US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that clip of him saying "i take no responsibility" is a very generous gift to democrats at every level of every ticket.

I think that Trump's entire schtick has been that he can always flat out lie and spin his way out of the target of journalists and congress and lawyers, etc... And even though most of his mouth-breathing masses know he's lying and cheating the whole time, it's what they like about him. He entertained them, he got one over on the liberal media, on those baby killing democrats. It didn't matter how. The economy was doing good, and his racism was a plus for a lot of them too.
So let him do his Trump thing and watch the libs cry.

Well, this is different. Very different. And it is different than Katrina. Katrina was a localized problem. Only economy hurt was in that area. This is the whole country, and beyond. Something that has shut down every sports team, every broadway play, concert, theaters, Disneyland, schools. Hospitals are likely to be overrun. Tens of thousands will likely die. A recession is looming as we are looking at negative GDP on the horizon.

Not only does everyone know he fucked this up. But they see a bumbling sweaty mess, making things worse every time he opens his mouth.

I am so looking forward to a crushing defeat of this worthless, vile, piece of shit.

“Tens of thousands will likely die??” This isn’t the 1918 Spanish Flu, the 2009 Swine Flu (which no one here will want to discuss the response and outcome of) , or even the flu TODAY. I get being cautious and stopping the spread of corona, that’s important. However, most people recover from this within a couple of weeks. This seems to be the kind of overreaction that we don’t need

Last edited:
Ahhh one of the last remaining "conservative independent" hold outs.

I thought the glorious leader said it was ok for you guys to acknowledge this now?

Statistical models meant to project the potential reach of the coronavirus and the COVID-19 disease suggest more than a million Americans could die if the nation does not take swift action to stop its spread as quickly as possible.

At least three different models built by epidemiology experts suggest that millions of Americans will contract the coronavirus, even in optimistic projections, based on what they know of its spread in China and the United States so far.

One model from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggested that between 160 million and 210 million Americans could contract the disease over as long as a year. Based on mortality data and current hospital capacity, the number of deaths under the CDC's scenarios ranged from 200,000 to as many as 1.7 million.

It found as many as 21 million people might need hospitalization, a daunting figure in a nation with just about 925,000 hospital beds.

The CDC's model was described to The Hill by an expert who watched the presentation. The New York Times first reported its existence.

"CDC is working with federal partners on modeling efforts to estimate how many COVID-19 illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths might occur under various hypothetical scenarios and what the economic impact of COVID-19 might be on the United States. This type of modeling work is commonly used as a planning tool during outbreaks and can help inform the public health response, as well as other policies (e.g. economic policies) to mitigate the potential impact on the United States," a CDC spokesman said in a statement.

The spokesman said the modeling can help health systems plan for a surge in patients and help the CDC plan to distribute medical experts and equipment. It also helps show local governments when mitigation steps like school closures are wise.

Another model built by experts at Resolve to Save Lives, a global health nonprofit, and the Council on Foreign Relations found the number of potential deaths could range from as few as 163,500, if the virus is no more deadly than seasonal influenza, to more than 1.6 million if the virus carries a mortality rate of just 1 percent.

Those figures are based on estimates that half of Americans will contract the virus.

Globally, the numbers are even more staggering. Five researchers at Harvard's T.H. Chan School of Public Health estimated that between 20 percent and 60 percent of everyone on earth - or between 1.4 billion and 4.2 billion people - could eventually contract the disease.

If the virus only kills 1 percent of those who contract it, somewhere between 14 million and 42 million people are at risk. In countries like Iran and Italy, where health systems are overrun, the mortality rate can be much higher.

The models are meant to project how a virus spreads around the world, including assumptions for both best- and worst-case scenarios. Those worst-case scenarios assume societies take no action against the virus - and in some cases the eye-popping numbers can spur a community to action, said Tom Frieden, the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who now runs Resolve to Save Lives.

"Modeling is to inform planning so that the worst-case scenarios are much less likely to occur," he said in an email. "The range of estimates is huge. We need much more information, fast, to understand how to limit the harms."

The CDC warned that new data was still coming in, and that assumptions about the virus - how readily it spreads, how deadly it might be - continue to evolve.

"This is a rapidly evolving situation and information is changing quickly. Estimates based on data from other countries might not be applicable to the United States and it is unclear how the COVID-19 situation will play out in this country," the agency spokesman said.

Governments across the world have taken a range of actions meant to hew closer to best-case outcomes, ranging from China's harsh crackdowns and enforced quarantines to South Korea's vast army of testers who screen motorists at drive-through stations.

In the United States, where the federal government has been slower to act, state governments have moved to squelch outbreaks in their backyards. Mobile testing stations have opened in Minnesota and Colorado. Large gatherings have been prohibited in Washington, New York, Oregon and elsewhere. Several states have won approval from the Food and Drug Administration to begin testing patients for the virus, and New York has even rolled out its own plan to make tens of thousands of gallons of hand sanitizer every day.

edit: awww you edited overreaction out of your post

Last edited:
Ahhh one of the last remaining "conservative independent" hold outs.

I thought the glorious leader said it was ok for you guys to acknowledge this now?

edit: awww you edited overreaction out of your post

Did you miss the part in what you shared that “estimates continue to evolve”, and that the entire article is based on speculation, and that I acknowledged that the actions of social distancing are beneficial and I agree with them?

And sorry Snopes, I still have the word overreaction in my post that “tens of thousands may die”.

Libs gonna lib

Did you miss the part in what you shared that “estimates continue to evolve”, and that the entire article is based on speculation, and that I acknowledged that the actions of social distancing are beneficial and I agree with them?

And sorry Snopes, I still have the word overreaction in my post that “tens of thousands may die”.

