US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Biden also can’t help himself but have a train wreck in his train of thought.

He keeps failing the listing thing. 1, b, thirdly, etc etc

I always remember that Joe Biden is a stutterer. And I never want to demean anyone who has any form of that, or dementia. My Dad has dementia. It honestly just makes me sad when Joe has those issues. People like Trump making fun of him for that makes me sick.

For me it just comes from my lack of enthusiasm for the choices remaining. But I'm all kinds of enthusiastic for anyone but Trump at this point.

That doesn't mean I think it will be nirvana under anyone but Trump. Far from it, but it will still be an improvement. Just like Hillary would be an improvement over Trump in these dire times.

It's increased the chances that the Democrats will win the White House, but made it all the more imperative that there be real change coming. Biden will woefully short of that.

Enough short of that that it would better giving Trump a second term? You didn't respond to the Supreme Court issue, either. Let's say age isn't an issue for Bernie - let's say he's 60 years old. Let's also say that Biden clearly wins the nomination, but enough people sit out this election because of issues with Biden that Trump wins a second term, and then Bernie is elected President in '24. How much significant structural change could he accomplish, knowing that it would be a 7-2 conservative court deciding the fate of any big proposals?

Anyone else think it's only a matter of time before Trump tweets that the Nov election should be postponed and he should remain President? Out of dedication to the country, of course. MAGA!

Anyone else think it's only a matter of time before Trump tweets that the Nov election should be postponed and he should remain President? Out of dedication to the country, of course. MAGA!

I certainly expect this. But not postponed, cancelled and he just gets grandfathered in for 4 more years.

Only congress can change the election date.

But I do think we are on very shaky ground right now. It could also explain their lack of effort towards this pandemic. Incompetence is still the Occam's razor

Malice seems to be a close 2nd

I certainly expect this. But not postponed, cancelled and he just gets grandfathered in for 4 more years.

There are like 20,000 Dow Jones points still to grind down, so plenty of work for him left.

I'd really rather not think about the "postpone/cancel the election" thing. There's plenty of ways we can still vote, and hopefully this will have all calmed down well before the election, so... Plus, there's plenty of people out there who aren't Trump sycophants and would push back pretty heavily on that.

Honestly, the pandemic and economic strife that is happening has only illuminated how ill-equipped we are. Trump has undoubtedly made things much worse, but the healthcare system as a whole is unprepared. And 40 years of our culture promoting hyper-individualization and productivity as its tenets has resulted in a populace that cannot and will not grapple with the need to take this thing head on until it's too late.

I would be stunned if, should the Democrats take office, universal healthcare doesn't immediately become one of their signature moves in the wake of the current situation. I think this stuff with the Coronavirus is going to further embolden Democrats to push for revitalizing and overhauling our healthcare system, so even if Biden gets into office, we may wind up seeing him be bolder on this issue than many people expect. I guarantee there will be people out there ready and willing to work and push to make sure we never find ourselves in this situation again, and I can easily see Biden working with them.

Like I said before, we can't base our predictions of how somebody will be as president solely off what they say and do on the campaign trail. There's a whole lot of other factors involved that can affect a candidate and cause them to change and shift their platform once they're actually in office.

It's all part of the Q plan. Trust the process....

In all seriousness, they wanted to burn it all down. He's done exactly that.

My hunch is they wanted the fire to only affect liberals and people of color, not their personal savings

Well, that backfired on them pretty spectacularly then, didn't it? That's what happens when one's stupid enough to think that somebody who's willing to treat other groups of people like shit won't then treat them the same way.

Enough short of that that it would better giving Trump a second term? You didn't respond to the Supreme Court issue, either. Let's say age isn't an issue for Bernie - let's say he's 60 years old. Let's also say that Biden clearly wins the nomination, but enough people sit out this election because of issues with Biden that Trump wins a second term, and then Bernie is elected President in '24. How much significant structural change could he accomplish, knowing that it would be a 7-2 conservative court deciding the fate of any big proposals?
The executive branch is so powerful now because of what has transpired since the beginning of the Bush administration that the president can do quite a bit.

The solution is to pack the courts, which I don't believe either candidate has come out as being for as far as I know (and I think this is a big fault of Sanders' platform). Additionally, Biden helped pave the way for Brett Kavanaugh with how he handled Clarence Thomas. I do not trust Biden to get through a legitimately left wing judge; he'll "get a deal done" to get someone center-right through, in all likelihood.

The Democratic Party prefers a scenario where they can put whoever they want in as the nominee and you are going to be guilted into voting for them, because where else are you going to go? They need to understand that putting a half-Republican, half-senile man who shares almost none of my views isn't going to fly. I don't have another way to express this to them than by refusing to vote for him, and making sure that is clear right here, right now. There is still time to move forward another way.

I would be stunned if, should the Democrats take office, universal healthcare doesn't immediately become one of their signature moves in the wake of the current situation. I think this stuff with the Coronavirus is going to further embolden Democrats to push for revitalizing and overhauling our healthcare system, so even if Biden gets into office, we may wind up seeing him be bolder on this issue than many people expect. I guarantee there will be people out there ready and willing to work and push to make sure we never find ourselves in this situation again, and I can easily see Biden working with them.

Like I said before, we can't base our predictions of how somebody will be as president solely off what they say and do on the campaign trail. There's a whole lot of other factors involved that can affect a candidate and cause them to change and shift their platform once they're actually in office.
Based on what? Biden is and always has been sympathetic to big business and corporate interests. His administration would be filled with Democratic lifers who view the ACA/Romneycare/Obamacare as the absolute pinnacle achievement of the last decade.

Universal healthcare will only be a signature move if you elect someone who views private health insurance as an enemy to health justice. And Joe Biden isn't even close to that answer. To vote for him/support him/defend him based on the hope that he'll suddenly come out in favor of legislation he has opposed for his entire career seems very naive to me.

mtokrzpk30n41.jpg

The U.S. Justice Department moved Monday to drop its two-year-long prosecution of a Russian company charged with orchestrating a social media campaign to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The stunning reversal came weeks before the case — a spin off of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe — was to go to trial.

Assistants to U.S. Attorney Timothy Shea of Washington D.C., and Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers cited an unspecified “change in the balance of the government’s proof due to a classification determination,” according to a nine-page filing accompanied by facts under seal.

Prosecutors also cited the failure of the company, Concord Management and Consulting, to comply with trial subpoenas and providing a “misleading” affidavit by Yevgeniy Prigozhin, a co-defendant and the company’s founder. Prigozhin is a catering magnate and military contractor known as “Putin’s chef” because of his ties to Russian President Vladi*mir Putin.

Figured they'd just slip this one in there while nobody is paying attention

No matter the results today, and who knows how we can predict how it will shake out, it was reckless to hold in-person primaries in the midst of a pandemic. Shame on Tom Perez for forcing this through. Whatever results come in will simply not be indicative of what the electorate actually wants. It's impossible to sort through who is staying home and who is not because of this.

I also am astounded by how badly the Democrats in Congress are dealing with this. Somehow the Republican proposals are coming across as more humane (though they are obviously coming from a bad place). The obsession with means testing has made it impossible for them to grapple with a crisis and how to get people the things they desperately need.

it's absolutely idiotic and irresponsible to hold an election of any kind in circumstances like this. i certainly wouldn't go out and stand in line with dozens of strangers to vote today.

I also am astounded by how badly the Democrats in Congress are dealing with this. Somehow the Republican proposals are coming across as more humane (though they are obviously coming from a bad place). The obsession with means testing has made it impossible for them to grapple with a crisis and how to get people the things they desperately need.

Testing, and getting the military involved to assist with hospitals is the most important thing right now. We can do nothing until we know exactly how bad this has spread. Assuming everyone has it does nothing, we need the data.

GOP cares about tax cuts.

Testing, and getting the military involved to assist with hospitals is the most important thing right now. We can do nothing until we know exactly how bad this has spread. Assuming everyone has it does nothing, we need the data.

GOP cares about tax cuts.
It is true that testing is the top priority, but that has nothing to do with what I said. I'm talking about how Congress is trying to deal with the economic fallout when it comes to people not being able to pay bills because they are losing jobs or hours at work. The Democrats passed a bill that ignores 80 percent of workers, and then Pelosi had the gall to say "They should be doing that on their own." No shit! But they don't, so you need to make them.

it's absolutely idiotic and irresponsible to hold an election of any kind in circumstances like this. i certainly wouldn't go out and stand in line with dozens of strangers to vote today.

The Illinois primary is a disaster, many polling places that remained "open" never actually opened because the staffs never went in. The results need to be disregarded, and they need to go back to the drawing board.

It's amazing that a Republican governor in Ohio is handling this better than the Democrats. Tom Perez is giving them the direction to press forward for what reason?

The Illinois primary is a disaster, many polling places that remained "open" never actually opened because the staffs never went in. The results need to be disregarded, and they need to go back to the drawing board.

It's amazing that a Republican governor in Ohio is handling this better than the Democrats. Tom Perez is giving them the direction to press forward for what reason?

Probably in the name of quashing Bernie Sanders.

Not in a tin-foil conspiracy way, but he’s probably focused on getting a nominee now (before shit really hits the fan with covid-19) so that the Dems can be poised to go after Trump.

What he doesn’t realize is that this is actually why covid-19 will be worse.

Probably in the name of quashing Bernie Sanders.

Not in a tin-foil conspiracy way, but he’s probably focused on getting a nominee now (before shit really hits the fan with covid-19) so that the Dems can be poised to go after Trump.

What he doesn’t realize is that this is actually why covid-19 will be worse.
How does low turnout, or a primary where older voters are more likely to stay away, possibly hurt Bernie Sanders?

How does low turnout, or a primary where older voters are more likely to stay away, possibly hurt Bernie Sanders?

No matter the low turnout, Bernie Sanders is currently D.O.N.E.

It’s dang near impossible for him to overcome his deficit, given what the states look like in front of him. I can’t point to a single state that looks like Bernie is geared to potentially win big, which he needs.

Also, millennials are also staying home. Proof is in the numbers... it’s your people who are going outside. We are staying inside to make sure we don’t kill our boomer parents.

Anyways, Bernie in Bernie’s eyes is winning so long as he’s still in it. The only way to keep him in it is to extend time. The only way he stands some magical chance is if something happens to Biden (controversy, disease, whatever).

Pushing things back plays into Sanders’ never-quit campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom