US Politics XXI: Old Man 3-Way - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #841
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
My worry about climate change is the possibility of the notion that public transportation will be considered dangerous after all this.
Maybe.

But it will also be offset by a decrease in air traffic. Businesses are now realizing how frivolous most business travel is. And people will be skittish about vacationing too far from home - especially the elderly and those with kids.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #842
Blue Crack Addict

I’m hoping this revolutionizes telework, so the notion of needing to physically be there exists only for meetings.

Because I genuinely don’t need to go to work for what I do.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I’m hoping this revolutionizes telework, so the notion of needing to physically be there exists only for meetings.

Because I genuinely don’t need to go to work for what I do.
And just think of the massive savings that businesses could have in terms of leasing commercial space. Particularly those that are in the highest-cost cities.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #844
Blue Crack Addict

In the last two weeks, Trump's approval rating over COVID-19 has slid from 55% to 47% per ABC News/Ipsos.

So he got a shitty bump and it's already over. Now watch this slide down and down and down.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #845
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Agree. I’m doing my job right now in my car as i wait for my dog to come out of the vet.

I haven’t logged onto a server in the same room as me for years.

Right before this all hit the company i contract for was changing their WFH policy, back to an old method of requiring people to be in office unless emergencies.

An emergency hit
Old 04-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #846
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
In the last two weeks, Trump's approval rating over COVID-19 has slid from 55% to 47% per ABC News/Ipsos.

So he got a shitty bump and it's already over. Now watch this slide down and down and down.
Let's hope so!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #847
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

How can you expect him to focus and do a good job when his feelings were hurt by impeachment?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #848
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm not the biggest fan of working from home. sure, it's great to have that flexibility, but i find so much is lost when you don't have face-to-face interactions with people. one of the worst working experiences i've ever had was at a place where everything was done over Slack. i still have PTSD from the experience -- that shit gets so passive aggressive. it's simply not a replacement for person-to-person interactions with body language and inflection and tone -- i want to look at people and connect so we really understand each other. but then, my business is so intensely collaborative that it could be an outlier.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #849
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:22 PM
There are studies out there (I can't find the one I recently read unfortunately) about how productivity declines when people work exclusively in remote situations. Just think of any situation you've been in where a 30-second in-person chat with someone could have resolved multiple email clarifications or a zoom meeting where everyone struggles to talk over each other. That doesn't mean people have to spend 40 hours a week in the office, though. Most industries can probably get away with a balance.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #850
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
There are studies out there (I can't find the one I recently read unfortunately) about how productivity declines when people work exclusively in remote situations. Just think of any situation you've been in where a 30-second in-person chat with someone could have resolved multiple email clarifications or a zoom meeting where everyone struggles to talk over each other. That doesn't mean people have to spend 40 hours a week in the office, though. Most industries can probably get away with a balance.

Yes. This.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #851
Blue Crack Addict

Agree with the above. I typically work 1-2 days a week. If I have a lot of conference calls scheduled for example (because clients are all around the country/world) then there is no advantage of commuting to work when I can do the same thing from home. I also tend to work from home when I need to really concentrate on a task (drafting, reviewing contracts for example) because if I'm in my office, there is a constant stream of people in and out and at home it's much more quiet and less distracting.

I think that most of us could easily work from home/office on a 50/50 basis and save a lot of overhead costs.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #852
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
And just think of the massive savings that businesses could have in terms of leasing commercial space. Particularly those that are in the highest-cost cities.

I personally don’t understand why office space must be dedicated in the size that it is.

And think of how much you could bring down housing prices if you converted some of those wasteful skyscraper office buildings into residential space.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #853
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
And think of how much you could bring down housing prices if you converted some of those wasteful skyscraper office buildings into residential space.
I don't think making spaces in skyscrapers housing would do much to lower costs. They'd charge an arm and a leg for the views.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #854
Blue Crack Addict

so far i've been WAY more productive working from home, mostly because i work in a very open-plan office around a lot of loud, chatty people near the printer room so i'm constantly being interrupted or distracted. one of the biggest office pet peeves of mine is when people just stroll over for a chat when i'm clearly in the middle of working on something. having headphones on my ears makes no difference at all to some people who just start chatting anyways. and i'm not the kind of person who can politely ask someone to leave me be without making it obvious that i'm passive-aggressively telling them to fuck off.

i greatly prefer being able to deal with things when i can focus 100% on something like billing and have it take two hours of solid work, rather than it requiring an entire day to get it done because someone is coming over every 20 minutes to ask me a question about something unrelated to billing or just to make small talk while they wait for the printer, or getting completely distracted because angela and phyllis are having a very loud and excited conversation about their lunches. when i'm home, anything that isn't critical i can just ignore it at the time and answer that question on slack once i'm done and ready to deal with other things.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #855
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
having headphones on my ears makes no difference at all to some people who just start chatting anyways.

Lol I've had this experience many times. Personally I think wearing headphones is a universal sign not to be bothered, but very few people around me seem to think the same.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #856
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I don't think making spaces in skyscrapers housing would do much to lower costs. They'd charge an arm and a leg for the views.

Supply and demand... the cost of the shitty places would go down if you suddenly quadrupled the capacity.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #857
Blue Crack Supplier

Sorry wrong thread, will remove
Old 04-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #858
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The purge of intelligence continues

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/...086672896?s=21
Old 04-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #859
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
While I’m still holding out hope that the numbers may not be as bad as we fear, and there are unique aspects to life in NYC that made it hit so hard there, my optimism shrinks each day.

It’s pretty clear that American society is structured around work and consumerism, and it's made self quarantining very difficult to do, or at least to do quickly in the absence of strong leadership. And we have terrible leadership in the White House, wildly different quality of leadership from state to state, and a health care system that is inadequate and expensive, which keeps many people from seeking help in a timely fashion.
This does get to the heart of it. The United States became a heavily service-based economy after the 2007-08 financial crisis (it was probably trending that way anyway, but it certainly accelerated it). Something like 80 percent of the jobs that were created after 2008 were gig economy jobs. And then you have a crisis that starts with the service industry, immediately impacting those people who, by and large, already live paycheck-to-paycheck. And don't have healthcare.

And we gave them $1200 for the year. I don't believe that is enough to even pay one monthly premium if they're on an ACA plan.

This crisis will be like nothing we have ever seen.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #860
Blue Crack Addict

Joe Rogan, King Idiot:

Quote:
“I’d rather vote for Trump than [Biden],” said Rogan. “I don’t think [Biden] can handle anything. You’re relying entirely on his cabinet. If you want to talk about an individual leader who can communicate, he can’t do that. And we don’t know what the fuck he’ll be like after a year in office.

The pressure of being president of the United States is something that no one has ever prepared for. The only one who seems to be fine with it is Trump, oddly enough.

The president is 73 but Rogan said: “He doesn’t seem to be aging at all or in any sort of decline. Obama, almost immediately, started looking older. George W [Bush], almost immediately, started looking older.”
Maybe the others started getting older because they were ACTUALLY DOING THEIR JOB.

And maybe, just maybe, the pressure "doesn't get to" Trump like anyone else is because he's a narcissistic sociopath who is entirely unconcerned with the health, wellbeing, or lives of other people.

So sick of people like Rogan, idiot grifters.