Libs gonna lib

Well considering that this virus pandemic is really just beginning and already there have been 4981 deaths world wide, yes it will be in the tens of thousands that will end up dead by the end of it.

For Trump it has been about the stock market and his re-election from the first day, and always will be. Anyone who can't see that is refusing to for various reasons. And I feel sorry for anyone who thinks Trump cares about them on a human level, in the midst of this pandemic or any other time. He is devoid of that. My non professional opinion is that he's a pathological narcissist.

“Tens of thousands will likely die??” This isn’t the 1918 Spanish Flu, the 2009 Swine Flu (which no one here will want to discuss the response and outcome of) , or even the flu TODAY. I get being cautious and stopping the spread of corona, that’s important. However, most people recover from this within a couple of weeks. This seems to be the kind of overreaction that we don’t need

Maybe look that mortality rate for the Spanish Flu. We'll wait.

Also if you're at it, look up why it's called the Spanish Flu.

“the 2009 Swine Flu (which no one here will want to discuss the response and outcome of)

Oh no, let’s talk about it. The swine flu was first diagnosed on 4/15/09. CDC called for emergency operations exactly one week later. 1 million swine flu tests were released by May 15th, 1 month later.

The US government knew about covid-19 in January. It’s now mid March, and there have only been 11,000 tests so far. Not to mention the fact that Trump fired the WH pandemic response team and proposed cuts to the CDC and his administration is still standing by those cuts as of THIS WEEK.

But yes, it’s all Obama’s fault.

Trumpers, I mean, independent conservatives, gonna Trump, I mean, independently conserve.

Last edited:
Trump is a one-trick pony, so he's doing it again: Claim Obama's management of a situation was worse, having Fox News and other sycophants amplifying the message, watch the rest of the media write lengthy fact checks that consist of, "Not entirely true, but admitted, this could've been done better", and whenever someone's trying to get the focus back on the situation at hand just shouting, "But Obama!"

If the measures put in place are successful enough to avoid ugly pictures, he might even get away with it. While I hope that the US will manage to contain the outbreak and flatten the curve, I also wish that this time he really won't get away with it. But I'm sure over the next months we'll hear him, the rest of the Administration and the right wing sphere hammer down the message that Biden was responsible for the response to the H1N1 pandemic, and that it was terrible.

And of course they will all conveniently ignore such important points as:
- the response to the H1N1 outbreak was swift
- the response was based on lessons learnt and guidelines derived from earlier pandemics
- the response was then subsequently analyzed in order to find out what worked and what didn't, and where are gaps in knowledge
- test kits were available, they just carried the sticker "Made in Germany" instead of "America First! Made in China"

and most importantly:

- it doesn't matter, because you [the current Administration] fucked up the response to the crisis at hand, despite having had ten years of research and lessons learnt! If you want praise for what you are doing, do it better!

Last edited:
For Trump it has been about the stock market and his re-election from the first day, and always will be. Anyone who can't see that is refusing to for various reasons. And I feel sorry for anyone who thinks Trump cares about them on a human level, in the midst of this pandemic or any other time. He is devoid of that. My non professional opinion is that he's a pathological narcissist.

Living here you've obviously seen Charlie Baker doing pressers the past few days and Trump doing his.
The contrast is glaring. When Baker speaks you feel his empathy, some bit of assurance that proper steps are being taken and absolutely that public health is his primary concern.
With Trump you get none of that.

Living here you've obviously seen Charlie Baker doing pressers the past few days and Trump doing his.
The contrast is glaring. When Baker speaks you feel his empathy, some bit of assurance that proper steps are being taken and absolutely that public health is his primary concern.
With Trump you get none of that.

So true. Charlie Baker really proved it to me when he got choked up talking about his Dad and how he can't visit him now. I can't visit my Dad now either and it hurts so much. The only difference is that his Dad is in a much nicer facility because Charlie is wealthy.

When he talked about taking care of elderly people because of what they've done for us I'm not ashamed to say that I cried. He's been made fun of for how emotional he is and that's pathetic. I want to see that in a leader and a politician.

After he said that I felt so proud that I voted for him. The one and only Republican I've ever voted for, and I don't care if he's a RINO.

I'm super impressed that the lame stream media and the liberal elite deep state has been able to get Spain to go along with their overreaction ruse

The Europeans are all communists.

Norway and Denmark closing airports.

The idiot Trump voters or "independents" who want to be lackadaisical about this are just extra. Demographically, most of them are the #1 target victim of this virus.

They say Trump's Covid test came back negative.
He tweeted that it was negative, but if it hadn't been he wouldn't have told anyone
Then deleted that tweet.
I'm guessing if we don't see any public appearances the next few days, we can assume that he does have it.

They say Trump's Covid test came back negative.
He tweeted that it was negative, but if it hadn't been he wouldn't have told anyone
Then deleted that tweet.
I'm guessing if we don't see any public appearances the next few days, we can assume that he does have it.

Can't say I'm surprised at all by that tweet. I want him the hell out of that WH.

Biden might or might not try to get countries to work together on vaccines, but he'd definitely not try to get companies to relocate and produce vaccines only for the US.

Welt am Sonntag quoted an unidentified German government source as saying Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa-idUSKBN2120IV

Biden might or might not try to get countries to work together on vaccines, but he'd definitely not try to get companies to relocate and produce vaccines only for the US.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa-idUSKBN2120IV

Trump is a disgusting so called “human being”. I also heard he was hoping to slow down the test kits so that the number of cases wouldn’t go higher and effect his chances for re election. Trump has a very special place in hell reserved for him! Very special place indeed!

Trump is a POS for trying to get a vaccine for US only. He has lots of supporters who would agree with that too.

There are what, 6 billion of the rest of us? Pretty sure the odds are higher the vaccine emerges in one of the other 200+ countries. Imagine if we were all this fucking selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom