US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are what, 6 billion of the rest of us? Pretty sure the odds are higher the vaccine emerges in one of the other 200+ countries. Imagine if we were all this fucking selfish.

Absolutely. Not to mention a vaccine could emerge in the US from an IMMIGRANT doctor. Even one from MEXICO!

I thought my ability to loathe Trump had reached full capacity. His behavior during this pandemic just increased the capacity. I guess there's really no limit.

If Trump tries to get rid of Dr. Fauci my corona and Trump related stress is really going to go off the deep end.

Just think of how different things could be right now under President Hillary Clinton.

If Trump tries to get rid of Dr. Fauci my corona and Trump related stress is really going to go off the deep end.

Just think of how different things could be right now under President Hillary Clinton.

We could've had the person with actual extensive knowledge and experience, who would've staffed her administration with equally intelligent, experienced people, who was organized and would've been on top of this stuff early on, who wouldn't sit here and pick fights with the press or fire those who weren't showing her cult-like devotion, who would've been in proper communication with other countries and wouldn't have taken golf outings at a Florida resort as this crisis unfolded.

But nope. Better we stuck ourselves with the failed businessman/con man turned reality TV star instead. Because her e-mails, you know.

Also, I really think, if we're fortunate enough to have every last member of the GOP that's up for election voted out of office this year, they should all be barred from being allowed to participate in anything politics-related ever again. And we need to extend that to include any of Trump's family as well. I don't want to see any of them donating to or endorsing or campaigning for anyone. And if we can find a way to punish any members of this administration who dropped the ball so spectacularly-hefty fines or jail time or things of that sort-please, let's do it. Let them have to face actual serious consequences for their hideous lack of response to this.

Also, I really think, if we're fortunate enough to have every last member of the GOP that's up for election voted out of office this year, they should all be barred from being allowed to participate in anything politics-related ever again. And we need to extend that to include any of Trump's family as well. I don't want to see any of them donating to or endorsing or campaigning for anyone. And if we can find a way to punish any members of this administration who dropped the ball so spectacularly-hefty fines or jail time or things of that sort-please, let's do it. Let them have to face actual serious consequences for their hideous lack of response to this.

This needs to be repeated 100x.

Trump is old, decrepit, obese and will be gone soon enough, one way or another.

But the people who enabled him should be run out of town, and shamed until their last day on earth.

I think they’re both looking pretty sharp tonight. I’m 39 and stumble over words every once in a while. Doesn’t mean I’m senile.

This bankruptcy bill part is exactly showcasing why Biden is the better choice than Sanders. Sanders has been an "Independent" his DC career, and has always voted with absolutism. He voted against a bill that had parts of it that helped people making less than 50k, and children, just because he didn't like the rest of it. Biden put in amendments to improve the bill knowing it was going to pass anyway.
Now he's adopting Warren's plan to improve it, now that we will hopefully have a Dem house and possibly Senate.
This is how change happens. Over years and pushing for changes when you can even when you're in the minority. Not voting against anything that isn't perfect. It's the fundamental reason I've always had trouble lining up with Sanders.

I thought it was kind of funny. When Biden said he would pick a female Vice President, and Bernie said that he was moving in that direction. I thought, well, Sanders has made good inroads with Latino voters, so maybe he has Castro in mind.
But then I thought, having Sanders/Castro signs and bumper stickers may just be too much of a gift for Trump.

Honestly, if the simple fact of the matter that the alternative is Donald Trump isn’t enough to convince you, then what’s the point. You said earlier that you might not have even voted for Warren if she were the candidate. You can’t honestly say that Warren is worse than Clinton on health care, the environment, and any other issue progressives hold dear. So what is it you actually want? You do realize that voting for president isn’t just voting for one person, right? You do realize that putting Biden in office also puts progressives in the party in a better position to push their agenda and influence the president, right? If you’re truly interested in pushing progressive ideas into the mainstream, then guess what, Democrats are the way forward. Every single democratic candidate is pushing an agenda far more progressive than they were 4, 8 or 12 years ago. And if you want to put progressives in positions where they can meaningfully impact national policy, you have to put democrats in power. That means that sometimes we’re going to have to vote for people with glaring flaws, but who will allow those who do champion our causes to better position themselves to shape policy. It is that simple.

It would be one thing if the Republican incumbent was some milquetoast, run-of-the-mill Republican. But you should damn well know that this isn’t a low stakes election. If Trump puts two more conservative justices on the Supreme Court, you can kiss any hopes of enacting progressive policy goodbye for DECADES. You want Medicare for all? A 7-2 court ain’t going to help you there. You want more environmentally responsible policy? Good luck with a 7-2 court. You want government cracking down on capitalism run amok? Let’s have a 7-2 conservative court tackle that, and see how corporations fare. For decades.

It sure seems like it.
I don't know how you can believe any of that about Biden, though. He doesn't seem to have any commitment beyond trying to convince whoever is listening that he's on your side, which means he doesn't believe anything. I just watched a two hour debate last night in which I had to constantly sort out whether he was lying or genuinely forgetting basic facts about his own record. It's a perpetual battle between his encroaching senility and his duplicitous nature. That he doesn't lie with quite the boldness and frequency of Trump is of little comfort.

Honestly, the pandemic and economic strife that is happening has only illuminated how ill-equipped we are. Trump has undoubtedly made things much worse, but the healthcare system as a whole is unprepared. And 40 years of our culture promoting hyper-individualization and productivity as its tenets has resulted in a populace that cannot and will not grapple with the need to take this thing head on until it's too late.

It's increased the chances that the Democrats will win the White House, but made it all the more imperative that there be real change coming. Biden will woefully short of that.

So we're down 2700 in the DOW so far. This was after saying that the Fed is bringing interest rates down to 0. Trump has beaten the Fed down so badly the last couple years that we are now at a point where there is little else in the arsenal to help. This is what having a sociopath in office has brought us.

What happens when the winning stops, and will the “Keep America Great” merchandise be donated to kids in 3rd world countries like the Super Bowl losers’ merchandise?

It's all part of the Q plan. Trust the process....

In all seriousness, they wanted to burn it all down. He's done exactly that.

My hunch is they wanted the fire to only affect liberals and people of color, not their personal savings

This was inevitable regardless of the leader, but it didn’t have to be this bad.

Clarification: “this bad” refers to the inability to hold back the flood gates on the stock market and the public health infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom