US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brazil's leadership are taking measures to quarantine themselves after their positive test.

Is there a reason why Pence or Trump are not?

If he wants to take his chances at his age and health, by all means, please proceed.

Just have to say it-who the hell votes for Trump after all this? Unless he discovers a cure for covid 19. And I'd say that ain't happening, unless the secret involves something in hamberders and soda.

I think info will leak out about things he said about the virus, things he did and didn't do, etc. It will be like Ukraine call covid 19 version.

There will be people who will vote for him no matter what.

I love how he capitalizes and makes two words out of the virus.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

108 countries are dealing with the CoronaVirus problem, some of which we are helping!

Hillary Clinton
@HillaryClinton
·
7h
I know this is all hard for you,
@realdonaldtrump
, so let me spell it out:

- Free testing
- Fee waivers
- Emergency sick leave
- Quarantines
- Cancellations
- Giving a damn

You’re right, we should totally walk away from this election and give Trump two more SCOTUS seats because the dem candidate isn’t ideal. That’s by far the better outcome for the left and its hopes for this country.
To reduce my criticism to "he isn't ideal" is insultingly reductive. The world is on fire, and he is horrific on the environment. There is a pandemic, and he is horrific on healthcare.

And sorry if I'm not swayed by Supreme Court arguments in favor of the guy responsible for putting Clarence Thomas on the bench.

This pandemic is the perfect example of how critical Medicare for All is. So many people are about to lose their jobs with this looming recession and lose their healthcare as a result. Half measures continue to quite literally kill people and the numbers are going to skyrocket.

we need a reason to be happy today:

Democrats smell blood in Texas after sky-high primary turnout

Staggeringly high Democratic turnout in the Texas suburbs last week has the party bullish about capturing a half-dozen seats that slipped through its grasp in the 2018 midterms.

Democratic primaries in six GOP-held districts saw a roughly 100 percent increase in voters compared to 2016, according to a POLITICO analysis of turnout data. The spike indicates that a lethal recipe might be brewing for Republicans in the run-up to November: President Donald Trump’s unpopularity in the suburbs, combined with rapid demographic change and an amped-up Democratic base.

After coming tantalizingly close to flipping several red-leaning seats in 2018, Democratic candidates are gearing up in and around the state’s five largest cities. Their game plan: win over moderates and independents repelled by the president, and bring in as many new Democratic voters as possible.

Democrats are targeting seven Republican-held districts, though it’s more likely that three or four are truly in play right now. The implications are huge for the congressional landscape: If Democrats seriously contest a half-dozen seats, Republicans will have to spend millions protecting once-safe districts in major media markets, minimizing their odds of taking back the House.

"One thing I’ve learned in my electoral experience is that a single election cycle is like a lifetime in terms of what a population shift can create," Wendy Davis, the 2014 Democratic nominee for governor now running against a freshman GOP congressman, said in an interview before a recent campaign event in Austin.

"I want Texas to turn blue,” she said, “and I’m going to do everything I can to make that happen."

GOP retirements in three of the targeted districts have emboldened Democrats, since winning an open seat is generally much easier than taking out an incumbent.

Democrats are best positioned to flip a sprawling West Texas seat from which Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas), a powerhouse fundraiser and nimble campaigner, is retiring. The next most promising targets are two open seats outside of Houston and Dallas, and Republican Rep. Michael McCaul’s district, which stretches east from Austin to Greater Houston.

[...]

The increase in Democratic primary turnout last week could stem from a few sources: a rise in new voters; voters who typically participate only in general elections going to the polls; or voters who had previously voted Republican.

In six of the Democratic-targeted districts, between 8 and 12 percent of early voters in the 2020 Democratic primary had voted in a Republican primary in either 2016, 2018 or both years, according to tabulations by the Lone Star Project, a group that provides research and campaign assistance to Democratic candidates. (Democratic operatives estimate early voters typically makes up half of the total electorate, if not more.)

[...]

Republicans scoffed at the idea that Democrats have finally discovered how to unlock enough non-voters to flip these districts. But privately, some GOP operatives concede that new voters, combined with independents and moderates turned off by Trump, could offer a winning coalition.

That appears to be Davis' game plan for her run against Roy, a freshman who won with 50 percent of the vote In 2018. Though Davis' 2013 filibuster against abortion restrictions turned her into a national liberal icon, she started her legislative career by flipping a conservative state Senate district.

[...]

In McCaul's central Texas district, the two Democrats who advanced to a runoff differ on key policies.

Mike Siegel, a civil rights attorney who lost a closer-than-expected race to McCaul in 2018, is stressing his support for the Green New Deal and Medicare for All.

“The way a Democrat can beat McCaul is not by trying to take his Republican voters, but by turning out folks who haven’t been engaged in the process,” he said in an interview last month outside an early voting location. “I don’t need to convert Trump voters to win.”

That stance is at odds with his runoff opponent, physician Pritesh Gandhi, who is tacking more toward the center — an approach used by many of the Democrats who flipped red-hued seats in the midterms.

"To defeat McCaul we need to have a message that appeals to Republicans [and] Democrats," Gandhi said. "You don’t win this race by just bringing out your base."

Speaking of insultingly reductive.
If you want to defend the laundry list of awful shit in Joe Biden's past, be my guest. If you want to convince me to vote for him, you're gonna have to go point-by-point on why all of that is okay. I'm absolutely serious about this, if you want to have the discussion. But if you're going to reduce all of it to "Sorry he's not perfect!" I am going to tune you and anyone else doing that out. It's a very easy way for me to see that you don't actually take any criticism from the left seriously, and that you are just part of the problem.

This isn't some petulant tantrum I'm throwing because I didn't get my way. I feel a tremendous amount of guilt for voting for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 general election and whitewashing her actions in Libya. Joe Biden is worse than she is. I'm not making the same mistake this time around.

If the Democrats want my vote in this election, they should nominate someone worthy of it. Joe Biden is not. I do not trust him to make a positive impact on any issue.

I think it needs to also be understood that Bernie Sanders is far from my ideal candidate. He is a compromise candidate for me. But he's worthy of a vote, unlike the rest.

If you want to defend the laundry list of awful shit in Joe Biden's past, be my guest. If you want to convince me to vote for him, you're gonna have to go point-by-point on why all of that is okay. I'm absolutely serious about this, if you want to have the discussion. But if you're going to reduce all of it to "Sorry he's not perfect!" I am going to tune you and anyone else doing that out. It's a very easy way for me to see that you don't actually take any criticism from the left seriously, and that you are just part of the problem.

This isn't some petulant tantrum I'm throwing because I didn't get my way. I feel a tremendous amount of guilt for voting for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 general election and whitewashing her actions in Libya. Joe Biden is worse than she is. I'm not making the same mistake this time around.

If the Democrats want my vote in this election, they should nominate someone worthy of it. Joe Biden is not. I do not trust him to make a positive impact on any issue.

I think it needs to also be understood that Bernie Sanders is far from my ideal candidate. He is a compromise candidate for me. But he's worthy of a vote, unlike the rest.

I get that you may not like Biden and you don’t have to like him obviously but if it comes down to a Biden vs Trump general election, are you saying you will not vote at all or you will vote for trump? I think either option would benefit trump. So honest question (and not a dis on you are anything), what will you do if it comes to that? Because if forced between those two, I think it is quite clear who the lesser of the two evils is. This is what really worries me, a lot of the Bernie supporters may not vote at all to spite Biden which will effectively give trump a win. I have a friend who has been posting non stop since last Tuesday about how upset he is that sanders is not doing well and he said he is not going to vote at all. If you don’t vote at all, you might as well vote for trump. This is why I think trump could win again.

Last edited:

Honestly, if the simple fact of the matter that the alternative is Donald Trump isn’t enough to convince you, then what’s the point. You said earlier that you might not have even voted for Warren if she were the candidate. You can’t honestly say that Warren is worse than Clinton on health care, the environment, and any other issue progressives hold dear. So what is it you actually want? You do realize that voting for president isn’t just voting for one person, right? You do realize that putting Biden in office also puts progressives in the party in a better position to push their agenda and influence the president, right? If you’re truly interested in pushing progressive ideas into the mainstream, then guess what, Democrats are the way forward. Every single democratic candidate is pushing an agenda far more progressive than they were 4, 8 or 12 years ago. And if you want to put progressives in positions where they can meaningfully impact national policy, you have to put democrats in power. That means that sometimes we’re going to have to vote for people with glaring flaws, but who will allow those who do champion our causes to better position themselves to shape policy. It is that simple.

It would be one thing if the Republican incumbent was some milquetoast, run-of-the-mill Republican. But you should damn well know that this isn’t a low stakes election. If Trump puts two more conservative justices on the Supreme Court, you can kiss any hopes of enacting progressive policy goodbye for DECADES. You want Medicare for all? A 7-2 court ain’t going to help you there. You want more environmentally responsible policy? Good luck with a 7-2 court. You want government cracking down on capitalism run amok? Let’s have a 7-2 conservative court tackle that, and see how corporations fare. For decades.

This isn’t some petulant tantrum I’m throwing because I didn’t get my way.

It sure seems like it.

I feel a tremendous amount of guilt for voting for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 general election and whitewashing her actions in Libya. Joe Biden is worse than she is.

Holy shit. I’m hoping that you find a good mental health professional in the near future.

More reasons to be hopeful:

Joseph R. Biden Jr. didn’t just win the Michigan primary this week. The turnout and demographic patterns of voters, from African-Americans in Detroit to affluent suburbanites to working-class white voters in rural areas, provided evidence of a broader Democratic coalition than the party mobilized in 2016, a powerful warning shot to the Trump campaign.

In that last general election, Hillary Clinton struggled with white voters and independents, and underperformed with black voters compared with Barack Obama in 2012 and 2008. To the surprise of both political parties, Donald J. Trump carried the state by 10,700 votes, the first time a Republican had won Michigan in 28 years.

What stands out about Mr. Biden’s victory on Tuesday is that he performed well not only among his bedrock supporters, black voters, but also drew solid backing from other key demographic groups — including college-educated white women, moderates and those over 45 — in a primary that shattered Democratic turnout records by more than 30 percent.

“The massive high turnout is very, very bad news in Michigan for the Trump campaign,” said Richard Czuba, a nonpartisan pollster who has surveyed the state for more than three decades. “Everybody is motivated to vote. And in a state like Michigan, when you have a record turnout coming — and I think we do in November — that is a huge benefit to the Democratic nominee. There just aren’t enough Republicans in Michigan.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/...imary-trump.html?referringSource=articleShare

This is how it works. Not by fiat or tantrum, but by persuasion and progress.

he's allowed to not vote for joe biden if his conscience really tells him not to, everyone.

you can disagree with him all you want to, but calling that a tantrum or a sign of mental illness is pretty insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom