being described as "an abomination" and a "total moral failure" - most of these guys actually voted for him too.

Last edited:
Recession technically can’t start until Q2 has passed, as I understand the term. Which will obviously happen.

Anyways, I think the Chinese are either not honestly reporting, or are not sharing information on treatment and prevention. Italy surpassing China in deaths is unbelievable.

Recession technically can’t start until Q2 has passed, as I understand the term. Which will obviously happen.

Anyways, I think the Chinese are either not honestly reporting, or are not sharing information on treatment and prevention. Italy surpassing China in deaths is unbelievable.

The Chinese Red Cross, operating in Italy has told the Italians that they are not properly locked down.

Chinese doctors in Wuhan worked in shifts and had to wear adult diapers and were not permitted to use washrooms until they were off the ward and the shift had ended. Drones were notifying police who was hauling off people who left their homes, to God knows where. THAT is what it takes. And that's why I actually do believe their numbers.

The US will be markedly worse than Italy.

The Chinese isolated everyone, including those who were asymptomatic. They separated hospitals - covid 19 patients were only allowed in certain hospitals, and regular patients were only allowed on others. The medical professionals who worked on each were only allowed in those hospitals... i.e. corona doctors only worked with corona patients.

We need to be doing the same thing. We won't even test many people with symptoms. We're a free nation full of morbidly obese people, many of whom won't listen to the news anymore because we've had a president who has spent the last 4 years telling everyone that everyone is lying but him.

This is going to ravage us.

Last edited:
The Chinese isolated everyone, including those who were asymptomatic. They separated hospitals - covid 19 patients were only allowed in certain hospitals, and regular patients were only allowed on others. The medical professionals who worked on each were only allowed in those hospitals... i.e. corona doctors only worked with corona patients.

We need to be doing the same thing. We won't even test many people with symptoms. We're a free nation full of morbidly obese people, many of whom won't listen to the news anymore because we've had a president who has spent the last 4 years telling everyone that everyone is lying but him.

This is going to ravage us.

The Chinese contributed to this by a lack of transparency and honesty. I don not believe anything they say.

The thing about comparing death rates is that it is a futile exercise because nobody knows what the denominator is. Nobody knows how many people are tested. South Korea and Germany have a minuscule death rate because they tested tons of people. Italy (and the US) didn't, so the death rates will be much higher.

The side effects of those are wild. I remember some borderline psychotic dreams when I was on them.

Yeah, this has all been kind of abstract for me up until now. My wife was transitioning from one job to another. They told her she got the job, she put in her notice at her old job, accepted the offer letter, passed the background and drug screen, and was going to start on Monday. They called yesterday saying there was a hiring freeze and she wouldn't be starting. So she is now jobless with no way to get unemployment benefits.

Any lawyery people on here? I get a hiring freeze, but it would seem that would mean future hires, and it seems that she WAS already hired. Just kind of shitting my pants right now.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you're in the US I would start by calling your state's dedicated phone number for coronavirus help. If they have one. They could perhaps give you numbers to call.

That's tough though because they're swamped with calls. I had an issue and couldn't even get a call back from that number. So I called my Congressional rep's local office. They did call me back with an answer. They're working from home.

Also try your Governor's office, all their phone numbers. I called mine this morning, their 800 number. A person answered after a few rings. It depends upon how busy they are, but keep trying.

Would also call your state's Dept of Labor and Atty General's office.

The side effects of those are wild. I remember some borderline psychotic dreams when I was on them.

Not sure which ones are being tested for COVID-19, but there are other malaria pills nowadays with much less significant side effects (you just need to start taking them for a longer period of time before and after going to a place that might require them). I've always taken those when I've been to malaria hot spots and they work fine.

Not sure which ones are being tested for COVID-19, but there are other malaria pills nowadays with much less significant side effects (you just need to start taking them for a longer period of time before and after going to a place that might require them). I've always taken those when I've been to malaria hot spots and they work fine.

That’s great because I think there was a low compliance rate with the older generation ones because people couldn’t cope with the side effects.

They are old drugs chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. Most drugs being used at the moment in trials are relatively old antivirals and other old drugs.

Colleagues in my work are part of a trial testing out a range of drugs, led by the WHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom